Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

What's old is new again. Columbia and others divested after these protests.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 am What's old is new again. Columbia and others divested after these protests.

Yep
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

So the new ideology coming out of Columbia is...

DEATH TO ISRAEL ☠️

DEATH TO AMERICA ☠️
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NOw they want you to wear wristbands. Maybe they could go to 'Arm Bands" like another group did in history?

https://x.com/SiaKordestani/status/1785397163662745610
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:23 pm NOw they want you to wear wristbands. Maybe they could go to 'Arm Bands" like another group did in history?

Far right and far left? Same freaking thing. As you said, I wish they'd shut the F up and go away.

Edit to add: UCLA just canceled classes.

Arrest any of these wankers for disturbing classes. Jail them until the semester is over, or sign a restraining order keeping them off campus.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

To add little more gravity into the conversation, ~175 people per day are killed in Gaza, with 70-90% of them being civilians.

But don't worry, the cops are indeed arresting and cracking skulls of college kids. I'm sure that'll solve the problem.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:23 pm NOw they want you to wear wristbands. Maybe they could go to 'Arm Bands" like another group did in history?

Far right and far left? Same freaking thing. As you said, I wish they'd shut the F up and go away.

Arrest any of these wankers for disturbing classes. Jail them until the semester is over, or sign a restraining order keeping them off campus.
Agreed.....and AOC is encouraging the mayor and police to stand down...(shocker I know). Encouraging the inmates to run the asylum.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:25 pm

Agreed.....and AOC is encouraging the mayor and police to stand down...(shocker I know). Encouraging the inmates to run the asylum.
Keep swimming against the tide…

Curious how the same patterns repeat. And every cohort thinks they’re original.

Given the numbers in the current population, the rate of change seems….incremental, at best.

Better hope Gen Z doesn’t hold a grudge, cause the demographic sun is starting to set on the Boomers and early Xers. Or is that the thrust of 2025? Permanent rule by the soon-to-be minority?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:59 pm

Given the numbers in the current population, the rate of change seems….incremental, at best.

Better hope Gen Z doesn’t hold a grudge, cause the demographic sun is starting to set on the Boomers and early Xers. Or is that the thrust of 2025? Permanent rule by the soon-to-be minority?
Don't care who it is, or what the cause is....keeping your fellow students from getting their education ain't cool.

I have plenty of gripes. But I'm not going to keep you from working or getting your education to voice my concerns.

These handful----handful---of protesters in no way rep Gen Z. Not even close.

And when these students graduate from these top schools? They're going to spend all their time getting a good job, and this stuff will be a "remember when we....." story.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Civil disobedience has an honorable history in the USA.

Vandalism not so honorable, violence not so honorable.

Seems to me that differentiation matters. Just as not all 10,000 on Jan 6 did more than trespass on restricted outdoor grounds, and perhaps chant stupid or hateful things, so too most of these protesters have not done worse as well.

But like many other such events, some do worse. And some much worse. And deserve appropriate repercussions, whether within an educational community, which is a matter of privilege not right, or criminally.

Certainly there would be justification to treat those from outside the college community differently than those within. They are criminally trespassing if don’t leave on request, whereas a college student really isn’t though they may be breaching code of conduct or other rules of campus. Vandalism and violence are criminal, period.

Certainly, attempts to deescalate are preferable as long as that effort is not abused by those seeking to escalate. But trying to do so is important when the ultimate power is so unbalanced. So, at least try, while being clear eyed about who the opposition to such efforts may be.

In this matter, apparently there are not insignificant numbers of agitators and participants who are not students of that campus nor any direct connection.

Clear those out.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:30 pm Civil disobedience has an honorable history in the USA.

Seems to me that differentiation matters. Just as not all 10,000 on Jan 6 did more than trespass on restricted outdoor grounds, and perhaps chant stupid or hateful things, so too most of these protesters have not done worse as well.

But like many other such events, some do worse. And some much worse. And deserve appropriate repercussions, whether within an educational community, which is a matter of privilege not right, or criminally.

Certainly there would be justification to treat those from outside the college community differently than those within. They are criminally trespassing if don’t leave on request, whereas a college student really isn’t though they may be breaching code of conduct or other rules of campus. Vandalism and violence are criminal, period.

Certainly, attempts to deescalate are preferable as long as that effort is not abused by those seeking to escalate. But trying to do so is important when the ultimate power is so unbalanced. So, at least try, while being clear eyed about who the opposition to such efforts may be.

In this matter, apparently there are not insignificant numbers of agitators and participants who are not students of that campus nor any direct connection.

Clear those out.
Conjecture or is there some factual basis? If factual, what is sample size and mechanism?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:30 pm Civil disobedience has an honorable history in the USA.

Clear those out.
Conjecture or is there some factual basis? If factual, what is sample size and mechanism?
History. The Pro-Palestinian "from the river to the sea" thing didn't arrive on campus ten minutes ago. Also, arrest records showing non-students.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:15 pm

Clear those out.
History. The Pro-Palestinian "from the river to the sea" thing didn't arrive on campus ten minutes ago. Also, arrest records showing non-students.
So, arrest records? Sample size? How were individuals selected for arrest?

Without knowing these and more, there is no basis for conclusory statements.

By the by, I do not condone agitation, but, who gets to define what agitation is versus a shared perspective?

You? Me?

By your logic, were the non-violent civil rights protestors of the ‘60s guilty and subject to beatings, arrest and detention for say, the crime of impeding commerce in the areas of the protest?

Need to be careful where the lines are drawn.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:59 pm

Don't care who it is, or what the cause is....keeping your fellow students from getting their education ain't cool.

I have plenty of gripes. But I'm not going to keep you from working or getting your education to voice my concerns.

These handful----handful---of protesters in no way rep Gen Z. Not even close.

And when these students graduate from these top schools? They're going to spend all their time getting a good job, and this stuff will be a "remember when we....." story.
So sure of co-option? Maybe, maybe not. Without the rites of financial passage such as marriage, children, mortgage, perhaps the blinders of complacency will not arrive.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“Talk to student protesters across the country, and their outrage is clear: They have been galvanized by the scale of death and destruction in Gaza, and will risk arrest to fight for the Palestinian cause.

For most of them, the war is taking place in a land they’ve never set foot in, where those killed — 34,000 so far, according to local health authorities — are known to them only through what they have read or seen online.

But for many, the issues are closer to home, and at the same time, much bigger and broader. In their eyes, the Gaza conflict is a struggle for justice, linked to issues that seem far afield. They say they are motivated by policing, mistreatment of Indigenous people, discrimination toward Black Americans and the impact of global warming.

In interviews with dozens of students across the country over the last week, they described, to a striking degree, the broad prism through which they see the Gaza conflict, which helps explain their urgency — and recalcitrance.

Ife Jones, a first-year student at Emory University in Atlanta, linked her current activism to the 1960s civil right movement, which her family had participated in.

“The only thing missing was the dogs and the water,” Ms. Jones said of the current pushback to demonstrators.

Many protesters have rebuffed entreaties from university administrators, chained themselves to benches and taken over buildings. Now, demonstrators have faced a harsh crackdown, with hundreds of arrests in the last 24 hours at many schools, including Columbia University.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/01/us/p ... tests.html
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm

Clear those out.

By the by, I do not condone agitation, but, who gets to define what agitation is versus a shared perspective?

You? Me?

By your logic, were the non-violent civil rights protestors of the ‘60s guilty and subject to beatings, arrest and detention for say, the crime of impeding commerce in the areas of the protest?

Quixotic. :lol:

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm So, arrest records? Sample size? How were individuals selected for arrest?

Ok. Don't believe me. Lived directly adjacent----directly-----to College Campus for a decade. BAMN (a from the river to the sea group) was there, and had been there for a while way back in 1999. There is infrastructure and history for this crew. They aren't spring chickens, and this is in no way a thing that started just weeks ago.

Did I go to every college? Of course not. So feel free to ignore. Texas reported non-student arrests. Again, feel free to ignore.
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm By the by, I do not condone agitation, but, who gets to define what agitation is versus a shared perspective?

You? Me?
Is this a serious question?

The answer is twofold: 1. in the case of State-owned Universities, the American Justice system decides where the line is.

2. in the case of Brown, for example, the American Judicial system AND the owners of Brown U get to decide.
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm By your logic, were the non-violent civil rights protestors of the ‘60s guilty and subject to beatings, arrest and detention for say, the crime of impeding commerce in the areas of the protest?
They weren't beaten, arrested, etc. "because they impeded commerce", and you know it. One has nothing to do with the other. They were beaten because they had the gall to be Black Americans, asking to be treated as Americans.
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm Need to be careful where the lines are drawn.
We're a nation of laws, not men. Do you not agree? I'd rather have that, than you or I getting the power to decide where the line is. Because that's literally what happened in the South during the Civil Rights movement: racist individuals deciding, as you put it, "where the line is".
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:56 pm

Clear those out.

You? Me?

Joe
I see no windmills here.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:56 pm

Clear those out.

You? Me?

Joe
I see no windmills here.
Wretched. That work better? :lol: :lol:

Joe
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm So, arrest records? Sample size? How were individuals selected for arrest?

Ok. Don't believe me. Lived directly adjacent----directly-----to College Campus for a decade. BAMN (a from the river to the sea group) was there, and had been there for a while way back in 1999. There is infrastructure and history for this crew. They aren't spring chickens, and this is in no way a thing that started just weeks ago.

Did I go to every college? Of course not. So feel free to ignore. Texas reported non-student arrests. Again, feel free to ignore.
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm By the by, I do not condone agitation, but, who gets to define what agitation is versus a shared perspective?

You? Me?
Is this a serious question?

The answer is twofold: 1. in the case of State-owned Universities, the American Justice system decides where the line is.

2. in the case of Brown, for example, the American Judicial system AND the owners of Brown U get to decide.
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm By your logic, were the non-violent civil rights protestors of the ‘60s guilty and subject to beatings, arrest and detention for say, the crime of impeding commerce in the areas of the protest?
They weren't beaten, arrested, etc. "because they impeded commerce", and you know it. One has nothing to do with the other. They were beaten because they had the gall to be Black Americans, asking to be treated as Americans.
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:26 pm Need to be careful where the lines are drawn.
We're a nation of laws, not men. Do you not agree? I'd rather have that, than you or I getting the power to decide where the line is. Because that's literally what happened in the South during the Civil Rights movement: racist individuals deciding, as you put it, "where the line is".
Individuals will decide for themselves. There is no monopoly on the Overton Window.

This is how society’s and norms evolve. Usually in non-linear, abrupt shifts as stored impetus is released. Like an earthquake. This one is overdue and will be pretty high on the Richter scale…

Return to “POLITICS”