Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:59 am In important legislative news, a group of House Republicans have proposed legislation to Washington-Dulles, DC’s main international airport, renamed "The Donald J. Trump International Airport." The bill is being led by House GOP chief deputy whip Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA) and is co-sponsored by 6 other "lawmakers."

Maybe we can rename Reschenthaler "Riefenstahl."
nah, she actually produced 'art'...these are just performative idiots.
Corporals in the SS types.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:28 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:59 am In important legislative news, a group of House Republicans have proposed legislation to Washington-Dulles, DC’s main international airport, renamed "The Donald J. Trump International Airport." The bill is being led by House GOP chief deputy whip Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA) and is co-sponsored by 6 other "lawmakers."

As ever, you make a good point. Apologies to Leni.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:28 am

As ever, you make a good point. Apologies to Leni.
:) ;)
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

r white supremacist gets recalled in Oklahoma

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judson-blevi ... 21858.html
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Low-Key Republican Officials Quietly Dismantling All of Our Rights
One of the greatest destabilizers of democracy that almost nobody knows about is a little tax-exempt group called RAGA, which stands for the Republican Attorneys General Association. It represents more than half the states’ chief legal officers, and its members are on the front lines of pretty much every single important legal movement in the country. Its moves and funding are directed, of course, by everyone’s favorite little Monopoly Man Money Guy, Leonard Leo. Yet the group receives almost no sustained public attention or accountability. Recently, Heidi Przybyla at Politico reported on how RAGA tried to run a D.C. official who had dared investigate Leo out of office. And once you actually train your focus on RAGA, they tend to pop up everywhere, over and over again. The group was behind amicus briefs in the outrageous social media case Murthy v. Missouri. They are driving the efforts to get around federal emergency treatment laws for abortion in the forthcoming EMTALA cases. They’re pushing for Texas-style S.B. 4 legislation in several states. And that doesn’t even get you to the whole raft of RAGA interventions when it came to trying to overturn the results of the 2020 election.
[snip]
There was a significant set of lawsuits in the 1990s around tobacco because there had been a long-standing effort by the tobacco industry to deny the carcinogenic effects of smoking, despite the fact that the tobacco companies knew full well that their products did cause cancer. In fact, one of the things that had a fundamentally disruptive effect on U.S. law and policy in the past 50 years is that a then–tobacco lawyer named Lewis Powell wrote something called the Powell Memo to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, circa 1971. This was in response to a decade of environmental regulation to protect against rivers that were on fire, and smoke stacks, and pollution, in addition to efforts to try to regulate smoking. And so the tobacco lawyer, Lewis Powell, wrote a memo basically saying businesses need to get more involved in policy, and lobbying, and universities in order to change our laws to benefit corporations. He was rewarded shortly after with an appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court, and so that’s 1971.

Fast forward to 1991. Finally, there is concerted effort by attorneys general across the country to hold the tobacco industry liable for the consequences to people’s lives, but also to our health care system. As that was ongoing, the Republican attorneys general decided to create their own attorney general association to pursue their own agenda and actually raise money from industries that they were supposed to regulate in order to fund this operation, which was designed to fuel their campaigns. The history is deeply embedded in antipathy to public regulation, government regulation of industries that have literally killed thousands, if not millions, of Americans in the form of the tobacco industry, for example.
More "conservative ideology": Dark money pouring in to rig our judicial system to tilt the country irrevocably toward the "rights" of corporations and other rightwing causes, however radical and anti-citizen they are...

Last edited by dislaxxic on Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

McCarthy says Gaetz ousted him to stop ethics complaint over Gaetz' underage sex scandal

This was speculated for a while. With all their complaints about pedophiles and corrupting underage kids, why aren't more GOP people interested in investing a congressman having relations with a minor?

Didn't McCarthy have the power to remove Gaetz from Congress anyway?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Apparently, the RNC last week sent out a scripted call to voters’ phones on behalf of new co-chair Lara Trump, which stated that Democrats had committed “massive fraud” in the 2020 election. This is not merely the latest example of how the new RNC is perpetuating lies about the 2020 election; it shows that the Big Lie is central to GOP belief systems, fundraising, candidate selection, etc.

Are we all awaiting the burning of our own Reichstag? We have the Lie; we have our Horst Wessell, we have our “hostages” awaiting pardons; we have Project 2025 and plans for the “loyalization” of the civil service. Americans who give a damn need to wake up.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

--------- PBS' Nazi Town, USA ---------

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Crenshaw is dead to me: https://x.com/simonateba/status/1779146033542434881

I am familiar with Eddie Gallagher and his story, but not the recent news regarding Lying Dan.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:46 pm Crenshaw is dead to me: https://x.com/simonateba/status/1779146033542434881

I am familiar with Eddie Gallagher and his story, but not the recent news regarding Lying Dan.
....I don't understand. What motive does Crenshaw have to screw this man over?

In other words: I'm at a loss to understand how screwing this man over helps Crenshaw's political career.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:16 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:46 pm Crenshaw is dead to me: https://x.com/simonateba/status/1779146033542434881

In other words: I'm at a loss to understand how screwing this man over helps Crenshaw's political career.
Don’t know, but his actions and words speak volumes.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:23 pm

I guess.....it's just .....weird. How the F does helping a Seal get out of jail not HELP your political career?

Especially as a Republican. This doesn't make any sense, and I'm left wondering if there's another side, or sides, to this story.

For me, the minute I hear about a Seal being tried for War Crimes, my response is: then put his boss in jail for putting him in some F"ed up situation in country with what is usually shaky legal standing....if that.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:23 pm

I guess.....it's just .....weird. How the F does helping a Seal get out of jail not HELP your political career?

Especially as a Republican. This doesn't make any sense, and I'm left wondering if there's another side, or sides, to this story.

For me, the minute I hear about a Seal being tried for War Crimes, my response is: then put his boss in jail for putting him in some F"ed up situation in country with what is usually shaky legal standing....if that.
+1 an outstanding observation. You ask these people to risk their lives with RoE that change by hour. I guess if your a Navy SEAL it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Republican AGs Are Teaming Up With The Corporations Poisoning Their States To Gut The Clean Air Act. Why?
More than 8 million people die from air pollution and fine particulate matter globally every year, according to the BMJ, a peer reviewed medical journal. Of that number, over 5.13 million people die from ambient air pollution resulting from fossil fuels use. Experts say that deaths from air pollution are also on the rise, and are currently expected to double by 2050. In the U.S. alone “350,000 may die annually from pollution produced by the burning of fossil fuels.” According to the American Lung Association (ALA) more than one-fourth of Americans live with “air pollution that can hurt their health and shorten their lives.” Of course, risk and exposure are themselves not borne equally; cities in the western U.S., along with communities of color, disproportionately bear the brunt of air pollution’s public health harms.

These numbers would likely be much higher if not for the Clean Air Act (CAA), which has proven both enormously popular and successful in saving hundreds of thousands of lives since its passage in 1970. In 2020 alone, the CAA was projected to prevent 230,000 premature deaths in the US, according to the EPA.

Republican Attorneys General, and their industry backers, want to gut it.

A slate of CAA cases were argued before the D.C. Circuit last September, all challenging new Biden administration emissions and pollution control standards. Each suit, though differing on individual details, ultimately seeks to challenge long-standing air pollution regulation authorities that undergird the bedrock environmental law. These cases, brought forth by both Republican AGs and polluting industry actors, could severely threaten regulators’ ability to keep our air clean.

Why would AGs pursue such cases? Their hyper-polluting donors, and co-litigants in all, stand to benefit (immensely) from it.
Is THIS the kind of country we want to live in?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Is this the country we want to live in??

Red states threaten librarians with prison — as blue states work to protect them
Sam Lee, a leader of the Connecticut Library Association, heads to work these days torn between hope and fear.

She’s encouraged because legislators in her state proposed a bill this year making it harder for school boards to ban library books. But she’s fearful because Connecticut, like America, is seeing a sustained surge in book challenges — and she wonders if objectors will see the legislation as a reason to file more complaints.

“I would like to be optimistic,” Lee said. “But having been in my position for the last few years … I don’t know, it really feels like it’s been forever. And I am worried the book banners are just going to be emboldened.”

The bill in Connecticut, pending before an education committee, is one of a raft of measures advancing nationwide that seek to do things like prohibit book bans or forbid the harassment of school and public librarians — the first such wave in the country, said John Chrastka, director of library advocacy group EveryLibrary. Legislators in 22 mostly blue states have proposed 57 such bills so far this year, and two have become law, according to a Washington Post analysis of state legislative databases and an EveryLibrary legislative tracker.

But the library-friendly measures are being outpaced by bills in mostly red states that aim to restrict which books libraries can offer and threaten librarians with prison or thousands in fines for handing out “obscene” or “harmful” titles. At least 27 states are considering 100 such bills this year, three of which have become law, The Post found. That adds to nearly a dozen similar measures enacted over the last three years across 10 states.

Lawmakers proposing restrictive bills contend they are necessary because school and public libraries contain graphic sexual material that should not be available to children. Some books’ “sole purpose is sexual gratification,” said West Virginia Del. Brandon Steele (R), who introduced a bill that would allow librarians to be prosecuted for giving obscene titles to minors.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

just another r lying

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/19/us/p ... vania.html

But interviews in Mr. McCormick’s hometown, as well as a review of public records, news coverage from his childhood and his own words, suggest that he has given a misleading impression about key aspects of his background.

He has explicitly said and strongly implied that he grew up on a farm, claimed in 2022 that he had “started with nothing” and that he “didn’t have anything,” and he and his campaign have recently described his parents as schoolteachers.

In fact, Mr. McCormick is the son of a well-regarded college president who later became chancellor of higher education systems in Pennsylvania and Minnesota. He largely grew up in the president’s sprawling hilltop residence, which students called the president’s mansion, at what is now Bloomsburg University.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 am Is this the country we want to live in??

Red states threaten librarians with prison — as blue states work to protect them
Sam Lee, a leader of the Connecticut Library Association, heads to work these days torn between hope and fear.

She’s encouraged because legislators in her state proposed a bill this year making it harder for school boards to ban library books. But she’s fearful because Connecticut, like America, is seeing a sustained surge in book challenges — and she wonders if objectors will see the legislation as a reason to file more complaints.

“I would like to be optimistic,” Lee said. “But having been in my position for the last few years … I don’t know, it really feels like it’s been forever. And I am worried the book banners are just going to be emboldened.”

The bill in Connecticut, pending before an education committee, is one of a raft of measures advancing nationwide that seek to do things like prohibit book bans or forbid the harassment of school and public librarians — the first such wave in the country, said John Chrastka, director of library advocacy group EveryLibrary. Legislators in 22 mostly blue states have proposed 57 such bills so far this year, and two have become law, according to a Washington Post analysis of state legislative databases and an EveryLibrary legislative tracker.

But the library-friendly measures are being outpaced by bills in mostly red states that aim to restrict which books libraries can offer and threaten librarians with prison or thousands in fines for handing out “obscene” or “harmful” titles. At least 27 states are considering 100 such bills this year, three of which have become law, The Post found. That adds to nearly a dozen similar measures enacted over the last three years across 10 states.

Lawmakers proposing restrictive bills contend they are necessary because school and public libraries contain graphic sexual material that should not be available to children. Some books’ “sole purpose is sexual gratification,” said West Virginia Del. Brandon Steele (R), who introduced a bill that would allow librarians to be prosecuted for giving obscene titles to minors.
I don't have a good answer to your question, but I'm hoping to understand this better to form my answer.

In your view, or anyone else who wants to chime in, could there be a book so obscene or bad in any other way that we would want to 1) ban it from schools or libraries or 2) prosecute a librarian for providing the book to a minor?

Should the number of banned books always be zero?

What do we call it if an adult book (with depictions of sex or violence) is in an elementary school library and people complain about that. Are they in favor of censorship and banning books? Can we compare them to nazis? Is there a different way to describe that?

These are actual questions, not rhetorical ones.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 am Is this the country we want to live in??

I don't have a good answer to your question, but I'm hoping to understand this better to form my answer.

In your view, or anyone else who wants to chime in, could there be a book so obscene or bad in any other way that we would want to 1) ban it from schools or libraries or 2) prosecute a librarian for providing the book to a minor?

What do we call it if an adult book (with depictions of sex or violence) is in an elementary school library and people complain about that. Are they in favor of censorship and banning books? Can we compare them to nazis? Is there a different way to describe that?

Easy answer: it's 2024, not 1950. Your kids can access EVERYTHING, and i mean EVERYTHING just with their smart phones. Images, videos, hate-mongering....all the best, and very much the worst, that the world has to offer.

The idea here is that we should worry about a kid picking up an actual, physical book in 2024?

Either these parents don't have kids, or they have no clue what "the internet" is. In either case, let the professional librarians that we pay sort it out. And more books are ALWAYS better than less....this America, not Russia or North Korea. Let THOSE chaps ban all the books they want. We're supposed to be better than that.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm

Easy answer: it's 2024, not 1950. Your kids can access EVERYTHING, and i mean EVERYTHING just with their smart phones. Images, videos, hate-mongering....all the best, and very much the worst, that the world has to offer.

The idea here is that we should worry about a kid picking up an actual, physical book in 2024?

Either these parents don't have kids, or they have no clue what "the internet" is. In either case, let the professional librarians that we pay sort it out. And more books are ALWAYS better than less....this America, not Russia or North Korea. Let THOSE chaps ban all the books they want. We're supposed to be better than that.
I made reference to an elementary school. My 9 year old attends an elementary school for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. He's in 4th grade. I don't know many kids in 4th who have a smart phone. My son's computer access is somewhat limited by the amount of time we allow him to be on a computer and the access his school allows on their devices.

So, in my own life, if my son’s school’s librarian gave my son a book with graphic sexual content I would complain to the principal. Is that unreasonable?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm

I made reference to an elementary school. My 9 year old attends an elementary school for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. He's in 4th grade. I don't know many kids in 4th who have a smart phone. My son's computer access is somewhat limited by the amount of time we allow him to be on a computer and the access his school allows on their devices.

So, in my own life, if my son’s school’s librarian gave my son a book with graphic sexual content I would complain to the principal. Is that unreasonable?
You have every right to complain to the Principal as it may allow them to implement a better system for what is or what isn’t appropriate for particular children if a child requests a book. A legitimate question: Do believe that book should be banned if it’s not “pornography” if you find it inappropriate for your child?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”