Mustang Classic

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Mustang Classic

Post by Asgot »

Stevenson just posted the schedule for Mustang Classic and it is pretty good. RIT, CNU. York, Dickinson can all be within the top 6-7 next year
DeepPocket

Re: Mustang Classic

Post by DeepPocket »

For us Instagram challenged people…

Day 1. 3/17
11:00am Bates vs Amherst
1:15pm York vs F&M
3:30pm Lynchburg vs St Lawrence
5:45pm CNU vs RIT
8:30pm Stevenson vs Dickinson

Day 2.
11:00am York vs Amherst
1:15pm Bates vs St Lawrence
3:30pm Lynchburg vs F&M
5:45pm CNU vs Dickinson
8:30pm RIT vs Stevenson
Last edited by DeepPocket on Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Asgot wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:42 pm Stevenson just posted the schedule for Mustang Classic and it is pretty good. RIT, CNU. York, Dickinson can all be within the top 6-7 next year
Agreed. One of the better lineups (preseason wise) I've seen at the Mustang Classic. Is it safe to assume that Amherst vs. Bates is going to be counted as a conference/NESCAC game?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I might have to get a hotel for Saturday night so that I can watch that RIT v. Stevenson game
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:42 pm I might have to get a hotel for Saturday night so that I can watch that RIT v. Stevenson game
I think that one could get ugly.

And I know why, but I’m always bothered by the fact that the North teams play each other. Additionally York also seems to draw F&M a lot lately. They’re 25 or so miles apart for crying out loud.

Whatever. It’s likely the greatest weekend in college lacrosse at one site at any level before the NCAA tournament. I’ll take it, and love that the team I root for is included.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:43 pm
Asgot wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:42 pm I might have to get a hotel for Saturday night so that I can watch that RIT v. Stevenson game
I think that one could get ugly.

And I know why, but I’m always bothered by the fact that the North teams play each other. Additionally York also seems to draw F&M a lot lately. They’re 25 or so miles apart for crying out loud.

Whatever. It’s likely the greatest weekend in college lacrosse at one site at any level before the NCAA tournament. I’ll take it, and love that the team I root for is included.
I tend to agree with the York v F&M statement, would love to see York play Lynchburg or Dickinson instead.
You are right that this is the best single lacrosse event regardless of division Prior to the NCAAs. Pretty wide variety of styles played and with the back to back set up it has an NCAA feel to it
richard

Post by richard »

SLU Lynchburg was on the schedule 2 years ago. Covid blew that up. Nice to see them giving it another go.
UpperCorner

Post by UpperCorner »

The Mustang Classic is such an awesome idea - why don't more of these events exist?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

UpperCorner wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:07 pm The Mustang Classic is such an awesome idea - why don't more of these events exist?
I’m quite sure Stevenson breaks even or loses money on this event. It’s great, but most D3 athletic departments have little to no interest in putting something like this on.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

UpperCorner wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:07 pm The Mustang Classic is such an awesome idea - why don't more of these events exist?
It really is cool isn’t it. Stevenson has a great student production crew, and it provides opportunity for them to both practice and showcase their craft. The biggest expense of the event would be the travel, which is each team’s own responsibility. The hardest part might have been scheduling in the initial renditions, but now that it’s a known and highly regarded event, I can’t imagine any team, that has the travel budget for it, not wanting to be included.

Should they keep it going, the Capitol Classic from last year at Audi field in DC has promise. It showcased all 3 divisions in one event.
Laxaddict1

Post by Laxaddict1 »

I don't think most schools want to do it. Also, I don't think any school or Coach is as crazy as Paul to do this event. It is truly the mecca of all lacrosse events. Paul has always gotten the best teams. For example, this year with CNU and RIT. I am not sure why York decided to play Franklin & Marshall again for the third time with two wins against them already. You would think they would not want to play them anymore and play someone else. Now, I understand it could be a factor with the territory for recruiting since both locations are within 30 minutes of each other.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:26 pm
It really is cool isn’t it. Stevenson has a great student production crew, and it provides opportunity for them to both practice and showcase their craft. The biggest expense of the event would be the travel, which is each team’s own responsibility. The hardest part might have been scheduling in the initial renditions, but now that it’s a known and highly regarded event, I can’t imagine any team, that has the travel budget for it, not wanting to be included.

Should they keep it going, the Capitol Classic from last year at Audi field in DC has promise. It showcased all 3 divisions in one event.
Capital classic has the potential to be the best event. Last year having MD VS UVA while they were #1 vs #2 really helped.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:18 pm For us Instagram challenged people…

Day 1. 3/17
11:00am Bates vs Amherst
1:15pm York vs F&M
3:30pm Lynchburg vs St Lawrence
5:45pm CNU vs RIT
8:30pm Stevenson vs Dickinson

Day 2.
11:00am York vs Amherst
1:15pm Bates vs St Lawrence
3:30pm Lynchburg vs F&M
5:45pm CNU vs Dickinson
8:30pm RIT vs Stevenson
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

I'm surprised Denison is not included for 2023....

Did they drop out? The Big Red have played in this event since 2016 (except when canceled by COVID).
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

oldtimelax wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:48 pm I'm surprised Denison is not included for 2023....

Did they drop out? The Big Red have played in this event since 2016 (except when canceled by COVID).
I had the same reaction and question, Oldtimelax. The 2023 Mustang line-up looks terrific in terms of quality; however, Denison had become something of a regular, and the 2023 slate looks East-Coast-centric. Travel expenses? Hopefully the Big Red will be making at least one regular-season road trip to Maryland / Virginia, and maybe another in the NCAAs.
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:29 pm
oldtimelax wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:48 pm I'm surprised Denison is not included for 2023....

I had the same reaction and question, Oldtimelax. The 2023 Mustang line-up looks terrific in terms of quality; however, Denison had become something of a regular, and the 2023 slate looks East-Coast-centric. Travel expenses? Hopefully the Big Red will be making at least one regular-season road trip to Maryland / Virginia, and maybe another in the NCAAs.
Wonder if Denison is juggling the new DEEZ regulations and that what's keeping them out of the Mustang Classic? Anyone know?
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Just looking at the schedule. Comments about York playing F&M each year. It would have been nice to get St Lawrence

But looking at the rest of the teams available
They already have RIT and Stevenson on the schedule. They have already scrimmaged CNU, Dickinson and Lynchburg this “season”

That only leaves F&M, Bates, Amhearst, and St Lawrence. With those options, it’s not the worst matchup.

Big travel budget for RIT. They will have to stay two nights.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

AbeFroeman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:18 am Big travel budget for RIT. They will have to stay two nights.
They play at Homewood Field the Saturday before so I would think they are spending the week in the Baltimore area for spring break
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Some good games this weekend. Who ya got?

Day 1
11:00am Amhearst over Bates. Not close
1:15pm York over F&M by 5-6 goals
3:30pm Lynchburg over St Lawrence. Close game
5:45pm CNU over RIT. Shootout 4-5 goal win
8:30pm Dickinson over Stevenson. Close game

Day 2.
11:00am York over Amherst. Close game
1:15pm St Lawrence over bates. Not close
3:30pm Lynchburg over F&M. 5-6 goals
5:45pm CNU over Dickinson not close
8:30pm RIT over Stevenson. 6-7 goals
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Day 1
11:00am Amherst over Bates. This will be ugly.
1:15pm F&M over York. Close game.
3:30pm Lynchburg over St Lawrence.
5:45pm CNU over RIT. CNU by 8.
8:30pm Stevenson over Dickinson. Toss up game, taking the Stangs.

Day 2.
11:00am Amherst over York. This game has blowout written all over it. Amherst by 8-10.
1:15pm St Lawrence over Bates. Another blowout.
3:30pm F&M over Lynchburg. Close game, F&M takes it.
5:45pm CNU over Dickinson. Another blowout.
8:30pm RIT over Stevenson. RIT by 6.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”