VMI 2022/2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: VMI 2022/2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Reddogg

Post by Reddogg »

Good way to start the season with 14-11 win. Heard they were up 14-6. Anyone attend? No streaming and no live stats is a joke. Need to find a way like all other schools.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Congrats on the season opening win.
Queens is an interesting team. Should be a fun game.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... fall/60225
USMClaxdad

Post by USMClaxdad »

VMI with the sweep of the MAAC weekly awards..... https://maacsports.com/news/2023/2/6/cl ... wards.aspx
USMClaxdad

Post by USMClaxdad »

Strong VMI stats for FOs, ground balls, and EMO. https://detroittitans.com/mens-lacrosse ... i/5664/pdf
old salt

Post by old salt »

Good showing vs a good High Point team.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Score vs HP?

Thx. valaxfan
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

valaxfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:29 pm Score vs HP?

Thx. valaxfan
17-11 HP
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:50 pm
valaxfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:29 pm Score vs HP?

Thx. valaxfan
17-11 HP
Thx. valaxfan
old salt

Post by old salt »

Another win. This one in conf. Way to go !
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ty Yonas 2023-24,

with another 100+ point season,

Scoring (80 points)
Zach Hulme, Kennett, 123 goals, 34 assists, 157 points
Chase Kusko, Parkland, 80 goals, 59 assists, 139 points
Peyton LaRocco, Delaware Valley, 79 goals, 56 assists, 135 points

Ty Yonas, Exeter, 102 Goals, 27 Assists, 129 Points
Shakabrah

Post by Shakabrah »

Wonder what happened to Defensive Coordinator and recently named recruiting coordinator Kevin Doherty? He is no longer listed on the VMI website. Fired? Resigned? Pretty weird to happen after being named recruiting coordinator.

The defense took a pretty bad shelling against Marist to end the year but they showed strides compared to previous years.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Shakabrah wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:11 pm Wonder what happened to Defensive Coordinator and recently named recruiting coordinator Kevin Doherty? He is no longer listed on the VMI website. Fired? Resigned? Pretty weird to happen after being named recruiting coordinator.

The defense took a pretty bad shelling against Marist to end the year but they showed strides compared to previous years.
Mutual parting of the ways. I would not use Marist as a guide. For some reason team had their end of year banquet before the game, they were already eliminated from the conference tourny the previous week, etc., etc.

Defensive scoring showed improvements under Kevin. You have to go back over 20 years to find a graduating class that had as many wins as '23 did. While defense improved and was certainly their strongest unit there are certainly reasons why this happened.
1. D poles were the best position on team. Tim Lindenbaum started all games for all four years. Baber and Boynewicz, both rising Jr's, are both solid.
2. Adam Norris as GK was outstanding. All MAAC freshman team.
3. VMI was 40th in nation in FO's. Dramatic improvement.

In fairness to offense, losing one of the team captains (Scout Ripley) and a leader throughout the entire school in the fourth game of the season really impacted the whole team. Depth will always be an issue. (Graduating class was 300 something, they have to be the smallest D1 program in the nation) Hartley Jorden (all SOCON jr year, all MAAC sr year) is best playing off another player and with Ripley gone, Jorden was doubled as soon as he got off the bus.

That all being said, VMI is one of only 6 teams in the nation to improve each of the last three years and Kevin was a big part of that. Wish him and VMI luck in the future. RAH VA MIL
Shakabrah

Post by Shakabrah »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:07 pm
Shakabrah wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:11 pm Wonder what happened to Defensive Coordinator and recently named recruiting coordinator Kevin Doherty? He is no longer listed on the VMI website. Fired? Resigned? Pretty weird to happen after being named recruiting coordinator.

Mutual parting of the ways. I would not use Marist as a guide. For some reason team had their end of year banquet before the game, they were already eliminated from the conference tourny the previous week, etc., etc.

Defensive scoring showed improvements under Kevin. You have to go back over 20 years to find a graduating class that had as many wins as '23 did. While defense improved and was certainly their strongest unit there are certainly reasons why this happened.
1. D poles were the best position on team. Tim Lindenbaum started all games for all four years. Baber and Boynewicz, both rising Jr's, are both solid.

In fairness to offense, losing one of the team captains (Scout Ripley) and a leader throughout the entire school in the fourth game of the season really impacted the whole team. Depth will always be an issue. (Graduating class was 300 something, they have to be the smallest D1 program in the nation) Hartley Jorden (all SOCON jr year, all MAAC sr year) is best playing off another player and with Ripley gone, Jorden was doubled as soon as he got off the bus.

That all being said, VMI is one of only 6 teams in the nation to improve each of the last three years and Kevin was a big part of that. Wish him and VMI luck in the future. RAH VA MIL
Great insight on all of that!! I’m just a spectator and find the coaching carousel interesting every year so I thought I’d ask. I think VMI has made tremendous strides specifically on the recruiting front. They should have success in the MAAC moving forward with Norris in cage.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Shakabrah wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:02 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:07 pm

Great insight on all of that!! I’m just a spectator and find the coaching carousel interesting every year so I thought I’d ask. I think VMI has made tremendous strides specifically on the recruiting front. They should have success in the MAAC moving forward with Norris in cage.
Intrigued to see how Jordan fairs at UNC next year. Good luck to VMI, hopefully they continue to trend upward.
old salt

Re: VMI 2022/2023/2024/2025

Post by old salt »

CONGRATS to VMI on another improving season (7-8).

Time to renew the series with an annual trip to Navy's NMCMS.

Feed the Keydets Buffalo Chicken in King Hall.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Congratulations to Coach Purpua, VMI Coach of the year earning the Nathaniel W Pendleton 1922 Distinguished Coach Honor award.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”