Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

General Chatter
DD-Tech

Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

Post by DD-Tech »

Dear Fanlax Experts,

I am thinking about installing a ductless mini split system.

Currently lave a large kitchen/family room and large master bedroom where we are looking to supplement the current cooling/heating system we have in place. In the kitchen/family room it is about 600 square feet and has a 17’ vaulted ceiling with the main exterior wall basically all glass from floor to ceiling. This room has no problem staying cool with our current central air but is a bit chilly in the heart of the winter months. Currently have a wood pellet stove in that room that really does a nice job but Mrs. DD is tired of it and wants it out. The master bedroom is similar size with a vaulted ceiling but it is warm in the winter but tough to cool in the summer.

We have been looking at the mini ductless systems to run one in each room. Family/kitchen room would use the system primarily in winter and the master bedroom primarily in summer. Anyone have any pros/cons they can give me on these systems? Thinking about a Fujitsu 24,000 BTU unit that would split into two feeds @ 12,000 BTU per room. Cost for the full job to have done by a professional would be about $5,700. I think I could do the job for about $3,000 and a week of headaches and aggravation.

More importantly though... I need some thoughts on these mini split systems... pros/cons, reviews, etc...
ardilla secreta

Re: Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

Post by ardilla secreta »

I had a Mitsubishi split system put in 5/2017. I have a 16’x31’ living room with same size master above facing south so they get the warmest. I had window A.C. for a couple years, but today’s units are so cheap and noisy and I hated the look in my Arts and Crafts bungalow.

The units are very quiet and efficient. I was able to sit the condenser unit on the side of the house, opposite of driveway, where one can barely see it and the lines run directly north to the blower units. The indoor blower units are big but after awhile you barely notice their presence. They’re also becoming increasingly common. Mitsubishi seems to be the product preferred by HVAC companies.

I know that with Mitsubishi the warranty is void unless installed by pro. The toughest part for my installer seemed to be boring through the house for the lines to run through. Mine is wood frame with wood shingles, plaster over lathe. He had to let his drill cool down several times to get through. Buffalo doesn’t get overly hot and humidity is generally negligible so a central system doesn’t seem necessary and window units are a no go. The split system works well for me and the heating part of it is perfect for spring/fall days when I want to just take the chill off.
Last edited by ardilla secreta on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mini-splits are wonderful, the key is to size them and install them accurately, this is often where the entire mess breaks down. You order the copper line set, then realize you need more or have too much and no where to coil the excess, when you cut it or braze the line, you have a mess on your hands if you do not braze correctly with nitrogen and vacuum the line set. Yes, a harry homeowner can do it if they have some common sense and are bit mechanically/electically inclined.

Personally, I would recommend the Mitsubishi line, but have seen success with Daikin, Samsung, and LG....never seen Fujitsu. I have seen entire High Schools --> Elementary schools install these, with one in every classroom. You can also get them in an AIr Handler design and duct them so you are not looking at a cassette hanging on the wall.

The also offer products where you install one outdoor unit and two indoor units. It would be worth another reputable contractor give you another option than two outdoor units and two indoor units. It may be a wash....but something to consider.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Thanks so far for the feedback! So far very helpful and appreciated!

This quote is actually for 1 outdoor unit with 2 indoor units with an option to add a 3rd if we wanted. I am not sure I want the headaches of the install on my hands and will be having it installed by a contractor. We also have plaster over lathe in our house which can be a big mess to work with. Good news is I am running lines/electric through crawl space and a garage which should be a little less messy. Also was told by the contractor that the Fujitsu 12yr warranty only comes with the professional install.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i did promise id post my first attempt at masonry on LP. ill have to get the photos online and then post. stay tuned! i made two garbage pedestals out of reclaimed brick and used concrete 4x8. and then 1x3 wood.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:i did promise id post my first attempt at masonry on LP. ill have to get the photos online and then post. stay tuned! i made two garbage pedestals out of reclaimed brick and used concrete 4x8. and then 1x3 wood.
ok here it goes- my first attempt at masonry. not great, as you can see it has subsided a bit in the middle. it's very difficult for a beginner to grade the ground perfectly flat and screed out the sand.

anyway, the chairwoman loves the whole reclaimed brick idea. this was part of an old walkway that was torn up. the idea was spawned out of the local garbagemen NEVER putting back the cans in the right spot. now, suddenly, they do- every time. psychological i guess!

There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Is that where the laxpower archives are now buried?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ChairmanOfTheBoard

runrussellrun wrote:Is that where the laxpower archives are now buried?
im not permitted to answer that...
ChairmanOfTheBoard

so as expected- it didnt last.

this past weekend (shall i move this to the wkd thread?) i pulled the entire thing out, and repaved it. i used a better polymeric sand this time, which dried right away. i heard you have to leave it for 72 hours so the cans are off.

i noticed that after i air-blasted the loose sand, and gently watered it, when it dried there were a few holes in the sand, a few trenches that blew away. im going to fill them in with a second round of polymeric sand, however, i feel like patchwork doesnt really work in this context. any advice!?!?!?!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, eliminate the garbage cans and just put your garbage out in a hefty bag.
Can use the masonry work for lawn ornaments, several to choose from and
they're good for covering up any imperfections (trenches) too.
https://www.ebay.com/i/202407923448?chn=ps
;)

Gotta say, I find this highly entertaining, Chairman. Kinda like Hans Krautschmidt
seeking advice on how to make schnitzel.
(cousins, uncles?)
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

DMac wrote:Gotta say, I find this highly entertaining, Chairman. Kinda like Hans Krautschmidt
seeking advice on how to make schnitzel.
(cousins, uncles?)
That is so funny lol

Frank - try Gator Dust. I found that the best and easiest poly/sand to work with.

http://www.alliancegator.com/canada/pro ... ator-dust/

I designed and built this stone patio a few years ago and used the stuff as recomended by the local stone and masonry guy. The stuff holds up and looks great. Easy to work with just need to follow the directions to the T!
Attachments
image1 4.jpeg
image1 4.jpeg (148.2 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Gross ! Is that a boreball strike zone painted on the ball :o
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

runrussellrun wrote:Gross ! Is that a boreball strike zone painted on the ball :o
Please... let me explain.

That wall is made of eight 2x12 pressure treated backed by four 10’ 4x4 fence posts that are cemented 3’ into the ground backing the 2x12s. It could easily handle a 100mph shot or fastball. Yes the wall has a strike zone on it painted in white. My daughter was a softball player and used that wall as a backstop for many many years practicing pitching. That strike zone has also hosted many incredible family wiffle ball games over the years.

Now what you can’t see in this photo is that there is a red (almost completely worn away) 6x6 box painted on that wall. That wall has seen more lacrosse shots taken on it than you could possible imagine. If you look in the back yard, beyond the stairs, there is a laxwall rebounder. That rebounder was used to throw against, bounce back a pass, and then rip a shot at the wooden wall. Then the challenge was to be able to grab the ground ball off the wooden wall, hit the rebounder, catch the pass, rip another shot. Repeat. Had an attackman and an LSM that we’re pretty good ground ball guys and shooters from that drill.

Those days are a long time ago but not forgotten. That was before the white plastic fence went up. There were some nice holes that went through the old wooden stockade fence that used to be behind that wall... their lax and softball days are over but every so often one will be out there with a stick and ball and I cringe waiting for a shot to rip through that white fence.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

hahaha "let me explain" .... I love it, the guilt! :o :?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

HooDat wrote:hahaha "let me explain" .... I love it, the guilt! :o :?
That really was a vicious blow by runrussellrun! :lol: I may never recover from that one! :oops:
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I can’t see any remnants of a 6x6. Better take another photo along with your high school baseball uniform. :D
ChairmanOfTheBoard

DDT- nice yard!

that is not easy masonry work- trust me, i know.

thanks for the reco! i used sakrete and will re-evaluate in a few days.

PS- i bet DDT uses that strike zone to work on his golf swing aim
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I can vouch for DD.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Trinity wrote:I can vouch for DD.
Thanks JW!
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:DDT- nice yard!

that is not easy masonry work- trust me, i know.

thanks for the reco! i used sakrete and will re-evaluate in a few days.

PS- i bet DDT uses that strike zone to work on his golf swing aim
Yes works for the chip shots too!
ardilla secreta wrote:I can’t see any remnants of a 6x6. Better take another photo along with your high school baseball uniform. :D
:lol:
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Taking a trip overseas in a few weeks. Any good tech or travel gadgets, gizmos, goodies or advice you can suggest to make life easier while I’m abroad looking for the perfect carbonara...with peas?

:shock: :lol:
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”