Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

General Chatter
a fan

Re: No goat, bison though.

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 pm Haven't found any goat (not suggesting I've looked for it) but I had everything in the house to make this stuff today. Substituted the bison for the beef (makes it a pretty high priced dish, eh?), threw in half a red pepper but pretty much followed her lead. Must say, it's awfully tasty, whole bunch of different flavors going on in that dish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tIzwXh7ag

DMac's bison and veal bolognese.

Plated....never been a better setting.
Mother of G*d, that looks good.

Btw, your sales pitch worked....my RadRunner arrived today. Getting the rest of the weight off! Thanks for the recommend, it's a great bike!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:56 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 pm Haven't found any goat (not suggesting I've looked for it) but I had everything in the house to make this stuff today. Substituted the bison for the beef (makes it a pretty high priced dish, eh?), threw in half a red pepper but pretty much followed her lead. Must say, it's awfully tasty, whole bunch of different flavors going on in that dish.

https://i.imgur.com/FraHvOg.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/7DwFfC7.jpg?1

Btw, your sales pitch worked....my RadRunner arrived today. Getting the rest of the weight off! Thanks for the recommend, it's a great bike!

Kudos! Looks awesomely good. Mangia!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Too funny, never would've thunk it.
Couple of tips for you, a softer/more comfortable seat softens the ride up, they're pretty rough riding bikes.
I cut out a couple of pieces of the material they use to pack the bike with and put 'em on the seat with along with one of those gel seat covers over that. You can get suspension seat posts and softer seats for them too.
Carrying a spare tube, flat tire repair kit, pump and tools with you is a real good idea. Ran over a nail once, rear tire went flat fast. You're pretty much screwed when that happens. Some guy about my age pulled over with his pick up and flat bed trailer, one like a lot of landscapers use. I walked up to the window and said, you're just exactly the guy I was hoping would come by (I hadn't been there for ten minutes). We put the bike up on the trailer and he took me home...caught a nice break there. Retired Air Force guy. Those military folk are good people, ya know.

Must say, the bolognese dish was pretty darn good.

The TOP just adds a little more herb to the dish, TLD.
They're all good for the taste buds. ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm
Too funny, never would've thunk it.
Couple of tips for you, a softer/more comfortable seat softens the ride up, they're pretty rough riding bikes.
I cut out a couple of pieces of the material they use to pack the bike with and put 'em on the seat with along with one of those gel seat covers over that. You can get suspension seat posts and softer seats for them too.
Carrying a spare tube, flat tire repair kit, pump and tools with you is a real good idea. Ran over a nail once, rear tire went flat fast. You're pretty much screwed when that happens. Some guy about my age pulled over with his pick up and flat bed trailer, one like a lot of landscapers use. I walked up to the window and said, you're just exactly the guy I was hoping would come by (I hadn't been there for ten minutes). We put the bike up on the trailer and he took me home...caught a nice break there. Retired Air Force guy. Those military folk are good people, ya know.

Must say, the bolognese dish was pretty darn good.

The TOP just adds a little more herb to the dish, TLD.
They're all good for the taste buds. ;)
Dmac- this dish is legit, well done.

As far as bike seats. I believe the opposite as a road cyclist. Get a smaller, skinny seat and wear cycling shorts with a chamois built in.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

In need of glove-thumb-extra material expert.

Post by DMac »

First picture is palm up, palm down. Second one is palms up.
The extra material coming off the thumbs, what is it for???
This must be intended for some sort of use.
njbill

Re: Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

Post by njbill »

You looking for serious responses or . . . .
DMac

Post by DMac »

I can go with either or.
These are just additional material to keep that spot of the thumb from wearing inasmuch as that's where you'll always be grabbing stuff? You put a flap there for that?
youthathletics

Re: In need of glove-thumb-extra material expert.

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:15 pm First picture is palm up, palm down. Second one is palms up.
The extra material coming off the thumbs, what is it for???
This must be intended for some sort of use.
Likely motorcycle riding?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

These things are actually called trigger mittens, they're made for hunters, they've got pretty good liners that go inside them which are of course the same design (minus the flaps) as these "shells" (not to be confused with the ones you're putting in your gun). My oldest, Mr. Champagne Taste, got these for me some years back, he doesn't buy junk so I imagine these are pretty good gloves/trigger mittens, but I sure as hell can't figure out what that flap is for. No way it's just poor workmanship/quality, they're there for a reason. Someone knows what that reason is, but it sure as hell aint me.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:10 am These things are actually called trigger mittens, they're made for hunters, they've got pretty good liners that go inside them which are of course the same design (minus the flaps) as these "shells" (not to be confused with the ones you're putting in your gun). My oldest, Mr. Champagne Taste, got these for me some years back, he doesn't buy junk so I imagine these are pretty good gloves/trigger mittens, but I sure as hell can't figure out what that flap is for. No way it's just poor workmanship/quality, they're there for a reason. Someone knows what that reason is, but it sure as hell aint me.
think teeth and pulling them off..........
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
DMac

Post by DMac »

Really??? So you grab that flap with your teeth to pull the glove off???
Thank God I've got that. This is for getting your glove off quickly and reloading, I suppose (gonna need those fingers for that)? Boy they just think of everything...better not be chewing any Red Man when you're hunting, I guess.
Thanks, I never would have figured that.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:10 am These things are actually called trigger mittens, they're made for hunters, they've got pretty good liners that go inside them which are of course the same design (minus the flaps) as these "shells" (not to be confused with the ones you're putting in your gun). My oldest, Mr. Champagne Taste, got these for me some years back, he doesn't buy junk so I imagine these are pretty good gloves/trigger mittens, but I sure as hell can't figure out what that flap is for. No way it's just poor workmanship/quality, they're there for a reason. Someone knows what that reason is, but it sure as hell aint me.
They are actually WWII - Korea era cold weather mittens. Let's you fire/work a weapon much easier. All the Marines in Chosin reservoir pics had 'em. When we went to cold weather training (Marines), they were issued to us circa 1990.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 am
They are actually WWII - Korea era cold weather mittens. Let's you fire/work a weapon much easier. All the Marines in Chosin reservoir pics had 'em. When we went to cold weather training (Marines), they were issued to us circa 1990.
Yup, knew that part. Yours have that flap on them though (am betting not)?
My father actually had a pair of these around the house from his WW II and Korea days (Army) but I don't remeber that flap being on them.
Unknown Participant

My bad .... misunderstood the question. No,I don't remember, it might be (as a prior poster wrote) to protect the thump piece from friction or maybe a defect. I do not recall any instruction on that part with the cold weather cadre.

Best,
Unknown Participant

And BTW, those mitts, with some wool inserts in the same configuration, were money! when it got real cold.
old salt

Post by old salt »

How great is this for the Xmas list ?

https://www.hammacher.com/product/child ... amic|90407
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:32 pm How great is this for the Xmas list ?

https://www.hammacher.com/product/child ... amic|90407
Oh....that's a great gift idea!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone here have any experience as a Leatherworker? When I was pre-teen my father bought me one of those kits and made my own belt with my name stamped in it, also made bi-fold wallet.

I've recently been interested in getting back in to it, watched a bunch of youtube vidoes and to me, they are mesmerizing and I get sucked in to them. There is no talking, just the sound of tooling and craft. Watched them make a $5000 wallet replica for $70 using just minor handtools.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just saw that pic and that looks absurdly delicious
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”