LarryGamLax (1 Minute) 2 Day

The forum rules are little different than lacrosse rules. You can read more within this forum. If you are assessed a penalty, this is the only forum you can post within.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Penalty releases at 1:08 PM EST on Saturday, July 9.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=388809#p388809
Matnum PI

Re: LarryGamLax (1 Minute) 2 Day

Post by Matnum PI »

Admin forwarded your post to me. Post-ers need to be able to discuss players and coaches. If we couldn't, it would greatly handcuff our ability to discuss lacrosse. Discussing other post-ers is a very different thing. Secondly, the forum rules are not set by me. They're set by the post-ers. If you want to change a rule, create a rule, please suggest it in the FanLax Feedback thread.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
njbill

Post by njbill »

Matt, I know you know this but it bears saying anyway.

Larry got suspended because Cletus reported one or both of his posts. I think reporting of posts is bad form, bad manners, and really worse. He and his fellow Beantown brat, I’ll bet, have done the large majority of reporting of posts on the women’s board. Shameful really. Be a man and fight your own battles. Don’t go running to mommy and hide behind her apron strings.

Larry was simply expressing an opinion, in strong terms to be sure, objecting to the fact that Cletus goes on and on and on about Charlotte North. Many posters have similarly commented about his North posts.

So if a poster is to be permitted to go on and on about a player, another poster should be permitted to object to that, particularly when his objection represents the majority sentiment on the board.

Larry can come on strong at times, as everybody knows. He has always been that way.

What boggles my mind is that he gets suspended when the Boston boys don’t even though they repeatedly call other posters liars and, in the case of Cletus, compare some to Hitler and the Nazis, call them haters, and accuse them of defamation.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:42 am Admin forwarded your post to me. Post-ers need to be able to discuss players and coaches. If we couldn't, it would greatly handcuff our ability to discuss lacrosse. Discussing other post-ers is a very different thing. Secondly, the forum rules are not set by me. They're set by the post-ers. If you want to change a rule, create a rule, please suggest it in the FanLax Feedback thread.
C'mon, Matnum, the rest of us are all able to fight our own battles, take some criticism, and roll with the punches just fine. Some pizz ant little puzzy boy who cries and hollers every time someone does something he doesn't like shouldn't be calling the shots here. I can assure you the punishment is not handed out equally to all at fanlax (you see what goes on with name calling and worse at the Water Caller....those big boys handle it just fine). You've got the guy in the hood who calls the cops every time someone steps on his lawn and you guys are listening to him when you should be telling him to man up and fight his own battles. JMHO, of course.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:49 am Larry got suspended because Cletus reported one or both of his posts.
Correct. Someone reported him. That's our system. You may not like our system. But that's our system. If you'd prefer a new system, suggest it within the FanLax Feedback.
njbill wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:49 am So if a poster is to be permitted to go on and on about a player, another poster should be permitted to object to that, particularly when his objection represents the majority sentiment on the board.
Agreed. But, based on the current Forum rules, you cannot attack post-ers. Maybe in Hamsterdam. But in the main Forum, no attacking of post-ers. Even if the majority of post-ers doesn't like the guy/gal or otherwise.
njbill wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:49 am What boggles my mind is that he gets suspended when the Boston boys don’t even though they repeatedly call other posters liars and, in the case of Cletus, compare some to Hitler and the Nazis, call them haters, and accuse them of defamation.
It shouldn't boggle your mind. You don't report them. If a post-er only reports posts where they did little to nothing and the accused is obviously wrong, they're always going to win. And, more than this... If Admin says, Don't attack Post-ers and a post-er replies with an attack on a post-er, this shouldn't be mind boggling.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:12 am JMHO, of course.
Understood.
Caddy Day
njbill

Post by njbill »

Matt, thanks for your calm and measured response. :) Certainly more than mine was.

Didn’t mean to suggest you “know” everything I said, but only that you know Larry got suspended because his post had been reported.

I actually don’t disagree with your “reporting” function, just that I think it is abused by some posters.

Under the current system whereby some “objectionable” posts are reported and some equally or more objectionable are not, posters may get warned or suspended for writing things that are much less objectionable than what the reporters post at times. It seems to me that if someone should get sanctioned for calling a poster a big fat toady, then someone else should get sanctioned for saying the same thing about another poster regardless of whether one post is reported and the other is not. To me, what is important is whether admin has knowledge of a post, not how he attained that knowledge. Since that isn’t how things evidently work, the result is some (objectively) pretty bad stuff stays up while less objectionable stuff is sanctioned. That creates the impression of a double standard.

I believe that back on Laxpower moderators would delete or redact posts. Maybe that would be a better way of doing things than sending posters to the sin bin. Just an idea.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

We do have an issue with posters prolifically posting with a rather clear intent to annoy others...again, prolifically. Or with no care that their posts are annoying...

Whether they do so with over enthusiasm for a particular player or politician, or conversely with critique of "opponents", the pattern tends to be overt exaggeration to the point of obvious inaccuracy.

A couple of posters have figured out how to do this without any one post being way, way over the line of "trolling" but rather it's the aggregation of such...not so simple as reporting a particular post. But if one is clearly trolling, guys, just report it.

It's irritating...I popped off recently, "exhausted" by the trolling on a Politics thread. Warned...ok, I apologized (not to the troll but to the general tone of the thread, admin, etc)

I see why guys are "exhausted" on the women's lax threads; the sheer volume is overwhelming...As a reader, I agreed with Larry's actual view; he will be back momentarily, but I advise not arguing with the ref. It's not worth it. He needs to keep that line.

But report the trolling when it's obvious.
DMac

Post by DMac »

When you've got a group of people who can battle things out, and yes, sometimes get carried away and ugly but the waters calm and the ship always gets back on course, and one guy who is constantly running to admin because of something he doesn't like, where is the problem? Is it the group of folks who handle things all by themselves or the one who can't and is constantly whining? Seems like a rhetorical question to me. Jus' sayin'.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:27 am That creates the impression of a double standard.

I believe that back on Laxpower moderators would delete or redact posts. Maybe that would be a better way of doing things than sending posters to the sin bin. Just an idea.
You're correct. Admin doesn't comb every post. So, when people don't flag a post, it can go unrecognized. If a post-er calls someone a toady and the toady calls the first post-er a jackass and etc., Admin will see all of that. But if a post-er calls someone a toady on Page 12 and then a post on Page 14 is reported, it's highly likely that Admin will miss it.

I dunno. Having a bunch of moderators, and the politics and power issues that come with it, seems to be opening a much bigger can of worms. But, of course, open to ideas.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:41 am I see why guys are "exhausted" on the women's lax threads; the sheer volume is overwhelming...
FWIW, currently, the posts of the purported troll are reserved to one thread, basically, his thread. i.e. The post-er is easy to avoid.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:15 pm Is it the group of folks who handle things all by themselves or the one who can't and is constantly whining?
This may not be taken well but I type it sincerely... And some might say, you're describing a culture that promotes bullying. Which is something I think we want to avoid. When I was a younger man, I did an Outward Bound with 4 boats of 14 people each. We all started together and then went our separate ways, 3 weeks later or whatever, we all met up and... Every boat had a guy and/or gal that the entire boat hated. (To this day, I really don't like my boat's scapegoat. rich kid from Florida... Really didn't like him.) And, for obvious reasons, I thought this was interesting. I think there's a human nature aspect of creating bonds, of forging strong relationships by bonding with others against others. Some times liberals against conservatives. Or, in this case, everyone against one person. I think we should try to avoid this. Alternatively, as MD is speaking to and all of you for that matter, we want to define and punish trolling. That's important too. just want to bring attention to both sides of this coin. And, for the record, the guy on my boat deserved everything he got and more. the worst team player you ever met. so self-centered. and just, oh my, so obnoxious. yes, i'm hurting my point but... He was that obnoxious. :)
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:41 am I see why guys are "exhausted" on the women's lax threads; the sheer volume is overwhelming...
FWIW, currently, the posts of the purported troll are reserved to one thread, basically, his thread. i.e. The post-er is easy to avoid.
Interesting; I'd seen him leaving posts, creating threads all over, but I see where these are now being aggregated...yes, easy enough to avoid...how do we do that with our gator on the Politics thread?! ;) :o
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:16 pm How do we do that with our gator on the Politics thread?! ;) :o
Caddy Day
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:16 pm How do we do that with our gator on the Politics thread?! ;) :o
Correctomundo. Gator Troll M.O. is to post in every thread to get a rise out of others as often as possible and making him almost impossible to ignore. Creating his own thread and conversing with himself doesn't fit his primary purpose.

It's obvious that's what is going on and there is not much support to do something about it unless, of course, the admin would be willing to recognize this fact. Highly unlikely IMHO.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:39 pm
Correctomundo. Gator Troll M.O. is to post in every thread to get a rise out of others as often as possible and making him almost impossible to ignore. Creating his own thread and conversing with himself doesn't fit his primary purpose.

It's obvious that's what is going on and there is not much support to do something about it unless, of course, the admin would be willing to recognize this fact. Highly unlikely IMHO.
Yup, but what a relief that would be...
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:39 pm

Relatively new poster here, wouldn't those be best served by just flat out not engaging? It doesn't seem there is any obligation to engage and try and "refute" what this so called "troll" keeps posting. From my short time on this site, it seems that some posters feel like its an obligation of theirs to engage and "shut" this person down. It seems as if they not blameless either. Just my two cents.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:08 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:15 pm Is it the group of folks who handle things all by themselves or the one who can't and is constantly whining?
This may not be taken well but . . . .
I love a post that begins like that. Certainly got me to read it. :lol:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:01 pm Relatively new poster here, wouldn't those be best served by just flat out not engaging? It doesn't seem there is any obligation to engage and try and "refute" what this so called "troll" keeps posting. From my short time on this site, it seems that some posters feel like its an obligation of theirs to engage and "shut" this person down. It seems as if they not blameless either. Just my two cents.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:39 pm ...unless, of course, the admin would be willing to recognize this fact. Highly unlikely IMHO.
Admin has no dog in this fight. No, so to speak, agenda. If you present a troll trolling to him, he'll take out his whistle. He has no vested interest in letting trolls troll.
Caddy Day

Return to “FANLAX RULES AND PENALTY BOX”