MAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: MAC 2023

Post by Laxattackjack »

NElaxtalent wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:49 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:26 pm Looking at the last regular season game, and how the playoffs should shake out.

York over Widener
Stevenson over Alvernia
Eastern over hood.
Messiah over Albright

That should leave
Messiah vs widener for play in game Monday
York (1) vs Widener
Stevenson(2) vs Eastern

York vs Stevenson Saturday
Sunday the brackets get announced.
Agree on all, though I'd keep an 👁️ on the Eastern vs Stevenson game...
If Eastern plays like they did vs York. And Stevenson plays like they did vs York, I see Eastern winning.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:19 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:49 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:26 pm Looking at the last regular season game, and how the playoffs should shake out.

York over Widener
Stevenson over Alvernia
Eastern over hood.
Messiah over Albright

That should leave
Messiah vs widener for play in game Monday
York (1) vs Widener
Stevenson(2) vs Eastern

York vs Stevenson Saturday
Sunday the brackets get announced.
Agree on all, though I'd keep an 👁️ on the Eastern vs Stevenson game...
If Eastern plays like they did vs York. And Stevenson plays like they did vs York, I see Eastern winning.
Pretty excited for this one. I think that Stevenson wins again but maybe a little closer
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Messiah at Widener 7pm tonight.

Messiah made their portal splash, and turned last year’s 8-9 regular season into this year’s 11-6. But the events of the year, injuries and the like, have all lead them to the same end; 4-4 in-conference, in the #4/#5 play-in game at Widener.

This is Messiah’s championship game, and they need to play like it.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
viper

Post by viper »

I know the Commonwealth is the more talked about side of the Mac, but the Freedom tournament is underway as well. Last night Misericoria handled FDU Florham to set up a rematch at Stevens Wednesday. Does Misericordia have a chance after getting thrashed 25-8 last Saturday at Stevens (19-6 after halftime)?

The other semi Wednesday is Arcadia at DeSales

I am not one for predictions, but given the season results, it would be an upset of epic proportion for Stevens not to win out.

4/2 DeSales 10 Stevens 20
4/12 Arcadia 9 Stevens 29
4/29 Misericordia 8 Stevens 25
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:27 pm Messiah at Widener 7pm tonight.

Messiah made their portal splash, and turned last year’s 8-9 regular season into this year’s 11-6. But the events of the year, injuries and the like, have all lead them to the same end; 4-4 in-conference, in the #4/#5 play-in game at Widener.

This is Messiah’s championship game, and they need to play like it.
Deep, as usual you MAC analysis is spot on, especially in regard to Messiah. Their 1st half of the 2023 season showed a decided upward progression for the program which they were unable to sustain thru the MAC season, likely due to injuries and a comparatively thin roster.

Fwiw I'd posit that the 2022 team actually over-achieved and peaked down the stretch to finish 5th.

I'd also note that the mid-MAC teams (say 5 - 7 inc Messiah, LVC and Hood) were significantly stronger in 2023 than their 2022 versions.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

York runs away with MAC
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

viper wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:43 am I know the Commonwealth is the more talked about side of the Mac, but the Freedom tournament is underway as well. Last night Misericoria handled FDU Florham to set up a rematch at Stevens Wednesday. Does Misericordia have a chance after getting thrashed 25-8 last Saturday at Stevens (19-6 after halftime)?

I am not one for predictions, but given the season results, it would be an upset of epic proportion for Stevens not to win out.

I believe that Stevens has the MAC freedom side on lock down and could get a reasonable seeding after a solid season
viper

Post by viper »

Asgot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:05 pm
viper wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:43 am I know the Commonwealth is the more talked about side of the Mac, but the Freedom tournament is underway as well. Last night Misericoria handled FDU Florham to set up a rematch at Stevens Wednesday. Does Misericordia have a chance after getting thrashed 25-8 last Saturday at Stevens (19-6 after halftime)?

I believe that Stevens has the MAC freedom side on lock down and could get a reasonable seeding after a solid season
A reasonable seeding might be difficult given their strength of schedule this year. Not sure what their RPI is but I can't imagine the Wesleyan victory counts for much any more and the only other really strong games were losses (Dickinson and Tufts).

While I don't expect to see them on final four weekend, I do think they are deeper and better equipped to make some noise along the way than they have been for a few years.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

viper wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:17 pm

A reasonable seeding might be difficult given their strength of schedule this year. Not sure what their RPI is but I can't imagine the Wesleyan victory counts for much any more and the only other really strong games were losses (Dickinson and Tufts).

While I don't expect to see them on final four weekend, I do think they are deeper and better equipped to make some noise along the way than they have been for a few years.
I don’t think d3 lax has a final 4 weekend.
viper

Post by viper »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:57 pm

You are correct. Just another "senior moment" :oops:
Needless to say maybe this year Stevens can get past their recent "win one in the NCAAs" threshold.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

viper wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am

Needless to say maybe this year Stevens can get past their recent "win one in the NCAAs" threshold.
The brackets are going to be interesting this year. Lots of above average teams. Stevens with only two losses, both to top 5 teams. and likely winning the MAC. They could potentially get a higher seed and face a weaker AQ early.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Congrats to the York Spartans, your 2023 MAC champions.
viper

Post by viper »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:00 am
viper wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am

The brackets are going to be interesting this year. Lots of above average teams. Stevens with only two losses, both to top 5 teams. and likely winning the MAC. They could potentially get a higher seed and face a weaker AQ early.
As expected Stevens easily handled Misericordia last night, with the starters playing well into the 4th quarter for some reason. Arcadia comes to Hoboken Saturday to try to avenge their earlier season 20-10 loss at Stevens.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

viper wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:24 am ... Arcadia comes to Hoboken Saturday to try to avenge their earlier season 20-10 loss at Stevens.
*DeSales
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

viper

Post by viper »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:03 am
viper wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:24 am ... Arcadia comes to Hoboken Saturday to try to avenge their earlier season 20-10 loss at Stevens.
*DeSales

Yeah, another senior moment. My bad DeSales 16 Arcadia 10. :oops:
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

viper wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:44 am
Yeah, another senior moment. My bad DeSales 16 Arcadia 10. :oops:
No worries. You had the previous score right, so the typo was clear.
And while Stevens doesn’t typically have ECD or Lax.comTV coming and doing fancy highlights of their games like York or Stevenson, there is a current player that posts lots of YouTube videos, more along the lines of “day in the life” sort of stuff, but with highlights sprinkled in and lots of insight to Steven’s team environment. Here’s the link to him.
https://youtu.be/omLfW0hFa9Y
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Really impressed with York's roster depth. Earlier this season I noticed York had 14 different goal scorers in a game where they had 19 goals.

Last night, in a playoff game, York had 15 different goal scorers among their 23 total.

That's incredible depth and obviously speaks volumes to Coach Childs' recruiting but even moreso his ability to create a team-first, next-man-up culture across such a deep roster. I'm sure plenty of those kids would love more PT but they aren't in the portal. They have bought into the York mission.

All these other MAC teams see a huge drop-off after their top tier guys. It only takes a few injuries and the simple "passing and catching" issues derail the whole train whether on offense or even just clearing the ball.

Despite their OOC record this year, the are legit and their FO guy is dominant.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

NElaxtalent wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:52 am Really impressed with York's roster depth. Earlier this season I noticed York had 14 different goal scorers in a game where they had 19 goals.

Last night, in a playoff game, York had 15 different goal scorers among their 23 total.

That's incredible depth and obviously speaks volumes to Coach Childs' recruiting but even moreso his ability to create a team-first, next-man-up culture across such a deep roster. I'm sure plenty of those kids would love more PT but they aren't in the portal. They have bought into the York mission.

All these other MAC teams see a huge drop-off after their top tier guys. It only takes a few injuries and the simple "passing and catching" issues derail the whole train whether on offense or even just clearing the ball.

Despite their OOC record this year, the are legit and their FO guy is dominant.
Last night York had 21 different players with points including 2 poles, 2 d-middies a fogo and a goalie. That is depth of scoring
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

Hey y'all how bout them ducks?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”