Towson 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Math1234

Re: Towson 2023

Post by Math1234 »

sc lax wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:50 pm Well it was a good game today, until it wasn't. Looked like the Tigers wanted to match UVA's quick pace and it ultimately led to things getting out of hand. The first half was encouraging for sure, hopefully playing these elite elite teams will pay dividends in late april/may. Offensively, Mikey needs some more help on his midfield line but he is a stud. Downs was solid too, but the defense got caught ball watching on a handful of UVA's goals. Onto CAA play
Yeah, decent effort but needed to be better on the defensive end. I don't Downs was bad in net but he needed to be at his best. The defense around him was bad at times in the first and third quarters. Too many open players near the crease. Mikey definitely needs help. Personally, I'd like to see more of Alex Roussel at first midfield, Webber is very fast and could beat most mid-major defenders, but he's not a shooter. Roussel is quick and a good passer. Not a bad shooter. Guessing that Mauer can't play midfield assuming Schrier returns shortly (not sure when). Chop had two goals today, but probably should have had at least four. Passing was great in the first half and then UVa started taking away Mikey and DeMaio's left hand and forced the others to beat them. I'd like to see them move Villagomez around. He just stands there on that left wing and sometimes backs guys in. Put him near the crease, behind the net. He's so long and I know he's not quick, but I'd like to see different looks when they are struggling to score.

Despite saying that, I think Matt Musci has done an excellent job this season at OC. It helps to have a rising star in Mikey and the fact that DeMaio is playing unselfish. Defense is still a work in progress. They faced some absolute studs and superstars today and didn't get the job done. Nick has 21 assists in 7 games. Spencer Ford had 53 assists in 1999, which was the second-most all-time and most D1 assists for a season. He's got a long ways to go to break that record, but he's come a long way since he took the most shots in a season (157) in 2022.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nick DeMaio is averaging 5.4 points per game.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Good win. Great coaching adjustment going zone, we couldn't guard at all in man and goalie was having a tough game. Also, inserting Rousell on attack was a good move. Faceoffs were key down the stretch
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

harflax wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:08 pm Good win. Great coaching adjustment going zone, we couldn't guard at all in man and goalie was having a tough game. Also, inserting Rousell on attack was a good move. Faceoffs were key down the stretch
Probably should have gone zone earlier, but that did change the game. Luke Downs was rough in net and was injured in the fourth quarter. Matt Nilan looked huge and confident in the cage. I am concerned about the defense and lack of quickness.

So there could be a few changes after this game

*Roussel has to be on the field more. Mauer had some chances at the doorstep today and couldn't knock them in. He's been productive, but Roussel is so quick and has made a huge jump in play. Problem is that they don't seem to have a guy ready to jump on the second unit with Duccomun and Gaskins. But they'll figure it out. He could be a 20-20 guy if you play him regularly.

*Goaltending. It was a rough day for Downs. I don't think he played that well last week, but it was Virginia. If he's injured, Nilan looks ready in a very small sample size. But if he's back and struggles again, Nads has to make the switch. Nilan is 6-2, 190. Crowds the cage. He looked confident as hell out there.

*Defense was really poor for the first 2 1/2 quarters, giving up way too many open shots. D was getting beat way too easily. Slides were late or non-existent to help Glass. Then they went zone and Drexel only scored a goal or two against it in over a quarter of play. Not saying to go zone the rest of the way. They do have to look at a couple of positions there. Maybe one on close D and Glass busts his ass, but they took advantage of his lack of size.

Good win after a bad start, being down 4-1. The offense is so much different than last season, especially when they move the ball. DeMaio has taken his game to another level. Chop is playing better. Webber was fantastic today with 5 goals. Mikey W. had just one goal and took away his left hand again. But had 3 dimes. DeMaio's passing has been exceptional. At least they're finishing much better than in past years. It's fun watching a team capable of putting up 15+ goals in every game.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Another tough CAA road game in ugly weather. A downpour and the field had puddles everywhere. But Towson managed to get the 12-10 win despite the shaky defense and goaltending again though I thought Nilan played much better in the second half as the Stags scored just two goals. Understandably, it was tougher to score as field conditions were getting worse as the game went on and there 34 combined turnovers. Face-offs were just 50% but Constandinides won the key draws late.

Mikey W. with 3 more goals, but I thought the key was moving Roussel to the attack late in the third quarter and he delivered a goal and an assist playing the X. I also think the wet conditions slowed down our quicker guys where Mikey and Webber couldn't accelerate. But the big guys from the 2nd midfield, Gaskins and Duccomun were able to be productive with 3 goals combined.

Still have some work to do on the defensive end. Offensively, tough to judge under those conditions though give Fairfield credit for also adjusting some in the second half and going to Hirsch in net.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Good to win two road games to open conference play.. Defense had real communication issues in the first half. Second half was much better. It was good to get production from the second midfield. Rousell was inserted on attack and there were two immediate goals. Towson struggled with the ten man ride. I am sure they will be seeing more of that. Demaio has really become an unselfish player and a leader.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

harflax wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:46 pm Good to win two road games to open conference play.. Defense had real communication issues in the first half. Second half was much better. It was good to get production from the second midfield. Rousell was inserted on attack and there were two immediate goals. Towson struggled with the ten man ride. I am sure they will be seeing more of that. Demaio has really become an unselfish player and a leader.
Yeah, good point about the clearing game though I think the weather hindered things for both squads. I like the SSMids but other than Miedling, I don't think they have that burner that that all you have to do is get him the ball and it's over. With a new goaltender, you also get a little bit of indecisive play on the clears. They are a much better team than in recent years, but to get where they want to be, they do need to clean up a few things on the defensive end.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Downs back in goal. Ray Glass out injured. Defense looked pretty good until some untimely penalties late and some awful turnovers. Offense struggled despite taking 47 shots and winning 16 of 20 face-offs. Stony Brook switched defenses a ton and took away Weisshaar. Made him go right and when he dodged towards the crease, double and even tripled him. Learn from it and move on. Now 3-0 in the CAA.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/3/30 ... brook.aspx
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:19 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:13 pm Ryan Schrier injured? Should be getting PT, no?
He's injured. I believe he's returning in early March.
Any update on Schrier's (injury) status?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:10 pm
Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:19 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:13 pm Ryan Schrier injured? Should be getting PT, no?
He's injured. I believe he's returning in early March.
Any update on Schrier's (injury) status?
I believe he's going to redshirt.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Good win, 15-11 over Hofstra. Strange game since Towson outscored Hofstra 10-0 in the second quarter and was held scoreless in the fourth quarter, as the Pride scored the last six goals. Too many penalties (7) and didn't handle the big lead well. Thought they went stall ball too early in the fourth quarter. Just run the offense. Credit Hofstra for not giving up.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/4/6/ ... fstra.aspx
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Towson has now won seven straight games and I hear crickets. No. 1 seed in the CAA, hosting the CAA Tournament? Check. Check. Now, must beat Stony Brook/Drexel in the first game on Thursday afternoon. Can't overlook either team. They had their struggles against both but got the W. Need to focus and not worry about Delaware/Fairfield winner.

Wouldn't say this was a great performance tonight, especially on the offensive end by Towson. (Mikey W 1 for 11). Ellington was outstanding in net though the Tigers missed at least three bunnies early on. Another time where Towson struggles to hold on to leads late in games against double-teams and makes questionable passes. But down 6-3 at the half, with the tournament already at home with a first or second seed, the Tigers came out blazing in the second half. Colby Barsz was sensational as usual on the defensive end. Luke Downs got better as the game went on with 14 saves. Thought this was one of Villagomez's best all-around games of the season with 3g, 2a. So far, so good. One step at a time.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Congratulations to Coach Nadelen and the Tigers for a really good bounce back year and CAA title. It is great seeing the Tigers ranked back in the top 15 again. Coiach Nadelen turned down both the Princeton and Michigan jobs when they opened. Towson is lucky to have him

To win next week get to the NCAA tournament is not going to be easy but it can be done.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”