Villanova 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Villanova 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

Going into every season, until it happens, I will ask the following:

Will this(2023 in this case) be the year Villanova takes either of the next two steps:

1. They win their first Big East Tournament title.
2. They appear in the postseason Quarterfinals for the first time.

Without a doubt, their recruiting class is one of the most impressive in program history.
CT Transplant

Re: Villanova 2023

Post by CT Transplant »

2 issues that Villanova must deal with. Get up to NCAA max scholarships within 2-3 years and deal with the changing landscape of the NIL with regard to not only Big East rivals but the entire D-1 make up. The amount of NIL cash at Georgetown dedicated to lacrosse is staggering.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

The amount of NIL cash at Georgetown dedicated to lacrosse is staggering.
So how much is staggering?
CT Transplant

Post by CT Transplant »

Upwards of $600k for Mens Lacrosse raised so far.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Is Matt Campbell back for his 5th year ?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:11 pm Is Matt Campbell back for his 5th year ?
Yes, along with his cousin and AllAmerican SSDM Chet Comizio
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

CT Transplant wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:40 pm Upwards of $600k for Mens Lacrosse raised so far.
Lol I know that is not true
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:41 pm
10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:11 pm Is Matt Campbell back for his 5th year ?
That is a starting point, for sure.

They’ll be up against a lot of competition, Georgetown of course,
but also now, Providence with the coaching change.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:42 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:41 pm
That is a starting point, for sure.

They’ll be up against a lot of competition, Georgetown of course,
but also now, Providence with the coaching change.
Villanova should have another very good season. Lots of talent returning to a team that let three or four games just get away from them this year. Campbell is a special talent. This squad needs to get past Georgetown or win some of those close OOC games versus the Ivy teams. They are LONG overdue for a NCAA tourney victory.
CT Transplant

Post by CT Transplant »

Lol I know that is not true

Sorry Chief but follow the Transfer Portal Georgetown has become UNC North. Notre Dame also has a a ton of " fun tickets" to spread around. Two Yale Graduate Students confirmed today. If you dont think that the NIL is in play in lacrosse at certain schools you are clueless :
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

So,

post this in the Georgetown thread.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

CT Transplant wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:11 pm Lol I know that is not true

Sorry Chief but follow the Transfer Portal Georgetown has become UNC North. Notre Dame also has a a ton of " fun tickets" to spread around. Two Yale Graduate Students confirmed today. If you dont think that the NIL is in play in lacrosse at certain schools you are clueless :
Did you ask those UNC guys why they went to Gtown and what they are paying? Don’t think so.
HGK

Post by HGK »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:33 pm
CT Transplant wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:11 pm Lol I know that is not true

Did you ask those UNC guys why they went to Gtown and what they are paying? Don’t think so.
Two Yale kids went to Denver before the NIL existed. Stop the nonsense. Georgetown like every other program is figuring how to navigate this new NIL world. In terms of grad transfers it is a confluence of success, covid 5th/6th years and most significantly, the MBA at Georgetown now offering 1 and 2 year options.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

My two current questions:

-What is the max number of scholarships a DI program can have?
-How many does Villanova currently have?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 am My two current questions:

The max scholarships for Lacrosse is 12.6. I have no idea how many Nova has, although I heard that they were fully funded a couple years back.

However, the lack of scholarships has not held Villanova back from fielding a competitive team over the last two decades. Take a look at their roster and you’ll see it filled with kids from the most affluent towns and prep schools. These schools, not surprisingly, have the best lacrosse programs. I would guess that most of these families can afford the outrageously high tuition at Nova with a little help. Perhaps the high tuition prevents diversity of players on the team? Would it help to have more “blue collar” kids on the team? Maybe. But it certainly hasn’t prevented them from bringing in super talented kids who want to attend a school with a good academic reputation.

I could be completely wrong, but I haven’t seen any players from non-prestigious publics on this team for years.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:37 am

The max scholarships for Lacrosse is 12.6. I have no idea how many Nova has, although I heard that they were fully funded a couple years back.

However, the lack of scholarships has not held Villanova back from fielding a competitive team over the last two decades. Take a look at their roster and you’ll see it filled with kids from the most affluent towns and prep schools. These schools, not surprisingly, have the best lacrosse programs. I would guess that most of these families can afford the outrageously high tuition at Nova with a little help. Perhaps the high tuition prevents diversity of players on the team? Would it help to have more “blue collar” kids on the team? Maybe. But it certainly hasn’t prevented them from bringing in super talented kids who want to attend a school with a good academic reputation.

I could be completely wrong, but I haven’t seen any players from non-prestigious publics on this team for years.
You make some good points. However, having the full amount of scholarships would, very likely, help Nova take those next steps as a program.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I had heard they were still under fully funded, but maybe my info
was old,

on the other hand, Villanova the past couple years has performed
like a fully funded program.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:44 pm

I had heard they were still under fully funded, but maybe my info
was old,

on the other hand, Villanova the past couple years has performed
like a fully funded program.
They definitely have had some good moments. But I still think they could be that much better if they were fully-funded.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Villanova lacrosse has 2 major hurdles to get over in order to compete on a level playing field, the first issue is that Nova has only 8.5 full scholarships along with the fact that coach Corrado has the smallest roster in all of Div 1 mens lacrosse every spring
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Magbride14 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 pm Villanova lacrosse has 2 major hurdles to get over in order to compete on a level playing field, the first issue is that Nova has only 8.5 full scholarships along with the fact that coach Corrado has the smallest roster in all of Div 1 mens lacrosse every spring
8.5 is a big improvement. When did it increase to that number?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”