Next Programs To Win National Titles For The First Time?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Next Programs To Win National Titles For The First Time?

Post by gymman1031 »

Here is who I say, in no particular order:

Georgetown
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Rutgers
Penn
Harvard
Brown

Rutgers has moved themselves higher on this list. They were in the Final Four this year, and, partly due to their beautiful, new facility, they are recruiting better than ever.
Last edited by gymman1031 on Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creasedive

Re: Next Programs To Win National Titles For The First Time?

Post by Creasedive »

Rutgers program built on transfers. Not a long term recipe for success.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Much to the dismay of many, Rutgers is starting to take their athletics seriously. For far too long (late 1970s), they talked a big game but now they are backing it up with new facilities, much better coaching hires led by an AD Pat Hobbs that truly gets it and getting after the NJ athlete. All sports are improving.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Notre Dame won this year, didn't they? They had that incredible 6 game streak to end the season.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

A few years ago, Penn State looked like an obvious choice, but no more. Albany also seems to have come and gone. Rutgers and Georgetown appear to be building strong foundations, and Harvard is an interesting pick. Brown? St. Joe's? Right now, I'd say that Rutgers seems the most likely.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:34 am Notre Dame won this year, didn't they? They had that incredible 6 game streak to end the season.
That's what I was thinking. I thought Twitter had anointed them the de-facto national championship.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:41 am Brown?
Don't sleep on Daly, right? Brown would be high on my list. Biggest issue for Brown is going to be making it through the Ivy gauntlet the next few years.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:59 am Here is who I say, in no particular order:

Georgetown
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Rutgers
Penn
Harvard
Brown

Rutgers has moved themselves higher on this list. They were in the Final Four this year, and, partly due to their beautiful, new facility, they are recruiting better than ever.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Good call with Brown. I added them.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:59 am Here is who I say, in no particular order:

Georgetown
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Rutgers
Penn
Harvard

Just my opinion…..Georgetown’s best shot was this year and they showed us, who many of us thought, they actually were. They have a bunch of overlapping good offensive talent incoming. I will believe it when I see it. Rutgers is completely dependent on the portal. Brecht has done well there, but Rutgers has never been a popular school for the elite high school players, who always chose elsewhere. It is weaker academically compared to others on this list. He will have to keep signing great transfers to even get to the Tournament. That will be tough to have to depend on, year, after year. OSU isn’t the elite academic choice of Notre Dame, but located similarly, well outside the hotbeds. They also don’t have as good a coach as Notre Dame. The others seem more natural choices to get there to me.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

I think being great at football hurts all other sports. Football is so revered that the other teams are afterthoughts to the fanbase. At Maryland for example, lacrosse and basketball are it and there are only 7 or so impactful basketball players.

I dont think good players in other sports want to be so anonymous buried by football.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:41 am A few years ago, Penn State looked like an obvious choice, but no more. Albany also seems to have come and gone. Rutgers and Georgetown appear to be building strong foundations, and Harvard is an interesting pick. Brown? St. Joe's? Right now, I'd say that Rutgers seems the most likely.
Let’s remember towson, yale and GTown went to final fours for the first time 20 odd years ago then didn’t make it back for 1.5-2 decades
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

-I think Georgetown is going to be fine. Their recruiting continues to be great. Yes, these excuses can only go so far. But I hope that at least a few of you agree with me that the following two things might have gotten the best of them against Delaware. All the power to the Blue Hens, and Coach Ben DeLuca, but:

-Georgetown played in a very down Big East Conference.
-Georgetown played against a Delaware team that wasn't just peaking, but who was also more in the game-groove due to having played much more recently.
HGK

Post by HGK »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:47 am -I think Georgetown is going to be fine. Their recruiting continues to be great. Yes, these excuses can only go so far. But I hope that at least a few of you agree with me that the following two things might have gotten the best of them against Delaware. All the power to the Blue Hens, and Coach Ben DeLuca, but:

-Georgetown played against a Delaware team that wasn't just peaking, but who was also more in the game-groove due to having played much more recently.
And Delaware had a head coach let go by the next opponent in Cornell and head assistant let go by Georgetown. Couple that with a Georgetown team that was rolling but hadn’t really been tested in over a month and you have insane motivation on Hens side and a Georgetown team that was too comfortable. Perfect storm. No excuse but that is basically how this played out. Georgetown had an incredible opportunity and let it get away.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I think Rutgers is going to prove that they can do very well without getting lots of fine players who transfer. That beautiful, new lacrosse facility I mentioned above is already really helping with recruiting.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

HGK wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:11 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:47 am -I think Georgetown is going to be fine. Their recruiting continues to be great. Yes, these excuses can only go so far. But I hope that at least a few of you agree with me that the following two things might have gotten the best of them against Delaware. All the power to the Blue Hens, and Coach Ben DeLuca, but:

And Delaware had a head coach let go by the next opponent in Cornell and head assistant let go by Georgetown. Couple that with a Georgetown team that was rolling but hadn’t really been tested in over a month and you have insane motivation on Hens side and a Georgetown team that was too comfortable. Perfect storm. No excuse but that is basically how this played out. Georgetown had an incredible opportunity and let it get away.
Agree with all of these points, but I’d also argue that Georgetown wins that game going away if SSDM #10 Will Godine doesn’t break his hand that week in practice. Geddes played well on the rope unit, but the truth is that Godine’s replacements made bad decisions and were physically taken advantage of that night. Godine will be an All American next year, and frankly should have been at least an HM AA this year with his 48 ground balls and 9 caused turnovers.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:45 am
Don't sleep on Daly, right? Brown would be high on my list. Biggest issue for Brown is going to be making it through the Ivy gauntlet the next few years.
IL has won one NC in over 20 years and now it is a gauntlet.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I totally agree the Godine injury really hurt Hoyas but at the same time if the queen had…she’d be king. There was enough talent on that team to overcome the loss at SSDM. Hoyas should have found a way.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

I agree with your statement, "Yes, these excuses can only go so far"
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:56 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:45 am
IL has won one NC in over 20 years and now it is a gauntlet.
Fair enough.

I mean, I was considering games they'll be playing in the next few years, not what's happened in the past couple of decades. Silly me. Ivy looks to be pretty good this coming season and I would argue beyond in the immediate future, with some great coaching talent etc. I would say it's the deepest conference right now outside of the ACC and, well, over the last two years, the IL has sent as many teams to the NCAA Tourney as the ACC...and the IL didn't even compete in one of those years.

That said, compared to the Big10 (rarely more than 2 teams deep any given season), Big East, etc, yeah, I would say the IL looks to be a gauntlet over the next few years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”