Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Ivy League 2023

Post by bearlaxfan »

Let's get this on the board.
Who leaves? (Including assistant coaches.)
Who is returning?
Whose incoming classes are the touts touting?
Who will make unfortunate uniform choices? (I maintain Dartmouth would have had some league wins if they went back to the classic football-style white hat with the forehead D & green stripes.)
Who will 'rob' ND & Duke of slots next year?
FannOLax

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:14 am Let's get this on the board.
Who is returning?
Who will make unfortunate uniform choices? (I maintain Dartmouth would have had some league wins if they went back to the classic football-style white hat with the forehead D & green stripes.)
I don't understand the black that has shown up in Dartmouth's uniforms. Dartmouth is the Big Green, and it's certainly a dark enough shade of green that there's no need for another dark color.

Penn's 2022 roster lists Handley, Gergar and Burkinshaw as seniors, but it's been said that Handley will play for the Quakers in 2023. Could anyone who follows Penn closely please elaborate on the likes of Gergar and Burkinshaw?

Getting six teams into the 2022 NCAA dance was almost certainly an anomoly. Comments on another thread have said that the Ivy's 2023 OOC opponents will be gunning hard at the Ivies, and I think that's probably true. As for Notre Dame and Duke, I'd love to see them schedule more games against Ivies; same for Cuse, UNC and UVA.

Okay, that's enough now from me.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

There's a lot of talent returning, between players with added eligibility and 2022's "Rookies" advancing a year in school.

Also, with six teams now with NCAA Tournament experience, an added level of maturity and competitiveness may be part of Ivy play next season.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

I would like to Princeton and "Cuse renew their annual rivalry. Harvard and ND would also be an intriguing matchup as well.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Here is what is listed on IL for incoming freshmen:

Brown - 12 Commits [1 A, 8 M, 2 D, 1 G]
**** - 3 *** - 6 UR - 3

Cornell - 13 Commits [2 A, 4 M, 1 FO, 5 D, 1 G]
***** - 1 **** - 7 *** - 2 UR - 3

Dartmouth - 9 Commits [2 A, 3 M, 1 LSM, 2 D, 1 G]
**** - 2 *** - 4 UR - 3

Harvard - 10 Commits [2 A, 4 M, 1 FO, 1 LSM, 1 D, 1 G]
***** - 2 **** - 5 *** - 3

Penn - 13 Commits [3 A, 5 M, 1 FO, 1 LSM, 2 D, 1 G]
**** - 7 *** - 1 UR - 5

Princeton - 11 Commits [3 A, 3 M, 1 FO, 2 LSM, 1 D, 1 G]
***** - 1 **** - 4 *** - 1 UR - 5

Yale - 9 Commits [1 A, 3 M, 1 LSM, 3 D, 1 G]
***** - 1 **** - 4 *** - 3 UR - 1
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:43 am
Who is returning?
I don't understand the black that has shown up in Dartmouth's uniforms. Dartmouth is the Big Green, and it's certainly a dark enough shade of green that there's no need for another dark color.

Penn's 2022 roster lists Handley, Gergar and Burkinshaw as seniors, but it's been said that Handley will play for the Quakers in 2023. Could anyone who follows Penn closely please elaborate on the likes of Gergar and Burkinshaw?

Getting six teams into the 2022 NCAA dance was almost certainly an anomoly. Comments on another thread have said that the Ivy's 2023 OOC opponents will be gunning hard at the Ivies, and I think that's probably true. As for Notre Dame and Duke, I'd love to see them schedule more games against Ivies; same for Cuse, UNC and UVA.

Maybe after '22 those programs will be willing to schedule home&home instead of always trying to get Ivies to travel. Lars did in '19 & '20, but he's a Brown alum, so that's an outlier. I believe Yale got some H&H with Maryland when the Bulldogs were clearly the top Ivy. UP & PU have played tough schedules; how many of their top-tier opponents have been willing to play in Philly & Princeton?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:04 am
FannOLax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:43 am
Who is returning?

Maybe after '22 those programs will be willing to schedule home&home instead of always trying to get Ivies to travel. Lars did in '19 & '20, but he's a Brown alum, so that's an outlier. I believe Yale got some H&H with Maryland when the Bulldogs were clearly the top Ivy. UP & PU have played tough schedules; how many of their top-tier opponents have been willing to play in Philly & Princeton?
Maryland routinely plays Penn and/or Princeton yearly - and both home and away. E.g., 2020 Penn came to College Park, but 2019 Maryland played at Penn. 2016 Maryland played at Yale, at Princeton, and at Penn etc.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:43 am Comments on another thread have said that the Ivy's 2023 OOC opponents will be gunning hard at the Ivies, and I think that's probably true.
I'm never sure what to make of comments like this. I assumed that you're always gunning for whoever it is you're playing.

Well, unless you're Duke. Then you just half-ass it most the time and whine about what a great team you are when your mediocre record and losses to mid-level teams keep you out of the playoffs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Alright let’s get a little realistic. Unless you meant Hopkins instead of Duke
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:49 am
FannOLax wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:43 am Comments on another thread have said that the Ivy's 2023 OOC opponents will be gunning hard at the Ivies, and I think that's probably true.
I'm never sure what to make of comments like this. I assumed that you're always gunning for whoever it is you're playing.

Well, unless you're Duke. Then you just half-ass it most the time and whine about what a great team you are when your mediocre record and losses to mid-level teams keep you out of the playoffs.
I think I made the comment on the other thread. And I do think that some top out of conference teams assumed the Ivies would be less challenging after 2021 off. I also think guys will be fired up some -- particularly if they're on ACC teams -- by the idea of the 6 Ivy bids. Does "bulletin board material" or extra motivation work if you don't have the talent? No. But if there's some parity of talent, "team on a mission" makes a difference in my observation, and I think we'll see some non-Ivy conferences "on a mission."
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:31 pm

I think I made the comment on the other thread. And I do think that some top out of conference teams assumed the Ivies would be less challenging after 2021 off. I also think guys will be fired up some -- particularly if they're on ACC teams -- by the idea of the 6 Ivy bids. Does "bulletin board material" or extra motivation work if you don't have the talent? No. But if there's some parity of talent, "team on a mission" makes a difference in my observation, and I think we'll see some non-Ivy conferences "on a mission."
If they want to take out their frustrations on the scoreboard, that's the way to do it. But seeing SOME fans, SOME alums,
SOME 'journalists'/bloggers/podcasters s#1tposting personal attacks on the committee has been disgusting.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

Re: Penn.

I had heard that Handley, Gergar, Farrare, and Bond will return next year.

This seems true as Penn Men's twitter put out something today honoring their graduating players and none of the above players were in the photo. There were 14 seniors on the roster and just 10 in the photo.

If this is true, as it seems, Penn should be very strong again next year:

Points in ().

Attack: Rubin (27), Smith (29), Gergar (69) and Walsh (13) all return.
Mid: Handley (73), Furey (32), Shipley (23) all return, lose their second line though on a team that already lacked some depth here, but the incoming class has three 4-star mids and one 3-star mid, so hopefully they grow up fast.
FO: Big question mark here as Zusi was terrific, back up Arceri was at 40% this year, Palazzi was a top FO guy from HS and has been playing SSDM, maybe he can step in, they do have a 4-star frosh arriving, and there is a small chance of gaining someone via the portal, quick look shows Mullins (UNC), Kriss (Denver), Savage (Cuse) and Baker (Penn St).
Rope: Bond, Palazzi, Farrare (8) all return.
Def: Lavelle, Blake, Till, Kuehl all return, lose Lenz.
Goal: Carroll played well in relief of Burkinshaw early in the year, so hope he steps up.

And seems like incoming class with seven 4 stars and one 3 star arriving should add some depth.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Yeah, and the Ivy will be on a mission to prove to the lacrosse world that this year was no fluke. In the end, I think it all balances out.
calourie

Post by calourie »

I'll venture a guess that the top six Ivies from this year will be included in next season's top 20 given all the standout players it appears that the teams have returning. Four in the top ten wouldn't surprise me either. I suppose we will have to wait for the 2022-23 rosters to come out to know for sure who has what eligibility remaining, and for fall ball scrimmages to be played to determine what newcomers might be assuming significant roles. I wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the 2023 Ivy regular season be just as competitive and unpredictable as this season's was, as well as another real dogfight for ILT inclusion.

Given their performances in the NCAA tourney I would expect a number of prognosticators will be jumping on the Cornell and Princeton bandwagons as Ivy favorites, but I would once again include Yale and Penn along with those two as primary contenders for Ivy supremacy, with Harvard and Brown close enough behind that off season conditioning and skill improvement along with fall ball and in season player development could well tilt the playing field in their favor. I'll leave off complimenting the improvement Dartmouth has been showing over the past couple of years. A continuation of that type of improvement should result in a program changing Ivy win in the very near future

Wonderful league to watch this past season, and I fully expect the same for this upcoming 2023 season.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

calourie wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:22 pm I'll venture a guess that the top six Ivies from this year will be included in next season's top 20 given all the standout players it appears that the teams have returning. Four in the top ten wouldn't surprise me either. I suppose we will have to wait for the 2022-23 rosters to come out to know for sure who has what eligibility remaining, and for fall ball scrimmages to be played to determine what newcomers might be assuming significant roles. I wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the 2023 Ivy regular season be just as competitive and unpredictable as this season's was, as well as another real dogfight for ILT inclusion.

Given their performances in the NCAA tourney I would expect a number of prognosticators will be jumping on the Cornell and Princeton bandwagons as Ivy favorites, but I would once again include Yale and Penn along with those two as primary contenders for Ivy supremacy, with Harvard and Brown close enough behind that off season conditioning and skill improvement along with fall ball and in season player development could well tilt the playing field in their favor. I'll leave off complimenting the improvement Dartmouth has been showing over the past couple of years. A continuation of that type of improvement should result in a program changing Ivy win in the very near future

Wonderful league to watch this past season, and I fully expect the same for this upcoming 2023 season.
In which case you’d have,
-6 Ivy teams
-at least 4 ACC teams
-3 BIG teams
-as many as 2 Big East teams

Its going to be a crowded Top 20 field.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:28 pm

If they want to take out their frustrations on the scoreboard, that's the way to do it. But seeing SOME fans, SOME alums,
SOME 'journalists'/bloggers/podcasters s#1tposting personal attacks on the committee has been disgusting.
I agree. I thought there was a reasonable amount of misogyny in some of the attacks (teeing off on the committee chair in particular, using her first name in a Twitter hashtag, etc.). I don't think it was the lacrosse programs themselves -- it was alums/fans/commentators etc.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:37 pm

Yeah, and the Ivy will be on a mission to prove to the lacrosse world that this year was no fluke. In the end, I think it all balances out.
Fair point! And I sure hope the league picks up where it left off.
Stiffler

Post by Stiffler »

Bluecollar wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:21 pm Re: Penn.

This seems true as Penn Men's twitter put out something today honoring their graduating players and none of the above players were in the photo. There were 14 seniors on the roster and just 10 in the photo.

Points in ().

Mid: Handley (73), Furey (32), Shipley (23) all return, lose their second line though on a team that already lacked some depth here, but the incoming class has three 4-star mids and one 3-star mid, so hopefully they grow up fast.
FO: Big question mark here as Zusi was terrific, back up Arceri was at 40% this year, Palazzi was a top FO guy from HS and has been playing SSDM, maybe he can step in, they do have a 4-star frosh arriving, and there is a small chance of gaining someone via the portal, quick look shows Mullins (UNC), Kriss (Denver), Savage (Cuse) and Baker (Penn St).
Goal: Carroll played well in relief of Burkinshaw early in the year, so hope he steps up.

And seems like incoming class with seven 4 stars and one 3 star arriving should add some depth.
Right now..Handley, Gergar, BJ and Bond are re-enrolling in the Spring. They will not participate in Fall ball or workouts. Big challenge for Murphy and staff to balance these guys dropping in for the Spring while the rest of the team gel's in the Fall thought workouts and Fall Ball. Will be very interesting to watch.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Stiffler wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 am

Points in ().

Right now..Handley, Gergar, BJ and Bond are re-enrolling in the Spring. They will not participate in Fall ball or workouts. Big challenge for Murphy and staff to balance these guys dropping in for the Spring while the rest of the team gel's in the Fall thought workouts and Fall Ball. Will be very interesting to watch.
Thanks. Seems like each school has it’s own withdrawal policy. I am glad these kids can get in 4 years of Ivy League lacrosse.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Stiffler

Post by Stiffler »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:47 am
Stiffler wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 am

Points in ().

Thanks. Seems like each school has it’s own withdrawal policy. I am glad these kids can get in 4 years of Ivy League lacrosse.
Agree that the kids should get 4 years. Don't love that they will not be on campus and participating in Fall part of the program. I think it has the potential to be quite a strain on the team and coaches (as opposed to those 5th year guys who are enrolled and a part of the team all year), so we will see. As I said, interesting to observe how it is handled.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”