ASUN 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

ASUN 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

Jacksonville, Mercer, and Lindenwood are the new programs. I could be very wrong. But I am going ahead and predicting Jacksonville and Utah to have the best seasons and meet in the conference tournament championships. Not only will they be talented, but they will have that "unfinished business" mentality due to experiencing painful one-goal losses in their conference title games in 2022.
Homer

Re: ASUN 2023

Post by Homer »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:19 am Jacksonville, Mercer, and Lindenwood are the new programs. I could be very wrong. But I am going ahead and predicting Jacksonville and Utah to have the best seasons and meet in the conference tournament championships. Not only will they be talented, but they will have that "unfinished business" mentality due to experiencing painful one-goal losses in their conference title games in 2022.
And Queens.

I think the operative question about the ASUN is whether it becomes anything other than a tediously predictable circuit where the only real action is the conference tournament.

Right now it sets up as a 10-team league with a marked gap between the top 4 (Jacksonville, Utah, Robert Morris, Air Force) and the rest (Bellarmine, Cleveland State, Detroit Mercy, Lindenwood, Mercer, Queens). Playing a full conference schedule against that set of teams will likely torpedo everybody's RPI/SOS to the point that an AL is impossible.

So it sort of looks like the conference is getting one bid, it'll be decided between 4 teams known in advance over one weekend, and none of the rest of it really makes any difference. A bit boring, if it does shake out that way. The question is whether one or more of the 6 teams I've written off can step up and make things a little more fun.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:05 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:19 am Jacksonville, Mercer, and Lindenwood are the new programs. I could be very wrong. But I am going ahead and predicting Jacksonville and Utah to have the best seasons and meet in the conference tournament championships. Not only will they be talented, but they will have that "unfinished business" mentality due to experiencing painful one-goal losses in their conference title games in 2022.
And Queens.

I think the operative question about the ASUN is whether it becomes anything other than a tediously predictable circuit where the only real action is the conference tournament.

Right now it sets up as a 10-team league with a marked gap between the top 4 (Jacksonville, Utah, Robert Morris, Air Force) and the rest (Bellarmine, Cleveland State, Detroit Mercy, Lindenwood, Mercer, Queens). Playing a full conference schedule against that set of teams will likely torpedo everybody's RPI/SOS to the point that an AL is impossible.

So it sort of looks like the conference is getting one bid, it'll be decided between 4 teams known in advance over one weekend, and none of the rest of it really makes any difference. A bit boring, if it does shake out that way. The question is whether one or more of the 6 teams I've written off can step up and make things a little more fun.
That was for the most part the NEC over the years. St Joes, RoMo, Bryant and Hobart.

Mercer has some potential, I’m curious to see if Jason Knoxs brother Riley can make an impact but they lose Goldsmith.

Bellarmine I believe has existential risk but had a little run w Dillon Ward and some athletic middies a decade ago under Burns (and great part of town in LVille)

CState seems a bit lost w/o Sheridan

DM sometimes seems punchy but don’t see it.

The other two are random new programs - maybe Queens in Charlotte can tap into some southern HS growth where Furman and Mercer havent. It’s a far better location than being in the Triad (HPU) part of the state or Macon. May be pro cyclical and fall off again but Truist is trying to backfill the gutting of Bank of America and Wachovia though they ibankers have stayed in Atlanta, NASCAR has come back a little towards ore crises (talking economic drivers for the city which was flying high pressure financial crisis ans had a harder fall than other southern cities)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:19 am Jacksonville, Mercer, Lindenwood, and Queens are the new programs. I could be very wrong. But I am going ahead and predicting Jacksonville and Utah to have the best seasons and meet in the conference tournament championships. Not only will they be talented, but they will have that "unfinished business" mentality due to experiencing painful one-goal losses in their conference title games in 2022.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Here is what IL has listed for incoming freshmen:

Air Force - 24 Commits [9 A, 5 M, 1 FO, 2 LSM, 6 D, 1 G]
**** - 1 *** - 6

Bellarmine - 14 Commits [5 A, 3 M, 1 FO, 1 LSM, 3 D, 1 G]

Cleveland State - 10 Commits [4 A, 2 M, 1 FO, 1 LSM, 1 D, 1 G]

Detroit Mercy - 5 Commits [3 A, 1 M, 1 LSM]

Jacksonville - 18 Commits [2 A, 8 M, 1 FO, 1 LSM, 5 D, 1 G]

Lindenwood - 4 Commits [1 A, 3 M]

Mercer - 7 Commits [1 A, 2 M, 1 FO, 2 D, 1 G]

Queens - 3 Commits [1 A, 2 M]

Robert Morris - 12 Commits [3 A, 4 M, 1 FO, 2 LSM, 1 D, 1 G]

Utah - 14 Commits [2 A, 4 M, 2 FO, 1 LSM, 4 D, 1 G]

I would imagine Detroit Mercy, Lindenwood, Mercer and Queens all have more incoming guys, but this is what is listed.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

By the way. I hope that, this time, and hopefully for the indefinitely future, they have the conference tournament at the stadium of one of the programs who is currently in the conference for lacrosse.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:16 am The other two are random new programs - maybe Queens in Charlotte can tap into some southern HS growth where Furman and Mercer havent. It’s a far better location than being in the Triad (HPU) part of the state or Macon. May be pro cyclical and fall off again but Truist is trying to backfill the gutting of Bank of America and Wachovia though they ibankers have stayed in Atlanta, NASCAR has come back a little towards ore crises (talking economic drivers for the city which was flying high pressure financial crisis ans had a harder fall than other southern cities)
I just went and looked at the rosters out of curiosity.

Queens is pretty close to dividing exactly 25% NC, 25% other Southern states (including Texas), 25% Canada, and 25% from anywhere else.

Lindenwood is interesting. I'm not sure we've ever had a D1 team quite like this, because previous promotions from D2 have generally been in the Northeast. Their current roster has essentially no recruiting nexus to "hotbeds" whatsoever. Their primary states/provinces for getting players are Illinois and Minnesota, followed by Indiana, Missouri, Ontario, and Texas. Curious to see if they can maintain that strategy going forward.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Homer wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:17 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:16 am The other two are random new programs - maybe Queens in Charlotte can tap into some southern HS growth where Furman and Mercer havent. It’s a far better location than being in the Triad (HPU) part of the state or Macon. May be pro cyclical and fall off again but Truist is trying to backfill the gutting of Bank of America and Wachovia though they ibankers have stayed in Atlanta, NASCAR has come back a little towards ore crises (talking economic drivers for the city which was flying high pressure financial crisis ans had a harder fall than other southern cities)

Queens is pretty close to dividing exactly 25% NC, 25% other Southern states (including Texas), 25% Canada, and 25% from anywhere else.

Lindenwood is interesting. I'm not sure we've ever had a D1 team quite like this, because previous promotions from D2 have generally been in the Northeast. Their current roster has essentially no recruiting nexus to "hotbeds" whatsoever. Their primary states/provinces for getting players are Illinois and Minnesota, followed by Indiana, Missouri, Ontario, and Texas. Curious to see if they can maintain that strategy going forward.
I think maybe Rockhurst Jesuit in KS Hs sent some kids to D1 programs.

Suppose if you can work TX, Il and waive in Canadians with marginal merit based academic prospects you could carve a path.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Homer

Post by Homer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:44 pm Suppose if you can work TX, Il and waive in Canadians with marginal merit based academic prospects you could carve a path.
Currently under consideration as the ASUN's official motto. Only holdup is translating it into Latin so as to put it on the seal.
BearsLax

Post by BearsLax »

ASun
ASun
D44A7E8B-7DAD-4D4B-82F4-32D70B2B189E.jpeg (235.77 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

BearsLax wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:24 pm D44A7E8B-7DAD-4D4B-82F4-32D70B2B189E.jpeg
10 schools, 10 states for the ASUN! CAA will be 8 schools, 7 states (Stony Brook and Hofstra). Ivy goes 7 schools, 7 states for men's lacrosse. CAA and Ivy states are all contiguous.

Opposite side of coin? Patriot still with 9 schools, 4 states (PA with three, NY, MA, MD with two) and......New MAAC will be 10 schools across just 4 states (6 NY schools + VMI, MSM, Sacred Heart, and Quinnipiac!).
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Homer wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:17 pm

Lindenwood made posts on Instagram around signing day for each HS player that signed their LOI. There was 12 posts: 2 from Pennsylvania, 1 from California, 1 from Colorado, 2 from Texas, 1 from Ontario, 1 from British Columbia, 1 from Michigan, 2 from Minnesota and 1 from Oklahoma
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good write up in Lacrosse Bucket on Jax,

Tufts grad transfer Max Waldbaum led the way for the Dolphins last season with 72 points off 48 goals and 24 assists. Fellow attackmen Jacob Greiner (51G/18A) and Jackson Intrieri (31G/30A) were the Dolphins’ second and third-leading scorers with 69 and 61 points, respectively, to create what was one of the most productive attack units in college lacrosse with 202 points (130 goals) between the three.

Of that heralded attack, all three will be back in 2023.

In late May, it was announced that Georgetown star Dylan Watson would be heading to the Sunshine State to play his fifth and final season of eligibility of college lacrosse with the Jacksonville Dolphins.

Named the 2022 Big East Attackman of The Year, Watson 64 points off 58 goals and six assists for the Hoyas this past spring. He ended the year as the team’s leader in goals and second-leading point-getter.

In addition to Watson, the Dolphins have also added UMBC midfield grad transfer Brandon Galloway. A second-team All-America East selection in 2021, Galloway netted 24 goals and dished out three assists as the Retrievers’ leading goal-scorer and second-leading point-getter. He only played in one game this past season for UMBC.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BearsLax

Post by BearsLax »

This conference alignment will be short-lived.

But I guess most will be for the foreseeable future.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BearsLax wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:08 am This conference alignment will be short-lived.

But I guess most will be for the foreseeable future.
Mercer picked up another top recruit.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Who did Mercer get? They are close to a breakout year with the young talent they have.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Riley Knox
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:47 pm Good write up in Lacrosse Bucket on Jax,

Tufts grad transfer Max Waldbaum led the way for the Dolphins last season with 72 points off 48 goals and 24 assists. Fellow attackmen Jacob Greiner (51G/18A) and Jackson Intrieri (31G/30A) were the Dolphins’ second and third-leading scorers with 69 and 61 points, respectively, to create what was one of the most productive attack units in college lacrosse with 202 points (130 goals) between the three.

Of that heralded attack, all three will be back in 2023.

In late May, it was announced that Georgetown star Dylan Watson would be heading to the Sunshine State to play his fifth and final season of eligibility of college lacrosse with the Jacksonville Dolphins.

Named the 2022 Big East Attackman of The Year, Watson 64 points off 58 goals and six assists for the Hoyas this past spring. He ended the year as the team’s leader in goals and second-leading point-getter.

In addition to Watson, the Dolphins have also added UMBC midfield grad transfer Brandon Galloway. A second-team All-America East selection in 2021, Galloway netted 24 goals and dished out three assists as the Retrievers’ leading goal-scorer and second-leading point-getter. He only played in one game this past season for UMBC.
Yep! As I will continue to say, 2023 will be unfinished business at the finest for both Jacksonville and Utah.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

For Jax,

Liam Perro is one incoming recruit I am interested in,
yet another skilled Edge Lacrosse club Canadian.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:07 pm Who did Mercer get? They are close to a breakout year with the young talent they have.
Reigning in the off season hype, Mercer has a long way to go. Without their FO ace, they lost to VMI who is younger than Mercer. When Wood got back, he owned Richmond/Jax/HPU but Mercer was just still 1-2 in those games. Wood was a Sr last year and is not on the transfer portal listing (that I know). If he stays, that is a great start. If he goes......... Further, their leading scorer, by a wide margin, was also a Sr. If he goes too.....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”