PLL 2022

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
DeepPocket

PLL 2022

Post by DeepPocket »

Firing up this weekend in Albany. Air-Gait rule approved. Also penalties in the final 10 seconds add 10 seconds to the game clock. Fun changes if you ask me.

My York boys made the 25 man rosters, Whitcher (18’) on the Waterdogs and Kennedy (22’) on the Redwoods. Great to see them keep playing.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
belichick

Re: PLL 2022

Post by belichick »

Very excited for the 2022 PLL season. The talent level is this league is amazing. All games on ESPN+. Redwoods v Atlas on ESPN Saturday at 5:00pm.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

belichick wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:03 pm Very excited for the 2022 PLL season. The talent level is this league is amazing. All games on ESPN+. Redwoods v Atlas on ESPN Saturday at 5:00pm.
Yea I’m really looking forward the the Saturday 5pm ESPN flag ship game. I don’t have ESPN+, I’m suffering from “streaming service fatigue” with all this stuff.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

I also don't have ESPN+ and I looked at the seasons' TV schedule and was disappointed to see that most of the games are only on ESPN+. Most weeks there is 1 game (out of 4) on TV but there are a few weeks where there are none on TV including the Quarterfinal weekend. That seems like less than when it was on the NBC Networks.
lorin

Post by lorin »

YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:03 pm I also don't have ESPN+ and I looked at the seasons' TV schedule and was disappointed to see that most of the games are only on ESPN+. Most weeks there is 1 game (out of 4) on TV but there are a few weeks where there are none on TV including the Quarterfinal weekend. That seems like less than when it was on the NBC Networks.
ESPN Plus is very cheap, also get tons of D1 games.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

My son and I went to Albany this past weekend. When the Chrome game was starting, a gentleman next to me remarked at how "big" Sconone looked. I'm a big Sconone fan, so we chatted a bit. This gentleman indicated his son played against him in college. I asked where his son went to school, and he said Army. I asked what he was doing now and he pointed to no. 20 Nichtern, that's him right there.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

lorin wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:45 am
YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:03 pm I also don't have ESPN+ and I looked at the seasons' TV schedule and was disappointed to see that most of the games are only on ESPN+. Most weeks there is 1 game (out of 4) on TV but there are a few weeks where there are none on TV including the Quarterfinal weekend. That seems like less than when it was on the NBC Networks.
ESPN Plus is very cheap, also get tons of D1 games.
+1
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Ok ok. With Ryan Kennedy making the gameday roster for the Redwoods, I’ve subscribed to ESPN+
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Surprised to see both Waterdogs and Redwoods winless through 2 weeks. I was high on both coming in.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Solid games this weekend. 4-2 half of chaos/archers game.

I think Carc was odd man out in the booth. Ryan and Chris do really well together keeping the game flowing without having to pay attention to them during play in the field.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Congrats to the Waterdogs on their PLL Championship. It doesn’t happen without Matt Whitcher (York ‘18) scoring the game tying goal vs the Whipsnakes with 3:47 to play in the 4th quarter of the Semi-finals.

Just 6.1% of fans who filled out a bracket on the PLL app had the Waterdogs taking it all. Those who picked them get to be the only ones to buy a special edition “6.1% club” championship hat. Awesome touch by the league.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Championship series?
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:48 am Championship series?
No thank you.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DQKing wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:02 am No thank you.
Yea I’m kind of stuck scratching my head on this one. Is it the teams who didn’t make the playoffs? Is it the teams who made it but didn’t win?

What makes these teams the “champions,” and then the rosters. No Rambo? Lots of missing key pieces (NLL conflicts I assume).

Changing the rules for a few games, when you’re already playing with many rules that are unfamiliar or foreign to your very niche lacrosse fan base?

I just don’t see how this was a good idea. I follow lacrosse on all levels, & probably more than your average lacrosse fan. And while I’m not big on social media, I’ve seen pretty much zero press on this. I just don’t get it.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:13 am
I follow lacrosse on all levels, & probably more than your average lacrosse fan. And while I’m not big on social media, I’ve seen pretty much zero press on this. I just don’t get it.
I follow on all levels from local middle school to high school to all divisions and levels of college and the PLL does nothing for me. The MLL had their problems but my interest level in pro lacrosse was much greater then than now.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DQKing wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:59 am
DeepPocket wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:13 am
I follow lacrosse on all levels, & probably more than your average lacrosse fan. And while I’m not big on social media, I’ve seen pretty much zero press on this. I just don’t get it.
I follow on all levels from local middle school to high school to all divisions and levels of college and the PLL does nothing for me. The MLL had their problems but my interest level in pro lacrosse was much greater then than now.
I agree, and also had a stronger rooting interest in the city based model. Do you think that’s a contributor to your personal disinterest?

The only thing driving my PLL fandom now are the alma maters...

I went to MLL games, and currently go to NLL games. I’ve never been to a PLL game, though several have taken place nearby. I do however watch them when time permits. So I’ve wondered myself if I’m not going in person because of the tv availability, which wasn’t there as much for the MLL.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Absolutely think lack of locations for teams is a hindrance. Even if my city or location is not represented it just lacks something without having a "base of operations." Also not a fan of the shortened field and shot clock, fighting, not wearing pads, horrible team names etc. Next thing you know they will be having Sixes...wait...never mind...

I'm not judging but asking: I've heard others say they follow the PLL based on alma matters. Do you follow any other pro sports because of the alma matters? Have you ever heard anyone from Michigan say they are a fan of the Patriots because they have six former Wolverines on the team? This thinking is totally foreign to me. Again, not judging but it just doesn't compute for me.

Personally I'd much rather go in person than watch on TV. Been to one PLL "game" day simply because we were given free tickets. Paid routinely for MLL games and drove hours to see them. That being said, the traveling circus only comes to town once a year with the PLL for most people. I could be wrong but when you consider the number of games they have on a weekend I'm not sure the attendance is any better than the MLL. I'd be curious to see those numbers broken down as a per game number for both. PLL on TV doesn't hold my interest either. Maybe that is because of everything above but in the past I would seek out MLL games via ESPN, ESPN+, YouTube or whatever they were on.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DQKing wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 am …I'm not judging but asking: I've heard others say they follow the PLL based on alma matters. Do you follow any other pro sports because of the alma matters? Have you ever heard anyone from Michigan say they are a fan of the Patriots because they have six former Wolverines on the team? This thinking is totally foreign to me. Again, not judging but it just doesn't compute for me…
No offense taken at all.

So, I’m not 100% sure why anyone else will follow a PLL team or teams based on alma maters. But for me, having played D3, seeing a few guys from my little school play on the big stage- bam, I follow their teams. Having a “real world” co-worker play- bam I follow that team. Having a coach at my school play- bam I follow that team.

With those 5 PLL players I can connect with all playing for different teams, I guess you could say I really don’t have “a single team that I follow” but more just follow the league as another way to get my lacrosse fix (though I favor the first one I connected with).

For some fans it may very well just be the lack of any other form of rooting interest, and finding a way to connect with a team- if you’ve been a Maryland fan and loved watching Rambo play, and want to still cheer for him (or just now are trying to enjoy the PLL product and don’t know where to start) I guess you’re a Whipsnakes fan (next logical question is- what about when he is traded? And the answer is I don’t know).

As for other sports and following based on alma maters, only on the player level do I follow as such. Most people like me already have an allegiance (likely based on locale) to a pro team. As a fan of specific DI schools due to relatives etc, I absolutely follow those players who I watched grow go on the “the big leagues”. Doesn’t mean that those teams become my favorite, I just follow the players. (Same goes for HS players I’ve seen play and have a connection to schools/club-wise)

Not sure of format sustainability or where it leads, but I’m currently watching Catholic vs W&L on streaming, and could care less about who wins, so maybe I’m just a fan of lacrosse, and the rule differences are an easier pill to swallow coming in as someone who also enjoys NLL which too has differences….
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone having issues with ESPN+ App loading?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:39 pm Anyone having issues with ESPN+ App loading?
Nope

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”