Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Jldlax wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:25 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:20 am For the record I think Warne is a very good coach despite my issues with his tantrum on the FO in late Q3. Just like Warne would expect his kids to keep working to be better, do better, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask the same of him. That’s all.
In my opinion, Warne has done a very good job at GU. He took over after an unfortunate decline in the late Urick years. He had some rough years after trying to instill his own culture and bring in his own players. This started paying off about 7-8 years ago and the core guys from that era instilled a hard working culture which has continued through today. He has recruited very well and used the portal well. Aside from the Ivys almost every top team has used the portal to fill its needs - where would MD have been last year, or ND this year, without it?

The challenge now is to break through into the very top against the “blue bloods” like MD, Duke, VA, etc. I think that GU has improved its chances by upgrading its facilities, winning its league and making the tourney, and improving its schedule. I think that the relative weakness of the Big East and its awful alliance with FloSports are roadblocks. The very top guys have the ACC, Big10 and Ivies as choices. Most of those schools have great academics, plus exposure on ESPN or the Big10 network. Playing the top teams out of conference to upgrade the schedule is good, but we saw the downside of this this year with a team that needed time to gel. I do not know if there is a solution to this, but most programs would envy GU’s position.
The facilities are so much better than what Dave was working with though I always felt there was a charm to the old setup.

Even though it doesn’t help you we played GT for a solid 20yrs or so straight and would love to see that again. Not likely to happen though.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:20 am For the record I think Warne is a very good coach despite my issues with his tantrum on the FO in late Q3. Just like Warne would expect his kids to keep working to be better, do better, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask the same of him. That’s all.
In my opinion, Warne has done a very good job at GU. He took over after an unfortunate decline in the late Urick years. He had some rough years after trying to instill his own culture and bring in his own players. This started paying off about 7-8 years ago and the core guys from that era instilled a hard working culture which has continued through today. He has recruited very well and used the portal well. Aside from the Ivys almost every top team has used the portal to fill its needs - where would MD have been last year, or ND this year, without it?

The challenge now is to break through into the very top against the “blue bloods” like MD, Duke, VA, etc. I think that GU has improved its chances by upgrading its facilities, winning its league and making the tourney, and improving its schedule. I think that the relative weakness of the Big East and its awful alliance with FloSports are roadblocks. The very top guys have the ACC, Big10 and Ivies as choices. Most of those schools have great academics, plus exposure on ESPN or the Big10 network. Playing the top teams out of conference to upgrade the schedule is good, but we saw the downside of this this year with a team that needed time to gel. I do not know if there is a solution to this, but most programs would envy GU’s position.
Would be beneficial to add another ACC team or someone like Maryland back to the schedule later in the season. Playing all the best teams on the schedule so early in the season is not ideal.

And yes, please get rid of Flo Sports.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Congratulations to the Hoyas on another successful season. While the mercenary experiment didn’t quite pan out, let’s look at the culture Warne has built regardless. The rejuvenation of the program after the dark spell following Urick’s glory years two decades ago begins with Warne’s first full recruiting class (2014 high school seniors). The current foundation was built on the backs of homegrown All Americans Craig Berge, Nick Marrocco and Ryan Hursey. Then came AA Dan Bucaro. Then came Jake Carraway, the first AA to stay for a fifth year after Covid. Then AAs Gibson Smith and Owen McElroy returned. This year AA James Reilly and captain Declan McDermott came back. Certainly AA Graham Bundy will return for the last Covid opportunity in 2024, with perhaps some other key homegrown guys this senior class. While bringing in superstars like Dordevic and Minicus certainly helps, Warne’s success is the culture built on the backs of those mentioned above. If he sticks to that knitting, the Hoyas will be a force for a long time.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Comeonman wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:59 am…Certainly AA Graham Bundy will return for the last Covid opportunity in 2024.
Hard to take returning for granted these days.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

rolldodge wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:35 am

Would be beneficial to add another ACC team or someone like Maryland back to the schedule later in the season. Playing all the best teams on the schedule so early in the season is not ideal.

The way the schedules are laid out with conferences make this close to impossible. Big Ten plays conference games its last 5 weeks and with how much of a grind those games are no coaches are going to schedule a mid-week game.

ACC is a little more flexible with how they configure there's, they spread the conference games out more, but since Big East also plays all conference games last 5 weeks, it'd have to be a midweek and again, coaches aren't big fans of those these days.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:39 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:35 am

The way the schedules are laid out with conferences make this close to impossible. Big Ten plays conference games its last 5 weeks and with how much of a grind those games are no coaches are going to schedule a mid-week game.

ACC is a little more flexible with how they configure there's, they spread the conference games out more, but since Big East also plays all conference games last 5 weeks, it'd have to be a midweek and again, coaches aren't big fans of those these days.
Didn’t GT have a midweek Loyola game in conference season? They just didn’t provide any fight in that one this year.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They have the last few years, but Loyola isn't going to be a team that fits with what RD is describing. Georgetown has way more talent than Loyola at this point. Kind of akin to playing Denver a 2nd or 3rd time.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Great job this year also by John Hogan. Coming in with some big shoes to fill after Phipps departure and having to integrate a bunch of big swingers on the offensive side. Good sign for the future of Hoya lacrosse.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Watching these other games and it’s feels like Virginia was the worst possible matchup for the Hoyas. They definitely were good enough to be a final four team. That’s the seed that losing those first three games gets you. And in the end, whoever wins it is either going to be Virginia or has to go through them.

Onward.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”