Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Maryland 2023

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Georgetown may never get a 2023 thread, but dammit Maryland will!

I’ll leave it to the Terps lax cognoscenti (looking at you, wheels and jrn) to clue us in on the rest of next year’s starters and main rotation players, but here’s what I believe we start with:

FOGO: Wierman, Tygh
Attack: Malever, Murphy, Kelly?
Mid1: Long, Brennan, Koras
Mid2: Maltz, Spanos?, Siracusa?
SSDM: Coffman, Lacey?, Cope?, ???
LSM: Geppert, Sherrer?
Defense: Makar, Zapitello, Burlace?
Goalie: McNaney

Heard Tevlin and Fake may be transferring in, which would mean our second midfield line and close defense would be set. SSDM is the biggest question mark in my mind. Anyone know anything about Lacey? Apparently first-team All-NEC.
Seahawk

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by Seahawk »

Only two years left for Covid year. Better start developing some of your underclassmen. Two 5-stars (Larkin and Schaller) come in next year on the defense. As much as Tillman doesn’t like to play Freshmen, those two hopefully are part of the rotation in 2023.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Seahawk wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:31 pm Only two years left for Covid year. Better start developing some of your underclassmen. Two 5-stars (Larkin and Schaller) come in next year on the defense. As much as Tillman doesn’t like to play Freshmen, those two hopefully are part of the rotation in 2023.
Like… McNaney, Malever, Wierman, Zapitello, Koras, and Murphy?

All of those guys just completed their second year of eligibility, and were starters. The first two were also starters last year.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

From the Maryland Athletics website here's what I found:

Terps current roster:

5th year Seniors
Wisnauskus
Fairmain
Demaio
Higgins

Graduates:
Donville
Rahill
Puglise
Morris
Kahn
Smith
Prybylski

Seniors:
Cope
Geppert
Long
Coffman
Makar

I do not know the details of the Covid year eligibility so others will have to note who can come back and who moves on. I assume that the 5th year Seniors have used their eligibility......
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

NoLeft wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:43 pm From the Maryland Athletics website here's what I found:

Terps current roster:

5th year Seniors
Wisnauskus
Fairmain
Demaio
Higgins

Graduates:
Donville
Rahill
Puglise
Morris
Kahn
Smith
Prybylski

Seniors:
Cope
Geppert
Long
Coffman
Makar

I do not know the details of the Covid year eligibility so others will have to note who can come back and who moves on. I assume that the 5th year Seniors have used their eligibility......
The non-5th-year seniors all have a year of eligibility left.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Let's take a guess just based off the guys on the roster now, no transfers

A: Malever, Murphy, Kelly
M: Long, Brennan, Koras
2M: Tucker, Spanos, Maltz

Close: Makar, Zaps, C. Burlace
LSM: Geppert, McDonald, Larkin
SSDM: Coffman, Lacey, ???, ???

Goalie: Mac, Ruppel

Wild cards: Trader, Xfers

If the rumors are true and Fake and Tevlin are transferring in; I think you slot Tevlin in at the last 2nd MF spot and then at SSDM. I think he's basically exactly what Bubba was this year, but with less depth on offense you'll see him take more offensive shifts. He would be a great pick-up, he'd give us a proven 20-30 point scorer and a terrific defender. He's not quite the athlete Fairman was, but in terms of play type it'd be a seamless replacement. Fake would slide in for C. Burlace at close. I think this would be great for him, he's a great player and talented but he's sometimes struggled having to guard opponents #1 option every week. Here he'd get to take the #3 and really feast. Both would be good additions.

the 2nd MF is going to be the big question from this year to next. You're never going to have a 2nd MF that scores 60 goals combined again. They got more points from the 2nd group than some really good teams got from their 1st. But can that group be more in line with the 2021 or 2016 units than the 2017-19 groups? With Tucker, Spanos, and Maltz...I def think that's a possibility. But they'll need more than they got from 17-19 where the 2nd MF was just eating minutes to give 1st guys a breather.

Then, shortie depth. Tevlin coming in would be big. If Coffman can overcome his injury he'll be great. I haven't seen a lot of Sacred Heart, but hopefully Lacey can make similar impact to what Alex Smith provided coming from Hartford. But two shorties isn't enough depth. You don't need 4 like we had this year and 4 that are PLL level players, but 3 good ones is a good start.

With McNaney becoming an AA level goalie, Wierman back, and Makar/Zaps/Geppert on D plus a ton of points on offense coming back, should be a Top 5 team to start the year and we know Tills always maximizes the group
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:59 pm Let's take a guess just based off the guys on the roster now, no transfers

If the rumors are true and Fake and Tevlin are transferring in; I think you slot Tevlin in at the last 2nd MF spot and then at SSDM. I think he's basically exactly what Bubba was this year, but with less depth on offense you'll see him take more offensive shifts. He would be a great pick-up, he'd give us a proven 20-30 point scorer and a terrific defender. He's not quite the athlete Fairman was, but in terms of play type it'd be a seamless replacement. Fake would slide in for C. Burlace at close. I think this would be great for him, he's a great player and talented but he's sometimes struggled having to guard opponents #1 option every week. Here he'd get to take the #3 and really feast. Both would be good additions.

the 2nd MF is going to be the big question from this year to next. You're never going to have a 2nd MF that scores 60 goals combined again. They got more points from the 2nd group than some really good teams got from their 1st. But can that group be more in line with the 2021 or 2016 units than the 2017-19 groups? With Tucker, Spanos, and Maltz...I def think that's a possibility. But they'll need more than they got from 17-19 where the 2nd MF was just eating minutes to give 1st guys a breather.

Then, shortie depth. Tevlin coming in would be big. If Coffman can overcome his injury he'll be great. I haven't seen a lot of Sacred Heart, but hopefully Lacey can make similar impact to what Alex Smith provided coming from Hartford. But two shorties isn't enough depth. You don't need 4 like we had this year and 4 that are PLL level players, but 3 good ones is a good start.

With McNaney becoming an AA level goalie, Wierman back, and Makar/Zaps/Geppert on D plus a ton of points on offense coming back, should be a Top 5 team to start the year and we know Tills always maximizes the group
I wonder if there’s a chance we could see Malever coming back out of the box with the first midfield. Start Maltz at attack and then leave Malever out there when the second midfield comes on. That would probably leave Koras on the 2nd midfield which would give it a bit more punch. I’m sure Tills will figure it out and all is transfer dependent, but it was one thought.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

What about putting Long on attack, and having Malever and Murphy do the same switching between attack and midfield that they did this year?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I think you run Long out of the box because if you can get him on a shortie it's just such a crazy adv. He'll draw a pole most of the time next year, but as we saw this year when they ran Malever out of the box and kept Murphy on, you can get him on a shortie through sub game but if Long is at attack, he's always going to be on a pole. I do think inverting him more would be smart though, he's a tremendous dodger and passer but he just doesn't have a threatening shot. He had quite a few shots against Cornell time and room that just didn't threaten the goal.

I love Maltz and for so many years - 2021 included - he was a shoo-in on the offense cause there was always room for a crease guy. But with the way they've evolved the offense, it's just hard to have a guy on the field all the time who can't dodge a shortie. He's a great option 2nd MF to present a diff look and you put him in there when teams run zone against you, on man-up, but as a starting attackmen you have to be able to dodge a shortie.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

SSDM: Coffman, Lacey, Cope, ???

I think some depends on who is #1 because you know that players will be on the field the whole game. Many feel it will be Malever. I would like to see Long get the honor.

Would not over look Siracusa and Spanos. There names were getting throughout a lot as being on the scout team and pushing the defense. Spanos was red-shirting this season.

LSM Sherrer was injured this season so guess see how he comes back.

Side notes
So the quarterfinals the Terps were able to fly out to OSU but had to drive home because they couldn’t get a fly home. Then one of the buses broke down at 1:30 in the morning on the drive home.

Tills interview from this morning. At one point they discussed Bubba. Seems he was injured after his freshman year and it seemed to have a lingering impact.

https://glennclarkradio.com/2022/05/31/ ... last-year/
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:59 pm Let's take a guess just based off the guys on the roster now, no transfers

Could definitely see this. Think Sherrer at LSM will be back. Think he might have hurt his shoulder, and that's why he wasn't in yesterday or Saturday.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:39 pm

Could definitely see this. Think Sherrer at LSM will be back. Think he might have hurt his shoulder, and that's why he wasn't in yesterday or Saturday.
I wasn't sure about Sherrer bc of the injury, that's why I slid McDonald in because he was the guy who came in when they had to switch Geppert to SSDM against Princeton. But yes, he was a real solid player in '21 and if he can get healthy will be nice depth.1
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Under Armour All-America Lacrosse Game on July 30 at Johns Hopkins
AJ Larkin (D)
Aidan Aitken (M)
Will Schaller (D)
Brian Ruppel (G)
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Schaller run some LSM for us next year. He’s got next level stick and quicks. Larkin is a beast but he doesn’t seem as fast as Schaller.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Figured Dolan was going to be McNaney’s back-up, since he’s transferring in. Anyone know much about Aitken?

Also, any word on Trader?
Terps22

Post by Terps22 »

Is Bobby Benson returning as our offensive coordinator? Hearing rumors he very well could be headed to Providence. Hoping it's not true, but he's one hell of a coach and shouldn't surprise anyone. He has been the best OC on the Terps staff since the Tillman era began.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I would expect Ruppel to red-shirt. McNaney was red-shirting in ‘20 when Tills put him in as the starter.

Aitken’s last two games are on ESPN app in the National High Schools championship. He plays for Salisbury and #1 and also on the team is incoming recruit Trace Davidson #33.

Here is highlight to one of his games.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cd0k3mEl ... MyMTA2M2Y=
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:13 pm Figured Dolan was going to be McNaney’s back-up, since he’s transferring in. Anyone know much about Aitken?

I forgot about Dolan. Yes, he'll be back-up
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:58 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:13 pm Figured Dolan was going to be McNaney’s back-up, since he’s transferring in. Anyone know much about Aitken?

I forgot about Dolan. Yes, he'll be back-up
Looks like Trader will be playing lacrosse next spring.

https://twitter.com/kevbrown89/status/1 ... 3108EqAAAA

Trader retweeted this tweet.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I hope he does. Not being with the team for fallball will always preclude him from fulfilling his full lacrosse potential which is unfortunate because I think he has the potential to be one of the great two-way players in recent memory but just having him as a wing face-off guy and shortie who's an auto clear, plays good D, and pushes transition is a weapon

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”