Yale 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax3

Yale 2023

Post by Lax3 »

Okay, Eli fans, let's get to next year! Thoughts on next year's team?
joewillie78

Re: Yale 2023

Post by joewillie78 »

Young team that is loaded that gained valuable game experience this year. Easily a Top 5 team and serious National Championship contender.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:37 pm Young team that is loaded that gained valuable game experience this year. Easily a Top 5 team and serious National Championship contender.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
A lot of young teams in the Ivy League.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

To my thinking this year's Bulldogs peaked mid-season at the end of their four game Princetom, Penn, BU, Dartmouth winning streak. Though they had some good moments following, including their 14-11 first round ILT win over Cornell, from the Brown game on they often exhibited a lack of consistency in execution on both offense and defense which caught up to them against Princeton in the NCAA tourney. Most of the lack of consistency I ascribe to the team's reliance on players who were either first-years or virtually untested sophomores with little or no game experience. This inexperience manifested itself most glaringly in the teams inability to cover and slide effectively in the middle of the field, but also at the offensive end when adjustments were slow in coming when what was generally a very high powered offense stumbled a bit. As far as 2023 is concerned I think most of the offensive issues will take care of themselves. To my mind, now having a year under their belts playing together, there are enough elite offensive pieces already in place that I imagine the 2023 Bulldogs are likely to be an offensive juggernaut (I'll save my individual evaluations for a later post). I do think adding or developing a strong alley dodger to the mix would be a plus, though I will add that I think there are a couple of players already on the team who might fill that role effectively.

The issues at the defensive end for the Bulldogs in 2023 appear a bit thornier. To begin with they lose their toughest and most effective cover defender in 3 time AA Chris Fake. For years Yale and Shay have hung their hats on not only out hustling but also out toughing their opponents. Not so much this year. The inability of the Bulldogs to bang into opponents open in front of the cage (or even get a stick on a stick) was a constant and recurring problem. Yale was fortunate to have Paquette, their best shot stopping goalie that I have seen in years, guarding the nets, but leaving men open and untouched at close range is hardly a recipe for success. I'm sure this deficiency as well as more effective slides are areas that Shay and staff will focus on in the upcoming 8 months,but the Elis could certainly use someone to step up and set the tone in that area given the departure of Fake.

One last point before I sign off is that for most of the past few years Yale has had a definite advantage in groundballs and possessions as a result of superior FOGO play. Again this year not so much, thought the foursome of Ramsey, Ball, Rodriquez and Neuman were able to finish the season a bit above 50%. I would imagine that a year of experience and a fall and winter of competing against each other should enable the returning threesome minus Neuman to improve meaningfully, which could well improve Yale's 2023 prospects significantly. On that note I'll leave off and let others chime in.
random observer

Post by random observer »

calourie wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:17 pm To my thinking this year's Bulldogs peaked mid-season at the end of their four game Princetom, Penn, BU, Dartmouth winning streak. Though they had some good moments following, including their 14-11 first round ILT win over Cornell, from the Brown game on they often exhibited a lack of consistency in execution on both offense and defense which caught up to them against Princeton in the NCAA tourney. Most of the lack of consistency I ascribe to the team's reliance on players who were either first-years or virtually untested sophomores with little or no game experience. This inexperience manifested itself most glaringly in the teams inability to cover and slide effectively in the middle of the field, but also at the offensive end when adjustments were slow in coming when what was generally a very high powered offense stumbled a bit. As far as 2023 is concerned I think most of the offensive issues will take care of themselves. To my mind, now having a year under their belts playing together, there are enough elite offensive pieces already in place that I imagine the 2023 Bulldogs are likely to be an offensive juggernaut (I'll save my individual evaluations for a later post). I do think adding or developing a strong alley dodger to the mix would be a plus, though I will add that I think there are a couple of players already on the team who might fill that role effectively.

The issues at the defensive end for the Bulldogs in 2023 appear a bit thornier. To begin with they lose their toughest and most effective cover defender in 3 time AA Chris Fake. For years Yale and Shay have hung their hats on not only out hustling but also out toughing their opponents. Not so much this year. The inability of the Bulldogs to bang into opponents open in front of the cage (or even get a stick on a stick) was a constant and recurring problem. Yale was fortunate to have Paquette, their best shot stopping goalie that I have seen in years, guarding the nets, but leaving men open and untouched at close range is hardly a recipe for success. I'm sure this deficiency as well as more effective slides are areas that Shay and staff will focus on in the upcoming 8 months,but the Elis could certainly use someone to step up and set the tone in that area given the departure of Fake.

One last point before I sign off is that for most of the past few years Yale has had a definite advantage in groundballs and possessions as a result of superior FOGO play. Again this year not so much, thought the foursome of Ramsey, Ball, Rodriquez and Neuman were able to finish the season a bit above 50%. I would imagine that a year of experience and a fall and winter of competing against each other should enable the returning threesome minus Neuman to improve meaningfully, which could well improve Yale's 2023 prospects significantly. On that note I'll leave off and let others chime in.
The defensive issues seemed more based on communication issues than a lack of talent, but one piece of good news to mitigate the loss of Fake is that Yale brings in two terrific defensive prospects. Patrick Pisano was Nassau Defensive POY as a junior at CSH, and seems a good bet to repeat this year.

Konrad Miklaszewski is another guy who should have a bright future. A big strong athlete with impeccable footwork. Check out the below video of him covering IL #1 junior McCabe Millon and putting the clamps on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLg4iL9V8Mo
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Thanks calourie – great write up. A few thoughts from my perspective, many of which repeat earlier posts:

• Completely agree on the defense. I have to believe that Shay is not a happy camper with the lack of progress defensively during the course of the season and for the lack of toughness by the defensemen. The number of times that opposing attackmen – and more often middies – just went right to goal without being touched was astonishing for a team that has historically been built on toughness. Hard to believe but Yale gave up an average of 15 goals per game over the last eight games! Ready for a really bad contrast? The year they won the title they have up just over 9 goals per game over their last eight. Yikes. Lots of work to be done.
• Attack should be lethal next year. Give the two frosh an off-season in the weight room and the fourth year presence of Brandau … this group will be excellent.
• At midfield, they lose Tevlin but pick up the kid from Lawrenceville who many believe will step into the starting lineup offensively from the get-go. Give the younger guys another year in the weight room and another year of experience and I think this group improves.
• One of their core weaknesses was at d-middie – I don’t have an answer for how to fix this. The d-middies other than Tevlin were very weak, allowing opposing midfields to score far too often. Have to believe this will be a core focus over the off-season.
• At FOGO, it seemed that they took a big step in the first half of the season then plateaued or even got worse as the season progressed. My guess is that this is wide open for next year.

To your overall point, this team seemed to flat line a bit in the second half of the season. I had hoped for improvement in the way that Shay teams always play their best at the end, but I will generously attribute it to first year players hitting the wall. I can see no other tangible reason why they would not have improved over the season. But I remain very, very optimistic for the future of this program. In an off year the team makes it to the Final Eight and the Ivy League final? That is a damn good thing!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

As noted in previous comments, there is a lot of talent returning, especially young talent. Right now, I'll focus on strength and conditioning. Early in the 2022 season, in an online article, one of the ESPN talking heads (QAC) said that Yale's regimen might be too focused on strength (weight-lifting) and not enough on agility. As much as I hate to say that QAC might have been right about something, I do think there might be a kernel of truth there. Thanks to a generous gift, the team enjoys the new Tsai Fieldhouse. I haven't been inside the new facility, but in pictures and commentary, weights have been a focus. I'm all for weight lifting, but I wonder if there has been enough emphasis on overall stamina and conditioning via things like old-fashioned running. In the quarterfinals against Princeton, the Elis seemed to wilt in the 80+ degree temperature. In the final between Maryland and Cornell, stamina (or lack thereof) on a hot & humid day appeared to be a factor. Hopefully the 2023 edition of Yale will be in prime physical condition to make a run deep into May.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:36 am As noted in previous comments, there is a lot of talent returning, especially young talent. Right now, I'll focus on strength and conditioning. Early in the 2022 season, in an online article, one of the ESPN talking heads (QAC) said that Yale's regimen might be too focused on strength (weight-lifting) and not enough on agility. As much as I hate to say that QAC might have been right about something, I do think there might be a kernel of truth there. Thanks to a generous gift, the team enjoys the new Tsai Fieldhouse. I haven't been inside the new facility, but in pictures and commentary, weights have been a focus. I'm all for weight lifting, but I wonder if there has been enough emphasis on overall stamina and conditioning via things like old-fashioned running. In the quarterfinals against Princeton, the Elis seemed to wilt in the 80+ degree temperature. In the final between Maryland and Cornell, stamina (or lack thereof) on a hot & humid day appeared to be a factor. Hopefully the 2023 edition of Yale will be in prime physical condition to make a run deep into May.
I don’t believe coaches run players as much as they did in the 1980s. Practices included a lot of running. Stuzin ran up and back and he was gassed. (It’s not just him. It’s lots of college players). A middie in soccer runs almost constantly
calourie

Post by calourie »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:36 am As noted in previous comments, there is a lot of talent returning, especially young talent. Right now, I'll focus on strength and conditioning. Early in the 2022 season, in an online article, one of the ESPN talking heads (QAC) said that Yale's regimen might be too focused on strength (weight-lifting) and not enough on agility. As much as I hate to say that QAC might have been right about something, I do think there might be a kernel of truth there. Thanks to a generous gift, the team enjoys the new Tsai Fieldhouse. I haven't been inside the new facility, but in pictures and commentary, weights have been a focus. I'm all for weight lifting, but I wonder if there has been enough emphasis on overall stamina and conditioning via things like old-fashioned running. In the quarterfinals against Princeton, the Elis seemed to wilt in the 80+ degree temperature. In the final between Maryland and Cornell, stamina (or lack thereof) on a hot & humid day appeared to be a factor. Hopefully the 2023 edition of Yale will be in prime physical condition to make a run deep into May.
I started a number of subsequently self rejected posts in reply to this one in part because on the one hand I agree with coach Shay that this year's team exceeded expectations, and on the other I think that 2023 prospects will depend heavily on the year over year development and improvement in a number of areas on the part of a group of young, talented, one would assume highly motivated, and hopefully lacrosse savvy players who have now completed a year of playing together. If work on stamina and conditioning are what is needed I'm sure Shay and staff will take that into account. My post regarding a seeming lack of toughness is apt to be a non-factor in that Shay's recruiting calling card is an emphasis on toughness. In that area I agree with Random Observer's comment that the problem was perhaps more one of communication, to which I would add that a year of familiarity may make that an easier problem to overcome. In the long run, the measure of success next year's group attains is likely to be determined by the amount of intensity the returning players bring to off season improvement in skills and commitment to a coach and program that has proven to be able to compete at the highest level.
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:02 pm
I started a number of subsequently self rejected posts in reply to this one in part because on the one hand I agree with coach Shay that this year's team exceeded expectations, and on the other I think that 2023 prospects will depend heavily on the year over year development and improvement in a number of areas on the part of a group of young, talented, one would assume highly motivated, and hopefully lacrosse savvy players who have now completed a year of playing together. If work on stamina and conditioning are what is needed I'm sure Shay and staff will take that into account. My post regarding a seeming lack of toughness is apt to be a non-factor in that Shay's recruiting calling card is an emphasis on toughness. In that area I agree with Random Observer's comment that the problem was perhaps more one of communication, to which I would add that a year of familiarity may make that an easier problem to overcome. In the long run, the measure of success next year's group attains is likely to be determined by the amount of intensity the returning players bring to off season improvement in skills and commitment to a coach and program that has proven to be able to compete at the highest level.
Yale should be more consistent next year and team should be strong. Ivy League will be a dog fight. I am not sure if the Seniors at Cornell are really seniors or if they return next year? It’s confusing.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Yes, the league will still be a dogfight -- maybe Brown loses the most to graduation? Not sure.

In reading the excellent thoughts about this year's season, I also was reminded that this was the first full season with new top assistants for Yale (including on the defensive side of the ball after the departure of Andrew Baxter for Fairfield). So that may have played into this year's defensive issues as well -- possibly getting used to a new system etc. Overall, though, I tend to believe in "The Unified Theory of the Short Stick Midfielder" -- when Chris Fake won first team AA as a first-year I remember hoping he bought a round for Ty Warner and Jason Alessi, Yale's amazing short stick midfield combo in 2018. Elite shorties (and throw in elite face-off work by Conor Mackie to limit opponent possessions) made for a great defensive environment and Yale gave up 8.8 goals a game in 2018. In 2019, with an even more dominant FOGO but breaking in new ssdms, Yale gave up 2.5 more goals per game.

So, I'm sure the defensive side of the ball will be a point of emphasis, even while recognizing that the fun, frenetic pace of play (which I love watching) will result in higher scores by both sides, and that face-off percentage and number of possessions is key as well.

It was a great year and I look forward to watching more great Yale and Ivy league lacrosse next season -- go Bulldogs!
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:58 pm
Yale should be more consistent next year and team should be strong. Ivy League will be a dog fight. I am not sure if the Seniors at Cornell are really seniors or if they return next year? It’s confusing.
It’s confusing because some players preserved eligibility by withdrawing from school while COVID raged.
Typical Lax Dad

Ezra White wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:30 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:58 pm
It’s confusing because some players preserved eligibility by withdrawing from school while COVID raged.
I know. But the class designation didn’t change. Also not sure how withdrawal policy differs from school to school. Some require one full year off. Not a semester.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:38 am Yes, the league will still be a dogfight -- maybe Brown loses the most to graduation? Not sure.

In reading the excellent thoughts about this year's season, I also was reminded that this was the first full season with new top assistants for Yale (including on the defensive side of the ball after the departure of Andrew Baxter for Fairfield). So that may have played into this year's defensive issues as well -- possibly getting used to a new system etc. Overall, though, I tend to believe in "The Unified Theory of the Short Stick Midfielder" -- when Chris Fake won first team AA as a first-year I remember hoping he bought a round for Ty Warner and Jason Alessi, Yale's amazing short stick midfield combo in 2018. Elite shorties (and throw in elite face-off work by Conor Mackie to limit opponent possessions) made for a great defensive environment and Yale gave up 8.8 goals a game in 2018. In 2019, with an even more dominant FOGO but breaking in new ssdms, Yale gave up 2.5 more goals per game.

So, I'm sure the defensive side of the ball will be a point of emphasis, even while recognizing that the fun, frenetic pace of play (which I love watching) will result in higher scores by both sides, and that face-off percentage and number of possessions is key as well.

It was a great year and I look forward to watching more great Yale and Ivy league lacrosse next season -- go Bulldogs!
If we're going to look back to the 2018 defense, Chris Keating and his fifth-year senior leadership absolutely must be mentioned. True about Andrew Baxter, although as the statistics cited note, the 2019 defense was more porous. 2019 was the first year with a permanent shot clock; I thought then that two-way middies would make something of a comeback, and that happened in 2022 with Brian Tevlin and Patrick Hackler; this also tends to bring faster, higher-scoring games. Of course, there were also more traditional SSDMs in 2022, and going forward Shay will certainly want those to be terrific athletes with good footwork. Coordination and communication can certainly improve, but everything is easier if your defensive middies aren't getting beaten easily. On a more positive note, Paquette had a very promising year, and I thought that the 2022 defense made big stops when needed (think OT of Harvard game). Clearly though, an improved defense in 2023 must be one of Shay's prime goals.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Does Yale move on from Williams as DC? Penn State had a high profile DC that was let go after a very bad year.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:29 am Does Yale move on from Williams as DC? Penn State had a high profile DC that was let go after a very bad year.
Unless he initiates the move for a better opportunity, I highly doubt it. It was a great year overall, nobody in New Haven is looking for scapegoats. Do I think they'll be focusing on defense -- personnel and schemes -- with extra focus given that the offense is coming back pretty loaded? Yes, I do.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm
The Orfling wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:38 am Yes, the league will still be a dogfight -- maybe Brown loses the most to graduation? Not sure.

If we're going to look back to the 2018 defense, Chris Keating and his fifth-year senior leadership absolutely must be mentioned. True about Andrew Baxter, although as the statistics cited note, the 2019 defense was more porous. 2019 was the first year with a permanent shot clock; I thought then that two-way middies would make something of a comeback, and that happened in 2022 with Brian Tevlin and Patrick Hackler; this also tends to bring faster, higher-scoring games. Of course, there were also more traditional SSDMs in 2022, and going forward Shay will certainly want those to be terrific athletes with good footwork. Coordination and communication can certainly improve, but everything is easier if your defensive middies aren't getting beaten easily. On a more positive note, Paquette had a very promising year, and I thought that the 2022 defense made big stops when needed (think OT of Harvard game). Clearly though, an improved defense in 2023 must be one of Shay's prime goals.
That freshman SSDM is a player. Not sure he will play SSDM for his career but he could be a difference maker at that position.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:35 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:29 am Does Yale move on from Williams as DC? Penn State had a high profile DC that was let go after a very bad year.
Unless he initiates the move for a better opportunity, I highly doubt it. It was a great year overall, nobody in New Haven is looking for scapegoats. Do I think they'll be focusing on defense -- personnel and schemes -- with extra focus given that the offense is coming back pretty loaded? Yes, I do.
That’s good. I think he is a good young coach and would hate to see him get hear for this year.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:37 pm
FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm

That freshman SSDM is a player. Not sure he will play SSDM for his career but he could be a difference maker at that position.
Is that Cohen? He was a pole until this year so maybe he moves back?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Christian Johnson, I believe.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”