Tampa

D2 Mens Lacrosse
LaxPundit07

Tampa

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Any discussion at Tampa about their athletic program going Division 1 at any point?

Not starting a rumor. I have not heard this at all. Just bringing up as discussion because their facilities there are pretty elite. I kind of wonder if it is in the schools master plan to eventually go division one.
Laxfan00

Re: Tampa

Post by Laxfan00 »

UT lax alum here. It’s always being thrown out there. Parents would ask about it non stop on the official visits. To my knowledge there is no immediate plan to jump up. But seeing schools like Lindenwood and Queens do the same maybe they will follow suit. Could see that being the master plan of JB when he joined them.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I should have mentioned my perspective was a department wide one. Not just speculation based off mens lacrosse success. The facilities for all of their sports are top notch, their social media presence has a professional touch, etc. Just all seems first class down there.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Congrats to Tampa on their first National Championship. Not surprised coach Clarke took this talented program that couldn't put it together in May, and go undefeated and win it all in his first year. Coaching matters!
tampalax

Post by tampalax »

well said...and what an effort by Mercy
can't say much about the NCAA video feed, no time or shot clock on display
they could have borrowed the graphics from the NE10, theirs is really good
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

JB is a leader of men. Period. Nothing left for him to prove at this point in his career. He’s one of the best coaches in the country at any level. Kudos to Tampa for going out and hiring the guy that they couldn’t beat. Those guys and that locker room must be so excited. What an incredible accomplishment.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Congrats to Tampa. My son played in the SSC and I'm happy Tampa showed how good SSC lacrosse is. Great job!
Laxfan00

Post by Laxfan00 »

Unbelievable day for Tampa! What a win for them. Was at the game today. With JB at the helm anything is possible for them. What a hire.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Congrats to Tampa. I am curious what JB's first recruiting class will look like. Tampa brings back a lot of talent and with the extra covid eligibility I'd be curious if any upper classmen come back. Either way Tampa has a shot of repeat next season.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Congrats to Tampa, but I have to wonder ... What ever happened to Tumbleweedlax? Last year he came on this site (with the exuberance of a 12 year old) proclaiming that Tampa was the best ever, would go undefeated and probably win three straight championships. He got laughed out of the room then, but he may have been at least partly right.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Ubsurd
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Is now the time for Tampa to go DI?
tampalax

Post by tampalax »

that's a tough call, nearest DI tam is Jacksonville and then North from there
Queens and Lindenwood made more sense ( at least geographically)
I certainly don't have any insider info, but what would be the motivation ?
They're in a conference where everyone loves to hate each other ( a good thing)
and young men from Canada and all over the U.S. excited about playing year round
in FL for either TPA, FSC. Rollins,FT and for that matter the rest of the conference
Merrimack had some really impressive teams in D2, now they struggle to be average
Hope it's not being considered
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

A move to D1 would be a department wide move and part of a comprehensive institutional plan. Those types of decisions are often made well in advance of the announcement. A national championship in one sport would not independently spark a department wide divisional move. I had brought up moving to D1 in an earlier post based on the quality of facilities department wide, social media and web presence, etc. All of those things, to me, piqued my curiosity about a potential campus wide master plan to move the department up to Division 1. Again, a move like that is made over years and has a comprehensive institutional plan for the move. Facilities, personnel, scholarships, academic support, boosters, investment in football or mens basketball, etc
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Canyon Birch (A), inbound transfer from Penn State, per D1 board and player's IG bio. PSU bio: https://gopsusports.com/sports/mens-lac ... irch/11691
dont ball watch

Post by dont ball watch »

JustPassingThrough wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:48 am Canyon Birch (A), inbound transfer from Penn State, per D1 board and player's IG bio. PSU bio: https://gopsusports.com/sports/mens-lac ... irch/11691
They're also getting Grad Transfer TC Cannon (M) from VMI.
https://wschronicle.com/area-lacrosse-p ... er-at-vmi/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd1cEWlOvq0/
Samlaxfan

Post by Samlaxfan »

JB might have learned a few things from watching how the transfer portal has helped Maryland, Rutgers and Gtown to just name a quick few.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Samlaxfan wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:47 pm JB might have learned a few things from watching how the transfer portal has helped Maryland, Rutgers and Gtown to just name a quick few.
Tampa has been notorious for getting transfers (especially D1) going back to the days of Whipple and Burdick, yet they always seemed to come up short for some reason. Even during his Limestone days, JB has been great at getting the most out of the talent he has on the roster and was able to get some impactful transfers as well.

Tampa was 7-0 this past year in games decided by 3 goals or less. In 2019 they were 3-4 in games decided by 3 goals or less and had their season ended by JB and the Saints.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”