Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy Lacrosse 2019

Post by old salt »

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Nice to see Towson back on the schedule...even if its only fall ball.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

A solid Fall Ball schedule but the ongoing question really boiled down to what really changes the direction and trajectory of this Program out of its current state of floundering mediocracy .

The NAPS site is now showing a Head Coach ENS JAY RAY and MAJOR Andrew Koch USMC has the assistant coach. Koch is also the NAPS XO who attended University of Colorado . Any intel on ENS RAY where he played and where was he prior to Newport.

See you all at the 1st fall ball game. Tailgater will be in the same spot across from the Blue Angel.

GO NAVY - Beat Everyone

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If you tailgated at the Blue Angel you had a nice long walk to RIP and missed most of the game. ;)

Come on T, you should be able to figure out who ENS Jay Ray is, especially since you know so much about what is going on with all things Navy Lacrosse.

And here is your question:Image
This young man recently graduated from the USNA in 2018 and was a key contributer on the mens lacrosse team. (Press the play button on the video and) Guoood luck... ;)

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

I tried to hook up the Blue Angel Hornet & tow it to Rip Miller, but I couldn't get the wheels down.
It was a fun Rip Miller afternoon nonetheless, as a Navy split squad had a good day vs visiting Waseda U from Japan.

By my headcount, Navy dressed 32 players & 21 more manned the sideline in gym gear.
I'm guessing the Coaches dressed the likely "regulars" who were 100% healthy & the plebes they wanted to see asap in game conditions.
With 2 more doubleheader fall play dates & a "JV" scrimmage vs NAPS, they may be splitting the roster to even out playdate appearances for ncaa accounting purposes.
Based on last year's roster numbers, I was surprised to not see 41 McKenna, 25 Darden & 12 Smiley in uniform.
The good news, I didn't see any of the gym gear sideboys wearing a cast, boot, wrap or sling, so maybe they're just dinged.

Here's who I saw play. Anyone who can fill in the names for the ??? plebes or jersey number changes, plz post or PM & I'll edit in the changes :
A : 17 Daniel, 8 Wade, 7 Walsh 21 Cole* 44 Koucky, 32 Sweeney*
O-MF : 6 Torain, 30 Burgoyne, 66 deLyra, 31 Salcedo, 37 Chase*, 11 Spilker, 5 Mandish, 15 Martin.
FO : 45 ???*, 4 ???*, 63 ???*
D-MF : 18 Griffin, 64 Kopf, 16 Alexander, 9 ???*
LSM : 60 Jordan*. 47 Mandish, 19 King
D : 39 Franchuk, 43 Miller, 33 Allen, 35 Evans, 28 ???*, 2 Rubino*
G : 24 Kern, 20 Rees

* Helpful locator for Plebes/Napsters & their HS

6 Torain & 8 Wade started, asserted themselves early & relinquished their p.t. to the rest of the O-guys.
18 Griffin was first man in as a ssdm, then relinquished his p.t. & donned an ice pack.
3 new jersey #'s as FOGO's, I'm guessing they're the 3 plebe FO recruits. All split time, won some, lost some.
D-middies looked good. 64 Kopf stepped up to fill grad holes & 16 Alexander looks promising in this new role.
In goal, 24 Kern played Q1, 20 Rees the rest of the way. Both solid, no head standing necessary.
No problems with the shot clock. The Mids generated good looks at will & most shots went in.
The Mids dominated, but the visitors were game & made some nice plays.
Encouraging start. How's T gonna get the BlueAngel Hornet to Rutgers & BL ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Naps in town this week for fallball --

Thurs 7pm vs CCBC Essex
Fri TBA vs Navy underclassmen

Anybody know the time for Fri's game scrimmage ?
I'm assuming the games are on the Yard ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Came across this quick article today while searching social media on this past weekends scrimmages with Rutgers and UMass. INSIDE LACROSSE GAME COVERAGE
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

From Sat scrimmages vs Towson & St Joe's :
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oe-s/53197

It’s hard to take your eye off Navy’s Grayson Torain when he’s on the field, which is often. He played wing, offense and defense Saturday, and continued to stand out as the Midshipmen’s top initiator. The entire ball movement on offense was impressive though. Attackmen Ryan Wade and Patrick Walsh, and sophomore Christopher Daniel all moved well and seemed to record points. This was Navy’s second big scrimmage of the fall, after playing at Rutgers earlier in October.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

old salt wrote:From Sat scrimmages vs Towson & St Joe's :
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oe-s/53197

It’s hard to take your eye off Navy’s Grayson Torain when he’s on the field, which is often. He played wing, offense and defense Saturday, and continued to stand out as the Midshipmen’s top initiator. The entire ball movement on offense was impressive though. Attackmen Ryan Wade and Patrick Walsh, and sophomore Christopher Daniel all moved well and seemed to record points. This was Navy’s second big scrimmage of the fall, after playing at Rutgers earlier in October.
Nice to see this Randy . I noticed that Grayson was much thicker and had added a little more muscle weigh when he and i got to speak this week at the memorial service for "O" REP Bill Dawson . a splendid service indeed for an amazing man ang6 !

Question for the group - I understand this spring will mark the 100th anniversary of our beloved Navy/Army Game in Annapolis . Hearing UA and our amazing equipment folks are going to have the mother of all throw back Swag and Helmets . Anymore details , are there Alumni and FONL Parties planned , the long overdue Meade welcoming home proper celebration 3:) -- Heard some amazing ideas

Details ??

FORE

"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Gonna reserve judgement until later but I sure as heck hope the goal was just to see players in a certain positions. In the IL article Old Salt posted, the writer got 2 of the 4 Navy names wrong. :?

I also hear the uni's/helmets are gonna be fire. I overheard what they are but will not reveal...well, just because its the right thing to do.

Got a sneak peak of the schedule this weekend, a couple head-scratchers, but again, the goal is to win the PL and if you cannot win that, you are essentially hanging by a thread anyway.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Tecumseh wrote: I noticed that Grayson was much thicker and had added a little more muscle weight...
That was the exact same thought I had on Fri, when I noticed him on the sideline, before the Naps-JV scrimmage.
He was one of the ~ 30 varsity players in gym gear. He certainly looked ready.
This year could be something special (knock on wood).
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

youthathletics wrote:

Got a sneak peak of the schedule this weekend, a couple head-scratchers, but again, the goal is to win the PL and if you cannot win that, you are essentially hanging by a thread anyway.
Truth Youth bang1 Just saw the schedule confused2 , Winning the PL is what it's all about now more than ever , So what changes ?

Fore

"T"
salty dog

Post by salty dog »

Tecumseh wrote:
youthathletics wrote:

Truth Youth bang1 Just saw the schedule confused2 , Winning the PL is what it's all about now more than ever , So what changes ?

Fore

"T"
Trick or Treat. Rickett's sense of humor check ?
Not just talkin' bout layoffs & the lost parking lot.
Hope KN & IJ get more slack than RM did.

Lehigh added UVA to their schedule.
Lookin' forward to JHU rejoining MD on Navy's schedule this year,
...whatzat, no ?
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

thatsmell wrote:Navy with a huuuuge win over Memphis today!
Big rebound win after the HI game and travel.
Just a quick post to see if this thread is DOA or just in a coma :

Thoughts on this from WAGS

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

Ahhh - to be a fly on the wall in the corner office ang10

"T"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Tecumseh wrote:Thoughts on this from WAGS https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
Based on the history of these type of discussions on the once beloved Laxpower, I would expect to hear that Coach Ken needs to go. His down hill dodge or die offense...oops wrong sport, triple option in a highly competitive league...Patriot League...oops wrong sport again...AAC, will only get you so far. This article is quite telling and as you read through it in its entirety, you will soon learn the triple option is a necessity for mainly lower tier teams with primarily <= 3 star recruits. Not to mention, you grossly limit the type of recruit you can get based on just the triple option....equally yolked with the military demands and academic rigors.

The Navy-Army game will quite telling. Army is ranked #9 in the CPI poll who also runs the triple option but they also have not really played a highly competitive schedule.

The times....they are a changin' and playing every game "not to lose" is IMO already setting yourself up for failure because you are telling the world...I have to do this just to compete with you. Cut blocks.... icon_puke ...hate them, but why do they use them so often, just to compete and "not to lose". When you recruit for certain roles in the Triple option you are simply building depth and hoping 1-2 of them pans out...just look at the roster...its dang near 120 players, not including the Sprint FB guys that could beef up and have an impact.

This parlays equally with lacrosse...if your offense is downhill dodge and die, stall ball, with handcuffs on freestyle ballz out playing....well you are going to get average as an outcome....<9 goals per game for the last 15+ years.

From the article: The option has famously helped close a talent gap at the three service academies, where recruiting is not the same as it is anywhere else. The two-year service requirement prevents those programs from promising a simple path to the NFL, and there are weight restrictions that keep the academies from bringing in behemoths. Army and Navy list a combined 10 players on their 2018 rosters at 300 pounds or heavier.

Let's hope Navy figures it all out vs Army and this Spring in lacrosse. But based on the 80 second clock and the one scrimmage I saw at Towson...looks like we will just see 1 shot around the 80 second mark instead of 1 shot around the timer on call.
~Livy
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

I don't believe anyone ever called for Coach Ken to be fired on the old Laxpower. Look at all he has done on and off the field for the betterment of the Academy and the Program .

Youth / Old Salt .. what's the ETA for the Spring MLAX Schedule to be released ?

Thoughts ?

"T"
old salt

Post by old salt »

Does Navy still field a MLax team, or is it just not mentioned until after the A-N FB extravaganza ?

The Mids on Ice are having a great season on McMullen's olympics sized pond.

I think the Malcom Perry to QB experiment was a disaster which blew up the last season & a half.

Next year the sched should get easier, but no experienced QB returning.
If there's a QB who can execute the TO & get the ball to Perry & Smith, a .500 season & minor AAC bowl in 2019 is possible.
Playing break even in the AAC is becoming more of a challenge.
I'd bet that KN & IJ get another year to right the ship.

Navy appeared to have deviated from the classic PJ TO more than Army has (they still look like GT).
I don't know if that's a permanent change, or was just done to facilitate Perry at QB.
It appears they've gone back to the basic TO with Abey & Lewis back at QB.
Will it be back to basics again, with the TO next season ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

T - my tongue in cheek comment was how everyone wanted RS fired when the team was no longer competing, so the discussion should be the same, no?

There are good things going on the yard. Navy Volleyball earned their first every NCAA bid as PL Champs. headbang1 Maybe that is also why Lacrosse things are slow to roll out?

Agree 100% about Perry, I wonder if Coach K had to make a deal with his soul to keep Perry here before he signed his 2 for 7 and it backfired? It trickled out that ZA had shoulder issues....hmmm, CYA by Navy Football?

I actually think Dalen Morris will be the qb starter, much larger frame like ZA and I believe has been #3 on the depth chart.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Perry sounded relieved to move back to slotback. I'm not sure the QB experiment was his idea.

Despite the PL changing the master sched by moving the PLT back one week, Navy - Hopkins is still not back on the sched. .:(.

The decline of Navy Lax from relevance is like a frog in a pan of water, being slowly heated to a boil.

...& the Rip Miller parking lot is now gone.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Isn't the parking lot currently nothing more than a construction staging area at this point or is the new construction eliminating the parking lot all together?
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”