All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All Things Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“MotorTrend CEO Alex Wellen said search interest for EVs has spiked because prices have come down, as well as other improvements with the vehicles. “I think our top searches are for pure EVs, then it's SUVs, and then it's hybrids across all of our searches on MotorTrend.com.“”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Maryland pumps the brakes and 'puts on hold" the BEPS standards:

https://www.greenbuildinglawupdate.com/ ... -maryland/

On Monday, January 29, 2024, the Maryland legislature’s Joint Committee on Administrative, Executive, and Legislative Review (AELR) put a “hold” on the proposed regulations to create the Maryland Building Energy Performance Standards (BEPS) as required by the Climate Solutions Now Act of 2022....

...As we described in another of our earlier blog posts, the regulations were characterized by a Maryland business owner as looking like a misguided kamikaze run...
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:19 pm
“MotorTrend CEO Alex Wellen said search interest for EVs has spiked because prices have come down, as well as other improvements with the vehicles. “I think our top searches are for pure EVs, then it's SUVs, and then it's hybrids across all of our searches on MotorTrend.com.“”
I mean I guess but meanwhile most ev related businesses are racing a clock to stay alive. There’s one I did some work for that finances evs, can share the name it’s called Tenet Automotive (tiny maybe $20-$25mm in raised equity capital) but the secondary residual value of the component parts is so far below projections that they are toast.

It’s going to require another round of (heavy) subsidies and the winners better remember that.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:14 pm
I mean I guess but meanwhile most ev related businesses are racing a clock to stay alive. There’s one I did some work for that finances evs, can share the name it’s called Tenet Automotive (tiny maybe $20-$25mm in raised equity capital) but the secondary residual value of the component parts is so far below projections that they are toast.

It’s going to require another round of (heavy) subsidies and the winners better remember that.
This?

https://tenet.com/business/
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:14 pm

This?

https://tenet.com/business/
Yep. Small player but they’ll run out of cash soon. We’re heavily reliant on running loans through one credit union and need to price pretty tightly to capture the volume to scale with limited access to cheap
Funding.

Their model is based on a theory of harvest “incremental” value from the high tech components and raw materials in excess of standard vehicles.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

I guess paraquat pot wasn’t the real issue.

“The US Environmental Protection Agency is doubling down on its controversial finding that a toxic herbicide is safe for use across millions of acres of American cropland, despite what public health advocates characterize as virtual “scientific proof” the product causes Parkinson’s disease.

The agency in 2021 reapproved paraquat-based herbicides for use, but a coalition of agricultural and public health groups sued, charging that the EPA had ignored broad scientific consensus linking the substance to Parkinson’s.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... parkinsons
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

More government overreach?

Everyone knows PFOA and PFOS make you immortal, right?

“The findings also show 60 million people are exposed to PFOA and PFOS, two of the most dangerous PFAS compounds, at levels above the EPA’s proposed limits. Once the limits are made law, utilities will be required to install technology, such as granular activated carbon or reverse osmosis systems, that will remove most PFAS.

The federal government has made billions of dollars available for utilities to install the systems and ease the burden on ratepayers, and chemical companies that produce PFAS have so far been court ordered to pay about $14bn toward new systems.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -water-tap
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

So Kathy Hochul, the esteemed governor of the peoples Republic of NYS is demanding that her subjects give up their gas stoves in order to save the planet. Amazing thing about you environmental fruit loops. Y'all want to dictate what kind of cars people can drive, what kind of fuel we can heat our houses with, what kind of stove we can bake cookies in while at the same time warning about the fascists that want to run our lives.... ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:49 pm So Kathy Hochul, the esteemed governor of the peoples Republic of NYS is demanding that her subjects give up their gas stoves in order to save the planet. Amazing thing about you environmental fruit loops. Y'all want to dictate what kind of cars people can drive, what kind of fuel we can heat our houses with, what kind of stove we can bake cookies in while at the same time warning about the fascists that want to run our lives.... ;)
We should really go back to leaded gasoline, asbestos in everything and CFC rerigerants. #FightTheFascists
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:17 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:49 pm So Kathy Hochul, the esteemed governor of the peoples Republic of NYS is demanding that her subjects give up their gas stoves in order to save the planet. Amazing thing about you environmental fruit loops. Y'all want to dictate what kind of cars people can drive, what kind of fuel we can heat our houses with, what kind of stove we can bake cookies in while at the same time warning about the fascists that want to run our lives.... ;)
We should really go back to leaded gasoline, asbestos in everything and CFC rerigerants. #FightTheFascists
I use to pump gas at my brothers ARCO station back in 1979 before I joined the army. Those old folks would show up in droves to fill their tanks with ARCO supreme. Those big ole boats loved that high octane duel. Asbestos was normally installed where high temperatures came in to play. When I was an AG on the M60 machine gun part of our kit bag included an asbestos glove to help change out the barrel. Do you have any idea how hot that barrel gets after a couple hundred rounds? Don't even get me started on refrigerants. R12 and R22 did a magnificent job for many many years. Here is some knowledge for you. In a sealed refrigeration system that compressor can run for years without ever leaking. When reclaiming that refrigerant you cut into the lines and vacuum pump that refrigerant into a storage vessel. If done properly hardly any CFC refrigerant is ever vented into the atmosphere. Now some old school service techs would puncture the evaporator coils with an ice pick. Speeds up the process of evacuating a refrigerant system big time.
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:38 pm I use to pump gas at my brothers ARCO station back in 1979 before I joined the army. Those old folks would show up in droves to fill their tanks with ARCO supreme. Those big ole boats loved that high octane duel. Asbestos was normally installed where high temperatures came in to play. When I was an AG on the M60 machine gun part of our kit bag included an asbestos glove to help change out the barrel. Do you have any idea how hot that barrel gets after a couple hundred rounds? Don't even get me started on refrigerants. R12 and R22 did a magnificent job for many many years. Here is some knowledge for you. In a sealed refrigeration system that compressor can run for years without ever leaking. When reclaiming that refrigerant you cut into the lines and vacuum pump that refrigerant into a storage vessel. If done properly hardly any CFC refrigerant is ever vented into the atmosphere. Now some old school service techs would puncture the evaporator coils with an ice pick. Speeds up the process of evacuating a refrigerant system big time.
Exactly! That stuff never hurt people or the environment. Bring them back. Grunts are now burning their hands on hot barrels! #FightTheFascists!
NattyBohChamps04

Also, not so fun-fact. The dude who came up with leaded gasoline also came up with R-12 freon.

https://www.history.com/news/cfcs-leade ... as-midgley
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:00 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:38 pm I use to pump gas at my brothers ARCO station back in 1979 before I joined the army. Those old folks would show up in droves to fill their tanks with ARCO supreme. Those big ole boats loved that high octane duel. Asbestos was normally installed where high temperatures came in to play. When I was an AG on the M60 machine gun part of our kit bag included an asbestos glove to help change out the barrel. Do you have any idea how hot that barrel gets after a couple hundred rounds? Don't even get me started on refrigerants. R12 and R22 did a magnificent job for many many years. Here is some knowledge for you. In a sealed refrigeration system that compressor can run for years without ever leaking. When reclaiming that refrigerant you cut into the lines and vacuum pump that refrigerant into a storage vessel. If done properly hardly any CFC refrigerant is ever vented into the atmosphere. Now some old school service techs would puncture the evaporator coils with an ice pick. Speeds up the process of evacuating a refrigerant system big time.
Exactly! That stuff never hurt people or the environment. Bring them back. Grunts are now burning their hands on hot barrels! #FightTheFascists!
I don't believe the M60 is in service with dogfaces anymore. I know that when you crank out 500 rounds of sustained 6 to 9 round bursts that mother effing barrel was hot...hot....hot....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:18 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:00 pm
I don't believe the M60 is in service with dogfaces anymore. I know that when you crank out 500 rounds of sustained 6 to 9 round bursts that mother effing barrel was hot...hot....hot....
I prefered using a hose in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a wet rag over the top. #de_minimis
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:18 pm I don't believe the M60 is in service with dogfaces anymore. I know that when you crank out 500 rounds of sustained 6 to 9 round bursts that mother effing barrel was hot...hot....hot....
Imagine if they made a crew serviced gun by the early 80's where someone could replace the barrel in 4-5 seconds without an easily misplaced glove.

You know there were multiple options to replace the M60 barrel without an easily lost asbestos glove too, right? Sorry, not sorry.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:18 pm I don't believe the M60 is in service with dogfaces anymore. I know that when you crank out 500 rounds of sustained 6 to 9 round bursts that mother effing barrel was hot...hot....hot....
Imagine if they made a crew serviced gun by the early 80's where someone could replace the barrel in 4-5 seconds without an easily misplaced glove.

You know there were multiple options to replace the M60 barrel without an easily lost asbestos glove too, right? Sorry, not sorry.
Hard to lose that glove. It was kept all safe and sound inside the kit bag along with the spare barrel. The only time it came out is when you had to change out barrels. There were not a lot of options available when your doing a live fire exercise out in the boonies. Our superior training on the pig didn't allow for stupid mistakes.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

"The exceptional warmth that first enveloped the planet last summer is continuing strong into 2024: Last month clocked in as the hottest January ever measured, the European Union climate monitor announced on Thursday.

It was the hottest January on record for the oceans, too, according to the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service. Sea surface temperatures were just slightly lower than in August 2023, the oceans’ warmest month on the books. And sea temperatures kept on climbing in the first few days of February, surpassing the daily records set last August.

The oceans absorb the great majority of the extra heat that greenhouse gases in the atmosphere trap near Earth’s surface, making them a reliable gauge of how much and how quickly we are warming the planet. Warmer oceans provide more fuel for hurricanes and atmospheric river storms and can disrupt marine life."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/07/clim ... pe=Article

And an idea I really like.

"Here is a proposal for the environmental movement: Pool philanthropic funds for a day, buy a small plot of land in Washington, D.C., and put up a tall marble wall to serve as a climate memorial. Carve on this memorial the names of public figures actively denying the existence of climate change. Carve the names so deep and large, our grandchildren and great-grandchildren need not search the archives."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/23/opin ... orial.html
NattyBohChamps04

A traditional automaker just turned a profit on EVs

Lot of up front investment eating into profitability in that market. Took Tesla 16 years to become profitable.

Return to “POLITICS”