All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote:Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men, Men, men, MEN, men,

Wouldn't call the STEM world full of nerds. Would call it full of MEN. Harvards old President, an Obama cabinet member, didn't think housewives belonged in the STEM field. What is wrong with the Ivy leagues?

Woods Hole part of the WCWFO economic system? Nah....they only got $116 MILLION from the welfare troughs. Almost $3 million for investment management fees, but "only" $6 million investment income. Gee, TLD, you collecting the management fees for this MENS club? Sure, some woman. Zero blacks.

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pd ... 12_990.pdf

I don't care about the politics..... the beer was good.......and the nerds were fun.

EBIT: Thanks for the article on Boston.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

cradleandshoot wrote:Neither am I, because there is not a dog gone thing anyone can do to stop what will happen. I am not against cleaning up our planet and finding better sources of energy. No matter how you look at it oil and gas are not going away anytime soon and the consumption of those fuels world wide is only going to increase. I just don't buy into the fact that the consumption of these fuel sources is killing the planet. I know that is not a popular opinion in the country today but the way I look at it the planet put these resources there to begin with. If you want to take a very exaggerated and cynical approach we could blame the problem on the earth for making these resources available to begin with. confused3
hey come on the oil and gas industry is just another fine example of the market serving the greater good - all that oil in the ground is an environmental hazard - the oil companies are conducting very advanced environmental remediation.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I’m not a scientist, but I live with one doing cancer research that often puts in 6 or 7 days a week in her lab. Her dad was a medical doctor, mom a chemist, sister a chemist, niece a geologist, etc. Here is a link to a published paper written by her daughter, a PhD in chemistry doing post-doctorate work at a public university. Eventually she’ll either be working for a pharma or university.

I can’t even read it without my eyes rolling up in my head. I am not a scientist, but I’m certain scientist put in a great deal of hard work in their research. If scientists have concerns about the direction of the world climate then I’m on board with their conclusions. I present this as an example of the work being done by scientists everyday.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/09/19/1811059115
Typical Lax Dad

ardilla secreta wrote:I’m not a scientist, but I live with one doing cancer research that often puts in 6 or 7 days a week in her lab. Her dad was a medical doctor, mom a chemist, sister a chemist, niece a geologist, etc. Here is a link to a published paper written by her daughter, a PhD in chemistry doing post-doctorate work at a public university. Eventually she’ll either be working for a pharma or university.

I can’t even read it without my eyes rolling up in my head. I am not a scientist, but I’m certain scientist put in a great deal of hard work in their research. If scientists have concerns about the direction of the world climate then I’m on board with their conclusions. I present this as an example of the work being done by scientists everyday.

Your perspective is similar to mine. I am sure there are frauds in the scientific community (we all saw the Fugitive!), but that is true of anything..... lets see who stops investing in the stock market because of fraud. Anyone own Theranos? Thanks for the link. I took the time to read it. Did not understand all of it but I did some of it. I have learned through osmosis.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

HooDat wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:Neither am I, because there is not a dog gone thing anyone can do to stop what will happen. I am not against cleaning up our planet and finding better sources of energy. No matter how you look at it oil and gas are not going away anytime soon and the consumption of those fuels world wide is only going to increase. I just don't buy into the fact that the consumption of these fuel sources is killing the planet. I know that is not a popular opinion in the country today but the way I look at it the planet put these resources there to begin with. If you want to take a very exaggerated and cynical approach we could blame the problem on the earth for making these resources available to begin with. confused3
hey come on the oil and gas industry is just another fine example of the market serving the greater good - all that oil in the ground is an environmental hazard - the oil companies are conducting very advanced environmental remediation.
You may be the only person on this forum who understood the sarcasm from which I spoke... ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ardilla secreta wrote:I’m not a scientist, but I live with one doing cancer research that often puts in 6 or 7 days a week in her lab. Her dad was a medical doctor, mom a chemist, sister a chemist, niece a geologist, etc. Here is a link to a published paper written by her daughter, a PhD in chemistry doing post-doctorate work at a public university. Eventually she’ll either be working for a pharma or university.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xffrer
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

And riding a roller coaster can eliminate kidney stones. A fact.

remembered this b/c a related article (same researchers) and protein vibrations, yada yada.

The scientists your describe, mostly, keep to themselves and maintain a nice cottage industry. Climate science is no different. Don't hear of taxes levied on Tsase and enzyme interactions. Is there a capNtrade system in place? Jump on it TLD, create the need.

I noticed NO ONE has disputed the NOAA buoy readings and the claim that the GUlf of Mexico's water temp is way higherer, and that's why Michael got so much energy. Show of hands, and yes, the inane comments of don't let the door hit you on the way out, but am I on mostly everyones ignore list? Or, do you feel you can't debate the science that is NOAA data?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:

And riding a roller coaster can eliminate kidney stones. A fact.

remembered this b/c a related article (same researchers) and protein vibrations, yada yada.

The scientists your describe, mostly, keep to themselves and maintain a nice cottage industry. Climate science is no different. Don't hear of taxes levied on Tsase and enzyme interactions. Is there a capNtrade system in place? Jump on it TLD, create the need.

I noticed NO ONE has disputed the NOAA buoy readings and the claim that the GUlf of Mexico's water temp is way higherer, and that's why Michael got so much energy. Show of hands, and yes, the inane comments of don't let the door hit you on the way out, but am I on mostly everyones ignore list? Or, do you feel you can't debate the science that is NOAA data?
Maybe this will make you nervous!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

If only the boring, unfunny Borowicz could ever write something as humorous as this article.

Yeah, the "better-beer" barely needs to be babied, but the barley for pigs can grow anywhere and everywhere.

Sure monsanto will cover climate change proof seeds.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:If only the boring, unfunny Borowicz could ever write something as humorous as this article.

Yeah, the "better-beer" barely needs to be babied, but the barley for pigs can grow anywhere and everywhere.

Sure monsanto will cover climate change proof seeds.
Funny article. Anyway, watching a program on gamma ray burst while waiting for MNF. Smart people. Science doesn't always operate in a straight line......
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Typical Lax Dad

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

But why is it a big problem?

By todays FEMA flood maps, most of the SE section of Wash. DC is IN that flood zone. Yet, lots of cranes and construction in that area. Same for Boston & Miami. So much value for waterfront property.

With even a 5 degree average/annual temp. increase, oranges would still not be able to survive the DelMaVa . Would they?

Oh, right, polar ice melt will raise oceans. And yet, they are already building in 2018's flood zones. Expensive real estate too.

So, again, what's the problem? For a bunch of smart guys, no one ever has an answer. And please, enough of the trolling link bombs. Any thoughts of your own?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote:Image

You don't get it. tRump has INCREASED the $cientific welfare trough, not reduced it. A FACT. That includes the idiots who got NSF millions to tell us beer barley would go up b/c of climate global change of warming in that idiotic "report" cited above. (note, no actual LINK to the report )

Record HIGHS in Denver. brrrrr.. No drought in New England. Guess what? What? How do scientists describe the CLIMATE for the 29 palms, CA area? Just wondering. Subterrarnium continental? artic tundra? No, and no? So, what climate is 29 palms, CA changing too? The climate, not some idiotic link to artic ice cap melt.

Love the Pew poll. :roll: :roll: The vast majority of US citizens do NOT belong to a party. Yet, they don't rate to be asked.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

While Winter came early here to Lake Wobegone, I'd much rather deal with the cold than with all that crude in Florida.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Oh please, this is lame. I provided a direct link to NOAA buoys and proof that water temps haven't changed one bit in the history of the earth. (since 1996) Everything in this link is a lie. And I can prove it.

To start with, NOAA buoys haven't even been collecting data for 50 years. About a third of the earths existence. You're missing almost 70% of the earths timeline data.

Also this is a LIE:

Warmer water fuels hurricanes, and not surprisingly, the average number of major hurricanes — those Category 3 or higher — has increased in the Atlantic basin since the 1970s

Go ahead, prove that it's not. go ahead. Or, back to the "I don't care" lame o excuse
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Ahh, since you won't take my word for it:

https://www.wunderground.com/education/webster.asp

Some excerpts:

The satellite tools and forecaster training in the tropical cyclone regions of the Indian Ocean and Southern Hemisphere during the 1975-1989 period was not adequate for the task of objectively distinguishing Category 4-5 hurricanes from Category 3 hurricanes or to always be able to confidently distinguish Category 4-5 hurricanes from Category 1-2 hurricanes." Dr. Gray does not provide any details about how how this lack of training could have led to a systematic error in classifying too few storms at Category 4 and 5 intensity.

Thus, comparison of 1950-1964 with 1990-2004 in the Atlantic is poor. One should make the comparison between data from the 11 years from the most recent warm phase of the AMO (1995-2005), and the previous warm AMO period we have good data for (1944-1969). This comparison shows that Category 4 and 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic have increased by 60% in the past 11 years compared to the previous active period 1944-1969.

Dr. Bill Gray of Colorado State University, who is famous for his successful long-range hurricane predictions and nearly 50 years of hurricane research and forecasting, submitted his critique to Science for publication, but the journal rejected it, since the document had already been published (on Dr. Gray's web site). Journals typically do not publish material that has been published elsewhere. In his abstract, Dr. Gray says: "I do not agree that global Category 4-5 tropical cyclone activity has been rising, except in the Atlantic over the last 11 years. The recent Atlantic upsurge has explanations other than global temperature rise".

Dr. Chris Landsea, Science and Operations Officer at the National Hurricane Center, chaired a standing-room only session exploring the hurricanes/global warming connection at the 2006 meeting of the American Meteorological Society (AMS). He presented a talk with additional evidence supporting Dr. Gray's position.

And all this time, thought the $cience was $ettled.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:Ahh, since you won't take my word for it:

https://www.wunderground.com/education/webster.asp

Some excerpts:

The satellite tools and forecaster training in the tropical cyclone regions of the Indian Ocean and Southern Hemisphere during the 1975-1989 period was not adequate for the task of objectively distinguishing Category 4-5 hurricanes from Category 3 hurricanes or to always be able to confidently distinguish Category 4-5 hurricanes from Category 1-2 hurricanes." Dr. Gray does not provide any details about how how this lack of training could have led to a systematic error in classifying too few storms at Category 4 and 5 intensity.

Thus, comparison of 1950-1964 with 1990-2004 in the Atlantic is poor. One should make the comparison between data from the 11 years from the most recent warm phase of the AMO (1995-2005), and the previous warm AMO period we have good data for (1944-1969). This comparison shows that Category 4 and 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic have increased by 60% in the past 11 years compared to the previous active period 1944-1969.

Dr. Bill Gray of Colorado State University, who is famous for his successful long-range hurricane predictions and nearly 50 years of hurricane research and forecasting, submitted his critique to Science for publication, but the journal rejected it, since the document had already been published (on Dr. Gray's web site). Journals typically do not publish material that has been published elsewhere. In his abstract, Dr. Gray says: "I do not agree that global Category 4-5 tropical cyclone activity has been rising, except in the Atlantic over the last 11 years. The recent Atlantic upsurge has explanations other than global temperature rise".

Dr. Chris Landsea, Science and Operations Officer at the National Hurricane Center, chaired a standing-room only session exploring the hurricanes/global warming connection at the 2006 meeting of the American Meteorological Society (AMS). He presented a talk with additional evidence supporting Dr. Gray's position.

And all this time, thought the $cience was $ettled.
Been there....BTW, nothing in that article points to climate change being a hoax. But you and I will be dead an gone by the time it really matters.....
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

And meanwhile, the western shore of the Chesapeake bay is literally dumping shiite into the nations largest estuary. Our waters remain polluted for un-needed pesticides. New Developments are being built in all the lands of make believe that require HUGH amounts of energy b/c :

1. You need a car to drive anywhere, zero public transportation
2. Idiotic bamboo flooring and other useless LEED certification, yet building codes still allow R values to remain low, not HIGH
3. Zero energy efficiancies required. No renewables required in the infrastructure.

Just google map the developments of Maryland, New Jersey, PA, VA, New York, etc. SUch a joke.

How is the Hoosantonic river cleanup going? exFRIGGINzactly. Pretends.

Return to “POLITICS”