3%
Princeton in a squeaker
13%

Total votes: 78

MoralTerpitude

Re: Princeton versus Maryland

Post by MoralTerpitude »

After rewatching the whole game, some additional thoughts:
-I think Maryland underestimated Princeton’s quickness and athleticism, at least in the first half. They adjusted to English after the break (it looked like they kept a shortie on him the whole second half, but hard to tell from the camera angle sometimes), and effectively shut him down. I think they adjusted to his first step after he ran by Rahill and Higgins. Chris Brown was also able to get a step on Makar in the second half on one of his goals, though a miscommunication with Puglise also contributed.
-Princeton’s D was gassed in the fourth quarter. Maybe it was the midweek game preceding the Terps game, or maybe it was the aggressive ride they used throughout the game. They rode hard because they need to to create more possessions, to be competitive with the Terps. So they will likely do it again this weekend. But given we’re talking temps in the low 80’s on Saturday, if they are able to beat Maryland in the late game, they are going to be exhausted, and they will be screwed for the championship game.
-Final thought: Princeton is every bit as good as UVa, if not better. Better ride, more offensive options, deeper D, better goalie. Not as good facing off, but percentage wise they did just as well against Wierman as Lasalla. Oh… and they are just as athletic, if not more so.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:35 am After rewatching the whole game, some additional thoughts:
-I think Maryland underestimated Princeton’s quickness and athleticism, at least in the first half. They adjusted to English after the break (it looked like they kept a shortie on him the whole second half, but hard to tell from the camera angle sometimes), and effectively shut him down. I think they adjusted to his first step after he ran by Rahill and Higgins. Chris Brown was also able to get a step on Makar in the second half on one of his goals, though a miscommunication with Puglise also contributed.
-Princeton’s D was gassed in the fourth quarter. Maybe it was the midweek game preceding the Terps game, or maybe it was the aggressive ride they used throughout the game. They rode hard because they need to to create more possessions, to be competitive with the Terps. So they will likely do it again this weekend. But given we’re talking temps in the low 80’s on Saturday, if they are able to beat Maryland in the late game, they are going to be exhausted, and they will be screwed for the championship game.
-Final thought: Princeton is every bit as good as UVa, if not better. Better ride, more offensive options, deeper D, better goalie. Not as good facing off, but percentage wise they did just as well against Wierman as Lasalla. Oh… and they are just as athletic, if not more so.

Every time I’m willing to say Princeton can actually win this matchup, I look at some of their game scores and see they gave up 18, 19, and 20 goals in some games.

While they won at least 50% of the face offs.

Maybe their defense is considerably better in two weeks, or…
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:33 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:35 am After rewatching the whole game, some additional thoughts:

Every time I’m willing to say Princeton can actually win this matchup, I look at some of their game scores and see they gave up 18, 19, and 20 goals in some games.

Look at Peters’ number of saves. Pretty much a direct inverse correlation to number of goals the other team scored. Princeton gives up alot of shots on goal, in the 25-30 range against good teams (Terps got 34). Puts alot of pressure on Peters.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Watched some of the Feb. game yesterday, and came away with the conclusion that this is a completely different Maryland team with the same personnel. Smith and Higgins were either absent or still recovering. Zappitello was not the dominant player he is now. Murphy has a leading role now and significantly changes the dynamics of the offense. Khan and Donville are playing differently, Malever's role is a bit different now that Murphy has moved up, and the poles are more active on offense.

I'm sure Princeton is different as well, and it's great the Terps can scout from personal experience, but it's almost like watching game tape from a different season. It's probably more relevant for both teams to scout recent games rather than their head to head matchup from a long time ago.

I find it kind of interesting that if MD can beat Princeton, and if Rutgers wins, they will have to beat 3 top teams a total of 7 times during the season to win the national championship (Princeton 2x, UVA 2x and Rutgers 3x). I bet that's never happened before, and it's a pretty difficult task.
nms

Post by nms »

keno in reno wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm
Watched some of the Feb. game yesterday, and came away with the conclusion that this is a completely different Maryland team with the same personnel. Smith and Higgins were either absent or still recovering. Zappitello was not the dominant player he is now. Murphy has a leading role now and significantly changes the dynamics of the offense. Khan and Donville are playing differently, Malever's role is a bit different now that Murphy has moved up, and the poles are more active on offense.

I'm sure Princeton is different as well, and it's great the Terps can scout from personal experience, but it's almost like watching game tape from a different season. It's probably more relevant for both teams to scout recent games rather than their head to head matchup from a long time ago.

I find it kind of interesting that if MD can beat Princeton, and if Rutgers wins, they will have to beat 3 top teams a total of 7 times during the season to win the national championship (Princeton 2x, UVA 2x and Rutgers 3x). I bet that's never happened before, and it's a pretty difficult task.
Could you please explain what makes UVA a top team, but not Cornell? What criteria are you using to identify 'top teams?' I would bet that other championship teams have 7 or more wins against 'top teams'.
Also, they didn't "have to beat" those teams in the regular season.
As already mentioned somewhere in this forum, if Princeton beats Cornell in the final, they will have beaten all 7 of the other seeded teams this year. I doubt that has ever happened.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

nms wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:21 pm
keno in reno wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm

Could you please explain what makes UVA a top team, but not Cornell? What criteria are you using to identify 'top teams?' I would bet that other championship teams have 7 or more wins against 'top teams'.
Also, they didn't "have to beat" those teams in the regular season.
As already mentioned somewhere in this forum, if Princeton beats Cornell in the final, they will have beaten all 7 of the other seeded teams this year. I doubt that has ever happened.
Relax dude. I said nothing about Cornell and you completely missed the point.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:54 pm Image
In the worst way evidently. And here I thought I just had a fun little stat for a message board.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Another cool stat... if Maryland beats Princeton, then meets Cornell in the finals and beats them, they will have beat all of the other final four teams, a total of 5 times. Guessing that hasn't happened before.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:38 pm

Look at Peters’ number of saves. Pretty much a direct inverse correlation to number of goals the other team scored. Princeton gives up alot of shots on goal, in the 25-30 range against good teams (Terps got 34). Puts alot of pressure on Peters.

I assume Peters’ 29% save percentage against Penn was his lowest of the year when he gave up 20 goals. Maryland ought to study the Penn shot selection to see what worked.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:35 pm

I assume Peters’ 29% save percentage against Penn was his lowest of the year when he gave up 20 goals. Maryland ought to study the Penn shot selection to see what worked.
Probably a good idea. They’ve probably already got a good idea based on how he approached the Terps shooters.

I haven’t seen his name mentioned, but one definite wildcard is Mackesy. In the first few games he was basically a non-factor, but after the Maryland game he started shooting much more. In his last six games he’s shot 7, 7, 10, 10, 8, and 7 shots. Against Maryland he only shot it twice. He’s not necessarily a great shooter, having gone 3 for 15 in the tournament… but yet another option for Princeton’s offense.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:07 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Probably a good idea. They’ve probably already got a good idea based on how he approached the Terps shooters.

I haven’t seen his name mentioned, but one definite wildcard is Mackesy. In the first few games he was basically a non-factor, but after the Maryland game he started shooting much more. In his last six games he’s shot 7, 7, 10, 10, 8, and 7 shots. Against Maryland he only shot it twice. He’s not necessarily a great shooter, having gone 3 for 15 in the tournament… but yet another option for Princeton’s offense.
He wasn’t a starter early. He has 27 goals. 7 guys with 20 or more goals. That’s good offensive diversity. Maryland is similar.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 pm He wasn’t a starter early. He has 27 goals. 7 guys with 20 or more goals. That’s good offensive diversity. Maryland is similar.
Interesting observation. If you look at the assists - Maryland has 5 guys with 20 or more assists (and Demaio is right behind at 19). Princeton has 1 guy with more than 17 assists (Brown, who has 41).
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

PulpExposure wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 pm He wasn’t a starter early. He has 27 goals. 7 guys with 20 or more goals. That’s good offensive diversity. Maryland is similar.
Interesting observation. If you look at the assists - Maryland has 5 guys with 20 or more assists (and Demaio is right behind at 19). Princeton has 1 guy with more than 17 assists (Brown, who has 41).

Hero ball.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Re-watched some of the PU-Yale game....Tigers are great. Not sure how they lost 3 other games after MD, but wow they really dominated Yale on both sides. Also not sure how Baughn was only 3rd team all-american, or even a bigger joke at honorable mention by USA Lacrosse. I guess he just has the wrong name on the front of the jersey. Besides Makar, the 2 best defensive players I've seen this season come from Cornell and Princeton.

I agree with the cognescenti here, this is a step up in competition for the Terps, and that is no disrespect to UVA. Princeton is that good, and more noticeably, that tough. Gonna be a brutal game, and unfortunately for whoever makes it to Monday, that team will be at a disadvantage to the team playing the first semifinal. 3 hours additional rest and preparation makes a huge difference when you only have 48 hours between games.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Thanks. That’s a good observation. I think this is the best Maryland team I have seen from back to front. The 2017 team had more top end but this team is more balanced.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

keno in reno wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:12 am
Re-watched some of the PU-Yale game....Tigers are great. Not sure how they lost 3 other games after MD, but wow they really dominated Yale on both sides. Also not sure how Baughn was only 3rd team all-american, or even a bigger joke at honorable mention by USA Lacrosse. I guess he just has the wrong name on the front of the jersey. Besides Makar, the 2 best defensive players I've seen this season come from Cornell and Princeton.

I agree with the cognescenti here, this is a step up in competition for the Terps, and that is no disrespect to UVA. Princeton is that good, and more noticeably, that tough. Gonna be a brutal game, and unfortunately for whoever makes it to Monday, that team will be at a disadvantage to the team playing the first semifinal. 3 hours additional rest and preparation makes a huge difference when you only have 48 hours between games.
Lot of good stuff in the above.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Watched it last night, was thinking the same. Princeton looked really good. Paquette is the only reason Princeton didn’t put up a ten spot in the first quarter. They are very physical, and their dodgers (particularly English) are very quick. Was impressed with Ronda too; seemed like a Xander Dickson type. Glad Maryland faced them already, so that they will have a sense of their tendencies and athleticism. One thing I will say is that Princeton did seem to wear down as the game progressed. Imho they are superior to UVa, no question - way more attacking and close-defense depth, better goalie.

I’ve never really bought into the 3 hour thing. The most important factor is how many nights of sleep to regenerate - and each team gets two. Meals are next, and each team will get about the same amount of nutrition as well post-semi.

Both semis will be very physical. These are four tough, hard teams.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

If you're Maryland and you win, you want Rutgers to win the other game.

If you're Princeton and you win, you want Cornell to win the other game.

It's not so much that the 3 hours of recovery time is the issue. It's the 3 fewer hours of prep time that compounds everything. While rematches aren't always the best for viewers, I bet the coaches would all prefer rematching league opponents in the finals because the prep is certainly easier.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”