That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
gymman1031

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:47 pm Just really bad coaching perpetually
They need to show serious improvement this upcoming year, regardless of their final record, for more and more people to not believe that is the case.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:08 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:47 pm Just really bad coaching perpetually
They need to show serious improvement this upcoming year, regardless of their final record, for more and more people to not believe that is the case.
I tend to think Michigan has underachieved but this is getting so boring man. You keep saying the same thing over and over again. Enough already
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:08 pm
I tend to think Michigan has underachieved but this is getting so boring man. You keep saying the same thing over and over again. Enough already
Yes, I have. Are you also sick of me saying that Peter Milliman, the coach for your boys, can prove more than ever in 2023, as his system will be even more in-place?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:21 pm The thing is, even with that tough schedule, Michigan has as much, if not more, overall talent than a majority of the other teams.
personally, i think one of the major problems has been recruiting. tough to say how much falls on the coaches as it's in the hinterland and not established as a blueblood, but i tend to think a lot of it. they do have their share of advantages.

there is talent out there, and they will ultimately at some point be accountable for it coming in.
players land in boston, delaware, everywhere to varying degrees. i'm surprised they haven't gotten more top canadians, it's been a staple for "western" teams denver, tosu. and they're right up by the border.

we'll see with the extension if he can get some ballers up there.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Does the team have an indoor facility to practice in during the preseason?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:55 pm Does the team have an indoor facility to practice in during the preseason?
this is a bot, right?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:34 pm
oldbartman wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:55 pm Does the team have an indoor facility to practice in during the preseason?
this is a bot, right?
No I'm not a bot. I should have been clearer.. for you... I meant a lax specific indoor facility. Yes they have the indoor field for football. Just wasn't sure if it was limited to football alone, or if other teams could use it. There are a lot of HCs in D I football who don't like other teams using "their" field.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Much better schedule this year (last years was really bad)

We will see if they can get some Big Ten wins this year and take a step up out of the Big Ten basement…I happen to think they can get a couple home conference wins this year…just my opinion.

Need to see them win some bigger profile games…earn their way into the conversation with the other top big ten teams…maybe 2023 will be the year they make a solid step
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

this is a bot, right?
He’s real. Still drags his old a** up to placid and plays on the elder statesmen all broke down-like I hope to be running game in 20yrs.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Does Donovan Edwards play lacrosse ?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:26 pm Does Donovan Edwards play lacrosse ?

Think he was given the "preferred walk-on" tag.. ;)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:17 pm
this is a bot, right?
No I'm not a bot. I should have been clearer.. for you... I meant a lax specific indoor facility. Yes they have the indoor field for football. Just wasn't sure if it was limited to football alone, or if other teams could use it. There are a lot of HCs in D I football who don't like other teams using "their" field.
of course i was joshing, mostly bc umich typically sits at top 5 in revenue generation annually in the $200 million range and growing. and so they buy higher coaching salaries and buildings and upgrades, yada.

and the b1g supports olympic sports as much as any p5 conference and more. i'd be more than mildly surprised if one of their varsity sports, off season and at a latitude of ann arbor, didn't allow for indoor practice when needed. hell, i'd be surprised if mich didn't have several of them.

same goes for any p5 north of the mason dixon. maybe save newbie rutgers? and they're spending asap to catch up.

what p5 schools are u aware of that don't allow other sports to practice indoors? i am curious, those guys can only go 20 hours per week total and that's in-season with i think lifting, scout, etc.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:19 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:21 pm The thing is, even with that tough schedule, Michigan has as much, if not more, overall talent than a majority of the other teams.
personally, i think one of the major problems has been recruiting. tough to say how much falls on the coaches as it's in the hinterland and not established as a blueblood, but i tend to think a lot of it. they do have their share of advantages.

there is talent out there, and they will ultimately at some point be accountable for it coming in.
players land in boston, delaware, everywhere to varying degrees. i'm surprised they haven't gotten more top canadians, it's been a staple for "western" teams denver, tosu. and they're right up by the border.

Just can’t agree re the problem is recruiting. It’s coaching. Coach recruits players. Coach recruits his staff. Coach prepares team for games. Coach coaches games. The latter three have been an issue. Michigan gets top 10 players. They should be in the top 5 given the appeal of a Michigan degree and what the school experience offers. They had both assistants go on the market and one (OC) got a HC job and moved out. That left a hole that is not going to be filled for several years. The experiment of having an assistant coach try to make the leap to HC was a poor choice by the deputy AD (you can bet the AD did not care who was selected). They under paid and got what they got.

Harbaugh should have played Georgia for the Natty, so no one is really focused on lacrosse there anyway.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:12 am

Just can’t agree re the problem is recruiting. It’s coaching. Coach recruits players. Coach recruits his staff. Coach prepares team for games. Coach coaches games. The latter three have been an issue. Michigan gets top 10 players. They should be in the top 5 given the appeal of a Michigan degree and what the school experience offers. They had both assistants go on the market and one (OC) got a HC job and moved out. That left a hole that is not going to be filled for several years. The experiment of having an assistant coach try to make the leap to HC was a poor choice by the deputy AD (you can bet the AD did not care who was selected). They under paid and got what they got.

Harbaugh should have played Georgia for the Natty, so no one is really focused on lacrosse there anyway.
sure, you've said as much. why you think it's the latter 3 and not the former is confusing. all up until you say they get "top 10 players", then i understand. you overvalue the recruits you think they have.
then "should be top 5"... again, i don't understand this. the school has a lot going for them... as do a lot of schools. nobody that has never had a sustained period of success "should be" top 5 in their sport. maybe someday they will.

harbaugh "should have played"... that was anyone's game. they lost. they should have been watching, and they were.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I hope Michigan wins 11 games this year just so this topic dies
a fan

Post by a fan »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:12 am I hope Michigan wins 11 games this year just so this topic dies
It never will. Ten plus years, and you'd think folks would catch on that elite recruits plainly aren't attracted to Michigan the way 30-60 year old lax fans are.

I will say this, though.....whoever is in charge of marketing the UMich brand deserves a fat raise. The fawning that UMich receives from East coast lax fans is truly something to see.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:02 am
LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:12 am

sure, you've said as much. why you think it's the latter 3 and not the former is confusing. all up until you say they get "top 10 players", then i understand. you overvalue the recruits you think they have.
It's simple: name one single elite player on Michigan.

When you can't, that's when you have to admit that they're not recruiting top kids.

Harbaugh got smoked in the Semis.....he had his chance to earn a chance to play Georgia, and was instead...... blown out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:38 am It's simple: name one single elite player on Michigan.

When you can't, that's when you have to admit that they're not recruiting top kids.
Josh Zawada was 9th in the country in points per game last year. Seems pretty good. Originally a Syracuse recruit. Their two FOGOs were also 6th and 18th nationally in FO percentage.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:40 am
a fan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:38 am It's simple: name one single elite player on Michigan.

Josh Zawada was 9th in the country in points per game last year. Seems pretty good. Originally a Syracuse recruit. Their two FOGOs were also 6th and 18th nationally in FO percentage.
That's great. He's a good D1 player. Trouble is, the BigTen teams that are winning have players as good or better than he. And then better players at middie, D, and in the cage. So....they lose, and don't make the NCAA's.

No one would put Zawada in the elite category.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”