UMD in a close one
39%
UVa in a close one
21%

Total votes: 87

jrn19

Re: Virginia v Maryland

Post by jrn19 »

"This is the best team in 15 years and we had to peel ourselves off the field after they destroyed us by 12 goals" sounds a lot like trying to be an underdog to me
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:36 pm "This is the best team in 15 years and we had to peel ourselves off the field after they destroyed us by 12 goals" sounds a lot like trying to be an underdog to me

Gonna go down to the wire.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:40 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:36 pm "This is the best team in 15 years and we had to peel ourselves off the field after they destroyed us by 12 goals" sounds a lot like trying to be an underdog to me
underdog inspirational speech fight!!!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

I don't know. Sounds like facts are being stated to me. It is a metaphor but, it did look like Virginia had to get peeled off the field after the 1st game and most concur this Terp squad has the capability to go down as 1 of the best ever. 15 years might be too short a time frame.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

And Tillman is just stating facts when he says Maryland has lost two in a row in the playoffs to UVA and UVA is the defending champion and they have to prove they can beat UVA in the playoffs

They’re both trying to find whatever edge they can for their team and deflect attention. They’re both good at it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:06 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:40 pm
underdog inspirational speech fight!!!

Terps are the underdogs. Until someone knocks UVA out, they’re the title holders.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:13 pm Terps are the underdogs.
So you'll give me the Terps and how many points??
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 pm

As soon as I collect my guaranteed winnings on Delaware beating Cornell, I’ll be liquid enough to lay some bets on UVA/MD. Stand by.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:02 am
CU77 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 pm
As soon as I collect my guaranteed winnings on Delaware beating Cornell, I’ll be liquid enough to lay some bets on UVA/MD. Stand by.
Share The Wealth :lol:
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:11 am I just thought we should recognize that Loyola would have feasted on every team remaining in this tournament and for that you are all quite fortunate.

I solemnly swear that the information I have given in this post is correct and complete.

( :shock: )
I FEEL like Loyola may have played a lacrosse game against Maryland at some point this year but I could be wrong there.... ;)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:31 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:11 am I just thought we should recognize that Loyola would have feasted on every team remaining in this tournament and for that you are all quite fortunate.

I solemnly swear that the information I have given in this post is correct and complete.

( :shock: )
I FEEL like Loyola may have played a lacrosse game against Maryland at some point this year but I could be wrong there.... ;)

It still stings.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

One thing I'll be watching on Sunday is how Anthony DeMaio is playing.

He looks like he's on a mission. This is what "Tony Time" looks like:
Last 5 games (OSU, JHU, JHU, RU, UVM) - 21 points (14g, 7a) or 4.2 ppg.
Remove the UVA game (hint, hint...he had 6 points in that game on 2g, 4a), and in the other 9 games of the season - 16 points (10g, 6a) or 1.78 ppg
He ate UVA up last game. Not gonna be surprised if tomorrow is also Tony Time.
MDGrad2012

Post by MDGrad2012 »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:48 am One thing I'll be watching on Sunday is how Anthony DeMaio is playing.

Remove the UVA game (hint, hint...he had 6 points in that game on 2g, 4a), and in the other 9 games of the season - 16 points (10g, 6a) or 1.78 ppg
The question that Maryland's offense has posed to teams all season long is who gets the poles. One of the reasons DeMaio has been playing better (in addition to shooting much better) is that he hasn't been getting the pole as often lately (he didn't against UVA and abused their shorties all game long on the left wing). When the first midfield of Maryland is on the field, you are always going to pole Wis and Khan. Then you have two to put on Malever (sometimes Murphy), DeMaio, Long, and Donville. What makes the offense so dangerous right now is that any of those five can and will abuse shorties. Koras and Brennan have been consistently beating shorties off the dodge in the second half of the season as well. While the Maryland offense is predicated around ball movement, more often than not that ball movement starts with a dodge on a shorty.

In some ways Maryland's least explosive dodger is Wis, but he is too big and strong to not pole. When he gets a shorty on him he immediately turns into a two-handed dodger from up top.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Interesting insight on the Wierman-Lasalla match-up tomorrow.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... hups/59708
molo

Post by molo »

I imagine the T winner will be on the winning team tomorrow.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDGrad2012 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:59 am
Wheels wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:48 am One thing I'll be watching on Sunday is how Anthony DeMaio is playing.

The question that Maryland's offense has posed to teams all season long is who gets the poles. One of the reasons DeMaio has been playing better (in addition to shooting much better) is that he hasn't been getting the pole as often lately (he didn't against UVA and abused their shorties all game long on the left wing). When the first midfield of Maryland is on the field, you are always going to pole Wis and Khan. Then you have two to put on Malever (sometimes Murphy), DeMaio, Long, and Donville. What makes the offense so dangerous right now is that any of those five can and will abuse shorties. Koras and Brennan have been consistently beating shorties off the dodge in the second half of the season as well. While the Maryland offense is predicated around ball movement, more often than not that ball movement starts with a dodge on a shorty.

In some ways Maryland's least explosive dodger is Wis, but he is too big and strong to not pole. When he gets a shorty on him he immediately turns into a two-handed dodger from up top.
uva needs to trust their shorties and the ssdm's need to play better. they got torched some at audi. i would like to see if the terps could put up 7-8 goals on shorties. don't give up after 2 or 3. and if slide, double and pound, not retreat.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:48 pm

uva needs to trust their shorties and the ssdm's need to play better. they got torched some at audi. i would like to see if the terps could put up 7-8 goals on shorties. don't give up after 2 or 3. and if slide, double and pound, not retreat.
Will the defensive personnel be same for UVa as at Audi? Thought I remember Dixon say an LSM or shortie was injured during the telecast.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:20 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:48 pm

Will the defensive personnel be same for UVa as at Audi? Thought I remember Dixon say an LSM or shortie was injured during the telecast.
i believe everybody was dressed and available. wayer lsm was in 1st game back in a month+, but that was mostly on schedule for his return. he didn't play a lot, though. maybe didn't even get in the first half. not sure he's been 100% this year.
pretty obvious saustad came back before he was full speed and bower was pulling some double duty filling for both at times.

shorties all played. may see more of parker ssdm on wings, he comes up with them in bunches at times and that would be big.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Ah right, it was Wayer just coming back. Thanks. Maryland games this year have been mostly… pretty boring. Doubt this one will be.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:48 pm uva needs to trust their shorties and the ssdm's need to play better. they got torched some at audi. i would like to see if the terps could put up 7-8 goals on shorties. don't give up after 2 or 3. and if slide, double and pound, not retreat.
agree 100%. Terps move the ball too quickly to worry about who has a pole or not. It's Lars' time to shine...he IS the defensive minded coach, he has to figure the Terps out. My guess, Kirwan's offensive-mind knows that UVA needs to trust that all 6 defenders can do their job, otherwise they are burnt toast. Time for Lars to shine defensively.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”