Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:27 pm DocB's rapid transformation into Sag A in the last few months has been something to behold
It is you who has had some serious “issues”. Lately, you seem to do nothing but attack other forum members.

Get a grip or take a break, and leave the rest of us out of whatever issues you are personally dealing with right now.

DocBarrister :?
Last edited by DocBarrister on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:46 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:25 pm Ernie interviews Crawley on his return to Homewood:

https://hopkinssports.com/watch/?Archiv ... pe=Archive

As always success will be determined on the field but I have a pretty good feeling about him. I think the offensive guys are going to like playing for him. Young enough that he'll be able to relate to them and knows better than anyone what it's like to suit up for the Jays but also experienced enough to lead/teach them and I think a fresh set of eyes is needed to jumpstart the offense.

Doesn't go into tremendous detail but he does describe the offense he wants to run as free-flowing, positionless, basketball style.

Not that it needed yet another confirmation but he mentions looking forward to working with Degnon specifically, along with some of the more veteran returners as well as the incoming freshmen which Ernie says PM is excited about.
so after two years of Grant jr, we're going back to the previous regimes offense only with a younger coach? Then why not just keep Benson? Aren't these incoming freshmen grant jr guys?

I would also have liked to see PM do an end of year q and a like this to talk about why Grant jr was out after just 2 years and what he thinks about the program going forward.
I just did my own Q&A with a current parent. Not as reliable as hearing directly from PM but it certainly was informative.

The staff was by the sounds of it extremely dysfunctional the entire season. They confirmed Grant was no longer running the O and that PM was. The falling out happened around Syracuse but that the acrimony had gone on between all staff members the whole time. It was chalked up to being competitive but the players struggled with the mixed messages. I was told that the staff unlike Dwan and Benson being “good cops” to Petros “bad cop” lacked any “good cops” and they were described as - PM- Serious and unapproachable. Grant aloof and unapproachable, JK serious and a screamer and Annino angry, insecure and unapproachable. This is one parent but I will say it is the parent of a player that saw time so the message doesn’t come from bitterness over playing time.

I was told Crawley is already a breath of fresh air. Connecting positively with players. So it sounds like an upgrade personality wise. We will see if the return of the Benson offense brings any on field success.
thanks for posting. Hope the kid has a good summer. crawley seems like a nice guy.
Benson wasn’t running that offense at Hopkins. He picked it up before going to Maryland. Which Hopkins team looked like Maryland’s offense in 2021 and 2022? I wondered what style offense Crawley would run. Lehigh didn’t run that offense either. Benson did bring along his lethal man up sets.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:22 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:25 pm Ernie interviews Crawley on his return to Homewood:

As always success will be determined on the field but I have a pretty good feeling about him. I think the offensive guys are going to like playing for him. Young enough that he'll be able to relate to them and knows better than anyone what it's like to suit up for the Jays but also experienced enough to lead/teach them and I think a fresh set of eyes is needed to jumpstart the offense.

Doesn't go into tremendous detail but he does describe the offense he wants to run as free-flowing, positionless, basketball style.

Not that it needed yet another confirmation but he mentions looking forward to working with Degnon specifically, along with some of the more veteran returners as well as the incoming freshmen which Ernie says PM is excited about.
so after two years of Grant jr, we're going back to the previous regimes offense only with a younger coach? Then why not just keep Benson? Aren't these incoming freshmen grant jr guys?

I would also have liked to see PM do an end of year q and a like this to talk about why Grant jr was out after just 2 years and what he thinks about the program going forward.
I just did my own Q&A with a current parent. Not as reliable as hearing directly from PM but it certainly was informative.

The staff was by the sounds of it extremely dysfunctional the entire season. They confirmed Grant was no longer running the O and that PM was. The falling out happened around Syracuse but that the acrimony had gone on between all staff members the whole time. It was chalked up to being competitive but the players struggled with the mixed messages. I was told that the staff unlike Dwan and Benson being “good cops” to Petros “bad cop” lacked any “good cops” and they were described as - PM- Serious and unapproachable. Grant aloof and unapproachable, JK serious and a screamer and Annino angry, insecure and unapproachable. This is one parent but I will say it is the parent of a player that saw time so the message doesn’t come from bitterness over playing time.

I was told Crawley is already a breath of fresh air. Connecting positively with players. So it sounds like an upgrade personality wise. We will see if the return of the Benson offense brings any on field success.
thanks for posting. Hope the kid has a good summer. crawley seems like a nice guy.
Benson wasn’t running that offense at Hopkins. He picked it up before going to Maryland. Which Hopkins team looked like Maryland’s offense in 2021 and 2022? I wondered what style offense Crawley would run. Lehigh didn’t run that offense either. Benson did bring along his lethal man up sets.
Tillman would not have brought on Benson if he didn’t think he could run a good motion offense, of which Maryland 2022 may be the penultimate exemplar. The Hopkins 2014-2015 offense was not of the caliber we saw from the Terps this season, but it was a pretty effective motion offense with some lethal finishers.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:26 pm

Tillman would not have brought on Benson if he didn’t think he could run a good motion offense, of which Maryland 2022 may be the penultimate exemplar. The Hopkins 2014-2015 offense was not of the caliber we saw from the Terps this season, but it was a pretty effective motion offense with some lethal finishers.

DocBarrister
Benson consulted with a coach on that offense. Maybe because Tillman told him he wanted something dynamic. Maryland wasn’t running that offense with the Rambo teams. That was a good Hopkins team BTW.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://hub.jhu.edu/2022/06/07/tim-mcco ... -lacrosse/

women get their new man and the school screws up the first sentence with today inserted twice. notably not an ivy league connected guy but spent time at northwestern so that probably checked the academics box for them.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... back/59831
hello to terry foy, another avid forum reader.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:28 pm

DocBarrister
Benson consulted with a coach on that offense. Maybe because Tillman told him he wanted something dynamic. Maryland wasn’t running that offense with the Rambo teams. That was a good Hopkins team BTW.
Tillman and Reppert installed the offense in 2020 after the UVA QF loss in 2019. Benson didn't bring that offense with him. If you watch the 6 games the Terps played in 2020, it's the offense you saw in 2021 and 2022. Benson added wrinkles to it. Tills recently talked about it in an interview he did after the title game.
Typical Lax Dad

Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:28 pm

DocBarrister
Tillman and Reppert installed the offense in 2020 after the UVA QF loss in 2019. Benson didn't bring that offense with him. If you watch the 6 games the Terps played in 2020, it's the offense you saw in 2021 and 2022. Benson added wrinkles to it. Tills recently talked about it in an interview he did after the title game.
Ok
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Crawley did run what he called a positionless offense at Lehigh. He prefers all attack-like players who pass and cut for high percentage shots and devaules the classic dodging midfielder. He sees an alley dodge as a low percentage play. Lehigh also held the ball late into offensive sets before taking their first shot which made them #1 in time of possession (helped also by Sisselberger).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Laxrules10 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:12 am Crawley did run what he called a positionless offense at Lehigh. He prefers all attack-like players who pass and cut for high percentage shots and devaules the classic dodging midfielder. He sees an alley dodge as a low percentage play. Lehigh also held the ball late into offensive sets before taking their first shot which made them #1 in time of possession (helped also by Sisselberger).
didn't we just spend a few years watching 5'7 converted attackmen at midfield NOT work out?

for all the shade the lacrosse media throws at message boards and fans, I learn more about the college game here than I do anywhere else.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:02 pm
Laxrules10 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:12 am Crawley did run what he called a positionless offense at Lehigh. He prefers all attack-like players who pass and cut for high percentage shots and devaules the classic dodging midfielder. He sees an alley dodge as a low percentage play. Lehigh also held the ball late into offensive sets before taking their first shot which made them #1 in time of possession (helped also by Sisselberger).
didn't we just spend a few years watching 5'7 converted attackmen at midfield NOT work out?

for all the shade the lacrosse media throws at message boards and fans, I learn more about the college game here than I do anywhere else.
The game is moving toward "positionless" offense, it's what Maryland ran this year and pretty much what all of the high-scoring offenses do. It's not exactly rocket science. Players need to be versatile and play from multiple spots on the field and wear multiple hats. That does not mean that you must convert a bunch of 5'7'' attackmen into downhill dodgers. There is still a place for big/fast "midfielders" but they need to be able to pass and play off-ball in addition to initiating from the traditional "midfield" spots. I like what Crawley said about giving players the language and tools to run the system but once you do that it's basically just trusting your players to improv. The offense looked a little too scripted last season. This will actually be a good fit for some of the more creative Canadian players like Marquis if they just let him do what he does best rather than force him to play a specific role in a rigid system.

In other news, a school record and B1G-leading 35 guys on the academic all-Big Ten team, that's almost every sophomore and up (freshmen can't qualify). https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/6/8 ... onors.aspx
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

If you have elite skills in other areas lacking in "elite height" is manageable. The problem you are referring to was caused by both being height deficient and elite skill deficient.
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:21 pm https://hub.jhu.edu/2022/06/07/tim-mcco ... -lacrosse/

women get their new man and the school screws up the first sentence with today inserted twice. notably not an ivy league connected guy but spent time at northwestern so that probably checked the academics box for them.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... back/59831
hello to terry foy, another avid forum reader.
I'm hardly a grammar marm and rarely point out mistakes but you're right; that is a brutal lead paragraph. Both sentences were jacked up actually; hopefully this is an indication that the University is lowering academic standards and admissions will allow dumber more athletic recruits to better compete with the Maryland and Syracuses of the lacrosse world.

"Johns Hopkins University today announced the hiring of two-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year Tim McCormack as its fourth women's lacrosse coach today. He succeeds Janine Tucker, who retired after a highly successful 29-year career as the Blue Jays head coach of the Blue Jays"
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t know why anyone would think Jr had much to do with all these commitments.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:17 pm I don’t know why anyone would think Jr had much to do with all these commitments.
Try putting on your thinking cap
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:17 pm I don’t know why anyone would think Jr had much to do with all these commitments.
why do you think he didn't?
Homer

Post by Homer »

genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:36 pm I'm hardly a grammar marm and rarely point out mistakes but you're right; that is a brutal lead paragraph. Both sentences were jacked up actually; hopefully this is an indication that the University is lowering academic standards and admissions will allow dumber more athletic recruits to better compete with the Maryland and Syracuses of the lacrosse world.
Not that it actually matters a whit, but the link 06 posted was from "The Hub," which is the university's daily blast that probably gets immediately deleted from the inbox of 97% of recipients. The version on the JHU athletics site looks perfectly fine: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/6/7 ... coach.aspx

The more interesting theory is that the writers for "The Hub," who probably can count on two hands the specific individuals who pay the tiniest bit of attention to what they're doing, are actually just trying to troll 06. I'd feel more confident of this if they'd put something in there about sweat pants. Still, it's a possibility.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:31 pm
I think the mental model here for how post-Petro Hopkins lacrosse works is basically Apocalypse Now. Milliman's somewhere upriver commanding this weird atavistic village cult, and people keep getting sent up there to retrieve him, only they always inexplicably end up joining forces and, like, playing lacrosse there for 4+ years or something.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:53 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:31 pm
I think the mental model here for how post-Petro Hopkins lacrosse works is basically Apocalypse Now. Milliman's somewhere upriver commanding this weird atavistic village cult, and people keep getting sent up there to retrieve him, only they always inexplicably end up joining forces and, like, playing lacrosse there for 4+ years or something.
In this model is Crawley an assassin? Or an errand boy sent by grocery clerks?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:33 am
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:36 pm I'm hardly a grammar marm and rarely point out mistakes but you're right; that is a brutal lead paragraph. Both sentences were jacked up actually; hopefully this is an indication that the University is lowering academic standards and admissions will allow dumber more athletic recruits to better compete with the Maryland and Syracuses of the lacrosse world.
Not that it actually matters a whit, but the link 06 posted was from "The Hub," which is the university's daily blast that probably gets immediately deleted from the inbox of 97% of recipients. The version on the JHU athletics site looks perfectly fine: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/6/7 ... coach.aspx

The more interesting theory is that the writers for "The Hub," who probably can count on two hands the specific individuals who pay the tiniest bit of attention to what they're doing, are actually just trying to troll 06. I'd feel more confident of this if they'd put something in there about sweat pants. Still, it's a possibility.
The Hub is where the university puts news like $150 million donations to build democracy centers, mask policies, and updates on fulbright scholars. It's a much more highbrow and important part of the university than the sleepy hs.com site.
And yes I noticed the line about the women, sweatpants included, making their ncaas the last several years.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:20 pm If you have elite skills in other areas lacking in "elite height" is manageable. The problem you are referring to was caused by both being height deficient and elite skill deficient.
I forgot to add lacking elite speed, too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”