Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Sagittarius A* »

A Fan, thanks so much for sharing this link!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:28 am
You're very welcome! That's the only 79 Hop footage I've ever seen, outside of the NCAA's Silver Celebration video.

I wasn't kidding about you Hop fans....if you have connections with the Lacrosse staff, SOMEONE needs to get into those game archives and save the history of Hopkins lacrosse. Get those tapes digitized and on to YouTube for future generations of lacrosse fans.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

I recall watching that game...a great Blue Jay team coached by a true legend !
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:43 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:28 am
You're very welcome! That's the only 79 Hop footage I've ever seen, outside of the NCAA's Silver Celebration video.

I wasn't kidding about you Hop fans....if you have connections with the Lacrosse staff, SOMEONE needs to get into those game archives and save the history of Hopkins lacrosse. Get those tapes digitized and on to YouTube for future generations of lacrosse fans.
https://www.library.jhu.edu/library-dep ... -archives/

I'm sure if you reached out they'd be interested in hearing from you. There are a bunch of sites w/old game footage I've found on youtube over the years-local tv stations that used to broadcast games etc. I'm sure there are rights issues, however. But you're right, they should have a special lacrosse archive.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Dan Annino hired as the head coach at Bates. Congrats to him, big step to go from D1 volunteer to D3 HC (though he was a D3 assistant before that). Guess we need a new volunteer assistant.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:17 pm Dan Annino hired as the head coach at Bates. Congrats to him, big step to go from D1 volunteer to D3 HC (though he was a D3 assistant before that). Guess we need a new volunteer assistant.
He got a nice send off on Hopkins socials. Grant still waiting haha
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... bby-benson

Stevens on Benson going to providence.

Benson offenses 12 23 53 2 1
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You seem to have missed data points.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:16 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... bby-benson

As the article shows, Benson’s offenses have ranked in the top 15 in 12 of his 17 seasons as an OC.

Pretty impressive.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:14 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:16 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... bby-benson

As the article shows, Benson’s offenses have ranked in the top 15 in 12 of his 17 seasons as an OC.

Pretty impressive.

DocBarrister
Providence is getting a storied assistant, a great family connection, national recognition, and a page count boost, it's also getting two of the most sclerotic fan bases in the country following its program now.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://overtimethepod.blubrry.net/2022 ... bil-s5-e1/

Rabil does a really nice job making Daniels and the athletic department look sympathetic here with Carc which is almost impossible. "I believe in people not institutions". There are people and players in the lacrosse world who defy the rich bro guy stereotypes that some try to hang on the sport, then there's Rabil in this interview and some of his other appearances. Starts at 1720.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:31 pm https://overtimethepod.blubrry.net/2022 ... bil-s5-e1/

Rabil does a really nice job making Daniels and the athletic department look sympathetic here with Carc which is almost impossible. "I believe in people not institutions". There are people and players in the lacrosse world who defy the rich bro guy stereotypes that some try to hang on the sport, then there's Rabil in this interview and some of his other appearances. Starts at 1720.
Thanks for the link.

Rabil describes the way Petro was released from Hopkins as “not right” and “f*cking embarrassing.”

Completely agree.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:31 pm https://overtimethepod.blubrry.net/2022 ... bil-s5-e1/

Thanks for the link.

Rabil describes the way Petro was released from Hopkins as “not right” and “f*cking embarrassing.”

Completely agree.

DocBarrister
Rabil could have said something nice about the kids, talked about crawley, talked up the work of his former teammate Jameson a lot more, pitched the school the way he's spent the last decade+ running around the world pitching Paul Rabil, thanked the school for letting his PLL use homewood. Instead it's an F bomb filled pity party ("At the ESPYS they don't think I'm a big deal") 2 years on that reeks of entitlement and a lack of self awareness. The game notes could have been better but Petro was fired because the team had underachieved. And rooting for Syracuse. Ok dude. If that's how bad program alumni like him are publicly I can't imagine how ugly it continues to be behind the scenes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:36 pm

Thanks for the link.

Completely agree.

DocBarrister
Rabil could have said something nice about the kids, talked about crawley, talked up the work of his former teammate Jameson a lot more, pitched the school the way he's spent the last decade+ running around the world pitching Paul Rabil, thanked the school for letting his PLL use homewood. Instead it's an F bomb filled pity party ("At the ESPYS they don't think I'm a big deal") 2 years on that reeks of entitlement and a lack of self awareness. The game notes could have been better but Petro was fired because the team had underachieved. And rooting for Syracuse. Ok dude. If that's how bad program alumni like him are publicly I can't imagine how ugly it continues to be behind the scenes.
As he said, his loyalty is mostly to people, not institutions.

As someone who was coached and mentored by Coach Pietramala, whom Rabil views as a second father figure, how could he not root (to some extent) for Syracuse?

Perfectly normal.

Rabil also stated that he continues to hope that Coach Milliman and Johns Hopkins succeeds. He apparently had a lengthy conversation with Milliman recently.

I think Rabil is absolutely correct about the poor way Petro was treated upon his departure. Like Tony Seaman’s firing more than two decades earlier, the way it was handled is a dark mark in the program’s history.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Not to dig up old news but from a neutral perspective the rooting for Syracuse part is insane to me and a little more than a slap in the face to a program that yeah, has been nothing but good to him. Not even like Petro is the HC at Syracuse, he’s an assistant. Also not like Petro was the only “person” at Hop while he was there. Idk, I understand loyalty, but if it were me I wouldn’t go out there and publicly root for my Alma mater’s biggest rival
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:36 pm Rabil could have said something nice about the kids, talked about crawley
Talked about Crawley? That interview is from MARCH you jamoke. Says it right there at the very top of the page and in the URL. It was shared here at the time and discussed at length.

Bringing it up again now several months after the fact when nothing else is going on is proof positive that you will die without complaining about some sort of controversy. You need it like you need air to breathe
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:05 am Not to dig up old news but from a neutral perspective the rooting for Syracuse part is insane to me and a little more than a slap in the face to a program that yeah, has been nothing but good to him. Not even like Petro is the HC at Syracuse, he’s an assistant. Also not like Petro was the only “person” at Hop while he was there. Idk, I understand loyalty, but if it were me I wouldn’t go out there and publicly root for my Alma mater’s biggest rival
Look, no one likes to see the destruction of Syracuse on the field more than I do. Indeed, a complete humiliation of the Syracuse men’s lacrosse team by the Blue Jays is practically the only contemporary sign that God exists. ;)

Having said that, I acknowledge that the people running the Syracuse lacrosse program (including Coach Pietramala) and the team in general seem like good folks. Hey, if my beloved former coach was running the Syracuse defense, I might root (a little) for the Orange, too.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Thanks for the link.

Completely agree.

DocBarrister
He wasn't released from anything. His contract wasn't renewed. That happens all the time when you don't perform under the terms of your contract. What was "F*cking embarrassing" was the play on the field the last 10 years or so - particularly the last 3 years. Hopkins had to rally to win in OT at home against Mt. St. Marys (no disrespect to them for playing a great game). He should have been fired years ago...when you are fired, you actually have a contract.

If you want to argue he should have had another year tacked onto his contract because of the COVID pandemic and Hopkins shouldn't be looking for a new coach in a pandemic, or Hopkins should have waited until June 1st when his contract officially ended. I guess but there was nothing "not right" about what happened. He wasn't fired, let go, or released. His contract wasn't renewed. He could have walked away from it and gone to another school if he wanted. Whether a school wanted him is another thing.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 am

Thanks for the link.

Completely agree.

DocBarrister
He wasn't released from anything. His contract wasn't renewed. That happens all the time when you don't perform under the terms of your contract. What was "F*cking embarrassing" was the play on the field the last 10 years or so - particularly the last 3 years. Hopkins had to rally to win in OT at home against Mt. St. Marys (no disrespect to them for playing a great game). He should have been fired years ago...when you are fired, you actually have a contract.

If you want to argue he should have had another year tacked onto his contract because of the COVID pandemic and Hopkins shouldn't be looking for a new coach in a pandemic, or Hopkins should have waited until June 1st when his contract officially ended. I guess but there was nothing "not right" about what happened. He wasn't fired, let go, or released. His contract wasn't renewed. He could have walked away from it and gone to another school if he wanted. Whether a school wanted him is another thing.
Coach Pietramala isn’t just any coach and he was not just any player. Petro was one of the greatest players in the nearly 150 years of the collegiate sport. He was also one of the greatest coaches in the history of Hopkins lacrosse and one of the best coaches of his generation. He was indispensable in winning the Blue Jays’ last three national championships.

You’re right about one thing, he wasn’t released … he was essentially fired, and rather unceremoniously, I might add.

Unlike you, Pietramala is a living legend who has made great contributions to the sport. I think he deserved a much better send off than he received.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:14 pm
steel_hop wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 am

Thanks for the link.

Completely agree.

DocBarrister

Coach Pietramala isn’t just any coach and he was not just any player. Petro was one of the greatest players in the nearly 150 years of the collegiate sport. He was also one of the greatest coaches in the history of Hopkins lacrosse and one of the best coaches of his generation. He was indispensable in winning the Blue Jays’ last three national championships.

You’re right about one thing, he wasn’t released … he was essentially fired, and rather unceremoniously, I might add.

Unlike you, Pietramala is a living legend who has made great contributions to the sport. I think he deserved a much better send off than he received.

DocBarrister
Then go over to the SU boards and take your nonsense off the Hopkins board if you like him that much.

You have to have a contract to be fired and he didn't have a contract.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”