Coaching Carousal

D2 Mens Lacrosse
LacrosseFan33

Re: Coaching Carousal

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Yeti_33 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:05 am
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:54 am New College of Florida is one of those souther schools:

https://ncf.simplehire.com/postings/993
Looks like the athletics department is relatively new here. Based on this article it looks like they'll be primarily playing in the NAIA

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education ... athletics/
Sorry about that! I had read the posting here and it said D2 (and I missed NAIA)

https://www.usalacrosse.com/coaching-vacancies
eclax42

Post by eclax42 »

Joe Turner to Queens. Mars Hill now open.
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

FaceDodge wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:26 am A club coach hired...

https://www.gowasps.com/general/2023-24 ... 0712qvc35u
Insanity
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Chris Ryan goes to Mount Saint Mary’s.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:38 pm

Insanity
what is so insane about this? the guy coaches lacrosse - MCLA is probably more competitive then whatever conference EH plays in. plus it's a first year program. at least they're not hiring 1 coach for both men's and women's like DE was the last few years.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:23 am

Insanity
what is so insane about this? the guy coaches lacrosse - MCLA is probably more competitive then whatever conference EH plays in. plus it's a first year program. at least they're not hiring 1 coach for both men's and women's like DE was the last few years.
It might be a pay cut even compared to high level MCLA. Some of these small school jobs pay little to nothing.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Insanity
They will be playing in the SAC. Do some research before you make idiotic posts.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

backerzone wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:11 am

Insanity
It might be a pay cut even compared to high level MCLA. Some of these small school jobs pay little to nothing.
Lol! Tell me about it.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

River Donkey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:39 am

Insanity
They will be playing in the SAC. Do some research before you make idiotic posts.

half of the conference is garbage, half is good. don't act like it's the nescac.

point is, this dude is coaching a 1st year program that probably won't ever be anything more then a .500 team at it's best. no surprise the applicant pool was lacking.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:25 am
River Donkey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:39 am

Insanity

half of the conference is garbage, half is good. don't act like it's the nescac.

point is, this dude is coaching a 1st year program that probably won't ever be anything more then a .500 team at it's best. no surprise the applicant pool was lacking.
The SAC is arguably the best conference in D2… I don’t think An mcla team that went 6-9 is competing with the SAC. Also, EH is coming from the ODAC, one of the highest academic conferences in the country. they may have been middle tier of the ODAC but with the right Coach this can be an easy sell to a lot of NOVA..DMV / Mid-Atlantic and New England private school guys..
I’m guessing the Salary and Scholarshiping support wasn’t competitive. I also think the timing of their posting last year wasn’t great. Posting middle of the fall isn’t going to get a ton of top AC’s or current HCs to look. I also feel like they could’ve done a better job of marketing the position this spring / summer when it reopened to draw more in.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Wow, no more Chris Ryan.

Erie is a tough place to sell, so it will be an interesting applicant pool. But obviously Ryan proved you can build a consistent contender at Mercyhurst. Team seems to returning a good chunk with AA's Gleason, McCard, Morley and Landymore. So the cupboard isn't bare for the next head coach.

Below are a couple names I speculate will be considered for the Mercyhurst job. These are my own opinions.

Current Associate Head Coach
Ryan O’Hagan
-Very well regarded assistant. I think is one of the big reasons Hurst has been back in the top 5 the last couple of years. However, I have heard he plans to join the Mount staff.

Mercyhurst Alumni
Greg Stocks- UIndy Head Coach
-His resume speaks for himself, he’s been in conversations for other jobs. But I’d think UIndy to Mercyhurst is a lateral move.

Ryan Sullivan- UTampa Assistant
-2022 Assistant Coach of the Year. Been at Tampa a long time. Also an Upstate NY guy.

Other D2 Coaches
Chris Isle- Seton Hill Assistant
-Long time Seton Hill assistant. Central NY guy and has strong connections to Western PA.

Sam Ashton- Lake Erie Head Coach
-Lake Erie has been slowly improving back to their mid 2010 form.

Kevin Kelley- Rockhurst Head Coach
-He’s an Upstate NY guy. Could want to get back closer to home.

Successful D1/D3 Coaches in the area
Trey Keeley- Cleveland St. Assistant
Adrian Torok-Orban- Robert Morris Assistant
Gill Connors- St. Bonaventure Associate Head Coach
Alec Jernstedt- Grove City Head Coach
Joe Rautenstrauch- John Carroll Head Coach
LaxRatinOH2

Post by LaxRatinOH2 »

You’re definitely delusional saying Ashton at Lake Erie is getting the Storm back slowly. He hasn’t produced a winning season in his four years as Head Coach. There are better options than Sam.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Has anyone heard anything about Walsh? I feel like that job opened up very early, but there’s been no talk or news about it…
LaxRatinOH2

Post by LaxRatinOH2 »

Their assistant interviewed for the job is all that I heard.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

StuckinD2 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:53 pm Has anyone heard anything about Walsh? I feel like that job opened up very early, but there’s been no talk or news about it…
Heard that one of the Dartmouth AC's (that was let go after 2023 season) applied. I am pretty positive he received an offer, but if they haven't announced it yet- then maybe he didn't take the job.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

StuckinD2 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:53 pm Has anyone heard anything about Walsh? I feel like that job opened up very early, but there’s been no talk or news about it…
Salter from Lander
Laxguy22

Post by Laxguy22 »

D2fan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:54 pm Wow, no more Chris Ryan.

Erie is a tough place to sell, so it will be an interesting applicant pool. But obviously Ryan proved you can build a consistent contender at Mercyhurst. Team seems to returning a good chunk with AA's Gleason, McCard, Morley and Landymore. So the cupboard isn't bare for the next head coach.

Below are a couple names I speculate will be considered for the Mercyhurst job. These are my own opinions.

Ryan O’Hagan
-Very well regarded assistant. I think is one of the big reasons Hurst has been back in the top 5 the last couple of years. However, I have heard he plans to join the Mount staff.

Mercyhurst Alumni
-His resume speaks for himself, he’s been in conversations for other jobs. But I’d think UIndy to Mercyhurst is a lateral move.

-2022 Assistant Coach of the Year. Been at Tampa a long time. Also an Upstate NY guy.

Other D2 Coaches
Chris Isle- Seton Hill Assistant
-Long time Seton Hill assistant. Central NY guy and has strong connections to Western PA.

Sam Ashton- Lake Erie Head Coach
-Lake Erie has been slowly improving back to their mid 2010 form.

Kevin Kelley- Rockhurst Head Coach
-He’s an Upstate NY guy. Could want to get back closer to home.

Successful D1/D3 Coaches in the area
Trey Keeley- Cleveland St. Assistant
Adrian Torok-Orban- Robert Morris Assistant
Gill Connors- St. Bonaventure Associate Head Coach
Alec Jernstedt- Grove City Head Coach
Joe Rautenstrauch- John Carroll Head Coach
Not sure Ilse from Seton Hill is headed anywhere. SHU just announced yesterday that he has been promoted to Associate Head Coach.

https://athletics.setonhill.edu/news/20 ... anges.aspx

I don't know if this means he's staying but it certainly doesn't seem like he's heading anywhere at least in the short term.

Read in the article that he's been there for 14 years. He has to be one if the longest tenured coaches in D2 both HC & AC.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Coach Salter announced today as Walsh’s next HC
seventy7

Post by seventy7 »

D2fan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:54 pm Wow, no more Chris Ryan.

Ryan O’Hagan

Mercyhurst Alumni

It has to be Stocks right? His name has been linked with the last few openings and he is an alum. I would have to think that Mercyhurst would want to keep/build on what Chris Ryan did. No one better than an alum who played under him.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”