Mitchell College (CT)
Delaware Valley (PA)
Goucher (MD
Elms (MA)
Benedictine (IL)
ah23

Re: Coaching Carousel D3 2022

Post by ah23 »

Someone who knows more than I do - what's the likely general timeline on these? Some have seemingly been posted for months, others in the last few weeks. Do schools have to wait to interview until the season is officially over or something?
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

ah23 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:05 am Someone who knows more than I do - what's the likely general timeline on these? Some have seemingly been posted for months, others in the last few weeks. Do schools have to wait to interview until the season is officially over or something?
That’s a tricky question to answer but I’ll do my best. Some are probably going through HR background checks and will be announced very soon(these schools recognize the importance of summer recruiting).Others probably had committees just begin reviewing resumes and will be filled sometime in the summer(less worry about summer recruiting/trying to save a buck without having to pay someones salary). Unfortunately a few will drag their feet and won’t bring anyone in until late summer( because they want to save money on the salary)
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:45 pm Add in Benedictine (IL)

https://benu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite ... 362?c=benu

Current Openings

Edgewood College (WI)
Roger Williams (RI)
Misericordia (PA)
Kings (PA)
Marywood (PA)
Oglethorpe (GA)
Wooster (OH)
Hiram (OH)
Bates (ME)
SUNY Brockport (NY) - Went from FT to PT
Utica (NY)
SUNY Oswego (NY)
St. Josephs College NY- PT
Easter Nazarene (MA) - Part Time
Mitchell College (CT)
Delaware Valley (PA)
Goucher (MD
Elms (MA)
Benedictine (IL)
I’m going to contradict myself and my previous thought that most of these jobs would NOT be pulling current head coaches from other schools….

Benedictine is a good job. Conference champ and NCAA tournament team this year. I could absolutely see this job pulling a head coach from a less established program.

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see their departing coach, Button, end up filling one of the current openings…. From a quick look at his bio he has ties to New England and to Western NY…. Perhaps he’s leaving the Midwest to return to one of those areas (RWU? Brockport? Oswego?)
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:25 am
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:45 pm Add in Benedictine (IL)

https://benu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite ... 362?c=benu

Current Openings

Edgewood College (WI)
Roger Williams (RI)
Misericordia (PA)
Kings (PA)
Marywood (PA)
Oglethorpe (GA)
Wooster (OH)
Hiram (OH)
Bates (ME)
SUNY Brockport (NY) - Went from FT to PT
Utica (NY)
SUNY Oswego (NY)
St. Josephs College NY- PT
Easter Nazarene (MA) - Part Time
Mitchell College (CT)
Delaware Valley (PA)
Goucher (MD
Elms (MA)
Benedictine (IL)
I’m going to contradict myself and my previous thought that most of these jobs would NOT be pulling current head coaches from other schools….

Benedictine is a good job. Conference champ and NCAA tournament team this year. I could absolutely see this job pulling a head coach from a less established program.

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see their departing coach, Button, end up filling one of the current openings…. From a quick look at his bio he has ties to New England and to Western NY…. Perhaps he’s leaving the Midwest to return to one of those areas (RWU? Brockport? Oswego?)
I was thinking the same thing - add Utica to the mix as well
MLCfan22

Post by MLCfan22 »

Oglethorpe has their guy. Great hire if the rumor is true.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Benedictine in Chicago is an interesting one - a decent school, but in a league that will always play second fiddle to the CCIW. With the exception of some outstanding years in volleyball and softball, there's always been a sense of "midpack-ness" about Benedictine; however, it may be the best Catholic college option in the Chicago area.

And I'll second what ReturnOfTheWAC said about timelines. A lot of D3 schools work on more of an academic timeline than athletic one. Summer lacrosse recruiting is pretty unique and not a driving factor. New contracts often start on July 1 or August 1, and a school might agree to hire someone, and then tell them to get moved and show up on July 5 / August 1 to sign contracts and get oriented. Of course the coaches will do whatever they can as early as they can, but announcements (and paychecks) may be on hold until the end of the academic summer.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Argyle23

Post by Argyle23 »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:45 pm Benedictine in Chicago is an interesting one - a decent school, but in a league that will always play second fiddle to the CCIW. With the exception of some outstanding years in volleyball and softball, there's always been a sense of "midpack-ness" about Benedictine; however, it may be the best Catholic college option in the Chicago area.

And I'll second what ReturnOfTheWAC said about timelines. A lot of D3 schools work on more of an academic timeline than athletic one. Summer lacrosse recruiting is pretty unique and not a driving factor. New contracts often start on July 1 or August 1, and a school might agree to hire someone, and then tell them to get moved and show up on July 5 / August 1 to sign contracts and get oriented. Of course the coaches will do whatever they can as early as they can, but announcements (and paychecks) may be on hold until the end of the academic summer.
Agreed on the second fiddle comment. Decent campus and nice football stadium, however, I’ve gotten the impression that it’s the ‘safe’ option for commuters and transfers. It also doesn’t help that North Central is a couple miles down the road in downtown Naperville… the transition to D2 would have been a great option for the school if it came to fruition. I’m sure this is a nice landing spot for someone, but it isn’t the best option on the board at this moment.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

MLCfan22 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:07 am Oglethorpe has their guy. Great hire if the rumor is true.
Did Sean Kirwan's wife become the Vice President or something and he just said, "what the hell?"
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Been informed that they have pretty good selection of candidates for the Goucher HC. They should be starting on them soon.
https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/169281 ... s-lacrosse
https://goucher.interviewexchange.com/j ... BID=148539
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Westminster (PA) is now open, their coach took the job at Tiffin (D2)

https://athletics.westminster.edu/news/ ... rosse.aspx
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

MLCfan22 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:07 am Oglethorpe has their guy. Great hire if the rumor is true.
Yeah. That’s some hire. *clap* *clap* *clap*
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Switzerland wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 am
:lol:
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

No disrespect meant, but...who did they even have applying? I mean that sincerely.
MLCfan22

Post by MLCfan22 »

Switzerland wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 am
I’m just gonna stick to my favorite conference the MLC
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

It's bascially mid-way through June. What are the next places to announce? Misericordia, Roger Williams, Wooster, and Kings seem to be on this board for at least a month, but I have only heard a rumble or two. Bates, I imagine, is also close too...

Thoughts? Bets?
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Been told Goucher is getting ready to start interviewing.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

laxdad30 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:07 pm Been told Goucher is getting ready to start interviewing.
Doesn't seem like they are slacking on the timeline. The press release was basically 2 weeks ago. It sounds like one Midwest opening is pretty much all done but the crying.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Switzerland wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:14 pm
laxdad30 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:07 pm Been told Goucher is getting ready to start interviewing.
Doesn't seem like they are slacking on the timeline. The press release was basically 2 weeks ago. It sounds like one Midwest opening is pretty much all done but the crying.
My son is 1 of 4 lax players that have been asked to be part of the process. I guess the School will pick their favorites and then the 4 athletes will get to see the applicants and have some kind of role in the process. I think they will be able to "interview" the applicants as well. Who knows. My son doesn't tell me everything. LOL The School AD was adamant about the players being represented though.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

At a lot of schools, this is just a standard part of the hiring process. It gives the players a feeling of being included and listened to, but rarely do they have much sway over the process. Once a hire is made, it can really help the good feelings (if that's what they are) to spread among the roster. In some ways this can be more for the applicants' benefit than the players, as a chance to gauge the team's mindset etc... It gives them a chance to see the good and bad from the players POV, and that can help a lot.

As for Goucher specifically, I expect they'll get solid candidates and also have a decent core of kids. It's probably a good step for everyone.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”