G Matt Garber Boston U
G Daniel Hincks Dartmouth
G Luke Millican Jacksonville
G Logan McNaney Maryland

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nors/59259
joewillie78

Re: IL Mid-season AA 2022

Post by joewillie78 »

Most of these ratings look spot on to me except one. The Dartmouth goalie Daniel Hincks should absolutely be higher than honorable mention.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:30 pm Most of these ratings look spot on to me except one. The Dartmouth goalie Daniel Hincks should absolutely be higher than honorable mention.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I didn't see the final stats, and not saying he's not an excellent goalie, but Harvard did put up 19 goals on Dartmouth last week.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Midfielders at attack. O-Mids at D-Mid. Standard stuff from IL.

It is mostly a good list tbf, but when you're THE outlet for the sport mistakes matter. The same as when Carc and Quint do their thing on TV. You guys are THE broadcast most weeks, what you say carries weight.
molo

Post by molo »

Which midfielders are listed at attack!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:00 pm Which midfielders are listed at attack!
Handley doesn't really come off the field for Penn so for me he's playing attack now.
molo

Post by molo »

I know that Hanley was playing attack for the first game or so, but the last time I saw him play, he was playing midfield. He was in for every offensive possession, but he did leave the field when Penn was on d and entered through the box when they had the ball on o. He was used, in my view, more like Cowley was at Stony Brook tha the was Kelly was at Maryland.
rcolter

Post by rcolter »

Am I to believe Matt Moore is not one of the top 16 attack-men in the country? Obviously these rankings don't mean much but I'm all for spirited debate ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If you play every offensive possession you should be considered an attackman for AA purposes. These things are primarily a statistical/production comparison so voters should be aiming to group players by similar amount of offensive opportunity. If you watch the games, that isn't hard. If you don't, which seems to be the case for a lot of media voters, then it becomes more difficult. For instance, I saw that Travis from LSN voted for Dordevic as a first-team midfielder. He's having an AA caliber season — at attack, not midfield. Cuse hasn't even tried to pretend that he's a middie this year like Maryland did for Kelly in 2018. He's playing attack. The fact that a media voter and Syracuse alum could get that so obviously incorrect is an apt encapsulation for how knowledgable these guys are on the whole.
random observer

Post by random observer »

rcolter wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:43 pm Am I to believe Matt Moore is not one of the top 16 attack-men in the country? Obviously these rankings don't mean much but I'm all for spirited debate ;)
Moore absolutely has not been a top 16 attack man. He's had that type of career and has AA talent, but the production does not warrant AA consideration at this point (likely due to nagging injuries). He's on a great offense and draws the second pole, and yet still isn't in the top 30 in PPG.

As for the attack/middie debate, I think an argument can be made that a player warrants midfield consideration even if he plays every possession so long as he is operating up top like a midfielder; even in this era of increasingly position less lacrosse, I think there are nuances in how an attack man operates vs a middle that are also borne out in stats. That isn't the case with Dordevic however, as he has been initiating mostly from behind and from the low wing.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:20 pm First Team

A Chris Gray North Carolina
A Connor Shellenberger Virginia
A Logan Wisnauskas Maryland
M Matt Campbell Villanova
M Sam Handley Penn
M Graham Bundy, Jr. Georgetown
FO Zach Cole Saint Joseph's
SSDM Roman Puglise Maryland
SSDM Connor Maher North Carolina
LSM Ethan Rall Rutgers
D Will Bowen Georgetown
D Cole Kastner Virginia
D Gavin Adler Cornell
G Owen McElroy Georgetown

Second Team

A Brendan Nichtern Army
A Jack Myers Ohio State
A Asher Nolting High Point
M Jonathan Donville Maryland
M Patrick Skalniak Navy
M Nakeie Montgomery Duke
FO Luke Wierman Maryland
SSDM Zach Geddes Georgetown
SSDM Jake Stevens Princeton
LSM Greg Campisi Harvard
D Brett Makar Maryland
D Arden Cohen Notre Dame
D Owen Grant Delaware
G Brett Dobson St. Bonaventure

Third Team

A Matt Brandau Yale
A Tucker Dordevic Syracuse
A Ross Scott Rutgers
M Kyle Long Maryland
M Jack Hannah Denver
M Brian Tevlin Yale
FO Mike Sisselberger Lehigh
SSDM Brennan Kamish Rutgers
SSDM Payton Rezanka Loyola
LSM Andrew Song Princeton
LSM Tyler Carpenter Duke
D Brendan Lavelle Penn
D Gibson Smith Georgetown
D Jackson Bonitz Navy
G Colin Kirst Rutgers

Honorable Mention

A Chris Brown Princeton
A Josh Zawada Michigan
A Brennan O'Neill Duke
A Vince D'Alto Boston U
A Mike Robinson Delaware
A Pat Kavanagh Notre Dame
A CJ Kirst Cornell
M Brendan Curry Syracuse
M Alexander Vardaro Princeton
M Anthony DeMaio Maryland
M Shane Knobloch Rutgers
M Alex Trippi Georgetown
M Kevin Tobin Umass
M Jackson Reid Ohio State
M Aiden Blake Cornell
M Sam English Princeton
M Taylor Strough Fairfield
FO James Reilly Georgetown
FO Justin Inacio Ohio State
FO Tommy Burke Vermont
FO Conor Calderone Boston U
SSDM Grayson Sallade Virginia
SSDM Troy Hettinger Jacksonville
SSDM Chet Comizio Villanova
SSDM Bubba Fairman Maryland
SSDM Harrison Bardwell Cornell
SSDM George Grippo Drexel
SSDM Connor Cmiel Ohio State
LSM Roy Meyer Boston U
LSM Ryan McNulty Loyola
LSM Jack Stuzin Yale
LSM/D Teddy Leggett Lehigh
D Matt Rahill Maryland
D Cade Saustad Virginia
D Jake Saunders Richmond
D Chris Fake Yale
D George Baughan Princeton
D Ben Finlay Princeton
D Jason Reynolds Notre Dame
D Cam Wyers Loyola
D Colin Hinton Jacksonville
G Erik Peters Princeton
G Matt Garber Boston U
G Daniel Hincks Dartmouth
G Luke Millican Jacksonville
G Logan McNaney Maryland

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nors/59259
Interesting, with way more Div. 1 teams playing now, when I was in high school there were like 11 or 12 goalies on the AA list. Keeping the numbers at 8 or 9, even with so many more teams in Div. I, seems in line with the honor that it is.

When did St. Boni start a mens lacrosse program.....
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Also, how possible is it that someone could be a FIVE time all american, due to covid extra year? #1 for UVA is a perfect example.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
molo

Post by molo »

Dordevic has played attack all year.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

random observer wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:55 pm
rcolter wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:43 pm Am I to believe Matt Moore is not one of the top 16 attack-men in the country? Obviously these rankings don't mean much but I'm all for spirited debate ;)
Moore absolutely has not been a top 16 attack man. He's had that type of career and has AA talent, but the production does not warrant AA consideration at this point (likely due to nagging injuries). He's on a great offense and draws the second pole, and yet still isn't in the top 30 in PPG.

As for the attack/middie debate, I think an argument can be made that a player warrants midfield consideration even if he plays every possession so long as he is operating up top like a midfielder; even in this era of increasingly position less lacrosse, I think there are nuances in how an attack man operates vs a middle that are also borne out in stats. That isn't the case with Dordevic however, as he has been initiating mostly from behind and from the low wing.
For me offenses are way too fluid to try and distinguish that way. Not to mention how much lacrosse you'd have to watch to actually do it. I think the only real distinguishing factor is coming off the field and how that impacts what you have to do in transition and on clears. So for me that is what needs to be taken into account.

You could also just make it 6 offensive players but then I think you're only keeping Handley in the first team and he's also played a decent amount of attack anyway. So you just wipe a whole group of players off the teams and unless you're intending to argue that the job is exactly the same, and someone probably will, I don't think you should do that.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

He’s had a great career.
If UVA makes the Final Four, guarantee Moore makes one
of these lists.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:43 pm If you play every offensive possession you should be considered an attackman for AA purposes. These things are primarily a statistical/production comparison so voters should be aiming to group players by similar amount of offensive opportunity. If you watch the games, that isn't hard. If you don't, which seems to be the case for a lot of media voters, then it becomes more difficult. For instance, I saw that Travis from LSN voted for Dordevic as a first-team midfielder. He's having an AA caliber season — at attack, not midfield. Cuse hasn't even tried to pretend that he's a middie this year like Maryland did for Kelly in 2018. He's playing attack. The fact that a media voter and Syracuse alum could get that so obviously incorrect is an apt encapsulation for how knowledgable these guys are on the whole.
It's unbelievable this happens. He shouldn't get a vote for the poll or for this in my opinion. Just watch the games, it's not that hard! And it's part of your job!
118:24 #HHH
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:21 pm
He’s had a great career.
If UVA makes the Final Four, guarantee Moore makes one
of these lists.
Moore just passed 250 career points.
Beckhamlax

Post by Beckhamlax »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:17 pm
random observer wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:55 pm

For me offenses are way too fluid to try and distinguish that way. Not to mention how much lacrosse you'd have to watch to actually do it. I think the only real distinguishing factor is coming off the field and how that impacts what you have to do in transition and on clears. So for me that is what needs to be taken into account.

You could also just make it 6 offensive players but then I think you're only keeping Handley in the first team and he's also played a decent amount of attack anyway. So you just wipe a whole group of players off the teams and unless you're intending to argue that the job is exactly the same, and someone probably will, I don't think you should do that.
On if the guy plays attack or middie, it's pretty simple to me. If you're consistently staying on the offensive side of the field and one of the 3 guys on the finishing end of fast breaks, you're playing attack. If not, you're playing middie, even if you're in on every offensive possession and dodging from behind the cage or the wings.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Dordevic, Eric Peters, and CJ Kirst need to be higher. Myers needs to be lower. I think Nichtern and Skalniak could both be first teamers, but not sure who swaps out.

Kavanagh is only an HM, and yet he still seems overrated. The guy shoots 24%, and has shot worse every year. Maybe he’ll move to SSDM like Fairman did.

How the heck did Piatelli not make the list at all? I think Khan on the strength of his really good games should be on the list as well.
molo

Post by molo »

If UVA makes it to the final four, it will in all likelihood be because Moore will have played at an AA level for the second half of the season. An injury has caused him to miss some time and has probably affected his performance when he has been playing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”