D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mr. Webber

D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by Mr. Webber »

Pausing from 2022 to acknowledge the arrival of a new book that will be of interest to college lacrosse fans: Christian Swezey's We Told Baltimore: The Lacrosse Revolution of the 1970s and Richie Moran's Big Red, published by the Three Hills imprint of Cornell University Press (with a forward by Bill Tierney). I pre-ordered one; mine came yesterday.

For anyone who's curious about the history of the college game and the epic geographical, demographic, and strategic shifts that have taken place in the sport -- especially for us oldheads who were impacted by the North vs. South divide that defined lacrosse for so long -- this is a subject that we've been hungry to read more about for a long time, and Swezey is a great journalist and writer. And yeah, folks who are in the Cornell, Maryland, and Johns Hopkins extended families will take a special interest, for sure. I'm guessing, for example, that it may help explain in part why us older Cornell alumni (or as Swezey called us, "barbarians at the gate") are still sometimes a cranky, paranoid lot. :lol:

You can order a copy here: https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/bo ... baltimore/
Pork42

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by Pork42 »

Thanks man looks like a good read being and up state guy.
Mr3Putt

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by Mr3Putt »

I’ve enjoyed his articles ! And, enjoy his passion of the game. I will be buying the book.
molo

Post by molo »

I've ordered it, but it has not yet been released. Looks like April. Sounds interesting. It doesn't take much to get this life long Baltimorean excited about attacking the mythology of Baltimore and lax. Had the pleasure of taking in a game with Mr. Swezey a few years ago at Homewood. Nice guy and a fellow English major.
DMac

Post by DMac »

molo, CU77 said he got his already and they're three hours behind out there on the left coast.
April release?
molo

Post by molo »

Maybe he got his directly from CU Press. I ordered from Amazon.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh, didn't think of that.

No spoilers with your review, 77, can only give it was pretty good or not so good.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yeah, I ordered directly from CU Press when it was first announced. Then I forgot about it until it showed up in my mailbox yesterday.

I haven't done more than glance through it yet, seems very dense with detail. Swezey clearly interviewed a lot of people ...
LynahFan

Post by LynahFan »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:09 pm Oh, didn't think of that.

No spoilers with your review, 77, can only give it was pretty good or not so good.
Spoilers on games from 45 years ago? Pretty sure the title is the spoiler. Hint: Cornell wins. A lot. :)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, I was just having a little fun there.
Only got to see the 42-1 era teams play once, was bouncing around the world quite a bit then. Can't remember who they played but needless to say they won and were an impressive team to say the least. Was a sunny and warm day at the Kopf too, that's sure not a given in Ithaca.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Mr. Webber wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:33 pm Pausing from 2022 to acknowledge the arrival of a new book that will be of interest to college lacrosse fans: Christian Swezey's We Told Baltimore: The Lacrosse Revolution of the 1970s and Richie Moran's Big Red, published by the Three Hills imprint of Cornell University Press (with a forward by Bill Tierney). I pre-ordered one; mine came yesterday.

For anyone who's curious about the history of the college game and the epic geographical, demographic, and strategic shifts that have taken place in the sport -- especially for us oldheads who were impacted by the North vs. South divide that defined lacrosse for so long -- this is a subject that we've been hungry to read more about for a long time, and Swezey is a great journalist and writer. And yeah, folks who are in the Cornell, Maryland, and Johns Hopkins extended families will take a special interest, for sure. I'm guessing, for example, that it may help explain in part why us older Cornell alumni (or as Swezey called us, "barbarians at the gate") are still sometimes a cranky, paranoid lot. :lol:

You can order a copy here: https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/bo ... baltimore/
What was the approximate year and reason lacrosse went culturally fullon Rabil/Lax bro con chill (the band)?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

LynahFan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 pm

Spoilers on games from 45 years ago? Pretty sure the title is the spoiler. Hint: Cornell wins. A lot. :)
Let’s not forget, CU lost the last game(SI was writing an article on the “team that never lost” but scrapped it after CU lost their last game). Us Hobart folk would’ve loved to see our ‘77 teams meet, as Hobart was undefeated that year…
DMac

Post by DMac »

That lil' ol' D2 school beat the Big Red? C'mon. ;)
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:33 am That lil' ol' D2 school beat the Big Red? C'mon. ;)
Weren't they actually D3?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:15 am
LynahFan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 pm

Let’s not forget, CU lost the last game(SI was writing an article on the “team that never lost” but scrapped it after CU lost their last game). Us Hobart folk would’ve loved to see our ‘77 teams meet, as Hobart was undefeated that year…
Yes, and we Cornellians already had our victory celebration planned for the 78 team. We won in 76, 77, and assumed we would win in 78. I was graduating Memorial day weekend, 78, and that loss really put a damper on graduation. As I said, we just never expected to lose and didn't up until the 78 championship game.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:53 am
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:33 am That lil' ol' D2 school beat the Big Red? C'mon. ;)
Weren't they actually D3?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I originally wrote D3 but questioned myself about that.
Hobart Lacrosse NCAA Division II National Champions: 1976, 1977
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=19 ... &FORM=VIRE
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Was known to happen! Dmac, SU wasn't too competitive those years, either :shock:
DMac

Post by DMac »

You betchya, I wouldn't have been shocked.
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Ouch!! Being a true blue Baltimore/University of Maryland guy, I know of the story before it will be so eloquently told by my good friend Christian. This book will certainly inflict some pain on me when reading about the rise of Cornell.But, I can't wait to read it and have the author on my radio show (Terp Talk). Where else but Baltimore can you have so many well attended great men's and women's lax games within a few miles of each other--and 2 great teams only 40 miles away.
Every team in the MIAA
Baltimore county, Baltimore City
Towson
Loyola
Johns Hopkins
UMBC,
The Terps
Goucher
Stevenson
McDaniel
And so many more
molo

Post by molo »

Bruce, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a significant link between Coach Moran and your Terps?
Trivia question which traditional power beat Cornell in 1971 in a weekday game? Hint they were trichamps the yea before CU win the first NCAA championship and win it the next year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”