Your Single Favorite Division I Lacrosse Venue?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Your Single Favorite Division I Lacrosse Venue?

Post by gymman1031 »

You can only choose ONE. And feel free to give any of your reasoning.
Kikin

Re: Your Single Favorite Division I Lacrosse Venue?

Post by Kikin »

Unitas Stadium at Towson. Perfect size, feels large and has the feel of a "big time" event venue. But its not so large that it doesn't look full at around 11,000. Not so small that it looks like a D3 stadium. Outside venue which I personally prefer (unless its below zero). Lots of rest rooms and concession stands.Plenty of easy, affordable parking .Close to a major city but not IN the city. Safe area, family friendly. And no, I am not an alumnus nor a big Towson fan. (neutral on Towson, will root for them when they are not playing one of my favorites). But I do like the stadium.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Harvard. Close to the field. Steep stands so great sightlines. Downside? Bring cushions or your butt aches.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Now that its finally finished, Cooper Field at Georgetown is pretty great. Nestled in between buildings right in the middle of the campus. Quick walk to the Tombs after the game.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I will treat this as "Your Single Favorite Division I Lacrosse Away Venue?".

NMCS: Large Parking Lot. Easy to get a good seat, sun if you want it, but you can retreat under the overhang if it is too hot. Beautiful thick high grass on the field. Annapolis. And the quiet reminders emblazoned all around the stadium of what the home team is all about.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I have a soft spot for Homewood.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Kikin wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:38 am Unitas Stadium at Towson. Perfect size, feels large and has the feel of a "big time" event venue. But its not so large that it doesn't look full at around 11,000. Not so small that it looks like a D3 stadium. Outside venue which I personally prefer (unless its below zero). Lots of rest rooms and concession stands.Plenty of easy, affordable parking .Close to a major city but not IN the city. Safe area, family friendly. And no, I am not an alumnus nor a big Towson fan. (neutral on Towson, will root for them when they are not playing one of my favorites). But I do like the stadium.
All so true, buddy! What a great venue! In fact, if they didn't have the track surrounding the field, it would pretty much be 100% perfect. It isn't a huge negative factor, but it makes the action farther away from the stands. I think it is more fun for the players and fans when they are so close to one another.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:39 am I will treat this as "Your Single Favorite Division I Lacrosse Away Venue?".

NMCS: Large Parking Lot. Easy to get a good seat, sun if you want it, but you can retreat under the overhang if it is too hot. Beautiful thick high grass on the field. Annapolis. And the quiet reminders emblazoned all around the stadium of what the home team is all about.
When it comes to major lacrosse games with very large crowds, there is no better venue in the WORLD!!
molo

Post by molo »

While I get it when some first time visitors are underwhelmed, for me there is nothing like Homewood on a nice—or even not so nice—day, especially when the visitor is someone like UVA, Maryland, or SU. Nothing like the short walk through a nice neighborhood after parking for free on the street.
I admit my affinity for Homewood is probably due to a measure of Baltimore nostalgia, but when I picture a Jax game in my mind, the first images evoke University Parkway.
On a more objective note, I think Klockner and the RIAC are well designed examples of ideal size for lax.
Some complaint about Maryland because it’s so big, but if I have to drive more than a few minutes, it’s nice to have ample free parking at an accessible venue.
I like Navy but have two qualms: they rip you off for parking, and I hate to sound like a curmudgeon, but does any other stadium have so many kids roaming around with sticks in their hands?
Can’t beat the U for convenience. It used to be a five minute walk, but thanks to whiny neighbors and the resultant fence upgrades, now it takes more like 12 minutes.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

The only thing that keeps Homewood Field from being perfect in every way is the parking situation.
molo

Post by molo »

I park on the street and walk to Homewood. It takes from five to ten minutes to walk to the stadium. Friday night games can be a problem due to classist two hour parking limits. One drawback to posh neighborhoods is the dreaded two hour limit.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Klock and carrier.... Carrier may be an unpopular opinion but seen some epic UVA cuse shoot outs there which imo is the most exciting rivalry to watch usually

Homewood is nice too but my memory is still tainted by the astroturf over concrete.

Also like Unitas but haven't seen the craziest games there. Honestly seen better miaa games there.

Worst in the state of MD is umd imo just not built for LAX
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Maverick wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:26 pm Klock and carrier.... Carrier may be an unpopular opinion but seen some epic UVA cuse shoot outs there which imo is the most exciting rivalry to watch usually

Homewood is nice too but my memory is still tainted by the astroturf over concrete.

Also like Unitas but haven't seen the craziest games there. Honestly seen better miaa games there.

Worst in the state of MD is umd imo just not built for LAX
The soccer stadium could have been improved a bit to be a perfect lacrosse venue; I assume Tills never wanted that and prefers the big bird. They've played a few games there and it was good, just sloppy grass. 15+ years ago they used to play early season games where the women are at now; that was pretty awesome watching them battle Duke with Danowski and Brodie Merrill from 25 feet away.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola's Ridley.

And really wishing more games were held at Audi Stadium in DC.

Would make for a great QF weekend venue. Holds 20k.
molo

Post by molo »

I guess I’ll be heading to Audi for the Maryland—UVA game. but I’ll miss Maryland Stadium.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Before Byrd expanded, seeing games there was great. That ten-year run of Memorial Day weekend at Byrd was the best.

Seeing a game at Homewood is the quintessential lacrosse experience. Even if you get stuck in a standing-room-only area for a big game, it's still great.

I really enjoyed seeing the Cuse-MD game a couple of weeks ago at the Dome. The stands are the perfect height off of the field, and the stands closer to the field than I'd expected. So you can really see the game.

Navy would be a great host for the Final 4, but, TBH, it's not really different than any mid-sized stadium you'll find in a lot of places. It's just the history and location that make it neat.

The stands at Unitas are far from the field because of the track around the stadium. No bueno.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Denver, if never there, bucket list it. Built for lacrosse with great crowds. The U is great but track keeps patrons a little far away. Think Homestead and Loyola nice.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Ridley....great facility

I’ll break the rule...my #2 would be UVA...I like sitting in the grass and watching closer to field level
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Michie is gorgeous, I wish they'd host a quarterfinal or FF
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Newly renovated Delaware Stadium is sweet. The stands are literally on top of the field separated by a hedge.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”