A10 Lacrosse Conference

D1 Mens Lacrosse
cuseman4133

A10 Lacrosse Conference

Post by cuseman4133 »

Sounds like the Atlantic 10 is going to announce they will sponsor MLAX next year.

Expected that St. Joe's, UMass, St. Bonaventure, and Richmond (all primary A10 schools) will move. Conference was targeting High Point, Hobart, and Fairfield as associate members. Not sure if all of them are going to be part of the conference.

Either way, MAAC will have five teams and one short of the AQ. NEC would have six if Hobart leaves, perhaps less with Bryant potentially headed to the America East. Sounds like ASUN going to take Jacksonville, Mercer, and VMI along with D2 newcomer Lindenwood. Feels like there's a lot left unsolved.

https://twitter.com/JeremyFallis3/statu ... 6557704201
118:24 #HHH
Farfromgeneva

Re: A10 Lacrosse Conference

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NEC hasn't done anything to make Hoabrt feel welcome last number of years, so if they leave and the NEC cares it's on the pettiness of the conference.

That would be a pretty solid conference, AE is struggling and CAA takes a hit. St Bonaventure could win the MAAC this year.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

With Bryant rumored to America East as well as Sacred Heart potentially as well, I don't see the institutional support in place for lacrosse in the NEC. I imagine the remaining schools jump over to the MAAC which seems to have some interest in expansion
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

cuseman4133 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:09 pm Sounds like the Atlantic 10 is going to announce they will sponsor MLAX next year.

Expected that St. Joe's, UMass, St. Bonaventure, and Richmond (all primary A10 schools) will move. Conference was targeting High Point, Hobart, and Fairfield as associate members. Not sure if all of them are going to be part of the conference.

Either way, MAAC will have five teams and one short of the AQ. NEC would have six if Hobart leaves, perhaps less with Bryant potentially headed to the America East. Sounds like ASUN going to take Jacksonville, Mercer, and VMI along with D2 newcomer Lindenwood. Feels like there's a lot left unsolved.

If the MAAC fell short of the AQ would they ever force Fairfield to play lacrosse in conference?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 pm NEC hasn't done anything to make Hoabrt feel welcome last number of years, so if they leave and the NEC cares it's on the pettiness of the conference.

That would be a pretty solid conference, AE is struggling and CAA takes a hit. St Bonaventure could win the MAAC this year.
CAA takes a hit losing UMass. But losing Fairfield is no big deal. Fairfield has had a tough run in the CAA. They were 3-20 in conference over the last 4 seasons.

Stony Brook is a good addition, but not as strong as UMass. Adding Monmouth is maybe a slight upgrade over Fairfield? Tough to say. Hampton will have a tough go of it in the CAA. Conference will definitely be weaker.
Last edited by Henpecked on Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Any school announcing they are leaving their current conference can be expected to be locked out of the current conference post season play. Ex Stony Brook. It would be ashamed to have to tell the players they have no shot at the NCAA due to school administrations not thinking things through. Why announce these changes in season? SMH.....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

shaadb-man wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:29 pm
cuseman4133 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:09 pm Sounds like the Atlantic 10 is going to announce they will sponsor MLAX next year.

If the MAAC fell short of the AQ would they ever force Fairfield to play lacrosse in conference?
Nope it will never happen. Fairfield has been in like four conferences and always stiff armed them for lacrosse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 pm NEC hasn't done anything to make Hoabrt feel welcome last number of years, so if they leave and the NEC cares it's on the pettiness of the conference.

CAA takes a hit losing UMass. But losing Fairfield is no big deal. Fairfield has had a tough run in the CAA. They were 3-20 in conference over the last 4 seasons.

Stony Brook is a good addition, but not as strong as UMass. Adding Monmouth is maybe a slight upgrade over Fairfield? Tough to say. Hampton will have a tough go of it in the CAA. Conference will definitely be weaker.
Fairfield was fine until a couple of years back. Won the reg season in 14-16 I’m pretty sure. Remains to be seen how much damage Towers did at the end there but I wouldn’t dismiss the program so quickly. No way is Monmouth an upgrade over Fairfield despite their struggles the Pat couple of years (5-2 in 20 but regressed in 21, lot of turnover in recruits, we have a FR who was forced out by the current HC).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:33 pm Any school announcing they are leaving their current conference can be expected to be locked out of the current conference post season play. Ex Stony Brook. It would be ashamed to have to tell the players they have no shot at the NCAA due to school administrations not thinking things through. Why announce these changes in season? SMH.....
The NCAA may have to make some decisions if 3-4 conference champs are locked out which could be the case between AE, CAA (though probably not this season), MAC and NEC. No point in having. An AQ and having 8-14 schools out of 70 ineligible. That would make a mockery of equal access.

Post by 1766 »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:33 pm Any school announcing they are leaving their current conference can be expected to be locked out of the current conference post season play. Ex Stony Brook. It would be ashamed to have to tell the players they have no shot at the NCAA due to school administrations not thinking things through. Why announce these changes in season? SMH.....
I don't know much about Stony Brook's current conference or that they were moving to another. Are you saying that they announced they were leaving their current conference and the conference won't allow them to compete in their conference tournament, assuming that's how they crown their champion? That's really unfair to those players if my understanding is accurate.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

1766 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:58 pm
I don't know much about Stony Brook's current conference or that they were moving to another. Are you saying that they announced they were leaving their current conference and the conference won't allow them to compete in their conference tournament, assuming that's how they crown their champion? That's really unfair to those players if my understanding is accurate.
Yes!!
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:24 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:58 pm
Yes!!
UIC was going to be barred from postseason play by the Horizon League, but the conference reversed their decision (despite UIC supporting that bylaw when it was passed). It's a dumb thing for conferences to do, but I think conferences don't want to see a departing member represent them in the NCAA Tournament (more so in basketball and perhaps baseball/softball). Using the Stony Brook example, would think the America East doesn't see that as positively as the CAA does.
118:24 #HHH
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RoMo was effectively booted from the NEC when they made their move. It happens regularly unfortunately.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

URI adding women's lax to A10 for '24-'25 season. There was talk- but only talk- of shuttering football and starting men's lax a few years back when football had about a decade of stink, but it's improved since then and I don't expect anything on that front. Whatever the state does at the state's flagship school, expect it to half-ass the effort.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:52 pm

Fairfield was fine until a couple of years back. Won the reg season in 14-16 I’m pretty sure. Remains to be seen how much damage Towers did at the end there but I wouldn’t dismiss the program so quickly. No way is Monmouth an upgrade over Fairfield despite their struggles the Pat couple of years (5-2 in 20 but regressed in 21, lot of turnover in recruits, we have a FR who was forced out by the current HC).
I was not trying to disparage Fairfield. They were actually not in the CAA in 2014, but came into the conference with a strong team in 2015. They finished 1st in the regular season in '15 but lost in the first round vs. UMass. They finished behind Towson in 2016 and then lost to them for the second time in the CAA finals. I think the program regressed after joining the CAA. You said they were fine until a "couple years back," but that was actually six years ago. That is a LONG time since they were relevant and have lost 20 in conference games versus just 3 wins in that time.

Since 2017 Monmouth has actually made the NCAA tournament TWICE and accumulated a 35-27 record. During that 6 year stretch Fairfield has not even made the CAA tournament once and has accumulated a 21-40 record. I didn't say that Monmouth was an upgrade. I questioned that "Monmouth is maybe a slight upgrade over Fairfield?" I really don't know. But you can't say definitively that they are not.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

It depends on the conference bylaws. Monmouth is allowed to participate in the MAAC postseason. Conferences also have clauses specifying how much notice is required before leaving a conference, it generally isn't possible to announce over the summer and be competing in the new conference that fall in D1. Stony Brook voted for this policy of not letting schools who are leaving participate in the postseason, and voted to enforce it when BU left the America East.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am

I was not trying to disparage Fairfield. They were actually not in the CAA in 2014, but came into the conference with a strong team in 2015. They finished 1st in the regular season in '15 but lost in the first round vs. UMass. They finished behind Towson in 2016 and then lost to them for the second time in the CAA finals. I think the program regressed after joining the CAA. You said they were fine until a "couple years back," but that was actually six years ago. That is a LONG time since they were relevant and have lost 20 in conference games versus just 3 wins in that time.

Since 2017 Monmouth has actually made the NCAA tournament TWICE and accumulated a 35-27 record. During that 6 year stretch Fairfield has not even made the CAA tournament once and has accumulated a 21-40 record. I didn't say that Monmouth was an upgrade. I questioned that "Monmouth is maybe a slight upgrade over Fairfield?" I really don't know. But you can't say definitively that they are not.
6yrs is really four. Throw in a new coach from a hot Yale program and it’s hard to tell but 10-15yrs of history vs 2017-2019,21 is quite a leap of speculation. Fairfield held its own in the much tougher ECAC for years. They’re not some fly by night program.

Monmouth plays in a weaker conference and is much newer to d1.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

redfoxalum wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:55 am
It depends on the conference bylaws. Monmouth is allowed to participate in the MAAC postseason. Conferences also have clauses specifying how much notice is required before leaving a conference, it generally isn't possible to announce over the summer and be competing in the new conference that fall in D1. Stony Brook voted for this policy of not letting schools who are leaving participate in the postseason, and voted to enforce it when BU left the America East.
The issue would be if St Joes, Hobart and Bryant announce movement to mid season and they get locked out of that AQ. So what then the NEC tourney is Wagner, SHU, MsM and ?? (Don’t think Mack is eligible yet)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:17 am
Henpecked wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am

6yrs is really four. Throw in a new coach from a hot Yale program and it’s hard to tell but 10-15yrs of history vs 2017-2019,21 is quite a leap of speculation. Fairfield held its own in the much tougher ECAC for years. They’re not some fly by night program.

Monmouth plays in a weaker conference and is much newer to d1.
That was a really odd stretch for Fairfield.
Copelan was on the way out.

Weirdly, they beat the Final Four Tigers team in 2017,
so they had the players.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:18 am
redfoxalum wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:55 am
The issue would be if St Joes, Hobart and Bryant announce movement to mid season and they get locked out of that AQ. So what then the NEC tourney is Wagner, SHU, MsM and ?? (Don’t think Mack is eligible yet)
NCAA should deny AQ because they don’t have 6 eligible member institutions

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”