Potential Conference Realignments?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Potential Conference Realignments?

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva

Re: Potential Conference Realignments?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wonder how real this all is vs playing monopoly on a board. No problem w NEC but like the proposed A10 for Hobart who has history with most between NEC and ECAC prior membership.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RocktheCasbah

Post by RocktheCasbah »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:15 pm Wonder how real this all is vs playing monopoly on a board. No problem w NEC but like the proposed A10 for Hobart who has history with most between NEC and ECAC prior membership.
Fair points. Would be interesting to see if and when the schools decide to make these announcements considering what the America East just did to Stony Brook. Also, is the America East in jeopardy now that Hartford and SBU are leaving?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RocktheCasbah wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:15 pm Wonder how real this all is vs playing monopoly on a board. No problem w NEC but like the proposed A10 for Hobart who has history with most between NEC and ECAC prior membership.
Fair points. Would be interesting to see if and when the schools decide to make these announcements considering what the America East just did to Stony Brook. Also, is the America East in jeopardy now that Hartford and SBU are leaving?
I asked the same question RE: AE the other day on their thread. The real question is what’s the home as many conferences in the lower mid major level like to keep privates and publics separate for various reasons.

For Hobarts sake, I hope if they did do anything it wouldn’t be announced until after the season because it’s pretty clear that even mid season the NEC would jam us out of of the conference playoffs out of pettiness. Bart didn’t even get mentioned in the NEC preseason coaches poll-literally discussed (based on order of position in poll) Bryant, SJU, skipped the third place polled team/us, then wrote up the rest of the league
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:38 pm
I asked the same question RE: AE the other day on their thread. The real question is what’s the home as many conferences in the lower mid major level like to keep privates and publics separate for various reasons.

For Hobarts sake, I hope if they did do anything it wouldn’t be announced until after the season because it’s pretty clear that even mid season the NEC would jam us out of of the conference playoffs out of pettiness. Bart didn’t even get mentioned in the NEC preseason coaches poll-literally discussed (based on order of position in poll) Bryant, SJU, skipped the third place polled team/us, then wrote up the rest of the league
I didn't realize the A10 Women's lacrosse had so many members. Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, George Washington, LaSalle, and VCU all carry Women's lacrosse teams but no mens team. Surprising.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JPAtlantic wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:22 pm

I didn't realize the A10 Women's lacrosse had so many members. Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, George Washington, LaSalle, and VCU all carry Women's lacrosse teams but no mens team. Surprising.
Half those schools come up for potential new d1 programs every year even back on LP. Davidson (too small IMO), Mason, GW & VCU

(Lasalle is struggling to stay alive as an institution)
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

JPAtlantic wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:22 pm

It shouldn't be surprising. The reason is called "Title IX". It's the same reason as why Vanderbilt, Florida, Northwestern and six of the Pac-12 schools have a women's team but no men's team.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
old salt

Post by old salt »

Patriot League :?: ...any schools exploring joining or leaving ? The 9 current MLax members are in for all sports the PL sanctions, (no hockey).

9 members is too many for MLax ooc scheduling opportunities.
1--3 defections or 1 or 3 additions, with 2 divisions, would help.
RocktheCasbah

Post by RocktheCasbah »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:48 pm Patriot League :?: ...any schools exploring joining or leaving ? The 9 current MLax members are in for all sports the PL sanctions, (no hockey).

The Patriot League is one of the most stable conferences. They have 10 full members and see themselves as the next level of Ivy League in terms of makeup, academics and athletics. They've only ever lost one member in its history (Fordham, in 1995). I think it's more likely that American adds men's lax before any school leaves.
old salt

Post by old salt »

RocktheCasbah wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:17 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:48 pm Patriot League :?: ...any schools exploring joining or leaving ? The 9 current MLax members are in for all sports the PL sanctions, (no hockey).

The Patriot League is one of the most stable conferences. They have 10 full members and see themselves as the next level of Ivy League in terms of makeup, academics and athletics. They've only ever lost one member in its history (Fordham, in 1995). I think it's more likely that American adds men's lax before any school leaves.
Lost Hobart as a lax member after '04 (I think). They were a good fit. I'd like to see them return, maybe for all sports. They'd be a good travel pair with Colgate. Fordham & Georgetown play PL football ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah it sucked when we were pushed out. Had a tough OT loss to that great Navy team in the PL final and the league had three teams in the tourney with Army and Hobart getting at large bids and Navy going to what is one of the best championship games in the last 20yrs (09 obviously near the top and one or two other but compared to UVA - Umass in 06 and a few others that Cuse-Navy game was excellent).

Navy’s joining from the ECAC was really the reason Hobart got pushed out. But they won’t move their sports up to FCS, don’t have the money for it with a +/- $300mm endowment and tough title IX numbers already.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Looks like Chris Jast is hearing VMI back to the MAAC, keeping them at the minimum of six for an AQ. Plus a lot more below, including Bryant to the America East (from reporters on Twitter), which puts the NEC in trouble for their AQ. Seems like there could be more moves coming either this year or next. https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 1402884110
118:24 #HHH
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

cuseman4133 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:45 pm Looks like Chris Jast is hearing VMI back to the MAAC, keeping them at the minimum of six for an AQ. Plus a lot more below, including Bryant to the America East (from reporters on Twitter), which puts the NEC in trouble for their AQ. Seems like there could be more moves coming either this year or next. https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 1402884110
Works for me.
Neither Fairfield nor UMass were really ever totally on board with
being in the CAA.
The CAA has the same core group, which goes back to the old
East Coast Conference - Delaware, Drexel, Hofstra, Towson.
And Drexel, Delaware, Towson formed the core group going back
even further, if Hofstra decides to go elsewhere.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Bryant's moving to the America East. Good breakdown of conference realignment picture, no idea how much of this could happen. https://www.collegelacrosse.net/post/br ... ipiac-asun
118:24 #HHH
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That A10 event hasn’t happened yet. They discuss it as a done deal. At least w respect to Hobart.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

cuseman4133 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:36 pm Bryant's moving to the America East. Good breakdown of conference realignment picture, no idea how much of this could happen. https://www.collegelacrosse.net/post/br ... ipiac-asun
Gotta think that the MAAC and NEC merge, at least for lacrosse purposes as affiliate members.
ms.understood

Post by ms.understood »

Mercer just announced they are moving to ASUN as an affiliate starting in 2023.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:38 am Lindenwood & Jacksonville too.

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/men/ ... ce-in-2023
Lindenwood, of course is beginning the process to enter DI from DII.

Post by 1766 »

Football and basketball drive the bus. Everything else is nibbling around the edges.

What will be most interesting to watch is what happens after the Big Ten signs it's next rights deal this year. $100MM/school is going to dwarf what the Acc, Pac 12, and Big 12, or whatever is left of it get.

It wouldn't shock me in the least to see other land grant AAU schools make moves into the Big Ten. It would only increase the massive rights deal that is being finalized. The one outlier of that model being Notre Dame.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”