NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxpert

Nearly a Billion

Post by laxpert »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anafaguy/2 ... df2363340c

KEY POINTS
ESPN and the NCAA have signed a new media rights agreement that runs from 2024 to 2032.
The deal is roughly triple the value of the current deal.
The agreement will provide more exposure and revenue to women’s sports.
laxpert

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by laxpert »

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... c-programs

Wasn't sure where to post this and didn't want to start a new topic. NIL is one of the factors that impacted this decision. Going to the minimum number of NCAA sports is a mindset that could affect some lacrosse programs in the future. BTW Loyola Marymount has a club team.
DocBarrister

The Emerging B1G-SEC Empire … Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen

Post by DocBarrister »

As some of you may recall, I correctly predicted that FSU would file a lawsuit in Tallahassee and seek to destroy the GOR (and, consequently, the ACC).

I also posted about the likelihood of the B1G and SEC eventually controlling all of college football and forming two superconferences that competed for their own national championship … kinda like the AFC and NFC.

The B1G and SEC took an initial step towards that future by forming a “joint advisory group.”

During an appearance on "McElroy and Cubelic In the Morning," the analyst gave his thoughts on the recently announced partnership between the Big Ten Conference and Southeastern Conference (SEC).

Finebaum said the joint advisory group between the two leagues is a sign of what is to come, and gives the 32 member schools unofficial decision-making authority over all of college sports.

"I think this is an inflection point in the history of college sports where the two leagues that have not most of the power, almost all of the power, have decided to join hands and start collectively making important decisions," Finebaum said. "And I think it's significant too, because it's a major shift in where the relationship has been between the two leagues."

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/fo ... cfb-future

Hehehe … Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

DarthBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Re: The Emerging B1G-SEC Empire … Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:55 pm As some of you may recall, I correctly predicted that FSU would file a lawsuit in Tallahassee and seek to destroy the GOR (and, consequently, the ACC).

I also posted about the likelihood of the B1G and SEC eventually controlling all of college football and forming two superconferences that competed for their own national championship … kinda like the AFC and NFC.

The B1G and SEC took an initial step towards that future by forming a “joint advisory group.”

During an appearance on "McElroy and Cubelic In the Morning," the analyst gave his thoughts on the recently announced partnership between the Big Ten Conference and Southeastern Conference (SEC).

Finebaum said the joint advisory group between the two leagues is a sign of what is to come, and gives the 32 member schools unofficial decision-making authority over all of college sports.

"I think this is an inflection point in the history of college sports where the two leagues that have not most of the power, almost all of the power, have decided to join hands and start collectively making important decisions," Finebaum said. "And I think it's significant too, because it's a major shift in where the relationship has been between the two leagues."

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/fo ... cfb-future

Hehehe … Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

DarthBarrister
doc,
u and at least a dozen other people have predicted these potential steps on this site alone. go to any other sports site, and there are dozens if not 100+s more. it's not new news. it's a tuesday.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

About 4:30 mark of this clip…

https://youtu.be/9DLuALBnolM?si=dKSub4Mdl5bag-I_
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

FSU basically accusing former ACC Commissioner Swofford of fraud in pressuring member schools to extend the GOR to 2036. Fraud in the inducement is a tried and true basis for rendering a contract provision invalid or unenforceable.

Another central focus is the mismanagement in the lead-up to the creation of the ACC Network. It effectively accuses Swofford of lying to ACC membership about an ultimatum that ESPN supposedly presented to the conference in 2016. Swofford and ACC officials told the schools that in order for ESPN to create the ACC Network, the schools would need to extend the Grant of Rights through 2036. However, there is no documentation of any such demand from ESPN, nor did the ACC receive any additional financial gain from ESPN for the Grant of Rights extension.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida- ... ourt-judge

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:37 pm FSU basically accusing former ACC Commissioner Swofford of fraud in pressuring member schools to extend the GOR to 2036. Fraud in the inducement is a tried and true basis for rendering a contract provision invalid or unenforceable.

Another central focus is the mismanagement in the lead-up to the creation of the ACC Network. It effectively accuses Swofford of lying to ACC membership about an ultimatum that ESPN supposedly presented to the conference in 2016. Swofford and ACC officials told the schools that in order for ESPN to create the ACC Network, the schools would need to extend the Grant of Rights through 2036. However, there is no documentation of any such demand from ESPN, nor did the ACC receive any additional financial gain from ESPN for the Grant of Rights extension.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida- ... ourt-judge

DocBarrister
tomahawk nation is the best. i especially like the "fight for survival" in the tagline. thanks for advising that fraud hurts the enforceability of contracts. suffice it to say not a ton of schools outside of wake and bc and pitt are sending swofford xmas cards, or their own former school presidents. but of course the seminoles are special here.

but how about some real predictions as you like to revisit that sort of thing?
- is swofford caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and will he have damages of his own to face?
- how did tomahawk nation do the casework needed to know that there is no documentation of an espn quid pro quo?
- will chad (yes, his real name) swofford lose his vp job @ raycom as a result of the p.r. blowback?
- does fsu "win" the case(s) if it goes down to the wire/no settlement?
- if fsu swings and misses, do they bring in the saudis?

and last, not a prediction but request to your expertise-ish... a range/guess as to how long we're looking @ if these case(s) go the full monty? thx in advance.
DocBarrister

FSU invokes sovereign immunity to get North Carolina suit dismissed

Post by DocBarrister »

As expected, FSU has invoked sovereign immunity in its defense against the ACC in North Carolina.

Florida State filed its anticipated motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed by the Atlantic Coast Conference against the school in Mecklenburg County Superior Court ….

The ACC prematurely filed suit before an actual or justiciable controversy arose.

The ACC didn’t follow its [own] bylaws to provide member notice or to obtain the two-thirds vote required by its Constitution to initiate the lawsuit vs. FSU.

FSU has not waived sovereign immunity and can’t be sued in a North Carolina court.

The Florida State Board of Trustees never approved the ACC Grant of Right agreement as required by Florida law.

North Carolina law doesn’t allow for the ACC to impose broad, extra fiduciary duties on its members.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/2024/2/7 ... h-carolina

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
ggait

Post by ggait »

Hey Doc — catch me up.

Did fsu and Clemson file to get out in August?

Did the Mag 7 engineer a mass departure to dissolve the conference?

Did espn cancel their contract or otherwise steer fsu and Clem to the SEC while being able to take their rights with them penalty free?

Choice of law been mentioned?

Nope. None of your conspiracy theories have happened as you predicted.

Sure fsu wants out and is suing. Thanks Captain Obvious — everyone already knew that was going to happen.

FSU is suing to gain leverage for future settlement talks. Which is also duh obvious.

Looking forward to when Ex Parte Young might rear its head.

Will be interesting how the new 12 team playoff will affect things. Should be relatively easy for fsu and Clem to make the bracket from the acc year in year out.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
coda

Post by coda »

The Big 10 will likely grab an ACC team. What I would really love is the SEC getting involved in lacrosse. That is a really long shot, but that would be great for lacrosse. The ACC is a deadman walking
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ggait wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:03 pm Hey Doc — catch me up.

Did espn cancel their contract or otherwise steer fsu and Clem to the SEC while being able to take their rights with them penalty free?

Sure fsu wants out and is suing. Thanks Captain Obvious — everyone already knew that was going to happen.

FSU is suing to gain leverage for future settlement talks. Which is also duh obvious.

Will be interesting how the new 12 team playoff will affect things. Should be relatively easy for fsu and Clem to make the bracket from the acc year in year out.
Be water, my friend.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:10 pm The Big 10 will likely grab an ACC team. What I would really love is the SEC getting involved in lacrosse. That is a really long shot, but that would be great for lacrosse. The ACC is a deadman walking
A bunch of influential and benefactors to Ga Tech still talk about going “back” to the SEC…
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:43 pm
ggait wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:03 pm Hey Doc — catch me up.

Be water, my friend.

DocBarrister 8-)
Not coming as aggressively but honestly you make bold predictions then claim mission accomplished when one step in a rockets is taken by someone who’s publicly claiming to be aggrieved. It’s bizarre and makes no sense. Completely unconnected. (Which is different than unrelated as I would expected a sophist to always understand innately)
See Martin, Malcolm
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

If the Big Ten goes to 20 it will be Notre Dame or one of Florida State or Miami

SEC has a tough time expanding. Uva and Unc are not going to be allowed politically to leave their larger siblings VT and NC State in a worse conference. All four will join the big 12.

The Big Ten has outmaneuvered everybody.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nobody believes anything Peter brown above writes.
See Martin, Malcolm
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If ND can have a path to the playoffs while remaining independent, they will do so. I am close enough to insiders to have high confidence in this.

The B1G college presidents will really have to hold their noses for FSU / Miami. They did not like Nebraska. This was hardly a secret.

So, ND might be in a bind if;
- They wait too long; and
- The B1G ADs cannot make the case that the marginal economic value of FSU or Miami is worth the hit to the B1G academic brand; and
- The SEC and B1G seek to create a separate de facto national championship freezing everybody else out.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:42 am Uva and Unc are not going to be allowed politically to leave their larger siblings VT and NC State in a worse conference. All four will join the big 12.
Don't think the politics of conference shuffling resemble those of 2003. Oklahoma waltzed into the SEC and left OKST high and dry. Similarly, Washington and Oregon ditched their little brothers in the latest round without political interference.

In any case, it will take years for the FSU fight to be resolved in the courts. The choice of law issue alone will require significant litigation before resolving sovereign immunity claims. By the time the issue is settled or adjudicated, the politics could change again.
coda

Post by coda »

Hoxwurth wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:04 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:42 am Uva and Unc are not going to be allowed politically to leave their larger siblings VT and NC State in a worse conference. All four will join the big 12.
Don't think the politics of conference shuffling resemble those of 2003. Oklahoma waltzed into the SEC and left OKST high and dry. Similarly, Washington and Oregon ditched their little brothers in the latest round without political interference.

In any case, it will take years for the FSU fight to be resolved in the courts. The choice of law issue alone will require significant litigation before resolving sovereign immunity claims. By the time the issue is settled or adjudicated, the politics could change again.
I am not a big believer in that. That was thrown around when A&M left for the SEC. Then everyone realized that Anne Richards was not the Governor of Texas anymore and nobody was trying to weasel Baylor into the Big 12. The other thing is football is going to way of MLB. There are the haves and the nots. How does a governor tell a state school that they can not make 80-100mm expected payout in the Big 10 or SEC and they need to stick with payouts around 30mm for the sake of little brother?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:46 pm
Hoxwurth wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:04 pm

I am not a big believer in that. That was thrown around when A&M left for the SEC. Then everyone realized that Anne Richards was not the Governor of Texas anymore and nobody was trying to weasel Baylor into the Big 12. The other thing is football is going to way of MLB. There are the haves and the nots. How does a governor tell a state school that they can not make 80-100mm expected payout in the Big 10 or SEC and they need to stick with payouts around 30mm for the sake of little brother?
a nitpick, but the p2 schools have an expectation to possibly earn $30 and as much as $40 million more, not as much as $70.
things will be fluid, including the length and structure of the cfp contract, which if the athletic is correct is a good deal more underwhelming than originally estimated. so tough to tell if the sec in particular is going to want to skew this one more to participants.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”