Landmark Conference 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nevadajoe

Landmark Conference 2022

Post by nevadajoe »

LI_Lax14

Re: Landmark Conference 2022

Post by LI_Lax14 »

As we get closer to fall ball I am going to toss out my initial thoughts on Pre Season rankings...

1. Catholic
2. Scranton
3. Etown
4. Moravian
5. Drew
6. Goucher
7. Juniata

Catholic returns a ton of firepower along with a solid freshman class. Coach Sax gets a full offseason under his belt to continue to build what he started last year.

I think Scranton comes into the year with a chip on their shoulder after getting snubbed in the playoff seedings.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:23 pm As we get closer to fall ball I am going to toss out my initial thoughts on Pre Season rankings...

1. Catholic
2. Scranton
3. Etown
4. Moravian
5. Drew
6. Goucher
7. Juniata

Catholic returns a ton of firepower along with a solid freshman class. Coach Sax gets a full offseason under his belt to continue to build what he started last year.

I think Scranton comes into the year with a chip on their shoulder after getting snubbed in the playoff seedings.
Did Susquehanna leave the Landmark?
If not I’d slide them in at 4 or 5.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

River Donkey wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:10 pm Did Susquehanna leave the Landmark?
If not I’d slide them in at 4 or 5.
Still in the Landmark I believe.

A 4 slot sounds about right. :geek:
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Eight teams this year
https://www.landmarkconference.org/sports/mlax/index

I gotta put my money on Goucher to be decent. I have to... I have vested interest. lol

Team was told they have a tough 16 game schedule coming this year. Scrimmage with NJCAA power Howard on October 10th.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Even though the program is still in its infant stage, glad to see Juniata have a Men’s Lacrosse Prospect Day (coming up this weekend actually) and getting their name out there.

Despite all the coaching "rumors" Coach Sax stays on the sideline for Catholic. Can they be challenged and if so by whom? :?:
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

whoops forgot Susq
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

I would put Susq right behind moravian at #5 and bump everyone else down.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 am whoops forgot Susq
Never sleep on Susky!! Haha!!
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:24 am I would put Susq right behind moravian at #5 and bump everyone else down.
Yes Moravian/Susky has become quite a rivalry. Both teams are so evenly matched it’s always a great matchup. I do believe SU does hold the advantage historically in the matchup.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

In eight games played since 2009, Susquehanna holds a 5-3 advantage over Moravian.

You have to give tons of credit to Moravian in how they have rejuvenated their program over the past few years and how they have become a playoff contender in the Landmark.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

nevadajoe wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:55 am In eight games played since 2009, Susquehanna holds a 5-3 advantage over Moravian.

You have to give tons of credit to Moravian in how they have rejuvenated their program over the past few years and how they have become a playoff contender in the Landmark.
Agreed, Coach Carty has done an incredible job with that program.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Does anyone have info about the Landmark team's fall ball schedules?
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

I was asking about the Landmark team's lacrosse fall ball games.
Thanks.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Sorry it was late at night and didn't have my glasses on. LMFAO.

Goucher has a game October 10th at 12 noon against Howard CC
Then an Alumni game 2 weeks later.
nevadajoe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:51 am I was asking about the Landmark team's lacrosse fall ball games.
Thanks.
LaxCrusader1

Post by LaxCrusader1 »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:22 am Despite all the coaching "rumors" Coach Sax stays on the sideline for Catholic. Can they be challenged and if so by whom? :?:
What are these rumors you're talking about?
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

LaxCrusader1 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:38 am
SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:22 am Despite all the coaching "rumors" Coach Sax stays on the sideline for Catholic. Can they be challenged and if so by whom? :?:
What are these rumors you're talking about?
Moving on to another job, particularly the Amherst job.

I do not think anyone is close but my guess would be it would be Scranton. IMO I don't know why Sax would want to leave Catholic, I understand he is a NESCAC guy and the prestige associated with those jobs but he can build an absolute power house at Catholic. Catholic and Scranton are very similar jobs with Catholic having better access and pull to the Maryland and DC recruits and as a Coach, especially a young coach, a much better quality of life living in DC vs Scranton, PA.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Goucher Scrimmage on Sunday was interesting. Played Howard CC. Was told Cornell and a few other scouts were there for some of the Howard players. Goucher lost 4-9 but I did see some good stuff. They really need a Face-off guy. That hurt. and some of them need to be better conditioned. A few players were quite gassed. Howard had a pair of players with Box helmets that scored almost all of their goals. My son said they were both from Canada. It was a rude awakening for a good portion of the team, but I think this might be the spark they needed.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Having observed the Landmark since its inception in 2008, I can honestly say that fall scrimmages are not an indicator of spring success. But having said that, faceoff wins have also been less important to winning records and championships in the conference. There are other factors that come into play and conditioning is certainly one of them. Especially the fitness of a defense that will be on the field for more minutes when faceoffs percentage is low. Or the ability of the offense to take quality shots when they have possession. In fact, there was a game in 2011 where Goucher won just 1 faceoff out of 19 and survived to beat Drew in triple overtime.
The Landmark has crowned 13 champions. Only twice (Scranton in 2012 and Catholic in 2021) has the overall team leader in faceoff percentage won the championship.
In fact, 7 of the Landmark's 13 champions have had faceoff percentages below .500 and, in some cases, well below .500.
Elizabethtown won three straight champions in '17. '18 and '19 with team faceoff percentages averaging below .400.
In 14 season of play, Scranton has led in faceoff percentage 8 times, followed by Catholic with 4 and Drew with 2. In fact, the All-Conference selections have been dominated by Scranton (Patirck Cefalu, Matt Finor, Adam Drury & Colin Purdy). And remember Chris Whitenack of Merchant Marine who led the country in faceoff percentage with .763 as a freshman in 2014.
Faceoffs are still an important part of the game as coaches can develop their strategy based on the overall contribution to their time of possession and offensive scheme. But the success of a good face-off guy is to win the important faceoffs when possession really matters.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”