Rule Changes for ‘22 season

D1 Womens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Rule Changes for ‘22 season

Post by AreaLax »

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Wednesday approved a package of rules changes with the goal of making women's lacrosse more efficient, beginning with the 2021-22 academic year.

Shortening the duration of the game without taking away the 60 minutes on the game clock dominated the NCAA Women's Lacrosse Committee's discussion last month. Rules committee members also wanted to maintain the freedom-of-movement principles that were established in the summer of 2017.

Members of the rules committee think fewer stoppages during games can be achieved through these modifications:

The game clock will continue running, while the possession clock would stop or reset, during the following:
Fouls committed below goal line extended.
Fouls committed above goal line extended more than 8 meters from the goal circle.
Alternate possession.
The possession clock will reset to 60 seconds if 59 or fewer seconds remain on the possession clock if the offense retains possession of the ball after a save by the goalkeeper and rebound or if a shot hits the piping on the goal. If more than 59 seconds remain on the possession clock, no reset is necessary.
The game will be played in four 15-minute quarters instead of two 30-minute halves. Play will resume after two minutes, and teams would switch directions after each quarter.
Pregame stick checks will be eliminated.
Coaches will no longer be able to request stick checks during their team's timeout.
Coaches can request stick checks at any point during halftime; during the five-minute or three-minute rest time before an overtime period; before the start of the draw before the official's hands are on the drawers' sticks; and in between quarters.
If the first stick check request is unsuccessful, the team will lose possession of the ball. If a second stick check request is unsuccessful, the team will lose a timeout. A team would have to have a timeout remaining to request a second stick check if the first stick check resulted in a legal ruling.
Teams will be allowed up to 12 eligible players on the field at the start of the draw. Once the official's hands are on the drawers' sticks, no substitutions will be allowed until a team gains possession of the ball, even if a team has fewer than 12 players on the field. Previously, teams were required to have 12 eligible players on the field before the administration of the draw. This change would eliminate any delay associated with that requirement.
If a delay is caused in administering the draw and fault cannot be determined, alternate possession will be administered in lieu of resetting the draw or administering a redraw. The team awarded possession will be permitted to self-start.
Dangerous contact cards

The panel approved a mandatory card when a player's stick makes contact with another player's neck. Also, when a player is behind an opponent, cross-checking to the shoulders and back also would be punishable with a card.
wlaxphan20

Re: Rule Changes for ‘22 season

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Interesting. I can potentially see some teams fouling a second time in order to eat up clock time, but not a 3rd because that would be a green card (or heck, maybe they're ok with a green card, it really isn't that harsh of a penalty). I feel like the 30 minute halves gave teams time to build momentum and go on runs, and I'm curious to see if playing quarters changes anything. Of course, the men's game is still a game of momentum swings and runs, and they've always played quarters.

Determining fault on the setting of the draw is going to be a tough one to call consistently. I don't envy the officials one bit for that new rule.

I anticipate they'll put all these into play during fall ball, and if there are any glaring issues or unintended/unforeseen manipulation of the new rules, they'll be altered before the season in the spring.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

All sounds pretty good. I like the change from halves to quarters. Makes assessing certain statistics even more able to be finely analyzed. We'll see how it all ends up getting enforced. Looks like the refs will have a lot of homework in the offseason to get ready for the new changes.

I gave the new rule modifications a skim only but it doesn't appear the mods deal with fouled players in the midfield having to stop while the defense which committed the foul is able to continue to move into their defensive positions. It's still a good idea for teams on defense to foul the team on a fast break.

Also, nothing about defenders on the 8 meter false starting and just replacing the false starter with another player--while the offense doing the same thing loses possession.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm I anticipate they'll put all these into play during fall ball, and if there are any glaring issues or unintended/unforeseen manipulation of the new rules, they'll be altered before the season in the spring.
I'm glad that option exists.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Too bad they didn't change the mashugana overtime period.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm I feel like the 30 minute halves gave teams time to build momentum and go on runs, and I'm curious to see if playing quarters changes anything. Of course, the men's game is still a game of momentum swings and runs, and they've always played quarters.
Gotta figure it will definitely change the way a teams plays whether they're up or down with 1-2 minutes left in the quarter.
You'll play differently with a minute or two left as opposed to having seventeen or eighteen. Definitely adds two more potential momentum breakers during those breaks. I like the thirty minutes, but not a huge deal changing to quarters.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm Interesting. I can potentially see some teams fouling a second time in order to eat up clock time, but not a 3rd because that would be a green card (or heck, maybe they're ok with a green card, it really isn't that harsh of a penalty). I feel like the 30 minute halves gave teams time to build momentum and go on runs, and I'm curious to see if playing quarters changes anything. Of course, the men's game is still a game of momentum swings and runs, and they've always played quarters.
that is currently the rule, no?Determining fault on the setting of the draw is going to be a tough one to call consistently. I don't envy the officials one bit for that new rule.

I anticipate they'll put all these into play during fall ball, and if there are any glaring issues or unintended/unforeseen manipulation of the new rules, they'll be altered before the season in the spring.
Make the game more efficient? Why don't they just be honest, they want a neat and tidy 2 hr time so they can package it for TV. I see no need to speed things any more. The 60 second reset is a good call.

The change from halves to quarters just shortened the bench even more. Coaches already run their first middies like rented mules now, with a solid two minute break after 15 there will be even less incentive to sub.

So no pregame stick checks AND you are going to make checking sticks that much more risky?

The change in rules regarding player safety are good but I see potential for inconsistency in the rules around being behind an opponent.

No other sport, both men and women, seems to make changes with the rules like lacrosse. I often wonder if many of these changes are in a desperate yearning for this niche sport to become mainstream. The will to be recognized. What is next? Totally changing the game to be an Olympic sport?...............oops, too late.
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm I feel like the 30 minute halves gave teams time to build momentum and go on runs, and I'm curious to see if playing quarters changes anything. Of course, the men's game is still a game of momentum swings and runs, and they've always played quarters.
Gotta figure it will definitely change the way a teams plays whether they're up or down with 1-2 minutes left in the quarter.
You'll play differently with a minute or two left as opposed to having seventeen or eighteen. Definitely adds two more potential momentum breakers during those breaks. I like the thirty minutes, but not a huge deal changing to quarters.
Sorry DMac, I see it as a huge deal. Just for what you indicate. You are going to play differently at 14 minutes up by one with a minute to go in the quarter than you would up by 1 at the 14 minute mark with 16 minutes left. The 30 minute half is unique and, imo, allows for large momentum swings like wlp20 indicated. This rule just pumps the breaks. I have more than once in watching a men's game seen a team "get out of a quarter" that they were clearly in trouble in only to rebound starting the next quarter. Had they been playing halves the coach would have either had to take a TO, if they had any, or swing the momentum on the field. Sorry, not a fan of this change.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, I certainly can't argue with any of that. As stated I do like the thirty minute halves, maybe I know better why now. So used to seeing quarters as a half century+ mlaxnut I guess I'm just used to it, which isn't to say I don't clearly understand the get out of the quarter part. I'd bet after all is said and done we'll end up seeing the four quarter game though.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm Interesting. I can potentially see some teams fouling a second time in order to eat up clock time, but not a 3rd because that would be a green card (or heck, maybe they're ok with a green card, it really isn't that harsh of a penalty). I feel like the 30 minute halves gave teams time to build momentum and go on runs, and I'm curious to see if playing quarters changes anything. Of course, the men's game is still a game of momentum swings and runs, and they've always played quarters.
that is currently the rule, no?Determining fault on the setting of the draw is going to be a tough one to call consistently. I don't envy the officials one bit for that new rule.

Make the game more efficient? Why don't they just be honest, they want a neat and tidy 2 hr time so they can package it for TV. I see no need to speed things any more. The 60 second reset is a good call.

The change from halves to quarters just shortened the bench even more. Coaches already run their first middies like rented mules now, with a solid two minute break after 15 there will be even less incentive to sub.

So no pregame stick checks AND you are going to make checking sticks that much more risky?

The change in rules regarding player safety are good but I see potential for inconsistency in the rules around being behind an opponent.

No other sport, both men and women, seems to make changes with the rules like lacrosse. I often wonder if many of these changes are in a desperate yearning for this niche sport to become mainstream. The will to be recognized. What is next? Totally changing the game to be an Olympic sport?...............oops, too late.

Yes it is the current rule. I was saying they would only foul a second time and not a third because of that rule. Sorry for the confusion

edit: or did you mean the bit about officials determining fault on the draws? If so, yes, it's partially true - they determined fault of the players didn't go up directly, went early, etc., but this seems like determining fault before the draw is even taken - which officials could do, but usually just elected to reset the draw or redraw - this new rule seems like they no longer have that option.

Normally officials would have: set the draw, backed away, saw something that was off or had changed in player/stick positioning (not parallel to the center line or not parallel to the ground, etc.) since she set it, and reset the sticks

Now it sounds like they would: set the draw, backed away, and if sticks have moved since she set the draw, the possession is awarded to whomever the official determines is not at fault OR on an alternating basis if no fault can be determined. It was the awarding of possession I saw as making these calls even more difficult as they could come in critical points at a game - the end of the game (or quarter) or a tightly contested game where teams are trading goals and awarding possession could turn into a big momentum shift

Technically, this is the rule already, you're not to move after the official has set the draw, but we've all seen it: sometimes the official is adjusting and adjusting and adjusting at the center circle. Whenever she moves the shafts/heads/players extremities to where they should be, they almost immediately shift slightly back to where they were before. Instead of continuing to reset or penalizing the players for failing to remain still, majority of the time the officials seem to eventually just allow it to happen for the sake of the pace of the game. And I'm criticizing the officials for that either.
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:53 pm
Also, nothing about defenders on the 8 meter false starting and just replacing the false starter with another player--while the offense doing the same thing loses possession.
Sure, another defender can take the hash mark, but the defender who false started now goes behind along with the defender that committed the original foul. It's less bodies crashing into the 8 & less defenders in front of the attacker taking the shot that are able to mark up on passing options if the 8m shooter elects to feed instead. So there is still an advantage.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I am still waiting to understand how the pregame stick check helps speed the game along....before the game clock has even started...

Someone had previously mentioned it had to do with shortening the total amount of time everyone was on the field (pre-game + game), but being that the pre-game stick checks take all of 2-3 minutes...I still don't get it.

I am not a diehard fan and advocate for the pre-game stick check, although I think it serves a good enough purpose, it's just that it doesn't make much sense in the context of speeding the game up.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:01 pm I am still waiting to understand how the pregame stick check helps speed the game along....before the game clock has even started...

Someone had previously mentioned it had to do with shortening the total amount of time everyone was on the field (pre-game + game), but being that the pre-game stick checks take all of 2-3 minutes...I still don't get it.

I am not a diehard fan and advocate for the pre-game stick check, although I think it serves a good enough purpose, it's just that it doesn't make much sense in the context of speeding the game up.
One has to wonder if this isn't the beginning of getting rid of all stick checks--the last one to go being the post goal stick check.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:20 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:01 pm I am still waiting to understand how the pregame stick check helps speed the game along....before the game clock has even started...

One has to wonder if this isn't the beginning of getting rid of all stick checks--the last one to go being the post goal stick check.
I say with the utmost confidence that there will never EVER be no such thing as no stick checks.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

never going to happen. The after goal stick check is the reason they can get rid of the pre-game stick check. Not that non scorers wouldn't play with a deep pocket or deformed head, but the majority of reasons for the stick checks is to catch a scorer with too deep a pocket.

The length and width checks that they randomly did never really caught anything.

The stick check I would like to see is the draw stick.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:26 pm

I say with the utmost confidence that there will never EVER be no such thing as no stick checks.
:D
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 pm
I like the 30 mins too, but I'll be open minded to the quarters. If there's a heat advisory they almost always have mid-half water breaks which aren't far off from just straight quarters, but since the college season ends MDW we don't see too many of them at that level, really just the HS and youth levels.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Really no reason to go to quarters...I thought 30 minute halves was just fine.

Stick check rule...solid

Overall, pretty good.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:30 pm
:D
Jinx :lol: & good point about the stick checks and goal scorers, that rationale is much more satisfying
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Yes it is the current rule. I was saying they would only foul a second time and not a third because of that rule. Sorry for the confusion

edit: or did you mean the bit about officials determining fault on the draws? If so, yes, it's partially true - they determined fault of the players didn't go up directly, went early, etc., but this seems like determining fault before the draw is even taken - which officials could do, but usually just elected to reset the draw or redraw - this new rule seems like they no longer have that option.

Normally officials would have: set the draw, backed away, saw something that was off or had changed in player/stick positioning (not parallel to the center line or not parallel to the ground, etc.) since she set it, and reset the sticks

Now it sounds like they would: set the draw, backed away, and if sticks have moved since she set the draw, the possession is awarded to whomever the official determines is not at fault OR on an alternating basis if no fault can be determined. It was the awarding of possession I saw as making these calls even more difficult as they could come in critical points at a game - the end of the game (or quarter) or a tightly contested game where teams are trading goals and awarding possession could turn into a big momentum shift

Technically, this is the rule already, you're not to move after the official has set the draw, but we've all seen it: sometimes the official is adjusting and adjusting and adjusting at the center circle. Whenever she moves the shafts/heads/players extremities to where they should be, they almost immediately shift slightly back to where they were before. Instead of continuing to reset or penalizing the players for failing to remain still, majority of the time the officials seem to eventually just allow it to happen for the sake of the pace of the game. And I'm criticizing the officials for that either.
No it was the fouling rule.

The draw will be a nightmare for the officials.

Perhaps the rules are to frustrate the officials to get rid of the draw entirely 🤔

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”