Re: Big Green, baby!

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:40 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:35 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:05 pm That sure is a lot of travel
I don't know how that conclusion was arrived at. 7 games in home state of New Hampshire. After that, the team travels outside New England 4 times, twice to NY, once to New Jersey and once to Illinois. Hardly a lot of travel.
Which 7 games are in NH???
You're including the 5 home games?
What are the other 2? I see one, but maybe I'm mistaken.
9 away, 5 home games...sorry, that's a lot of travel games.
Actually, it's not a lot of travel. Not even close.

If you want to remark on a lot of travel, check out Denver over the last few years. Here's an example--their 2019 schedule. Now that's a lot of travel.
https://denverpioneers.com/sports/women ... edule/2019

As far as Dartmouth's 2022 schedule, Big Green has 6 home games at Scully-Fahey field, not 5. The other game in NH is less than 2 hours away by bus to UNH. The games in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are easy bus rides--less than 3 hours to R.I. and even less time to Massachusetts. Then twice to NY, once to New Jersey and once to Illinois.

Dartmouth College

2022 Women's Lacrosse Schedule

Date Time At Opponent Location

Feb 19 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away New Hampshire Durham, NH

Feb 27 (Sun) 12:00 PM Away Stony Brook Stony Brook, NY

Mar 5 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Yale Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Mar 8 (Tue) 7:00 PM Away Merrimack North Andover, MA

Mar 18 (Fri) 1:00 PM Home UMass Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Mar 21 (Mon) 7:00 PM Away Northwestern Evanston, IL

Mar 27 (Sun) 1:00 PM Away Brown Providence, RI

Mar 30 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Boston College Chestnut Hill, MA

Apr 3 (Sun) 1:00 PM Away Harvard Cambridge, MA

Apr 9 (Sat) 3:30 PM Home Columbia Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 16 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Princeton Princeton, NJ

Apr 20 (Wed) 6:00 PM Home Vermont Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 23 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Penn Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 26 (Tue) 3:00 PM Home Drexel Hanover, N.H. (Scully-Fahey Field)

Apr 30 (Sat) 3:00 PM Away Cornell Ithaca, NY
You're correct 6 home games, all the rest are away. 9 Away.
It's a lot of travel.

But sure, Denver requires more flights. This isn't Denver's or their conference's thread. So, I wasn't commenting on them.

But as long as you want to go out of conference, I know you admire the Boston College team.
9 home games, 8 away. And 2 of those (Harvard, UMass-Amherst) away are less than an hour drive, a third (Brown) is less than 2 hours.

Yes, there are benefits of location.
But usually the home and away is pretty balanced, tipping by one each way, year to year.

This is unusual for Dartmouth.
Let me split hairs here, but BC to UMASS is a good hour and forty-five minutes without traffic. But I don't know how fast you drive :)
:D splitting hairs is welcome, and as always, I'm fine with being corrected. ;)
And my son made that same lax trip twice from Boston to Amherst, so I should know better.

Brown is actually closer at barely over an hour. Of course, bus travel can be a little slower.

The UMass trip is akin to Dartmouth to UNH. Just long enough that it's very important to get there early enough to loosen legs, but down or up and back in a day pretty darn easy.

My point is that all of those other away games for Dartmouth are too far to do in a day and back without that being a real detriment to game readiness, meaning overnights and more lost class time. It's just unusual to have the balance this far tipped.

By comparison, the Big Green Men have 7 home games, 6 away this year. Some years, that's flipped.

But hey, just glad that games will get played (let's hope!!!).
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delco Transplant

Re: Ivy League

Post by Delco Transplant »

Ivy League is heading down an unfortunate, disheartening and misguided path . . .

Princeton and Cornell have moved classes online and cancelled some sporting events:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu ... 905152002/
https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketba ... -dome.html

"The designation led to a number of cancellations at Cornell, including a men’s home basketball game on Sunday against Bryant. The Big Red is scheduled to play Syracuse on Tuesday in the Carrier Dome. A Cornell athletic department spokesman said today the game, right now, is not in jeopardy."

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/12/ ... ampus.html

Penn has banned large indoor gatherings

https://www.thedp.com/article/2021/12/p ... ties-covid
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:31 pm Ivy League is heading down an unfortunate, disheartening and misguided path . . .

Princeton and Cornell have moved classes online and cancelled some sporting events:

"The designation led to a number of cancellations at Cornell, including a men’s home basketball game on Sunday against Bryant. The Big Red is scheduled to play Syracuse on Tuesday in the Carrier Dome. A Cornell athletic department spokesman said today the game, right now, is not in jeopardy."

We've been discussing this on the men's side as well...I'd bet this will prove to be temporary, not stretch into spring.

I think they'll be able to analyze some data in due course and will quite likely find that very few of the cases are happening among boosted and that they are not severe. So, the policy is likely to be to insist on boosters for students and staff.

The Ivies have felt a responsibility to the communities beyond their own walls, (IMO to their credit) but that was primarily pre widespread vaccine availability. I think this concern wanes given the reality that vaccines and boosters actually do work, and are widely available, but that the effect is more in terms of severity than absolute protection from any infection "cases".

I also think the availability later this winter of a therapeutic at home pill regimen is likely to also greatly lessen anxiety about "cases".

Hope so.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:31 pm Ivy League is heading down an unfortunate, disheartening and misguided path . . .

We'll see if the NESCAC follows and then the Patriot league...that's usually the progression.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Harvard Captain Grace Hulslander

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I saw this brave young woman play during her frosh campaign on a raw overcast afternoon at BC. She stood out for the Crimson. Very talented player. I mentioned tough because I remember seeing a game at Dartmouth on espn+ where she went to cage from goal line extended and ran into a cross check and was absolutely decked. She writhed on the cold ground for a moment and then got up with the help of her teammates and stayed on the field. It never ceases to amaze me how tough and courageous the young women who play lacrosse are.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Harvard Captain Grace Hulslander

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:46 am I saw this brave young woman play during her frosh campaign on a raw overcast afternoon at BC. She stood out for the Crimson. Very talented player. I mentioned tough because I remember seeing a game at Dartmouth on espn+ where she went to cage from goal line extended and ran into a cross check and was absolutely decked. She writhed on the cold ground for a moment and then got up with the help of her teammates and stayed on the field. It never ceases to amaze me how tough and courageous the young women who play lacrosse are.
Still had the clip in the archives. No audio though.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:59 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:46 am I saw this brave young woman play during her frosh campaign on a raw overcast afternoon at BC. She stood out for the Crimson. Very talented player. I mentioned tough because I remember seeing a game at Dartmouth on espn+ where she went to cage from goal line extended and ran into a cross check and was absolutely decked. She writhed on the cold ground for a moment and then got up with the help of her teammates and stayed on the field. It never ceases to amaze me how tough and courageous the young women who play lacrosse are.

ouch.

But the hyperbole seems a bit over the top.
Almost sexist.

Of course these players are "tough"; they're also committed to doing what it takes to score or prevent a score. They're competitive athletes playing at the highest level for their age group.

This particular 'pop' seemed excessive to me.
Perhaps the ref saw it as a collision initiated by the attacker. Hard pop.
OuttaNowhereWregget

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:58 am

ouch.

Almost sexist.

Of course these players are "tough"; they're also committed to doing what it takes to score or prevent a score. They're competitive athletes playing at the highest level for their age group.

Trolling MDlaxfan76? This feels like a petty attempt at revenge for being corrected on the word choice about Dartmouth’s schedule.

For the record, I think anyone who plays a contact sport, whether female or male, young or old is brave and courageous. But since this is a women’s lacrosse board, and I happen to think the hit Ms. Hulslander absorbed was very hard—tough and brave and courageous just happens to apply to a young woman this time. Yes, I think young women who play lacrosse are tough and brave and courageous. They wear their war wounds proudly – bruises on their upper arms that take weeks and sometimes months to go away. I think of Syracuse’s Morgan Alexander who had 5? 6? ACL operations and still came back to play. I think of NU’s Liza Elder who had ACL‘s on both knees and still came back to play. I’m sure there are thousands of other young women who have suffered ACL‘s only to come back and play again. If that was me I would’ve had one ACL operation and I would have been done with sports. Who am I kidding – I would’ve gotten up from the hit Ms. Hulslander absorbed and hung up my cleats. From my perspective these young women are very tough and I am impressed by it the way I am by any athlete’s toughness. You want to call my efforts at acknowledging and praising how tough and brave women are sexist? I find that disgusting. Yes, I think these young women are tough and brave and courageous. The same way I think BU’s Travis Roy was tough and brave and courageous. The same way I thought Bruins Norm Leveille was tough and brave and courageous. I have great esteem for women, so don’t you dare try to spin my praise of their toughness and bravery into sexism. Go troll someplace else.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

ouch.

Almost sexist.

Spot on - there are 110+ D1 women's games played each week, and in each game there are a handful of plays just like this. I look forward to the thousands of videos posted all season long pointing out the brave women writhing on the frozen tundra on a cold overcast day on Lambeau field.. :roll: :roll:
Bart

Post by Bart »

Showed this clip to my little princess and asked if this was brave and courageous. She laughed, and said that is pretty much going to the goal. Happens all the time, especially in practice.

Tough absolutely.

EDIT: Princess just texted me and indicated she now wants to be called Capt. Courageous.......smart arse.
Last edited by Bart on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Bart wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 pm

Showed this clip to my little princess and asked if this was brave and courageous. She laughed, and said that is pretty much going to the goal. Happens all the time, especially in practice.

Tough absolutely.
Same - mine wears the bruises up and down each arm as a badge of courage and rolls up the short sleeves of her tshirt to proudly display them!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:58 am

ouch.

Almost sexist.

Trolling MDlaxfan76? This feels like a petty attempt at revenge for being corrected on the word choice about Dartmouth’s schedule.

For the record, I think anyone who plays a contact sport, whether female or male, young or old is brave and courageous. But since this is a women’s lacrosse board, and I happen to think the hit Ms. Hulslander absorbed was very hard—tough and brave and courageous just happens to apply to a young woman this time. Yes, I think young women who play lacrosse are tough and brave and courageous. They wear their war wounds proudly – bruises on their upper arms that take weeks and sometimes months to go away. I think of Syracuse’s Morgan Alexander who had 5? 6? ACL operations and still came back to play. I think of NU’s Liza Elder who had ACL‘s on both knees and still came back to play. I’m sure there are thousands of other young women who have suffered ACL‘s only to come back and play again. If that was me I would’ve had one ACL operation and I would have been done with sports. Who am I kidding – I would’ve gotten up from the hit Ms. Hulslander absorbed and hung up my cleats. From my perspective these young women are very tough and I am impressed by it the way I am by any athlete’s toughness. You want to call my efforts at acknowledging and praising how tough and brave women are sexist? I find that disgusting. Yes, I think these young women are tough and brave and courageous. The same way I think BU’s Travis Roy was tough and brave and courageous. The same way I thought Bruins Norm Leveille was tough and brave and courageous. I have great esteem for women, so don’t you dare try to spin my praise of their toughness and bravery into sexism. Go troll someplace else.
:lol: :roll:

First, I believe I pretty thoroughly blew out of the water your attempted "correction". It's indeed an unusually imbalanced schedule, way more away games away than at home, and that's not typical for them. The men, by comparison, happen to be 7 home, 6 away...usually it's the reverse but very rarely would it be as imbalanced as that particular schedule the women show for this year, no whining, just a reaction... but no, I wasn't remotely thinking about that exchange when posting above.

Second, I just think you're way over the top sometimes, as the subsequent dads posting seem to think as well about this "brave and courageous" stuff. But sure, if you'd use the same hyperbole about every pop that males take and call simply playing the sport "brave and courageous" then you're indeed inoculated from being "sexist" when over the top about some gal taking a hard pop in her chosen sport.

But seriously, this happens all the time for the women.
They're athletes, playing competitively at the top level for their age group...most of them surely wouldn't think of themselves doing so as "brave and courageous" nor would they say that of each other.

"tough" sure. "hard-nosed" sure. But no hyperbole needed.

Take my opinion for what it's worth, it's not "trolling", it's direct feedback.
McSpazatron

Post by McSpazatron »

Penns out of conference schedule is BRUTAL for them. JHU,Loyola,Duke,Gtown,Maryland,Northwestern, and Drexel. It is going to be tough to win any of those games.
Princetons is a bit easier but no cake walk UVA,Stonybrook,Loyola,Maryland and USC
Dartmouth also tough Stonybrook, UMASS,Northwestern,Boston College, and Drexel

Stonybrook has games against 4 ivies, looks like Spallina wants to tee off against the league this year !!

I fear the only invite is going to be whomever wins the Ivy this year as there is no room for slip ups in out of conference games for any of them.
OuttaNowhereWregget

McSpazatron wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:33 pm Penns out of conference schedule is BRUTAL for them. JHU,Loyola,Duke,Gtown,Maryland,Northwestern, and Drexel. It is going to be tough to win any of those games.
Princetons is a bit easier but no cake walk UVA,Stonybrook,Loyola,Maryland and USC
Dartmouth also tough Stonybrook, UMASS,Northwestern,Boston College, and Drexel

Stonybrook has games against 4 ivies, looks like Spallina wants to tee off against the league this year !!

I fear the only invite is going to be whomever wins the Ivy this year as there is no room for slip ups in out of conference games for any of them.
So tough to gauge how the Ancient Eight will do this year. We've become accustomed to Princeton, Dartmouth and Penn regularly among the nations top ranked teams and never an easy out during the regular season. With the long layoff, it's impossible for to say if that will again be the case this year. In the pre 2020 days, some of these opponents would be fairly easy outs. Now, nothing is a sure thing. As a previous poster noted, Princeton is best set up for success--on paper. We'll see how they look on the field. I hope the Ivy League exceeds expectations. I enjoy seeing them do well. I think the rest of the NCAA is better with a strong Ivy League. Hopefully one day soon they'll once again have a representative at Memorial day weekend.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ivy League Women’s Coach’s Poll

Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 2/8/22

Princeton received all 18 first place votes in the Ivy League Women’s Lacrosse Preseason Media Poll, slotting in as a unanimous No. 1 selection ahead of the 2022 season.

The Tigers finished with 128 points in the poll, clear of Penn which ranked second with 112.

Princeton is the highest-ranked Ivy team in the ILWomen/IWLCA Preseason Rankings (No. 15) and the Nike/US Lacrosse Preseason Rankings (No. 13).

The Tigers have won 15 Ivy League championships, including six in a row from 2014-19. Princeton has also won the last three Ivy League Tournament championships (2017-19) and have won five of the 10 Ivy Tournaments held since 2010.

Princeton opens its 2022 season on February 20 at No. 11 Virginia. The home opener is set for February 26 against No. 22 Temple at 1 p.m. Penn’s season opens on Saturday, February 19, kicking it off with a four-game homestand. The Quakers start with Delaware in Franklin Field at 3 p.m.

IVY LEAGUE PRESEASON POLL
1. Princeton (18) 128
2. Penn 112
3. Dartmouth 88
4. Cornell 76
T5. Brown 56
T5. Harvard 56
7. Yale 42
8. Columbia 18
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:28 pm
IVY LEAGUE PRESEASON POLL
1. Princeton (18) 128
2. Penn 112
3. Dartmouth 88
4. Cornell received votes
T5. Brown received votes
T5. Harvard received votes
7. Yale received votes
8. Columbia received votes
So much easier if they just did what we already know....emphasis is mine
McSpazatron

Post by McSpazatron »

Really looking forward to seeing these women compete again ! almost 2 years since they got to play last, should be an awesome feeling for these athletes to get back to what they love !
OuttaNowhereWregget

A welcome welcome back

Every Ivy League team won their opener yesterday. Glad to see it. Granted, none of the 6 teams in action beat a ranked opponent but that's not important. The Ancient Eight are back.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”