York 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: York 2022

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:15 am Denison has already lost to Grove City once and putting Dickinson in line to play Gettysburg again seems like a tough ask for Dickinson.

SoVA can score in bunches, but I’ll take facing them over a Wesleyan/RPI.

Yes, Dickinson drawing G’burg in quadrant, and likely as their second match, is tough (more so for Gettysburg). York had Salisbury in their NCAA tournament quadrant, poised for a third run-in, more times than I care to remember. It only actually happened that they both advanced to that point the one time in ‘14 if I recall. But still, the idea of your proverbial “conference bully” looming again sucks.

Just gotta be ready to take on anyone, anywhere.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

8 first team all conference players for the Spartans.
3 second teamers and 1 honorable mention.

Ryan Kennedy defensive player of the year.
Ben Mayer rookie of the year.
Child’s named coach of the year.

Congrats and well earned.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Great job by the entire team but these accolades are very well deserved. If you are a young lacrosse player and want to be apart of a great culture Childs has done a terrific job providing that at York.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Or go to Lynchburg where that culture was born and bred by Coach K…🥸
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:02 am Or go to Lynchburg where that culture was born and bred by Coach K…🥸
Ok, but this is a York lacrosse thread. maybe start a thread about Lynchburg if you want.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Point taken.No disrespect. Big fan of York. Childs is loved by LYN fans.
Hope both make it thru and they meet 5/21
They used to schedule each other regularly. Hoping they meet again next year at the Mustang.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

No worries, Lynchburg was fun to watch this year. I would love to see them beat Union. Good Luck.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Following York the past five years I believed that this year might get them to a final 4. Only 2 losses this year RIT and Salisbury. They will cruise thru the tourney until the CNU game and then it’s over. Both York and CNU programs have made great strides pretty quickly and overtaken a number of schools that were historically “ better”. I have to give CNU due to their ( what is it 10 fifth year players) a significant edge in that match up. Haven’t been a 5th year fan but it’s really propelled SJF and CNU forward this year above and beyond where they might normally be. York had some nice wins this year but not as dominant in those victories as I might have thought, W&L, Stevenson , Lynchburg. The CNU game should be one of the best match ups in the tournament two excellent coaches with talented teams
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:47 am Following York the past five years I believed that this year might get them to a final 4. Only 2 losses this year RIT and Salisbury. They will cruise thru the tourney until the CNU game and then it’s over. Both York and CNU programs have made great strides pretty quickly and overtaken a number of schools that were historically “ better”. I have to give CNU due to their ( what is it 10 fifth year players) a significant edge in that match up. Haven’t been a 5th year fan but it’s really propelled SJF and CNU forward this year above and beyond where they might normally be. York had some nice wins this year but not as dominant in those victories as I might have thought, W&L, Stevenson , Lynchburg. The CNU game should be one of the best match ups in the tournament two excellent coaches with talented teams
I’m excited for things to get rolling here as well. Not looking past anybody, SoVA and potentially Denison/Grove City will be fun games to watch. As for CNU, you won’t find too many people betting against them versus anyone this season, but plenty of “teams of destiny” have fallen over the years. They’ve played each other (outside of the COVID seasons of 20/21) every year since 2011, sometimes twice, and York holds a 10-1 lead in the series. It’s not the same CNU, but the Spartans have evolved quite a bit themselves over that span. I’m hoping for a great game, should they both get there.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

:cry:
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:47 am Following York the past five years I believed that this year might get them to a final 4. Only 2 losses this year RIT and Salisbury. They will cruise thru the tourney until the CNU game and then it’s over. Both York and CNU programs have made great strides pretty quickly and overtaken a number of schools that were historically “ better”. I have to give CNU due to their ( what is it 10 fifth year players) a significant edge in that match up. Haven’t been a 5th year fan but it’s really propelled SJF and CNU forward this year above and beyond where they might normally be. York had some nice wins this year but not as dominant in those victories as I might have thought, W&L, Stevenson , Lynchburg. The CNU game should be one of the best match ups in the tournament two excellent coaches with talented teams

I believe the CNU/York scrimmage was a very good game. I believe CNU won it “unofficially” but both teams looked solid. Now at the end of the season, both teams have fixed their mistakes and comes down to who executes their game plan better.

People keep talking about their 9 (believe roster says 9) fifth year players. Only 4-5 of the players actually play and produce for the team, still a good amount, and some are All-Americans, but it does help them get the added boost this season and the results show.

Should be a great NCAA tournament.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

It may have already been mentioned so I apologize if I’m being redundant, but does anyone know why the York pod is starting today?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 am It may have already been mentioned so I apologize if I’m being redundant, but does anyone know why the York pod is starting today?
SoVA has religious observances on Sunday.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:08 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 am It may have already been mentioned so I apologize if I’m being redundant, but does anyone know why the York pod is starting today?
SoVA has religious observances on Sunday.
Gotcha. Wonder what would happen if they made it to championship weekend… guessing it won’t come up.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Any current students or parents here? Can you tell me if students still have to wear masks on campus indoors?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Congrats to Ryan Kennedy as he has been signed by the PLL Redwoods. The first team AA D pole appeared on this year’s Tewaaraton watchlist and has amassed record book stats for the Spartans.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

The boys certainly were focused last night as they dominated in every aspect of the game as Vinny won 9 of the First 10 faceoffs against Denison’s All American. The offense was fluid and dangerous and Jack Grayson was simple awesome both shooting and feeding as he had 7 points. Moving Jacob Wilhelm to the attack has really solidified the offense. There is not much to say about the defense 1 goal against in three quarters. The team was great on ball and their slides were well timed. Jack Michael was a wall as the last line of defense. This may have been the best team win of the season. Now they get an extra day of rest and get to watch the games today and get ready for the quarters.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The Spartans roll into their fourth consecutive elite 8 appearance, after clicking on all cylinders and laying waste to a talented Denison squad, they now stare down the barrel of highly touted CNU.

A key for York’s success will be effectively slowing the pace. This would have to start in the face-off circle. Facciponti is no slouch, posting a .648 this season for the Spartans. Cabaniss sits at .666 for CNU this season. Faceoffs are a unique position in that some can matchup better against others, with averages and accolades often not always being a great determining factor for a future match, but best we can do is look at common opponents;
Facciponti Vs Cabaniss
G’burg. 55%. Vs 66%
W&L. 77%. Vs 54%
SVA. 66%. Vs 65%
Salisbury. 61%. Vs 69%/66%

York will need strong LSM and SSDM play to assist in controlling possession from each draw, or slow any fast breaks from developing. Greene and Bruno are plenty equipped for the task. At 6’5” LSM Greene provides a physical presence and, in addition to his 18 caused turnovers, he has gobbled up 78 ground balls. SSDM Bruno comes in strong as well with 28 gbs and 10 cts.

Should they contain CNU’s rush offense, the Spartan’s close D is among the best in the country and are plenty stout enough to slow CNU’s set offensive production. Jack Michael backstopping them with a .56 save% is also more than capable.

On the offensive side, freshman Ben Mayer enters the game just two points shy of tying the single season points record for the Spartans (Pfeiffer 19’). And the shift of Wilhelm’s size back to attack and Clark’s speed up to midfield, has bumped their offensive production across the board. The positional flexibility will likely continue to be utilized for best matchups.

To those penciling in CNU for a final four appearance, don’t count the Spartans out just yet.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I was able to see the York CNU scrimmage early in the season. It was so long ago that I am not sure that you can take much out of it but I will say that in feel like one of the biggest areas of growth from the early season to now is the defense. Blackmon after some early issues has really locked down that 3rd close spot and has given Ethan Greene the freedom to really focus on LSM and has become an excellent pole and should be one of if not the best returning LSM in the country, pair him up with Marty Mancuso and you have quite a dynamic duo.
Noah Bruno was a known at the ssdm spot but, Zach Mentzer, Jackson Shields and Hayden Sock have developed into a solid ssdm unit.

The offense has been really good but has elevated itself with the switch of Wilhelm to attack and Clark to middie. Clark gets to use his speed in fro t of the goal and against short sticks while Wilhelm become another strong carrier of the ball who can finish in front. I also love the emergence of Jack Grayson at the midfield, his speed and quickness is a change of pace for York when he is paired with Wolf, Ranck and or Reynolds.
It is going to be HOT on Saturday which will force both teams to use their bench.
All that being said I think that CNU is very good and York will have to play their best and most complete game to win
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Great win for York! Facciponti was dominant for much of the first half, allowing York to play their game. Jack Michael had some huge door step saves in the first half as well, allowing York’s lead to grow. And although CNU had a few close calls in OT, they never held a lead until about 6 minutes left in the game. Despite the numbers next to the teams coming in to it, this was York’s game to lose from the first goal on. They imposed their will and pulled it out.

First ever final four coming up.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:23 pm Great win for York! Facciponti was dominant for much of the first half, allowing York to play their game. Jack Michael had some huge door step saves in the first half as well, allowing York’s lead to grow. And although CNU had a few close calls in OT, they never held a lead until about 6 minutes left in the game. Despite the numbers next to the teams coming in to it, this was York’s game to lose from the first goal on. They imposed their will and pulled it out.

First ever final four coming up.
I hope you get that feeling for your team getting to next weekend and the possibility of winning it all. It's a fabulous feeling for the first ONE! I know what it was like when Cabrini won it! Good luck tomorrow!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”