Cosida Academic All-Americans

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Cosida Academic All-Americans

Post by Dr. Tact »

First round of AAAs drop tomorrow (All-Districts). The Women/Men lacrosse candidates fall in the "M/W At-Large" category.

Last year (19-20), in the final Academic All-Americans there were 4 Women Lacrosse players that made first-third Teams out of 46 awarded. At-Large included Swimming, Tennis, Field Hockey, Fencing, Golf, Rifle, Ice Hockey, Crew, Gymnastics, Beach Volleyball and Lacrosse.
  • * Katie Hoeg (UNC) - 3.79 Biology
    * Sammy Mueller (UVA) - 3.71 Commerce
    * Carly Tellekamp (Towson) - 4.0 Teaching Special Education
    * Dana Joss (Longwood) - 4.0 History
I find this AAA selection interesting because it takes a high level of athletic performance along with the academics to be nominated. Tomorrow's announcement is just the first round, but it will be eye opening to me to see the District awards and who has that other off-field aspect of student athlete.
seacoaster

Re: Cosida Academic All-Americans

Post by seacoaster »

Very nice. She'd do the work anyway, but the recognition is good. Congrats; you musta married well brother!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:50 pm
Very nice. She'd do the work anyway, but the recognition is good. Congrats; you musta married well brother!
It isn't about me crowing (although I guess I could). I truly am amazed at the majors and GPAs of these athletes. This side of the student should be recognized more often. Now, not all schools are the same academically, but some of those majors must really be tough to get 3.8+ GPAs and play a sport.

Congrats to all listed.

What I noticed was that there were no Women's Lacrosse AAAs (1st round) from the high Academics/high Lax schools - UNC, UVA, Duke, Hop, ND, NW, Stanford, Cuse (?). I know, no Ivies because they didnt play.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:50 pm Congrats; you musta married well brother!
Insert plumber, milkman, mailman, butcher joke here.....
mdlaxfan

Post by mdlaxfan »

[/quote]

What I noticed was that there were no Women's Lacrosse AAAs (1st round) from the high Academics/high Lax schools - UNC, UVA, Duke, Hop, ND, NW, Stanford, Cuse (?). I know, no Ivies because they didnt play.
[/quote]

I wonder why that is. According to the Big Ten & ACC awards, there were plenty of great players in those two conferences who maintained high GPAs this past year. Lauren Gilbert had a 4.0, for example.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

mdlaxfan wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:13 pm I wonder why that is. According to the Big Ten & ACC awards, there were plenty of great players in those two conferences who maintained high GPAs this past year. Lauren Gilbert had a 4.0, for example.
I know, right? Seems odd that none of those schools had one first round athlete....Sammy Mueller was First team last year, did her academics suddenly drop? I bet it didnt.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Wonder why they (CoSIDA) thinks so little of women's lacrosse that they don't even get recognized on their own. Women's lacrosse is lumped in with At-Large Teams.
mdlaxfan

Post by mdlaxfan »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:18 pm
mdlaxfan wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:13 pm I wonder why that is. According to the Big Ten & ACC awards, there were plenty of great players in those two conferences who maintained high GPAs this past year. Lauren Gilbert had a 4.0, for example.
I know, right? Seems odd that none of those schools had one first round athlete....Sammy Mueller was First team last year, did her academics suddenly drop? I bet it didnt.
Here's another example. Mikaela Watson from Stanford is the IWLCA D1 Scholar Athlete of the year and she is not on this list.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I'm still bothered by what the NFL did to Dr. Myron Rolle. Things worked out fine for him, but he was never given the opportunity in the NFL that he should have gotten, because he thought being outstanding in the classroom was just as important as being outstanding on the Field.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:02 pm I'm still bothered by what the NFL did to Dr. Myron Rolle. Things worked out fine for him, but he was never given the opportunity in the NFL that he should have gotten, because he thought being outstanding in the classroom was just as important as being outstanding on the Field.
The AllAmerican website has Dr. Myron as a HOF inductee this year

https://academicallamerica.com/hof.aspx ... finduction
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:53 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:02 pm I'm still bothered by what the NFL did to Dr. Myron Rolle. Things worked out fine for him, but he was never given the opportunity in the NFL that he should have gotten, because he thought being outstanding in the classroom was just as important as being outstanding on the Field.
The AllAmerican website has Dr. Myron as a HOF inductee this year

https://academicallamerica.com/hof.aspx ... finduction
I saw that. I totally respect that the NFL debacle didn't ruin him. He will do far more as a Doctor than he would have done as an NFL player.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

And the Academic All-America team is announced.

https://academicallamerica.com/news/20 ... unced.aspx]

4 Lacrosse Players in the 45.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:53 pm And the Academic All-America team is announced.

https://academicallamerica.com/news/20 ... unced.aspx]

4 Lacrosse Players in the 45.
Cheers Doc!! Congratulations
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Congrats, to your daughter doc. Well done!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:08 pm Cheers Doc!! Congratulations
LaxDad23 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:30 pm Congrats, to your daughter doc. Well done!
It is all her....I barely got out of college - fraternity, girls, swim team and Architecture school (in no order) nearly killed me.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:39 am
LaxDad23 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:30 pm Congrats, to your daughter doc. Well done!
It is all her....I barely got out of college - fraternity, girls, swim team and Architecture school (in no order) nearly killed me.
well done. In Biology as well. Labs always complicate things
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ha, do they ever! I couldn't keep up with fruit flies in Biology 101 and play lacrosse at the same time and this gal carries a 4.0 average while playing at a pretty darn high level. I've found this to be mighty impressive since I learned of it a couple of years back. Congrats Dr. and D. You must've married a smart gal, Dr. ;)
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:44 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:39 am
well done. In Biology as well. Labs always complicate things
They really do, even more of an accomplishment. Doc, I'm assuming the coaching staff was supportive of her major? Which I really think is fantastic. Doesn't always happen with majors that require lab or clinical hours.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”