Ron Desantis (The Desantis Doctrine)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Ron Desantis (The Desantis Doctrine)

Post by old salt »

DeSantis may be bitter, but he's not inaccurate in his critique of Trump.

IMHO, a DeSantis - Haley ticket would have been much more electable.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:43 pm DeSantis may be bitter, but he's not inaccurate in his critique of Trump.

I don’t think Haley has a spine and I don’t think deSantis would have been good for the country in many ways, but both would have been better than Trump…and, yes, Haley in particular would have had a good shot at winning.

And she’d have likely fulfilled her role well within norms and bounds of our constitutional democracy and republic.

Less confident in DeSantis having done so as he’s such a flaming ideologue apparently.

But either would have been better than Trump would be.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:00 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:43 pm DeSantis may be bitter, but he's not inaccurate in his critique of Trump.

I don’t think Haley has a spine and I don’t think deSantis would have been good for the country in many ways, but both would have been better than Trump…and, yes, Haley in particular would have had a good shot at winning.

And she’d have likely fulfilled her role well within norms and bounds of our constitutional democracy and republic.

Less confident in DeSantis having done so as he’s such a flaming ideologue apparently.

Would you prefer them over another 4 years of Biden-Harris ? ...or Biden 2yrs then Harris 2 yrs, which is a realistic possibility ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Haley-Desantis I’d consider. Desantis-Haley I’d sit the election out even in this swing state. Incumbent or not and even if there was never any explicit aspects to one and done for Biden I never expected or wanted two terms with him. I feel like, all the deep issues with the Republicans I think the Democrats owed the public more of an effort to at least explore an alternative nominee or transition. Totally not surprised the dudes not going anywhere but one day it deserves its own evaluation and deconstruction. If we really go back in time he was a transitional seat warmer while we stabilize the disaster things had become under that fat prick. Not like an actual “real” president. Now everyone has the memory of Trump in a deposition as to that it seems.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:27 pm

Would you prefer them over another 4 years of Biden-Harris ? ...or Biden 2yrs then Harris 2 yrs, which is a realistic possibility ?
If the GOP actually rejected and dumped Trump, which is the only scenario in which Haley could be the candidate I’d pull the lever for. Didn’t happen and she promised to support Trump if he wins and to pardon him if she has the power, no matter how egregious the crime.

So, my scenario ain’t happening.

Not willing to do so had DeSantis been the choice, with the only reason being Trump is too distracted by crimes. Fascist behavior in Florida violates my principles. Tried way too hard to be MAGA.

And I want that strain of nativist, sexist, racist extremist elements washed out of the power structure. Get back to figuring out how to appeal to moderates while governing carefully.

So, until that happens the GOP can’t be trusted. Even if I’d prefer better than the Biden Harris’s scenarios another 4 years. Take them on with a moderate in 2028.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:17 pm

If the GOP actually rejected and dumped Trump, which is the only scenario in which Haley could be the candidate I’d pull the lever for. Didn’t happen and she promised to support Trump if he wins and to pardon him if she has the power, no matter how egregious the crime.

Not willing to do so had DeSantis been the choice, with the only reason being Trump is too distracted by crimes. Fascist behavior in Florida violates my principles. Tried way too hard to be MAGA.

And I want that strain of nativist, sexist, racist extremist elements washed out of the power structure. Get back to figuring out how to appeal to moderates while governing carefully.

So, until that happens the GOP can’t be trusted. Even if I’d prefer better than the Biden Harris’s scenarios another 4 years. Take them on with a moderate in 2028.
That seems like a dodge. If the Dem lawfare strategy succeeds so much that Trump is denied the (R) nomination, for whatever reason, & Haley becomes the (R) nominee, would you vote for her over Biden. Can you give an unconditional yes or no answer ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:24 pm

That seems like a dodge. If the Dem lawfare strategy succeeds so much that Trump is denied the (R) nomination, for whatever reason, & Haley becomes the (R) nominee, would you vote for her over Biden. Can you give an unconditional yes or no answer ?
First, it isn’t “the Dem law fare strategy”, it’s the rule of law in a constitutional democratic republic. And your snide characterization is exactly the problem.

Second, no, unless she repudiated Trump and his criminality and wins because GOP voters agree. Big Unless.

And it’s almost impossible for her to do so, having promised to pardon him…if she takes that back and the GOP chooses that path, I’d definitely consider it. But ain’t happening. I don’t think she has the spine and moral compass, and two thirds of GOP voters aren’t there.

MAGA needs full repudiation and I think that’s going to take more pain at the ballot box.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:41 pm

First, it isn’t “the Dem law fare strategy”, it’s the rule of law in a constitutional democratic republic. And your snide characterization is exactly the problem.

Second, no, unless she repudiated Trump and his criminality and wins because GOP voters agree. Big Unless.

And it’s almost impossible for her to do so, having promised to pardon him…if she takes that back and the GOP chooses that path, I’d definitely consider it. But ain’t happening. I don’t think she has the spine and moral compass, and two thirds of GOP voters aren’t there.

MAGA needs full repudiation and I think that’s going to take more pain at the ballot box.
Obviously MD more of those MAGA Republicans should read this forum so you can educate them to the errors of their ways. If only they knew the harm they were causing? :D They are desperately in need of a political come to Jesus moment. Still no chance you'll get the keynote speaker gig at the RNC? That would be a hoot.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Thanks for your contribution to the discourse. So helpful.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MAGA needs full repudiation
Heard that quite a bit round these parts. It's an interesting sliver of a comment from the left, to say the least.
It's been dialed back a smidge from the "reprogramming centers" we heard were required for Trump supporters two years ago, but the idea is the same.
Crazy the pent up anger over a guy who has been out of office for a few years. And beaten in the ballot boxes two times now. He should be on Spider's "pay no mind" list.

:?:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:09 am Thanks for your contribution to the discourse. So helpful.
No problemo big guy. Would you prefer I leave all of the discourse to you? That could be interpreted as you being a tad bit greedy. ;) I think your bitter knowing you'll never get the keynote speaker gig. I don't mean to pile onto the discourse but honestly, it really would be a hoot. I would watch it until you wound up being on the receiving end of a bums rush. :D

Hold the phone, were you being sarcastic?? ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:11 am

Obviously MD more of those MAGA Republicans should read this forum so you can educate them to the errors of their ways. If only they knew the harm they were causing? :D They are desperately in need of a political come to Jesus moment. Still no chance you'll get the keynote speaker gig at the RNC? That would be a hoot.
Look at the New Hampshire primary. He's losing more than he's picking up by the day. It's very clear. Only thing one cant account for is voter intimidation/denial of access and the electoral college but pretty easy to see he will fare worse on the raw numbers.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:52 am
Heard that quite a bit round these parts. It's an interesting sliver of a comment from the left, to say the least.
It's been dialed back a smidge from the "reprogramming centers" we heard were required for Trump supporters two years ago, but the idea is the same.
Crazy the pent up anger over a guy who has been out of office for a few years. And beaten in the ballot boxes two times now. He should be on Spider's "pay no mind" list.

Im not saying it's incorrect but I talk to a lot of people and read some stuff and never once heard or say anyting about reporgramming centers. That's soem Brooklyn stuff but not braodly around.

Cant say he's been out of office when every other politican has orbited him and he's now the clear nominee for the THIRD time. No reagan or any othe republican has seen that. Ever.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

There was some talk about it around here after the Jan 6 debacle. Hillary was talking about it this fall. Then Biden calls Trump supporters "Maga Republicans" on the campaign stump.

That was 74M voters in 2020. And Hillary wants to reprogram them? Petty consistent messaging from the leaders and mouthpieces of the left.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... tm-vpx.cnn
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:30 pm There was some talk about it around here after the Jan 6 debacle. Hillary was talking about it this fall. Then Biden calls Trump supporters "Maga Republicans" on the campaign stump.

That was 74M voters in 2020. And Hillary wants to reprogram them? Petty consistent messaging from the leaders and mouthpieces of the left.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... tm-vpx.cnn
I dont think Hillary is representative of the left. I don't see pretty consistent messaging of reprogramming. Are you sure you aren't looking for this stuff on purpose?

Do I think theres some arrogant, out of touch and effete, faux intellectuals in your coastal cities that think like this? Yes. Do I think they represent more or less than the extreme sycophant/acolyte trump crowd? Less. And are less impactful on society by a large margin than ones willing to break into the capitol.

But what you are showing me here doesn't reflect broadbased commentary just a bitter losing woman who sucks anyways being a dbag. There's a mirror here where this claim of mistreatment suppsoedly by the right is broad based but I don't see it being around plenty of the people described as perpetrators of this.

The beauty of being generally in the true middle like myself (and I'd love to hear accusations otherwise since I've gotten after it as much with Brooklyn as I have with Peter Brown) is that this is all dumb. You all on both "sides" behave far to monolithically.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Perhaps it is just me. Of course the MIL and left I have orbiting me all worship Hillary (like pictures of her up in their home) and have some pretty far out ideas...

:?
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:12 pm Perhaps it is just me. Of course the MIL and left I have orbiting me all worship Hillary (like pictures of her up in their home) and have some pretty far out ideas...

They're left of YOU, Kram. You'll do yourself a favor if you recognize that there are MILLIONS of us in the Center, and that you have to go a long way away from your values before you pass the center, and hit the ACTUAL left.

And Kram? Hillary is center right. Check out her policies and rhetoric from 2016. It's center right. She's a neo-con, just like Biden.

Bernie is center left, if that helps. You'd have to go VERY deep down the Federal Dem roster to find a REAL lefty.

Or Big Cities. We have lefties on Denver City Council, and on our school board. I don't agree with much of anything they propose.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:52 am

:lol: Holy F, Kram. The man is your party's leader, and is just weeks away from being your former (thank you for clarifying) Party's nominee for President...and is leading Biden in polls.

And you think that we should "ignore him"? Kramer, you're not making a lick of sense here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:12 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:12 pm Perhaps it is just me. Of course the MIL and left I have orbiting me all worship Hillary (like pictures of her up in their home) and have some pretty far out ideas...

They're left of YOU, Kram. You'll do yourself a favor if you recognize that there are MILLIONS of us in the Center, and that you have to go a long way away from your values before you pass the center, and hit the ACTUAL left.

And Kram? Hillary is center right. Check out her policies and rhetoric from 2016. It's center right. She's a neo-con, just like Biden.

Bernie is center left, if that helps. You'd have to go VERY deep down the Federal Dem roster to find a REAL lefty.

Or Big Cities. We have lefties on Denver City Council, and on our school board. I don't agree with much of anything they propose.
Bernie being "center left" is a bridge too far for me here. You were on a roll until that.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:12 pm

Your political axis has hit a wobble there, friend.

You can use triangulation as much as you want to try and shift the political spectrum. But Bernie is not center left. And Hillary is still not "center right." Continually repeating your unique opinion of the political spectrum does not make it so.

Hillary is a moderate democrat for sure. But that still puts her right of center left. And clearly on the left side of the axis.

Return to “POLITICS”