Atlantic Coast Conference

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Atlantic Coast Conference

Post by Cletus »

So it’s official. The Clemson Tigers are adding women’s lacrosse as a varsity program in 2022-23. That will bring the total number of teams competing in the ACC to 10.

https://twitter.com/theacc/status/14055 ... 46341?s=21

54A4C075-482E-44D6-94AC-03647BE003FD.jpeg
54A4C075-482E-44D6-94AC-03647BE003FD.jpeg (105.71 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Last edited by Cletus on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNLAX

Re: Atlantic Coast Conference

Post by TNLAX »

Does this help or hurt the women's game? Depending on how the league is set up, it will greatly impact teams all over the country. The ACC teams will have fewer out of conference games most likely, meaning that teams that had played ACC in out of conference games will no longer have the ability now. So teams that had BC, UNC, Duke Syracuse etc. on their scheduled may have a void and they may have to fill those games with lower quality opponent's hurting their strength of schedule and impacting possible bids to the NCAA.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:37 pm Does this help or hurt the women's game? Depending on how the league is set up, it will greatly impact teams all over the country. The ACC teams will have fewer out of conference games most likely, meaning that teams that had played ACC in out of conference games will no longer have the ability now. So teams that had BC, UNC, Duke Syracuse etc. on their scheduled may have a void and they may have to fill those games with lower quality opponent's hurting their strength of schedule and impacting possible bids to the NCAA.
Good points, TN. That's two more games per year playing Pitt and Clemson rather than, I don't know, Albany and Hofstra. Which means more travel miles within conference. I think lacrosse is going so well these days that the future harvests will be so plenteous that schools will get better and better as time goes on. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

With ten teams in 2023, how would you arrange the ACC championship playoff format?
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Going from 9 teams to 10 shouldn't change the tournament format too much. Going from 8 to 9 this year is going to shake things up...

9 in-conference games is a lot. I wonder if the ACC will separate into regional pods. It's pretty clear what those would be based on geography (southern pod would be UVA, VT, UNC, Duke, Clemson; everyone else racking up airline miles in the other one). Maybe play everyone in your pod every year and rotate through the other pod?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:51 pm Going from 9 teams to 10 shouldn't change the tournament format too much. Going from 8 to 9 this year is going to shake things up...

9 in-conference games is a lot. I wonder if the ACC will separate into regional pods. It's pretty clear what those would be based on geography (southern pod would be UVA, VT, UNC, Duke, Clemson; everyone else racking up airline miles in the other one). Maybe play everyone in your pod every year and rotate through the other pod?
Would they do anything different than the A10 and Patriot? They both have 10 teams. I’d like to see the running of the gauntlet vs the 9 other teams each year.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

If one is to examine the playoff format of the two conferences that have 10 teams--the Atlantic 10 and Patriot League--it makes it interesting to ponder what kind of playoff format the ACC will adopt in 2023.

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Seeing that the Pitt Panthers will begin play in 2022, that's one more easy win for pretty much everyone in the ACC. Yet beating Pitt will have a benefit for teams out of conference because of RPI where as we all know there are "good and bad losses" and "good and bad wins" and such. For outside conference games, anyone playing Pitt will benefit. Pitt plays BC, Carolina, Syracuse, Duke et al. in conference. I have to think that outside conference teams will covet games vs Pitt when the schedules get made up for 2022.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:42 am Seeing that the Pitt Panthers will begin play in 2022, that's one more easy win for pretty much everyone in the ACC. Yet beating Pitt will have a benefit for teams out of conference because of RPI where as we all know there are "good and bad losses" and "good and bad wins" and such. For outside conference games, anyone playing Pitt will benefit. Pitt plays BC, Carolina, Syracuse, Duke et al. in conference. I have to think that outside conference teams will covet games vs Pitt when the schedules get made up for 2022.
Why are you so sure pit will suck? They picked up some good transfers they’ve been practicing for an entire year with no pressure. Just gelling as a team and learning from some of the best. Do you have to remember teams like Syracuse they don’t even have a goalie right now because nobody ever got a chance in it besides gold stock
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cagekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:55 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:42 am Seeing that the Pitt Panthers will begin play in 2022, that's one more easy win for pretty much everyone in the ACC. Yet beating Pitt will have a benefit for teams out of conference because of RPI where as we all know there are "good and bad losses" and "good and bad wins" and such. For outside conference games, anyone playing Pitt will benefit. Pitt plays BC, Carolina, Syracuse, Duke et al. in conference. I have to think that outside conference teams will covet games vs Pitt when the schedules get made up for 2022.
Why are you so sure pit will suck? They picked up some good transfers they’ve been practicing for an entire year with no pressure. Just gelling as a team and learning from some of the best. Do you have to remember teams like Syracuse they don’t even have a goalie right now because nobody ever got a chance in it besides gold stock
I don’t recall saying they would suck, but it typically takes a new team a while to learn how to win. Practice and real game play are completely different things.

I didn’t know Goldstock wasn’t coming back for sure, or maybe I forgot, but you’re right—that makes life more uncertain for the Orange next year.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:09 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:55 am
I don’t recall saying they would suck, but it typically takes a new team a while to learn how to win. Practice and real game play are completely different things.

I didn’t know Goldstock wasn’t coming back for sure, or maybe I forgot, but you’re right—that makes life more uncertain for the Orange next year.
No you are correct you didn’t. You just called them an easy win. Gold stock has no eligibility left and no other goalie had an opportunity to step in net. So they are starting as fresh as anybody else. And it will be interesting to see if a new coach changes the starting lineup at all
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Cuse picked up very good back-up UNC goalie via transfer so they will be in good hands for 2 years.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am Cuse picked up very good back-up UNC goalie via transfer so they will be in good hands for 2 years.
They have FOUR goalies. What would they possibly do that for
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am Cuse picked up very good back-up UNC goalie via transfer so they will be in good hands for 2 years.

Who? And how do you know this back-up is "very good" and will have Syracuse "in good hands for 2 years"? Never assume that where she comes from is somehow evidence of her being good, and thus she will be good at this other place.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cagekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am Goldstock has no eligibility left and no other goalie had an opportunity to step in net. So they are starting as fresh as anybody else. And it will be interesting to see if a new coach changes the starting lineup at all
Both intriguing things to look forward to watching in 2022. If you had to guess, how would you say Syracuse ends up doing in goal?
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Kimber Hower?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxstan8 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:51 pm
Kimber Hower?
There are five goaltenders listed on last year‘s Syracuse 2021 roster: Goldstock (SR), Avery (SO), Van Middelem (SR), Paulson (FY) and Concordia (FY). I’m not disputing your point but when did they pick her up?
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:19 pm
Kimber Hower?
There are five goaltenders listed on last year‘s Syracuse 2021 roster: Goldstock (SR), Avery (SO), Van Middelem (SR), Paulson (FY) and Concordia (FY). I’m not disputing your point but when did they pick her up?
Lax101 said transfer so this offseason? I don't see news on it tho.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Kimber Hower?
Here's Hower's NC page

https://goheels.com/sports/womens-lacro ... ower/22222

So it will be Hower, and these current 4 goalies until we hear different.

glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:35 pm
Kimber Hower?
Here's Hower's NC page

How did you hear this?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:35 pm
Kimber Hower?
Here's Hower's NC page

How did you hear this?
Earlier in this thread. I’m assuming these are the players who will vie for a starting backstop job. It may be that the faces are different come fall and next winter.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”