Future DI Programs Getting Lacrosse-Only Venues?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Future DI Programs Getting Lacrosse-Only Venues?

Post by gymman1031 »

I do believe that Ohio State is currently in the process of raising money to do so. Hopefully, it happens soon. Any word for any other schools possibly getting lax-only venues someday?
InsiderRoll

Re: Future DI Programs Getting Lacrosse-Only Venues?

Post by InsiderRoll »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 pm I do believe that Ohio State is currently in the process of raising money to do so. Hopefully, it happens soon. Any word for any other schools possibly getting lax-only venues someday?
It would seem that mostly the big football schools have put out money for lacrosse only. I’m sure I’m forgetting someone.

Hofstra - James M. Shuart Stadium - became lacrosse only when the school dropped football.
UMass - Garber Field - Currently lacrosse only… I think.
Denver - Peter Barton Stadium
Notre Dame - Arlotta Stadium
Michigan - Michigan Lacrosse Stadium
Penn State - Panzer Stadium
Ohio State - Approved and in fundraising stage.
Princeton - Class of 1952 Stadium currently also holds soccer, but a soccer stadium is in the works making ‘52 lacrosse only in the near future.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I think he was asking who is building a lax only stadium, not who has one. As for who has one, those are all good. Fairfield’s is beautiful. Who though is going to build one who already has lax and a dual use stadium, that’s the question.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:36 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 pm I do believe that Ohio State is currently in the process of raising money to do so. Hopefully, it happens soon. Any word for any other schools possibly getting lax-only venues someday?
It would seem that mostly the big football schools have put out money for lacrosse only. I’m sure I’m forgetting someone.

Hofstra - James M. Shuart Stadium - became lacrosse only when the school dropped football.
Princeton - Class of 1952 Stadium currently also holds soccer, but a soccer stadium is in the works making ‘52 lacrosse only in the near future.
Dartmouth Sculley-Fahey Field is shared by men's and women's lacrosse only
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it would rarely if ever make sense to do lax only vs soccer and lax. you could get twice the bells and whistles, bang for your buck.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:03 pm I think he was asking who is building a lax only stadium, not who has one. As for who has one, those are all good. Fairfield’s is beautiful. Who though is going to build one who already has lax and a dual use stadium, that’s the question.
Fair enough. After Covid-19s effect on the financials of most athletic departments you’ll be hard pressed to see the construction of many lacrosse only facilities.

UNC just built a new stadium for LAX/Soccer
Duke has put some money into koskinen and are unlikely to build a new one
UVA isn’t getting rid of Klockner. Plus there are some $ issues there for capital projects.
CUSE isn’t gonna stop playing in the dome.
Rutgers isn’t building one anytime soon.
Hopkins won’t push football out of Homewood (plus where would you build?)
Army/Navy I could see it, but I think they and their alums like the football stadiums.
IVY - Good luck getting approval to build something new that doesn’t serve multiple sports.
Big East - I could only see Marquette, and would they actually get use from it?

Beyond that I don’t see anyone else being able to afford new construction for “lacrosse only”.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:51 pm it would rarely if ever make sense to do lax only vs soccer and lax. you could get twice the bells and whistles, bang for your buck.
True.
That said, Dartmouth has Sculley-Fahey Field-Lacrosse only, Burnham Field-Soccer only, and Chase-Astroturf-Field Hockey only, along with Memorial Stadium which has football and track. And the Rugby team has a heck of facility and field, Corey Ford Rugby Clubhouse and field.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:56 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:03 pm I think he was asking who is building a lax only stadium, not who has one. As for who has one, those are all good. Fairfield’s is beautiful. Who though is going to build one who already has lax and a dual use stadium, that’s the question.
Fair enough. After Covid-19s effect on the financials of most athletic departments you’ll be hard pressed to see the construction of many lacrosse only facilities.

UVA isn’t getting rid of Klockner. Plus there are some $ issues there for capital projects.
Army/Navy I could see it, but I think they and their alums like the football stadiums.
IVY - Good luck getting approval to build something new that doesn’t serve multiple sports.

Beyond that I don’t see anyone else being able to afford new construction for “lacrosse only”.
Actually, pretty sure Rutgers has plans to build a lacrosse Stadium.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Keep in mind the revenue pressures of many municipalities where a number of colleges exist where they can’t afford to take more property off tax rolls, even in towns like Princeton or C’Ville so many colleges can’t physically expand their footprint unless they get jammed with PILOT or other perpetual payments which if universities ever used proper accounting and transfer pricing would be extremely expensive on an ongoing basis. Hard to justify any single sport new structures that aren’t tied to very observable direct revenue generation.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:49 pm

Hadn’t heard that, there’s usually several long years between pipe dream, then approval to fundraise, then actual fundraising, then construction. They’re still on pipe dream. Surprised they don’t try and play Big Ten games in Yurcak, considering it’s named after a lacrosse player.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Hadn’t heard that, there’s usually several long years between pipe dream, then approval to fundraise, then actual fundraising, then construction. They’re still on pipe dream. Surprised they don’t try and play Big Ten gamesy in Yurcak, considering it’s named after a lacrosse player.
So you hadn’t heard. That’s fair. Then you said “they’re on pipe dream” after admitting you don’t know. They aren’t on pipe dream. They’re past that
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:28 pm

Hadn’t heard that, there’s usually several long years between pipe dream, then approval to fundraise, then actual fundraising, then construction. They’re still on pipe dream. Surprised they don’t try and play Big Ten gamesy in Yurcak, considering it’s named after a lacrosse player.
So you hadn’t heard. That’s fair. Then you said “they’re on pipe dream” after admitting you don’t know. They aren’t on pipe dream. They’re past that
Semantics - If they were approved to fundraise they'd put out a press release.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Just doing some digging, I'd be shocked if a lacrosse only stadium is happening anytime soon. The financial health of Rutgers athletics isn't great. 444million in debt, -121million in 2020. There are other articles citing their new performance center costing nearly $50mil more than they fundraised for.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewzimb ... c6c1a07fa5

Rutgers lacrosse will benefit from all the facilities, but something going on there isn't sustainable.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Half that list isn't "big football schools", FWIW. UMass is barely a D1 (FCS) program at this point, they're struggling on and off the field (looking at you too UConn!)
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

ckstevenson wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:21 am

Half that list isn't "big football schools", FWIW. UMass is barely a D1 (FCS) program at this point, they're struggling on and off the field (looking at you too UConn!)
Yes that is correct. But Denver is the only non football school to actually construct one solely for lacrosse. The rest have just had teams move off their field so their stadium became lacrosse only.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:38 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Just doing some digging, I'd be shocked if a lacrosse only stadium is happening anytime soon. The financial health of Rutgers athletics isn't great. 444million in debt, -121million in 2020. There are other articles citing their new performance center costing nearly $50mil more than they fundraised for.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewzimb ... c6c1a07fa5

Rutgers lacrosse will benefit from all the facilities, but something going on there isn't sustainable.
This is True. Rutgers (and MD under Debbie Yow not sure today) run their finances worse than Johnny Depp.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)

Post by 1766 »

I've posted this in the Rutgers thread but it's relevant here.

There are already plans for a lacrosse only stadium, with Yurcak being dedicated to soccer only. It will come in two phases with the first being what will be a practice field. The next phase will be the stadium build out around this. The turf will be laid in 22 sometime. People are pushing for prior to the season starting. The team will continue playing in the stadium until such time as the lacrosse only stadium is built. The team loves playing in the stadium so there is no anxiety there. This has long been part of the master planning. With Schiano back, things are getting quickly accelerated. A new football only facility, including an indoor practice facility, is also being designed. The Bubble will kept and used by the lacrosse team.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Loyola has a long term lease from Baltimore City on the property where their stadium is located…a former landfill. Joe B told me it 99 years I think. Don’t know if it morphed. No property was removed from the roles.

Hopkins lax raised the money to build an indoor facility but the administration wouldn’t move forward.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:19 pm I've posted this in the Rutgers thread but it's relevant here.

There are already plans for a lacrosse only stadium, with Yurcak being dedicated to soccer only. It will come in two phases with the first being what will be a practice field. The next phase will be the stadium build out around this. The turf will be laid in 22 sometime. People are pushing for prior to the season starting. The team will continue playing in the stadium until such time as the lacrosse only stadium is built. The team loves playing in the stadium so there is no anxiety there. This has long been part of the master planning. With Schiano back, things are getting quickly accelerated. A new football only facility, including an indoor practice facility, is also being designed. The Bubble will kept and used by the lacrosse team.
This doesn’t seem accurate. In March of 2020 Rutgers hired AECOM to develop a new master plan for all of athletics. Two days later covid cancelled the men’s basketball tournament. The AD is on record saying they took a 10 1/2 month pause on the design of their master plan. They are when last reached for comment now awaiting final plans. The priority was/is a new football operations facility, estimated to be $150million. The AD also said at least 1/2 of that would need to be privately fundraised in order to have the borrowed portion green lit. That’s going to take some time.

Rutgers is doing a great job, finances aside, but a lacrosse only stadium has to be at least 5-8 years out.
cbrass

Post by cbrass »

Navy has one of the best on campus sites in Rip Miller Field. They stopped using it and followed everyone else into football stadiums. The security of the Brigade of Midshipman argument doesn’t hold water seeing as most sports play on the yard. Rip Miller is right on the water, an amazing location to watch a game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”