Salisbury 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
tiger_fan

Re: Salisbury 2022

Post by tiger_fan »

RIT definitely does NOT provide more financial aid than Hobart.
Hobart tuition $60k room and board $17k per year, average award $20k
RIT tuition $50k room and board $14k, average award $20k
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

tiger_fan wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:55 am RIT definitely does NOT provide more financial aid than Hobart.
Hobart tuition $60k room and board $17k per year, average award $20k
RIT tuition $50k room and board $14k, average award $20k
I was referencing the way they package international financial aid, it’s very strong. Specifically their international merit aid. You don’t think all these Canadians are paying much do you? Canadians tend to go where the money is, college is free for them north of the border so for most it has to be a pretty sweet deal. Coon and co have a very favorable situation up there and they have really used it well. A few years ago Jake Coon told me if they went D1 he would be able to give out less money than they do now. There have been some newer changes in D1 aid rules that may no longer make that true, but in any case there are some Canadians at RIT paying $0 in tuition because of “academic merit” based aid. (Not saying they aren’t smart, saying that there are many D3 schools that abuse their merit based aid policies for athletics)
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

15-6
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Should have been 15 - 3 except for several uncharacteristic mistakes by the D. LYN moved the ball well but were just over powered.

Sandlin left a pair of Maroon & Gold size 25EEE cleats on the sideline. If Leeds can get his men focused to keep a top 10 opponent to 0 goals through 55 minutes, those cleats will have a new owner.
Last edited by MrLax2U on Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:07 pm Should have been 15 - 3 except for several uncharacteristic mistakes by the D. LYN moved the ball well but were just over powered.
Hiya MrLax … looks like Coach B has his troops in mid season form already. Good news for the Salisbury faithful…. not so much for the rest of us. Haha

Good luck to the Gulls the rest of the way … who knows, maybe we’ll see you guys again down the road!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Hi Ned,
Nice to be starting a new season and see you posting. Took a look at the Big Red schedule. Get past LYN @ the Mustang and Big Red should run the rest of their schedule and see you for the semis - again. Any tidbits you can share on your two new coaches?

Despite the score and my tongue in cheek post; LYN is fast, disciplined and well coached. Like Denison under Caravana. Their goalie is very good. He had 4/5 doorstep saves and never lost his composure. If this were game one for the Gulls in Lynchburg, the result might have been different. No matter the Stevenson score on 12 March - don't take LYN lightly. Good luck.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:35 pm Hi Ned,
Nice to be starting a new season and see you posting. Took a look at the Big Red schedule. Get past LYN @ the Mustang and Big Red should run the rest of their schedule and see you for the semis - again. Any tidbits you can share on your two new coaches?

Despite the score and my tongue in cheek post; LYN is fast, disciplined and well coached. Like Denison under Caravana. Their goalie is very good. He had 4/5 doorstep saves and never lost his composure. If this were game one for the Gulls in Lynchburg, the result might have been different. No matter the Stevenson score on 12 March - don't take LYN lightly. Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up but TBH … not necessary. As I posted on the NCAC thread, our next 3 games will ALL be challenging, I have us as underdogs in all 3. Looking at these games as “growth games” for what is a young Big Red team. As for the new coaching staff, I’m still getting to know them all myself. The next few games will give us a read on whether I should plan for another nice ride to the Md Eastern shore in May! If I’m being honest though, I think the Final Four will be a stretch - for this year at least. But hey, you never know!
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Congrats to the Gulls today! Lynchburg's offense looked tough vs. Cabrini, but the Gulls settled in on D and took care of business. If it weren't for a few impressive saves by the LYN goalie it could have been worse. Over 50% of the goals were assisted with multiple contributors scoring goals. Tighten up the clearing a bit and keep moving the ball. Some tough tests ahead, but overall they're definitely trending in the right direction.

GOGULLS!
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Go GULL'S!
Maggsedge

Post by Maggsedge »

Are we still panicking over assist stats? Time to realize salisbury is Salisbury. Excited for tomorrow vs Randolph Macon and see how gulls can rebound quickly.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Maggsedge wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:38 pm Are we still panicking over assist stats? Time to realize salisbury is Salisbury. Excited for tomorrow vs Randolph Macon and see how gulls can rebound quickly.
I assure you that the Gulls will need to continue to share the ball if they want to reach their goals this season.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Good game against a disciplined, fast, good stick work and well coached LYN team. Fogos, goalie and D firing on all cylinders.

Offense trying more plays but getting stymied by a stubborn Hornet D. All good and to be expected this early. Several suggestions.

Dowd and Ferrara invert at times. I would make it formal putting Dowd at Attack and Ferrara at Middie. Production for both would increase greatly. At Middie I see Ferrara playing like Sammy Bradman. Make his move and drive; draw a slide and dump it to an open man for the shot. He’d lead the team in assists and get his share of goals.

Dowd would be terrific at Attack. Just watch his moves.

I might do the same for Brom but I’d go with Dowd/Ferrara first.

I like Joe Carozza, 5’8” 240#. He’s playing EMO. I’d put him as high post.

Nestor has ball behind goal. Dowd (6’5”) and Brom (6’4”) from opposite wings cross; one in front Carozza and one behind sticks in the air looking for the pass and dump to either side of the crease and yelling “Give me the ball”. Carozza, an assassino with a light touch, spins and follows creeping straight down the alley stick in the air, silent as a tiger on a lamb. Bingo, Joe.

Try it Sunday on RMC.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

I like Joe Carozza, 5’8” 240#. He’s playing EMO. I’d put him as high?

So who do you pull off of attack? Thrasher the Crasher? Did you happen to see his play today? A box like hockey player with white glove hands! And when another Gull was cheap shotted who stepped up? 5 goals today, I am probably low. Leave the players alone and just let them have FUN! Move the ball and play the came.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

So who do you pull off of attack?
Sorry Pinch; I didn't mean to suggest pulling Thrasher. He's doing a great job and will probably be AA at the end of the season.

I would try inverting Ferrara and Dowd. They invert by themselves sometimes. Maybe against an unranked team to see if it jells.

I wouldn't start Carozza over Thrasher but when Carozza is on the field, I would try the double cross off a high post with the post trailing.
Leave the players alone and just let them have FUN! Move the ball and play the came.
Berkman is a HOF coach because he puts in the time and effort to coach and teach his players discipline. If there is anybody on the roster who wants to be left alone to have fun, there are plenty of colleges where men's lacrosse isn't taken so seriously. The other thing I'd mention is that Berkman has 00s of former players who are still active in the game at some level. It has to be because they still enjoy doing it.
Gulls4life

Post by Gulls4life »

MrLax2U wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:40 pm Good game against a disciplined, fast, good stick work and well coached LYN team. Fogos, goalie and D firing on all cylinders.

Offense trying more plays but getting stymied by a stubborn Hornet D. All good and to be expected this early. Several suggestions.

Dowd and Ferrara invert at times. I would make it formal putting Dowd at Attack and Ferrara at Middie. Production for both would increase greatly. At Middie I see Ferrara playing like Sammy Bradman. Make his move and drive; draw a slide and dump it to an open man for the shot. He’d lead the team in assists and get his share of goals.

Dowd would be terrific at Attack. Just watch his moves.

I might do the same for Brom but I’d go with Dowd/Ferrara first.

I like Joe Carozza, 5’8” 240#. He’s playing EMO. I’d put him as high post.

Nestor has ball behind goal. Dowd (6’5”) and Brom (6’4”) from opposite wings cross; one in front Carozza and one behind sticks in the air looking for the pass and dump to either side of the crease and yelling “Give me the ball”. Carozza, an assassino with a light touch, spins and follows creeping straight down the alley stick in the air, silent as a tiger on a lamb. Bingo, Joe.

Try it Sunday on RMC.
This wouldn’t happen. As a great of player as Cross is passing is not his strong suit. He has improved and shown he can a little more, but there are 3-4 guys who are better passers than he is. If he was put on midfield he would be dodging even more due to the fact that Salisbury is a midfield initiated offense. If this was the case I think Cross would have less assists than he would have on attack die to the fact he would have more chances to dodge shorties and more pressure to force things. A midfielder who is a good enough passer to lead a team like Salisbury in assists is so rare and hard to find a midfielder with the vision like that. Leave dowd and cross where they are it seems like they are figuring it out.
Maggsedge

Post by Maggsedge »

Score predictions for Sunday? Similar to Lynchburg or a closer game?

Thinking a lot better of a matchup and a much closer game than lynchburg game vs the Gulls.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

Nice to beat Stevenson. I don't know why but they always seem to play that team better in Owings Mills. Seemed similar to the York game as in they had some chances to run away and just couldn't do it. I hate to say it but I'm not seeing this team beat Christopher Newport and I'm not sure it will be close. Thoughts?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Salisbury will be just fine against CNU. It will be a good game between two of D3s best.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

They may very well see each other three times this year, so I would not put too much emphasis on whoever wins that first game.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Tactful Lax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:30 pm They may very well see each other three times this year, so I would not put too much emphasis on whoever wins that first game.
How will they see each other 3 times?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”