A suggestion about trolling...

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Inside Lacrosse Top 50

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:53 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:19 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:32 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:15 pm ugh...came back and I find the same mess.

ONW, I repeat that I thought your self-imposed discipline was laudable...and was working. For everyone. You were posting heavily (which you clearly wish to do), and which other posters were free to tap into or not, engage with or not,... and some chose to do so... but you were not cluttering up other threads with posts that others find... (lots of words and phrases have been used to describe them...I think I said 'bordering on creepy'...I'd now add 'excessively cloying at times'...others have said 'tedious'...lots of other descriptions, not many being complimentary).

That you've decided to revert to earlier behaviors and patterns in posting, which so clearly annoy many others, is disappointing.
And it's obviously intentional...which certainly seems to fit the definition of 'trolling' under this site's rules.
Not merely opinions with which others disagree.

Ugh.
And where is one of these "bordering on creepy" posts? That's a nasty, despicable insinuation to make without producing an example. Do you have one?
ONW, the constant fawning over these young women is, to me, "bordering on creepy". It's not a single post, in isolation, that is arguably excessively complimentary...it's the incessant fawning, repeatedly.

Frankly, as much as I'm 1000% cool with enthusiasm for the sport and for those who compete, over the top such seems downright strange. I think I'd asked you previously what your particular relationship with the sport is...former player, coach, parent, paid PR advocate...what? I didn't get an answer that explained, at least to me, the degree of enthusiastic exhortations.

If someone disagrees with me, other than you (who clearly doesn't 'understand'), I'm happy to hear their view...or from those who agree. I could well be all wet. Wouldn't be the first time, and not likely to be the last.

Again, to my basic point, you've intentionally decided to reverse your prior self-imposed discipline, despite the predictable response, which has now happened, and you are pretending that it's anyone and everyone else's problem for being bothered by your posts, taking no responsibility for the annoyance...that's intentionally trolling IMO.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:01 am Why is this a topic at all in this thread?
Asking for a friend? ;)
It seems you have embraced the meandering nature of many threads on the women's board
;)

You're correct, the discussion should be about the thread topic....not just another place to go off topic.
Bart

Re: A suggestion about trolling...

Post by Bart »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:57 am The women's forum is treated differently than the other forums because the people within the forum are different. Specifically, different in how, and if, they report issues to Admin.
Ah the real crux of the problem.

I guess from this answer we can only assume that the reports of abuse come from many of our fellow posters? Interesting.
Last edited by Bart on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:58 am When you post, do we as denizens of FanLax, take your posts as Matnum PI or as Admin?
Matnum. I run the Fantasy League and post and whatever. I'm little different than you, Bart. Yes, this is, so to speak, my house, I pay the rent, I mow the lawn, etc. and... I very much want everyone to feel at home here. That's me, that's Matnum. Separately, Admin is someone who volunteers their time to FanLax and strictly works as Admin for the website, for the forum. Totally separate. Metaphorically, I'm a player. A player who organizes the league and whatever. But after the opening whistle (which was blown years ago), I'm just a player. Admin is the ref.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

admin wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:38 am Post-ers, if you have an issue with a post-er, flag it and send to to me. If you want to make a public suggestion (e.g. locking a thread), post it within the Feedback Forum. And... Discuss issues, players, games, etc., not post-ers. Even if you think it's justified, avoid it. If you think a post-er is posting inappropriately, then flag the post. If a post-er is driving you crazy, ruining your experience, flag the post.
Just saw this warning. ok.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:08 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:57 am The women's forum is treated differently than the other forums because the people within the forum are different. Specifically, different in how, and if, they report issues to Admin.

I guess from this answer we can only assume that the reports of abuse come from many of our fellow posters?
My understanding is that specific people within the Women's Forum complain within the forum about posts but do not report them officially to Admin. And, not coincidentally, those same specific people are bothered because Admin doesn't act on their complaints.
Caddy Day
Bart

Post by Bart »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:11 am
Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:08 am

I guess from this answer we can only assume that the reports of abuse come from many of our fellow posters?
My understanding is that specific people within the Women's Forum complain within the forum about posts but do not report them officially to Admin. And, not coincidentally, those same specific people are bothered because Admin doesn't act on their complaints.
I need to learn to get my ideas in writing over better. No, my poorly made point, is that the women's forum is being treated differently because of how and why issues are reported. If that is from the majority of those reading or posting then that certainly seems to warrant the different rules. If the majority of reported issues are by one poster then that is different from "people" of the forum. Since we are not privy to who reports issues and the number of times they do so then we have to assume it is the majority of people whom read the women's forum. If that is the case then I find that interesting.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:03 am DMac made a suggestion, which I have seconded, that ONW’s personal thread be locked... My two cents.
I guess the lock on his thread would be a punishment for posting elsewhere?
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:15 am ...is that the women's forum is being treated differently because of how and why issues are reported...
Correct. To the best of my understanding.
Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:15 am If the majority of reported issues are by one poster then that is different from "people" of the forum. Since we are not privy to who reports issues and the number of times they do so then we have to assume it is the majority of people whom read the women's forum. If that is the case then I find that interesting.
I don't understand this 100% but... If A flags B repeatedly (and the flag is justified), B will spend a lot of time in the penalty box. If B just complains within the threads and never actually flags A to Admin, A will spend little to no time within the box. You vote has power but only if you vote.
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:01 am
DMac wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:49 am MDlax never accused anybody of saying anything remotely sexual about these women lacrosse players and explains himself clearly in the post you quoted. Passion is one thing, obsession quite another.
"That certain people don't like certain people, I get. That's just life." Indeed it is. In this particular case, there were so many other people who found (find) him to be annoying, unable to get along with others, wanting to be the alpha poster who calls all the shots, and just in general to be a huge pain in the asz, that his very own personal thread was created. It was created by him so he could post to his heart's content in one spot which in turn made it a whole lot easier for the many who don't appreciate his style to just ignore him. I think he's forgotten that part, looks to me as if he sees himself as the superstar poster who everyone is anxiously awaiting to hear from. Not. If he stayed in his very own personal thread (nobody else has their very own personal thread as no one else ever had a need for one) these type of discussions would be far less frequent as they were before the need for attention brought him out of his very own personal thread.
Obsession? How is Outta obsessed?
That certain people don't like certain people, that I can understand.
I answered you on the other thread re "sexual", though probably better answered here.

Incessant, fawning posts about people one doesn't actually know, about a sport one apparently hasn't played, who hasn't coached, hasn't been a fan of for long, whose kids don't play...well, I don't know what to call that but 'obsessive' and 'bordering on creepy'.

It needn't be sexual, but can't rule that out as the source...could be the men's side, happens to be the women.

Other's have expressed annoyance, repeatedly, whether through reports or directly within threads. some because of the 'creepy' element I note, others by the vehemence that is negative if their preferred player isn't anointed as the GOAT.

But put aside what numerous fellow posters have said they find annoying or off-putting, whatever negative reaction, my response to ONW was to focus on how ONW had taken an action to reduce the friction on the board, yet be free to post as many times as ONW wished. However he wished. With those posters finding his posts worth reading able to easily find them. and for other posters who had a negative reaction to more easily avoid them. It was working!

I found that self-discipline laudable. But the decision to blow up that self-discipline clearly, at least to me, reveals a desire to annoy, to inflame, to generate friction with others. Sure seems like trolling.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:01 am ...But what I've observed, and certainly I could be alone in this observation, is that the posts are overly fawning, overly effusive...and incessant. Maybe it's a prejudice or personal taste of mine to find this strange.
I hear that. Thank you. It was a genuine question so I appreciate the genuine response.
Caddy Day
njbill

Post by njbill »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:57 am
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:29 am Come on, admin. His posts have been reported time and time again. I have been told privately some have been reported using the reporting button. Other posts are reported to you in open posts, not using the report button. If you are put on notice, it doesn’t matter whether it is via a public post or through the report button. Notice is notice...
Admin doesn't follow every thread and has said repeatedly, do not post complaints within threads. Flag the relevant posts. You think "notice is notice" and Admin is telling you explicitly, it is not. That is the heart of this issue. The women's forum is treated differently than the other forums because the people within the forum are different. Specifically, different in how, and if, they report issues to Admin.
Matt, we have had this discussion before, and I understand I will not convince you about moderating the women’s board. At a minimum, I think admin should take a few moments to review relevant posts (which probably are only a small handful) before issuing a warning or suspension. It is always important to have context.

But what I am talking mainly about is when posts are identified directly to admin. I did that myself back 18 months ago when I had my run in with Can Opener. I listed the offending comments in a public post. For some reason, I couldn’t figure out how to email admin, and he told me to put my post in the penalty box, which I did. I know he read it because he responded to it.

I am not talking about constructive notice, which could be said to be notice based on a public post not connected or directed to admin, but rather on posts he is actually aware of. Actual notice is notice in any context I can think of.

Perhaps you alerted admin to this recent kerfuffle, and he read up on recent posts. The point is, it can be done.

Well, yes, a couple of posters on the women’s board do report posts differently than (I suspect) posts get reported on the men’s and politics board. Therein lies the problem. You seem to think the double standard is justified. I do not.

Lastly, if the women’s board is to be moderated differently than the other boards, then I think the moderator should spend a few minutes each day reading posts on the board. I read all the posts on this board, as many others do as well I’m sure. If I am off-line for a day or so, it only takes five or 10 minutes to read everything (except perhaps in the height of the season). And the moderator would not need to read the posts carefully, but could simply skim them to see if anything offensive was said.

By just occasionally popping in and popping out, I honestly don’t think admin has a sense for the women’s board. That is not intended to be a criticism, but rather an observation.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:31 am Incessant, fawning posts about people one doesn't actually know, about a sport one apparently hasn't played, who hasn't coached, hasn't been a fan of for long, whose kids don't play...well, I don't know what to call that but 'obsessive' and 'bordering on creepy'.
I hear you though I think the played, coaches, parented etc. are irrelevant. Might just love the game. I know *lots* of people like this.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:31 am ...I found that self-discipline laudable. But the decision to blow up that self-discipline clearly, at least to me, reveals a desire to annoy, to inflame, to generate friction with others. Sure seems like trolling.
I think ONW played along, if I remember correctly, because it was the off-season. Now it's December, soon it'll be January, and then...
Caddy Day
Bart

Post by Bart »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:30 am
Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:15 am ...is that the women's forum is being treated differently because of how and why issues are reported...
Correct. To the best of my understanding.
Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:15 am If the majority of reported issues are by one poster then that is different from "people" of the forum. Since we are not privy to who reports issues and the number of times they do so then we have to assume it is the majority of people whom read the women's forum. If that is the case then I find that interesting.
I don't understand this 100% but... If A flags B repeatedly (and the flag is justified), B will spend a lot of time in the penalty box. If B just complains within the threads and never actually flags A to Admin, A will spend little to no time within the box. You vote has power but only if you vote.
A complains on B and B gets a flag. Then aA complains on C and C gets a flag. A complains on D and D gets a flag. Then the forum is not being dictated by those in the forum rather than a single member in the forum.

The "people" of the forum is whittled down to person or a "few" people of the forum. If there are many, I do not know how to define it, posters who are complaining then this is "people. If it is one person then the forum etiquette is not people but person. Again, since we have no idea whom is posting complaints but have to assume it is people and not person.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:26 am
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:03 am DMac made a suggestion, which I have seconded, that ONW’s personal thread be locked... My two cents.
I guess the lock on his thread would be a punishment for posting elsewhere?
I think the point would be that there's no need for a thread that the creator said he was doing in order to have a place to post his various thoughts instead of having them throughout the other threads. So as to not annoy, not create friction. That was what he said.

He's decided now that he wants to post anywhere as well as see his name in the thread named for himself. Nothing ostensibly in the rules against it...but it's pretty clear that he wishes to annoy others by doing so. Somehow getting jollies by doing so, he's now self-congratulating on 'view count'...

I dunno that locking the thread does anything other than taking his name off a thread, itself clearly an annoyance to others.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 am Actual notice is notice in any context I can think of.
Agreed. And I think Admin would agree, too.
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 am Perhaps you alerted admin to this recent kerfuffle, and he read up on recent posts. The point is, it can be done.
I did not. He knew about the thread because he got a flag. I'm 95% sure.
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 am ...if the women’s board is to be moderated differently than the other boards...
The women's board is not moderated differently. It's 100% the same as every other forum. I'm not sure why you think it's moderated differently. It sounds like you're asking for it to be moderated differently.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bart wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:38 am A complains on B and B gets a flag. Then aA complains on C and C gets a flag. A complains on D and D gets a flag. Then the forum is not being dictated by those in the forum rather than a single member in the forum.

The "people" of the forum is whittled down to person or a "few" people of the forum. If there are many, I do not know how to define it, posters who are complaining then this is "people. If it is one person then the forum etiquette is not people but person. Again, since we have no idea whom is posting complaints but have to assume it is people and not person.
Agreed. Which is why B, C, and D need to speak up. And, to be fair, A flags B, C, and D and Admin issues a warning or, very often, disagrees with A and does nothing.
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:37 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:31 am Incessant, fawning posts about people one doesn't actually know, about a sport one apparently hasn't played, who hasn't coached, hasn't been a fan of for long, whose kids don't play...well, I don't know what to call that but 'obsessive' and 'bordering on creepy'.
I hear you though I think the played, coaches, parented etc. are irrelevant. Might just love the game. I know *lots* of people like this.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:31 am ...I found that self-discipline laudable. But the decision to blow up that self-discipline clearly, at least to me, reveals a desire to annoy, to inflame, to generate friction with others. Sure seems like trolling.
I think ONW played along, if I remember correctly, because it was the off-season. Now it's December, soon it'll be January, and then...
I don't think there was any relationship to 'off-season' but could be mistaken. If so, name it the 'off-season' thread and lock it now that it's not 'off-season'..according to him.

and no, I seriously don't know anyone who exhibits this sort of fandom, 'love of the game', for either men's or women's lacrosse having not been directly involved in the sport in some way. Even if only been a fan of one's own school's team, through some good friends, etc...some sort of real connection. I know a heck of a lot of people who 'love the game' but no one without such a connection.

If I recall correctly, ONW said he stumbled across a women's game on TV and decided to watch more...and is now this incessant, combative, often fawning poster about the women's sport on a lax forum...

At least in my lifetime of experience with lax fans, this is unique.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:38 am ... I dunno that locking the thread does anything other than taking his name off a thread, itself clearly an annoyance to others.
And I think that may be the heart of the issue. Trolling is trolling. But is annoying flag-worthy? Can we punish someone for being annoying? Annoying to everybody, that sounds like trolling. But annoying to some, I dunno...
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:47 am ... At least in my lifetime of experience with lax fans, this is unique.
Based on what you're saying, I'm impressed by ONW. :) I get it, ONW's annoying. But there's something admirable about his passion for the game.
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:43 am
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 am Actual notice is notice in any context I can think of.
Agreed. And I think Admin would agree, too.
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 am Perhaps you alerted admin to this recent kerfuffle, and he read up on recent posts. The point is, it can be done.
I did not. He knew about the thread because he got a flag. I'm 95% sure.
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 am ...if the women’s board is to be moderated differently than the other boards...
The women's board is not moderated differently. It's 100% the same as every other forum. I'm not sure why you think it's moderated differently. It sounds like you're asking for it to be moderated differently.
Should these most recent posts and ongoing discussion be moved to the Feedback thread as well?
Probably more appropriate there?

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”