A suggestion about trolling...

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
8meterPA

A suggestion about trolling...

Post by 8meterPA »

In my opinion, and opinions are protected, trolling is close to destroying the womens D1 forum. There is one person (and I'm not naming names, so am protected according to the "rules") that is responsible for nearly all the trolling.

I would suggest to simply ignore the troll and all their posts, if you don't respond to them, the troll doesn't get their dopamine hit and they will eventually go away. If there is an urge to respond I would suggest simply using one of the emoji's - and leave it at that.

I appreciate all the back and forth with the great majority of the posters here, a lot of which go back many years to the laxpower forum.

I will follow my own suggestion and not respond to the troll going forward.
seacoaster

Re: A suggestion about trolling...

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 am In my opinion, and opinions are protected, trolling is close to destroying the womens D1 forum. There is one person (and I'm not naming names, so am protected according to the "rules") that is responsible for nearly all the trolling.

I would suggest to simply ignore the troll and all their posts, if you don't respond to them, the troll doesn't get their dopamine hit and they will eventually go away. If there is an urge to respond I would suggest simply using one of the emoji's - and leave it at that.

I appreciate all the back and forth with the great majority of the posters here, a lot of which go back many years to the laxpower forum.

+1. I’ll do my best.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Also, a good time to remind our friends on this board that we come here for discourse. We come here for discussion. Disagreeing and differing opinions are what makes the world go around. There is simply no need to attack people when you disagree. That’s life!
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:43 am
8meterPA wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 am In my opinion, and opinions are protected, trolling is close to destroying the womens D1 forum. There is one person (and I'm not naming names, so am protected according to the "rules") that is responsible for nearly all the trolling.

+1. I’ll do my best.
I showed a lot of restraint not commenting the other day on one such post. I know it would have deteriorated into a back and forth and not worth it.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Look, as long as the topics are Lacrosse, Lacrosse players, Lacrosse coaches and all things Lacrosse, I have no problem with dealing with someone you see as a Troll. However, when it starts getting personal(chest thumping, vailed threats), then I have to go exit stage left.

I just want to deal with Lacrosse.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Yeah well....depends
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pm Also, a good time to remind our friends on this board that we come here for discourse. We come here for discussion. Disagreeing and differing opinions are what makes the world go around. There is simply no need to attack people when you disagree. That’s life!
Well said, LaxPundit. Well. Freaking. Said.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

Please don't post anything that someone might find offensive.

I just can't figure out why these kids have turned into snowflakes that need safe spaces. Where do they get it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 am In my opinion, and opinions are protected, trolling is close to destroying the womens D1 forum. There is one person (and I'm not naming names, so am protected according to the "rules")...
And, on both accounts, you would be wrong. All opinions are not protected and not naming names does not protect you "according to the rules". People, no personal attacks. If you believe that someone is doing something which is a "foul", however you want to define a foul, report it to me. But there's no room in these forums for personal attacks. *Especially* in the lacrosse forums.

Tweeet! 8meterPA, Unsportsmanlike conduct, 1 Minute (2 day) Penalty. Penalty will be up on Friday at 1:30 PM EST. Tweeeeet!!! Play on...

(I'm moving this thread to FanLax Feedback Forum.)
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Great post, 8Meter. I promise not to chirp any posters unless they criticize my daughter first.

Edit: Oops, I mean my favorite player.
Bart

Post by Bart »

ProudPapa wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm Please don't post anything that someone might find offensive.

I just can't figure out why these kids have turned into snowflakes that need safe spaces. Where do they get it?
post what you want. but then don't cry and whine when someone calls you to the mat for not agreeing and says you are attacking them. (not speaking to your directly)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Therein lies the crux of the issue. The issue is not difference of opinion, the issue is differing styles and sense of decency.
Many long time posters here who have differing opinions but have always played well together while never hesitating to call one another out. One might deduct from the current tone that when one is called out he/she alerts Admin and says the game's gotten too rough, seeking shelter and protection as the criticism's too much. Look who's under the gun here and who is not.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:41 pm Look, as long as the topics are Lacrosse, Lacrosse players, Lacrosse coaches and all things Lacrosse, I have no problem with dealing with someone you see as a Troll. However, when it starts getting personal(chest thumping, vailed threats), then I have to go exit stage left.

I just want to deal with Lacrosse.
Hear, hear!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

ProudPapa wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm Please don't post anything that someone might find offensive.

Great post.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DMac wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 pm Therein lies the crux of the issue. The issue is not difference of opinion, the issue is differing styles and sense of decency.
Many long time posters here who have differing opinions but have always played well together while never hesitating to call one another out. One might deduct from the current tone that when one is called out he/she alerts Admin and says the game's gotten too rough, seeking shelter and protection as the criticism's too much. Look who's under the gun here and who is not.

DMac,

Nailed it, absolutely nailed it! Just look at whos keeping their mouth shut :lol: :lol:

Joe
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:21 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 pm Therein lies the crux of the issue. The issue is not difference of opinion, the issue is differing styles and sense of decency.

DMac,

Nailed it, absolutely nailed it! Just look at whos keeping their mouth shut :lol: :lol:

Joe

Yep—just doing what the man said to do. Pretty simple order to follow.

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 pm
admin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:00 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:46 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:40 pm Sure; take refuge for your adolescent posts and sports-talk radio stupidity... It's tasteless, and small.
Hey sea, no kiddin--I couldn't give two... You pickin up what I'm puttin down?
Cletus, seacoaster, discuss issues, posts, not each other, not post-ers.
Glad to.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Many long time posters here who have differing opinions but have always played well together while never hesitating to call one another out.
One might deduct from the current tone that when one is called out he/she alerts Admin and says the game's gotten too rough, seeking shelter and protection as the criticism's too much. Look who's under the gun here and who is not.
I just noticed this thread, not sure where it was before...somewhere in the Women's section?

I totally agree with you, DMac, on the bolded above. Nearly all of the disagreements over the years get handled with at least a modicum of civility between posters. Doesn't mean that the disagreements aren't at times vehement and sharply expressed, but "decency" generally prevails.

Don't agree with the rest, at least if you're saying that's it's inappropriate to try and reduce the rancor and offensive stuff on the non-Hamsterdam threads, including by reporting such to the Admin for a warning or penalty if such is spinning out of bounds. I also disagree with the implication of the 'safe space' comment by another poster, again if I've understood it correctly (might not) as an insult, as there was a quite open discussion at the foundation of FanLax as to what we wanted the rules to be, how we wanted moderation etc...having been throughs the experience of LaxPower. We asked for a light hand of moderation, lighter than LP, but civility and basic decency...with an area "Hamsterdam" which was no-holds barred for those who wanted to 'play' there. Few do. We also asked for transparency on the moderation/penalty decisions. Seems to me we have that.

Recently, the question was raised about whether "trolling" had gotten so rancorous that it was detracting from the experience and pushing participants away. The open question was whether a very few posters were acting in such bad faith that they too needed to be warned to desist and disciplined if they persisted in making the experience undesirable for those who wanted to interact civilly, whether about lacrosse or movies or politics. We'd had a number of longtime posters drift away in apparent disgust at the level of vitriol. Some declared their departure.

I don't think the Admin has made any such new rules, but he's clearly been focused on toning down the personal attacks at one another and he's asked for us all to participate in alerting him when there's an issue. We only have one Admin with the power to make these calls, so pretty reasonable for him to ask for help...nevertheless it's his call on each issue. It's his site, we're just guests.

Not sure what put 8meter in the doghouse...was the offending post removed?

He seemed pretty reasonable in his stated concern about "trolling", if misguided in the notion that not mentioning someone's name in specific somehow makes it not a personal attack...if I was to say "he's a douchebag " and everyone knows that I'm talking about a fellow poster "Sam" (I don't recall any Sams on here!) then it's still a personal attack at Sam...and likewise, if it's my "opinion" that "Sam is a douchebag" that's not "protected" just because it's an "opinion".

We're also not supposed to curse or say racist things...anyone really have a problem with that? If so, my suggestion is to take it to Hamsterdam. Post away.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:41 pm Great post, 8Meter. I promise not to chirp any posters unless they criticize my daughter first.

That was the reason that I left Fanlax for a while this Spring.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:10 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:41 pm Great post, 8Meter. I promise not to chirp any posters unless they criticize my daughter first.

Interesting, the difference between perception (mine) and reality (yours). I had always perceived your daughters team was spared the most raucous chirping. I guess I was wrong. That sucks, sorry you had to leave because of it.

edit:just read your response in the other thread. I see it now.....
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Bart wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:31 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Interesting, the difference between perception (mine) and reality (yours). I had always perceived your daughters team was spared the most raucous chirping. I guess I was wrong. That sucks, sorry you had to leave because of it.

edit:just read your response in the other thread. I see it now.....
I don't mind the discussion about Loyola and their women's lacrosse team in general....I am often the one talking the Hounds hyperbole down just for sarcastic fun, but...the glee someone got in describing a loss got to me, personally. Not sure that it warranted any time out for the poster, but I needed to take the time out for myself. Sort of a giving up something I liked for Lent and clearing my feelings of sadness, disappointment and negative thoughts about a post.

I have come to a better place regarding the Hounds and their losses. Life is too short to let someone's comments in an anonymous forum upset me. That is as much a resolution about myself as it is about a post that upset me. It just is sad to have to think about it.....it is just a game and there will always be folks who want to P on your parade.

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”