D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by CU77 »

20 seconds to the Final Four!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

So happy for the Big Red lacrosse community — no better tribute to Richie Moran than making it to Memorial Day weekend. Congratulations to the Cornell players and coaching staff. On to Memorial Day weekend!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Congratulations!! Great win. Good luck next week!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

:D :o :D :o :D
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Congrats to Cornell, wonderful win! Best of luck with the next one, beat New Jersey!
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Dominant 4th quarter. I'm not sure Delaware had an offensive possession until the last 2 minutes.*

Congrats, Big Red!

* only slight hyperbole
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Great win! Really impressed by the poise Cornell showed when things tightened up. That is a well-coached team. Go Big Red!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

🎶From Blue Cayuga..🎶

Great work, great win!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Way to go!
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Wirtheim developing into a scoring threat on second middies. Getting more confident. Has sneaky slick moves.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:45 pm Side note… good play-by-play and color from the ESPN crew today.
Ryan Boyle, first rate, glad he was willing to say those calls weren't good...I'd have said more earlier, but I guess they didn't want to detract from the game itself...

Katie was breath of fresh air on the sideline too...smart, knowledgeable...
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 pm Great win! Really impressed by the poise Cornell showed when things tightened up. That is a well-coached team. Go Big Red!
+1. And navigated a frustrating stretch with refs (seemingly tripping on mushrooms) tipping the field in Delaware's favor!
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Was that ref from South Bend…. :D
Last edited by RedIvy on Sun May 22, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

faircornell wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 pm 🎶From Blue Cayuga..🎶

Great work, great win!
Hail to thee, our Alma Mater!
Hail, all hail, Cornell!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Great job by the coaching staff today. The team kept its poise and dominated the 4th quarter, overcoming a bunch of mystery calls. Those kind of deliberate grinding games can be tough.

The attack played very well. Adler was Adler. Petrakis dominated at the X. Ierlan had a very strong game.

Tremendous accomplishment by the team and the coaches. On to East Hartford!!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Anybody know which sections of Pratt Whitney will be the Cornell section for tickets?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Congratulations to Cornell!!!

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:46 pm Anybody know which sections of Pratt Whitney will be the Cornell section for tickets?
Trying to find out the same thing. Will Cornell be the lower seed/visitor?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Wow. Who would have thought that after 2 years off and the first season under coach Buczek, that we would be a FINAL FOUR team. Never been more proud of my Alma mater.
PETRAKIS winning faceoffs at 75%, LERLAN saving at 65%, and ADLER and his defense playing ungodly defense vacuuming up every ground ball, is a recipe for winning post season lacrosse. We all know they can score, so they can win shootouts , defensive battles and they never crack under pressure and in most games are the dominant 4th quarter team.
We are so lucky to have Coach Buczek and Stevens. Both were great players, but already, both are even better coaches.

The FOWER POWER, has tasted so good all day, and a celebratory dinner tonight where we will toast the BIG RED and all these great players.

I just need to say it again as it sounds so sweet. CORNELL IS A FINAL FOUR TEAM.

Remember, in just 3 of our brackets do we have CORNELL as champs. HECK, We came this far. LETS WIN THE WHOLE KABOSH.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

What an excellent season for the players and coaches. Talk about "WD is greater than WS."
For much of the game, especially at 7-7, I thought to myself, this seems eerily similar to Delaware-Georgetown.
Season MVP (and today's game*) Adler
Most Improved Player** - Wortheim
*Guy was rock solid all year. But today, he was matched against Ward, the engine which makes Delaware's offense go. Ward simply could not beat Adler, and his game was reduced to looking for teammates cutting to the goal.
**2 big goals today, one to stop Delaware's early run and the other at 8-7. He's playing so confidently (almost too much so); as I posted earlier in the week, more than willing to go to the goal in traffic.
Misc. Observations:
-For much of the game, Cornell deviated from it's normal offensive identity - moving the ball (which was really on display vs. OSU); today, by design many many inverts. 'But a bit too much trying to beat your man one on one. Got back to basics though.
-The matchup: I thought the game would be close, but figured two things would win the day: 1) Cornell would neither get dominated on FO's nor lose multiple FO's. Petrakis dominated. 2) Cornell's D has been vulnerable to speed teams with multiple shooters. How many intermediate to longer shots did Delaware even take during the entire game? Not many.
-Defense needs to watch the tape: probably half of Delaware's goals were the result of unnecessary slides or shows. The worst of the lot was in the 4th by Follows - it was replayed several times. Adler had one too.
-Lousy call by the refs on Kirst's disallowed goal at 7-7. It could have been huge if not for the steal and Long goal that followed. They called Licciardi for an illegal pick. That was laughable compared to some of the illegal picks set by Ohio State last week that were not called.
-IC Grad - great observation; I don't think Delaware possessed the ball in the 4th until the last 2 minutes.
-Kelleher - so reminiscent of Fletcher size-wise. They both missed the cage a lot off of effective dodges. Fletcher would outmuscle and run by people. Kelleher likes to run over them. Fun to watch.
-Ierlan - excellent day. 3 excellent games in a row. He was a difference maker in a 2 goal margin game.
-Last two minutes - the boys looked like they were trying to stop fans from celebrating too early. Examples - why is Licciardi (who had a good day) shooting with 30+ seconds left on an EMO at the end; 'And when Delaware gets possession, we get our defensive rotation on the field but they press upfield rather than get back in core D. On successive possessions, they gave up 2 good shots in unsettled situations that missed the cage.
-Defensive Midfield - great effort. Bardwell and Bartolotta seemingly never got off the field. Davis and Smith are usually targeted, but they work so hard. When they get off the field you can see how exhausted they are.
*Anyone know if Rutgers and Maryland are done with finals. The Big Red have a busy week ahead of them.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”