Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxfan#1969

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:28 am
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:27 pm To have a great season, you need depth...I think the Hounds have that in spades if we start off healthy...

Here are the guys I think will be key contributors...

If all guys are ready, I feel pretty sure these are your top 6 offensive guys that we will lean on a lot (in no order)

Olmstead - Sr (last year)
Lindley - Sr (last year)
Poitras - Jr (3 years eligibility left)
Kamish - Jr (3 years eligibility left)
James - Jr (3 years eligibility left)
Higgins - So (3 years eligibility left)

The next four guys that will be heavily counted on...

Wigley - Sr (last year)
Bateman - Sr (2 years eligibility left)
Seay - Sr (2 years eligibility left)
Lindsey - So (4 years eligibility left)

I'm sure there will be other guys emerge , but out of the gate, based on what we know, what we saw the last two years...those are guys were gonna lean on...

Hope for good health and with a full compliment of those guys above...watch out

Go Hounds!
Lot of talent and depth with these players. Agree that SSDM is perhaps most critical position behind good goalie play. Cain has moved to SSDM per scrimmages this Fall. Rezanka is a beast and legit AA. If McGory and Sherwood have good year watch out. D Poles will have to carry a lot of the weight early on as the new group settles in.

Bateman remains on offense.

That's all I have ...
I love watching elite SSDM play...so important. A thankless position nobody talks about. Rezanka is a stud...not worried about him. I love SSDM's that actually are offensive threats in transition and early offense...mis match nightmares. But it's a philosophy some coaches like and some don't...some teams view transition as an early opportunity to strike (Rutgers is a good example)...others just want sturdy guys that are stout on D, can carry to an attack and then get off ASAP...that's fine...just a different approach...

Also like seeing guys in that position that are older...upperclassmen. Young guys are a big risk at the SSDM position IMO...I want 21-22 year olds as my SSDM's. Not 18/19 year olds...but that's just me ;)

In the end...I love our staff and trust them...can't wait until Feb!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am The Covid backlog hasn't helped Mr. Taylor. The Hounds are deep.
Things will open up. I think his time will come.
Agree...Najee is a good kid. He has three years of eligibility left and at some point he will get an opportunity...looking big picture, I would think the 2023 season will be his big opening (no inside info...just looking at roster reality) to jump in...not so much this year

In Najee's class, you already have three very very good offensive players that are proven and the staff is going to trust and ride for the future (James, Kamish, Poitras)...that's really not debatable at this point. In other classes you also have Bateman, Seay, Higgins, and Lindsey that will all (projected anyway) play significant roles and will log lots of minutes...this year might be tough for him to break through...but you never know...

With that said, after this year, we lose Olmstead, Lindley, and Wigley...that's 3 offensive guys that will leave a void and that's the window for a guy like Najee and the other young guys to go grab playing time...

My commentary is simply based on what we've seen the last two years...nothing more, nothing less...I'm rooting for him

Go Hounds!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Loyola starts their season off against 3 Big Ten teams

Date Opponent H/A/N Location
Feb. 12 Maryland A College Park, Md.
Feb. 19 Johns Hopkins A Baltimore, Md.
Feb. 26 Rutgers H Baltimore, Md.
March 2 Towson H Baltimore, Md.
March 5 * Lafayette A Easton, Pa.
March 12 Duke H Baltimore, Md.
March 19 * Bucknell H Baltimore, Md.
March 26 * Army West Point H Baltimore, Md.
April 2 * Holy Cross A Worcester, Mass.
April 9 * Navy A Annapolis, Md.
April 16 * Boston University A Boston, Mass.
April 19 Georgetown A Washington, D.C.
April 23 * Colgate A Hamilton, N.Y.
April 29 * Lehigh H Baltimore, Md.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:56 pm Loyola starts their season off against 3 Big Ten teams

Date Opponent H/A/N Location
Feb. 12 Maryland A College Park, Md.
Feb. 19 Johns Hopkins A Baltimore, Md.
Feb. 26 Rutgers H Baltimore, Md.
March 2 Towson H Baltimore, Md.
March 5 * Lafayette A Easton, Pa.
March 12 Duke H Baltimore, Md.
March 19 * Bucknell H Baltimore, Md.
March 26 * Army West Point H Baltimore, Md.
April 2 * Holy Cross A Worcester, Mass.
April 9 * Navy A Annapolis, Md.
April 16 * Boston University A Boston, Mass.
April 19 Georgetown A Washington, D.C.
April 23 * Colgate A Hamilton, N.Y.
April 29 * Lehigh H Baltimore, Md.

It’s noted on the schedule release that this will be the first game in a multi year long series between Maryland and loyola.

Looks to me the terps are going to be a replacement for Virginia for a while.

I really wonder why they couldn’t get the wahoos on the schedule either?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:17 am
lorin wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:59 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:35 am
lorin wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:53 pm
Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:04 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:08 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:08 pm Any insight on Najee Taylor? Came in hyped up - seems to have not lived up to it at all.
Crickets. NJ, drop him...
Hahah was leaning towards it anyway, had to make sure my thoughts were correct!
Love how you guys have fun making fun of D1 Athletes. I am guessing your guys are AA kids
love how you come in and make fun of people for no reason - yes, it was for the fanlax fantasy league. i was asking about a player i had drafted 2 years ago in najee taylor. i drafted him mainly from all the buzz on the loyola threads and so far he's done nothing there.
Anyway you try to spin it not a big fan, maybe the kid was home sick first year, maybe having hard time with school etc, I hope you drop him and he has a big year. I just feel there is a better more constructive way to get your point across IMO
i said nothing demeaning about him - i said he came in with a lot of hype and hasn't lived up to it. where's the problem in that?

it's the internet, if your feelings get hurt too easily you should steer clear of it.
I think there’s a misunderstanding of your question about the kid. But two years in unless there’s an injury story he’s probably not going to give you points. No idea how the scoring works but presume like other fantasy sports it’s stat driven.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:27 pm To have a great season, you need depth...I think the Hounds have that in spades if we start off healthy...

If all guys are ready, I feel pretty sure these are your top 6 offensive guys that we will lean on a lot (in no order)

Lindley - Sr (last year)

Wigley - Sr (last year)

I'm sure there will be other guys emerge , but out of the gate, based on what we know, what we saw the last two years...those are guys were gonna lean on...

Go Hounds!
Lot of talent and depth with these players. Agree that SSDM is perhaps most critical position behind good goalie play. Cain has moved to SSDM per scrimmages this Fall. Rezanka is a beast and legit AA. If McGory and Sherwood have good year watch out. D Poles will have to carry a lot of the weight early on as the new group settles in.

That's all I have ...
I love watching elite SSDM play...so important. A thankless position nobody talks about. Rezanka is a stud...not worried about him. I love SSDM's that actually are offensive threats in transition and early offense...mis match nightmares. But it's a philosophy some coaches like and some don't...some teams view transition as an early opportunity to strike (Rutgers is a good example)...others just want sturdy guys that are stout on D, can carry to an attack and then get off ASAP...that's fine...just a different approach...

Also like seeing guys in that position that are older...upperclassmen. Young guys are a big risk at the SSDM position IMO...I want 21-22 year olds as my SSDM's. Not 18/19 year olds...but that's just me ;)

I like the play of SSDM, and i think that could be key to the success of this team. That grey area of transition. Rezanka is a stud period. I did like the play of Cain and Mcgillacuddy, both were athletic and can carry the ball in transition. Bateman is more of an offensive player, i do not think he has it to play D. Both can play the wing.

I love the schedule. You have to play the best to be the best. If they come out 6-2, losses to Duke and Maryland, we can be lethal in the patriot league play
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

laxbro11 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:58 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am

Lindley - Sr (last year)

Wigley - Sr (last year)

Go Hounds!

That's all I have ...

I like the play of SSDM, and i think that could be key to the success of this team. That grey area of transition. Rezanka is a stud period. I did like the play of Cain and Mcgillacuddy, both were athletic and can carry the ball in transition. Bateman is more of an offensive player, i do not think he has it to play D. Both can play the wing.

I love the schedule. You have to play the best to be the best. If they come out 6-2, losses to Duke and Maryland, we can be lethal in the patriot league play
The schedule is fantastic...and we might even go 5-3...and we can still be the top in the Patriot, but I agree, I think we go 6-2...but wouldn't be shocked if one of the wins/losses comes from a different team...can't wait to watch...stay healthy, keep all our pieces healthy and the Hounds will be really good...

Feb 12 at Maryland, can't wait
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

So I'm looking at the schedule and I think Lafayette could be that "trap" game. On paper Loyola should win but It's away and only several days after the Towson game which I know will take a lot of energy based on what happened last year. I'm not sleeping on Lafayette because they played Loyola close last season and can only get better. Anyone care to comment on that?

Maryland could go either way. Same for Hopkins and Rutgers.

An awesome schedule....
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Lafayette? Enjoy a restful sleep the night before. That trap not tripping with Toomey at controls
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I don't disagree. Hounds definitely weren't playing their best ball during contest with Lafayette last year. If they play as well as they played at the end of last season, watch out.... ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing, Hounds are beating Duke (the best team of all time :o ) this year. Bank on it! :D
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:52 pm I don't disagree. Hounds definitely weren't playing their best ball during contest with Lafayette last year. If they play as well as they played at the end of last season, watch out.... ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing, Hounds are beating Duke (the best team of all time :o ) this year. Bank on it! :D
Last year the hounds struggled offensively, trying to find the right mix at the midfield. They found it the second half the of the season. With key players coming back from injury, and the way they played in the scrimmage this fall, they look solid.

Attack: Lindsay, Kamish, Olmstead and Lindley -- Solid.. I would almost run four attackman, having one come on with the pole. All four need to be on the field
Midfiled: Wigley, Poitras, Seay, Hueston, Sherwood, Higgens, Bateman, Decker, solid group, need to create for the attack
Defense: at close Wyers, Hughes, Leblanc and Wagner, all seasoned veterans. LSM Mcnulty and Middleton, Solid. SSDM, Rezanka, a stud, Cain and McGillicuddy looked good in the scrimmage, but is the question mark
Goalie - Schaffer back in the cage
FOGO - Savio
The makings of a great season, I can see beating Duke and/or Marlyand
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I know Evan James was just an oversight. No worries. Throw him in the mix and this lineup just goes from really good to Awesome! I haven't figured out if he is an Attackman or a Middie. Doesn't matter - he'll be getting 3-4 points on average per game. I'm also looking for a big year from Higgins.

And I believe Cam James will be the 4th Pole along with Vandenhueval getting lots of reps. Hounds have a strong D.

I can't wait!!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:34 pm I know Evan James was just an oversight. No worries. Throw him in the mix and this lineup just goes from really good to Awesome! I haven't figured out if he is an Attackman or a Middie. Doesn't matter - he'll be getting 3-4 points on average per game. I'm also looking for a big year from Higgins.

And I believe Cam James will be the 4th Pole along with Vandenhueval getting lots of reps. Hounds have a strong D.

I can't wait!!
Check your PMs.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

This team has the potential to be dynamite

They have a very strong defense (Wyers, Hughes, Leblanc, and others)and LSM set (McNulty, Middleton, Vandenheuvel), a very good to elite FOGO, strong goaltending and a stud at SSDM...we do need to solidify a few more parts at SSDM...I think Cain and Sherwood can be those guys along with McGillicudy...I prefer strong, experience older SSDM's...gotta have guys that can disrupt and get out in transition...we will get there

I've posted earlier thought on offense...I think this is really gonna be a mixture and your gonna see guys running out of the box, playing attack, used all over the place...they really have a lot of parts...but I think if you look at the top 6 guys...don't slot by position, this is what I could see...

James - attack or can run out of the box
Poitras - midfield, but can also play attack
Kamish - attack or out of the box (his leg injury was severe...but I've heard his rehab is tracking for a green light in January)
Olmstead - attack (but again, you could see them moving him around and out of the box for matchups)
Lindley - attack...crease...just keep doing what he does...elite finisher
Higgins - midfield

Then you have this next grouping, all will play significant minutes and will be big time contributors to success

Lindsey - attack and maybe out of the box depending on the above grouping
Wigley- midfield
Bateman - midfield
Seay - midfield

Then IMO you have another group that is a bit unknown but could break into some heavy contributing roles

Hueston - midfield
Decker - midfield
Binney - attack or midfield
???

So as you can see, we have tons on offense and I think Coach Van will find the right mix...lots to work with

It's a very balanced roster...strong in cage, strong in special teams, strong defensively and the offense has a lot of parts to work with....

Can't wait...
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:19 pm This team has the potential to be dynamite

They have a very strong defense (Wyers, Hughes, Leblanc, and others)and LSM set (McNulty, Middleton, Vandenheuvel), a very good to elite FOGO, strong goaltending and a stud at SSDM...we do need to solidify a few more parts at SSDM...I think Cain and Sherwood can be those guys along with McGillicudy...I prefer strong, experience older SSDM's...gotta have guys that can disrupt and get out in transition...we will get there

I've posted earlier thought on offense...I think this is really gonna be a mixture and your gonna see guys running out of the box, playing attack, used all over the place...they really have a lot of parts...but I think if you look at the top 6 guys...don't slot by position, this is what I could see...

James - attack or can run out of the box
Poitras - midfield, but can also play attack
Kamish - attack or out of the box (his leg injury was severe...but I've heard his rehab is tracking for a green light in January)
Olmstead - attack (but again, you could see them moving him around and out of the box for matchups)
Lindley - attack...crease...just keep doing what he does...elite finisher
Higgins - midfield

Then you have this next grouping, all will play significant minutes and will be big time contributors to success

Lindsey - attack and maybe out of the box depending on the above grouping
Wigley- midfield
Bateman - midfield
Seay - midfield

Then IMO you have another group that is a bit unknown but could break into some heavy contributing roles

Hueston - midfield
Decker - midfield
Binney - attack or midfield
???

So as you can see, we have tons on offense and I think Coach Van will find the right mix...lots to work with

It's a very balanced roster...strong in cage, strong in special teams, strong defensively and the offense has a lot of parts to work with....

Can't wait...
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Are we all forgetting the fact that this team was 5-5 at one point with a majority of these guys playing?

This is not a knock on loyola at all, I’m an alum, I’m an avid fan, and I am just as excited as ever with this 2022 slate.

But I’m toning down my optimism at least for a bit until we see the first game with all these pieces playing together again

Look on paper all the pieces look great for 2022, and they looked great for 2021 but every week we were arguing back and forth with one another on what needs to change, whats not working.

SSDM’s as good as They are, still got burned in games
Poles, as much experience and system knowledge they have, still got beat and had some lapses

The offense was so stagnant in the first 5 games, and then things clicked after MVA made some changes and they started scoring
This is where a lot of my optimism lies

Who after Bailey is going to be the fogo?? SNG in a way kind of impacted his dominance. Who is left after him?

WOTS for shafer is that he’s playing really well and picking up from last may, that’s great news.

Every single OOC game I can see it as a toss up, but it is IMPERATIVE that they play like how they left off in may and get good results under their belts, especially the MD and hopkins games those are two bonafide RPI and SOS boosters
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:34 pm I know Evan James was just an oversight. No worries. Throw him in the mix and this lineup just goes from really good to Awesome! I haven't figured out if he is an Attackman or a Middie. Doesn't matter - he'll be getting 3-4 points on average per game. I'm also looking for a big year from Higgins.

I can't wait!!
You are right, I love the way Evan James plays... and Cam James played solid in the fall :D
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:46 pm Are we all forgetting the fact that this team was 5-5 at one point with a majority of these guys playing?

This is not a knock on loyola at all, I’m an alum, I’m an avid fan, and I am just as excited as ever with this 2022 slate.

But I’m toning down my optimism at least for a bit until we see the first game with all these pieces playing together again

Look on paper all the pieces look great for 2022, and they looked great for 2021 but every week we were arguing back and forth with one another on what needs to change, whats not working.

SSDM’s as good as They are, still got burned in games
Poles, as much experience and system knowledge they have, still got beat and had some lapses

The offense was so stagnant in the first 5 games, and then things clicked after MVA made some changes and they started scoring
This is where a lot of my optimism lies

Who after Bailey is going to be the fogo?? SNG in a way kind of impacted his dominance. Who is left after him?

WOTS for shafer is that he’s playing really well and picking up from last may, that’s great news.

Every single OOC game I can see it as a toss up, but it is IMPERATIVE that they play like how they left off in may and get good results under their belts, especially the MD and hopkins games those are two bonafide RPI and SOS boosters
Trust me, I was not a fan of the offense at the beginning of last year. They struggled passing the ball, the turned it over, there was not flow to their game. Once Vanarsdale, switched up the mids, we started clicking.

I watched the fall scrimmages, they looked light years ahead of the beginning of last season.

What I see is that the are playing with confidence and that is what you need in big games,

After Schafer-- Teitelbaum or Staudt
After Savio --Pachecko or Farley

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”