Miscellaneous Thoughts on Film

Movies, TV, and Music
Farfromgeneva

Re: Miscellaneous Thoughts on Film

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Trading Places is excellent! Never seen that label/warning before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ehVgQYed60
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Given the many pokes Bob Dylan took at the hyper anti-commies of the 50'-60's, I wonder what he thought of Dr. Strangelove if he happened to see it when it came out early in 1964. Some of the lines in the film could have come straight from the lyrics and characterizations in the songs he was writing during that period.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Excellent. Highly recommended!

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:42 pm Excellent. Highly recommended!

4kZ5-nwNbBg
The Set Up - embodies all the excellent qualities of film noir. Indeed, highly recommended.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Classic stars you didn't know were racist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oop9RrR ... J%27sPlace
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Song Remains the Same

Very surprised to see this Led Zeppelin concert movie, in its entirety, free on YouTube.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Jimmy Page's version of the Duckwalk

Being as The Song Remains the Same is a film, I didn't want to place this under the music topic. There really isn't a topic that fits the subject of musical performances on film/video, and I didn't want to start another topic, so...

He only does it for a few seconds, but Jimmy's dork chic, sideways duckwalk here is exquisite, sublime.

https://youtu.be/pDg721WdilM?t=7505
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

And while we're on the topic, badass Angus Young had his own variation on the Duckwalk.

https://youtu.be/v2AC41dglnM?t=41
OuttaNowhereWregget

And maybe they were all originally inspired by Jerome Lester Horwitz (nyuk!)

Farfromgeneva

Re: The Song Remains the Same

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:49 am Very surprised to see this Led Zeppelin concert movie, in its entirety, free on YouTube.

I’ve shown it to my son but Youtube.
See Martin, Malcolm
OuttaNowhereWregget

Great Movie Free on YouTube

The Brinks Job (1978)

OuttaNowhereWregget

Rounders

As triumphant endings go, Rounders is right up there.

JoeMauer89

Re: Rounders

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:58 am As triumphant endings go, Rounders is right up there.

Great movie.

joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

A remake of All the King's Men that works

I like Sean Penn as Willie Stark in the remake of 1949's All the King's Men. One of my favorite Penn characters. Some great lines in this speech.

"I got a story about a red-necked hick--like yourselves, if you please."

"Them in them strip-ed pants."

"You are a Hick--and ain't nobody never helped a Hick but a Hick hisself."

Farfromgeneva

Re: Rounders

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:58 am As triumphant endings go, Rounders is right up there.

Ahh Binghamton!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MzoaY_tmHg8
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Saw Dune. It’s a mesmerizing film. Remarkable in many ways. I love it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:59 pm Saw Dune. It’s a mesmerizing film. Remarkable in many ways. I love it.
Agreed!
https://collider.com/dune-part-2-release-date-delayed/
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Company Men (2010)

There have been a few movies that I've seen for the first time that I was compelled to watch over immediately. For whatever reason, they hit the spot at the time and I sat through it again on the same day. The first time I remember doing this was when I was back in high school. Back then there was a new double feature daily at the Harvard Square theater. This one particular day it was an early Martin Scorsese double feature: Mean Streets/Taxi Driver. Taxi Driver was first. I sat through Mean Streets and stayed for Taxi Driver again. The owners/operators of the theater weren't strict about people staying for multiple viewings.

All to say, that happened for me yesterday for one of the rare times with The Company Men (2010). I had an afternoon to spend with all the errands done and a cozy atmosphere and mood for a new movie. As it is free at the moment on Tubi, I decided to give it a try. For whatever reason, it just hit the spot. Maybe the fact that I am changing jobs had something to do with me liking it. I thought it was well done. My kind of flick. A quiet drama as I call them. I am not a fan of Ben Affleck, but he was tolerable in this. He gets fired right at the beginning and I felt drawn in to see how he handled it. It was a good story which was based on a very recent and notable time in our country's history. There were more than a few good scenes. I enjoyed Tommy Lee Jones, Rosemarie DeWitt, Chris Cooper and Kevin Costner in a rare supporting role as the needling yet sympathetic blue collar contractor. I can see being in the mood to see it again soon, maybe even today after I get home from work.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Social Network--Film Noir?

I know this film wouldn't typically be cataloged as such, but it is a dark film. On the whole, a story of betrayal, excess, hatred, grudges, gross self-centeredness, psychosis and greed. Not exactly what makes for an appropriate selection on family movie night. It is captivating however. I don't know how much the writer of the screenplay played fast and loose with the truth, but enough of it we know to be true. Jesse Eisenberg makes Zuckerberg more compelling and likable than anything about his real life demeanor--that I've witnessed anyway. Though he was underhanded and easily manipulated in the film, I still find myself rooting for him in spite of his glaring character flaws, and identifying with his frailty and remorse each time. The only character I find with any real integrity in the film is Eduardo "Wardo" Saverin. I'm always moved when he is awarded a degree of justice in the end. Seeing it from his perspective, in the film at least, tempers my enjoyment of being influenced to find anything likable in Zukerberg's character.

The Social Network is one of those movies I've seen multiple times and yet it always hits the spot when I find myself in the mood for it. The dialog is rich and witty for the most part. The opening segment alone is chock full. My favorite scenes are during the depositions/hearings/whatever--the legal aspects being wrangled over are particularly intriguing. I've long since divorced myself from Facebook. But one can't deny the place it has had and still has in world culture--and it all came largely from one guy. Remarkable.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Great scene from The Brink's Job

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”