D3 All Americans 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

D3 All Americans 2021

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Curious to see how D3 All Americans are chosen this season. A team with a player that’s only played in 5 or 6 games this season and is declared an AA is a bit of a farce I feel. If a player was injured and did not play past his 6th game of the season I doubt he’d make AA. I don’t see crediting someone AA honors on the assumption that after 6 games that their stats would hold up over a regular season schedule. This should be interesting. Last season it was about 110 I got tired 😴 of counting. Maybe be their trying to get parents to buy more magazines
ah23

Re: D3 All Americans 2021

Post by ah23 »

On the other hand, I think it would be a farce to withhold AA honors from guys who are clearly All-American caliber (e.g., Mac Bredahl, Luke Keating) simply because another player's conference let them more games during a pandemic.
ergit

Post by ergit »

ah23 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:16 pm On the other hand, I think it would be a farce to withhold AA honors from guys who are clearly All-American caliber (e.g., Mac Bredahl, Luke Keating) simply because another player's conference let them more games during a pandemic.
I don’t know that you can judge based on a handful of games. In Tuft’s case though, you can add in Tournament games which probably constitutes a pretty decent body of work. So yes, they would be deserving in my mind. Williams, Wesleyan et al, not so much.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

ergit wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:37 pm I don’t know that you can judge based on a handful of games. In Tuft’s case though, you can add in Tournament games which probably constitutes a pretty decent body of work. So yes, they would be deserving in my mind. Williams, Wesleyan et al, not so much.
Are AA votes sent in and tabulated before the NCAA tournament is complete?
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

As far as attackmen hands down Melton and Ferrara should also both be AA’s
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

ah23 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:16 pm On the other hand, I think it would be a farce to withhold AA honors from guys who are clearly All-American caliber (e.g., Mac Bredahl, Luke Keating) simply because another player's conference let them more games during a pandemic.
Agree. Racking up points in 14 games against sub par talent doesn’t make you an all American. If your team/conference had only had 6 game schedule, so be it. Not the kids fault. You can’t tell me the committee can’t determine talent with X number of games.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Dips_lax wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:16 pm
ah23 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:16 pm On the other hand, I think it would be a fa rce to withhold AA honors from guys who are clearly All-American caliber (e.g., Mac Bredahl, Luke Keating) simply because another player's conference let them more games during a pandemic.
Agree. Racking up points in 14 games against sub par talent doesn’t make you an all American. If your team/conference had only had 6 game schedule, so be it. Not the kids fault. You can’t tell me the committee can’t determine talent with X number of games.
Entitlement...
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

There is typically a very distinct correlation between AllAmerican and 1st team Conference honors (makes sense)... especially for the less deep conferences. But this year, take the NCAC for example- they spilt the All Conference awards into 2 , East and West. A 1st Team All NCAC selection for a Senior (particularly if DU or OWU which it normally is) was imperative to get AA recognition and getting it as a senior would give that player a better than 50-50 chance at AA HM. Not going to happen this year I’m afraid. Especially when there are 2 1st teams, an East and West. I think some deserving players might get the COVID whammy one last time as they head out the door. Of course I’m speaking most particularly of the NCAC as I have observed of the years. Deeper conferences may see a 2nd team awarded AA.

I believe AA is voted prior to the NCAA tournament to answer someone’s earlier question.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

Both of the players I mentioned have done a lot more than rack up points against inferior teams. Always cracks me up to hear NESCAC/Northern fan slant the narrative and imply the competition is so much more superior, blah blah blah (and Tufts fan please do not cite your Amherst win in ‘20) - that was a shell of the team it had been the year befor and soon to be embroiled in controversy.) I’m not necessarily disagreeing about Bredahl or Keating, but they too racked up points against teams that certainly weren’t world beaters. The lack of respect you show to your competition is “almost” funny. I am openly a Salisbury fan and there are a number of other Gulls that should make the list as well Bromwell, Apgar, Murphy, Malamphy, Greik, Ellis (case could be made for the freshman LSM Defazio).
The same crap was being said during the entire ‘19 season - when the Gulls lost in the semis, you could hear the NESCACians popping the champagne corks- and I think we all remember what happened then...
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

LarumVictoia wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:22 pm Both of the players I mentioned have done a lot more than rack up points against inferior teams. Always cracks me up to hear NESCAC/Northern fan slant the narrative and imply the competition is so much more superior, blah blah blah (and Tufts fan please do not cite your Amherst win in ‘20) - that was a shell of the team it had been the year befor and soon to be embroiled in controversy.) I’m not necessarily disagreeing about Bredahl or Keating, but they too racked up points against teams that certainly weren’t world beaters. The lack of respect you show to your competition is “almost” funny. I am openly a Salisbury fan and there are a number of other Gulls that should make the list as well Bromwell, Apgar, Murphy, Malamphy, Greik, Ellis (case could be made for the freshman LSM Defazio).
The same crap was being said during the entire ‘19 season - when the Gulls lost in the semis, you could hear the NESCACians popping the champagne corks- and I think we all remember what happened then...
Fake news. Amherst 2020 was not a "shell of a team." You Salisbury guys are brutal, like talking hockey with a Canadian.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:36 pm
LarumVictoia wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:22 pm Both of the players I mentioned have done a lot more than rack up points against inferior teams. Always cracks me up to hear NESCAC/Northern fan slant the narrative and imply the competition is so much more superior, blah blah blah (and Tufts fan please do not cite your Amherst win in ‘20) - that was a shell of the team it had been the year befor and soon to be embroiled in controversy.) I’m not necessarily disagreeing about Bredahl or Keating, but they too racked up points against teams that certainly weren’t world beaters. The lack of respect you show to your competition is “almost” funny. I am openly a Salisbury fan and there are a number of other Gulls that should make the list as well Bromwell, Apgar, Murphy, Malamphy, Greik, Ellis (case could be made for the freshman LSM Defazio).
Fake news. Amherst 2020 was not a "shell of a team." You Salisbury guys are brutal, like talking hockey with a Canadian.
Never heard that one before...
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

The feeling is mutual
ergit

Post by ergit »

LarumVictoia wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:51 pm
The feeling is mutual
NESCAC and Gulls, brutal together...
ah23

Post by ah23 »

(removing duplicate post)
Last edited by ah23 on Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

LarumVictoia wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:22 pm (and Tufts fan please do not cite your Amherst win in ‘20) - that was a shell of the team it had been the year befor and soon to be embroiled in controversy.)
This alone is enough to know I don't need to read anything else in your comment.

(Because it seemingly needs stating: I am not a Tufts fan, alumni, parent, whatever. I am a person with eyes who watches lacrosse and can recognize great players/teams.)
ergit wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:53 pm Entitlement...
It's not entitlement. It's reality. Why do you think Luc Swedlund was only an Honorable Mention All-American in 2019 when he led the nation in scoring with 100 goals? The people in charge of determining All-Americans are more than capable of evaluating merit whether a player's team was limited to six games or sixteen, and competition is a factor.

If this were a normal year and a player was limited to six games because of injury then you'd be right. But this is not a normal year, and players were limited by circumstances out of their control. They (people like Bredahl or Keating) played every game they could and lit it up in every game to lead undefeated teams to high seeds in the NCAA tournament. What more can they possibly do?

Edit: your point about teams like Williams or Wesleyan is fair. I would point out that for people like Ronan Jacoby or Harry Gahagan, it isn't exactly a secret that they are All-American caliber players. A limited body of work should not detract from their candidacy. What I imagine will happen is established players get the benefit of the doubt (as I think they should) and less established players do not (which I also think is fair).
Last edited by ah23 on Fri May 14, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Here's a stat for you Gulls fans, it has been 750 days since Tufts lost a lacrosse game and about 59 days since Salisbury has.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:19 pm Here's a stat for you Gulls fans, it has been 750 days since Tufts lost a lacrosse game and about 59 days since Salisbury has.
Absolutely correct.

Here’s another stat - it’s been 2192 days since Tufts won its’ 3rd NCAA championship. It’s been 1447 days since Salisbury won its 12th.
Dehuntshigwa’es

So by that logic if a great player was injured or suspended in the second or third game of the season and has “ All American” caliber they should be voted in. Isn’t that just rationalizing a presupposed disposition in wanting to give something to someone rather than earning it. I think this is a very slippery slope. I think players who played a legitimate season where they played 10, 12, 15 games whatever number should be given first consideration rather than hand somebody an award. Elections have consequences
Dehuntshigwa’es

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:19 pm Here's a stat for you Gulls fans, it has been 750 days since Tufts lost a lacrosse game and about 59 days since Salisbury has.
Absolutely correct.

Here’s another stat - it’s been 2192 days since Tufts won its’ 3rd NCAA championship. It’s been 1447 days since Salisbury won its 12th.
😂😂😂😂😂. 👏👏👏
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

AA should be earned over longer period / # of games then just 5 or 6.. Injuries could slow a player, key plays in big game or end of game situations factor in as does leadership, sportsmanship become evident (or hotheaded, cheap shots) and #’s over time.. Sure, not their fault that woke NESCAC Presidents didn't support athletics but.. that how the cookie crumbled.

Jared Nelson for example has help rebuild the Pheiffer helping established culture with his work ethic, made teammates better, and they made NCAAs 1st time.. Yes, he’s played weaker competition but so have others. His #’s are eye popping and deserves 1st team IMO

I hope LYN gets 5. Will only say LYN Gallagher is a 1st team Pole and LYN Dean is 2nd team middie.

Won’t list HM - can the # of HM AA’s be trimmed a bit.. I know lots are deserving and lots more teams compete then the old days but geez..

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”