kramerica.inc

Re: Selection Committee Gripes

Post by kramerica.inc »

AreaLax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:01 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:26 am
NovaHound wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:03 am :lol:
Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am is loyola even going to be able to play?
Guess we'll find out :lol:
Reports are test was a false positive
Seems awfully extreme to rely on one test to make such an extreme decision, only to find out hours later it was a false positive. Hmmm....
The PL championship decision was made under a compressed timeframe. Not a lot of time to think. Just react. A decision was made out of an abundance of caution. Not just for Loyola but also the Lehigh players.
Odd that they have not officially announced that even through back channels of IL.
Why would they?
It's not Toomey or any coach's desire to talk to IL or even the real media.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:30 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am Of course you had the “Rutgers has to get in because the BigTen is so tough” specious assertions with zero actual, tangible evidence, so why not look at 2011 Bucknell as a reference point?

(same folks insisted and told me flat out I was wrong that MD was definitely the 1 seed so they were all wrong but of course the arrogance never ends)
From Patrick Stevens interview it sounded like Rutgers was not a question but rather Cuse being a question of if they should be in.
That’s nowhere near “hop would beat anyone in the top 8. Rutgers would destroy all these teams. The ACC sucks. Everyone outside the BigTen sucks. Etc etc”

Now it’s flipped to “ya know, they weren’t the last bubble team in”
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The way I remember it was that RU was only an elite FO man away from being a FF team.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That guy disappeared real fast once Rutgers got beat by Hop.
See Martin, Malcolm
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

To me one of the biggest blunders was giving Duke a rematch with a team they already beat by 20 goals this season. I understand that geography came into play but it wouldn't have been too hard to avoid a first-round rematch. Duke will almost certainly win no matter who they play but giving them a High Point team they disemboweled in March doesn't seem fun for anybody.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

They played UNC too so you’re effectively saying MD should’ve gotten HPU and UVM to Duke? Is HPU within 400mi of college park? I just stayed for two nights last week between the Piedmont Triad Airport and High Point, it’s not near 95 but rather other side not far off I77 and on I-85 so I guess you’d drive 85 to Petersburg and then up to CP. But if this is the alternative then I see why keeping HPU in Raleigh Durham made sense and it seems 1-16 was going to include Monmouth regardless of who was #1
See Martin, Malcolm
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Could have done:

High Point to Maryland
Vermont to Notre Dame (at Denver)
Drexel to UVA
Bryant to Duke (at UNC)

That not only avoids rematches but it also saves you a flight compared to the current setup as Drexel would not have to fly to Virginia. I'm sure there are other combos that work logistically and maintain bracket integrity.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It seems while they don’t seed the bottom 8 that Drexel was going to be outside the “bottom 4” and why not swap out Loyola for Drexel and send them to either UND or UVA. That’s still three flights though or did you see HPU being inside 400mi?

I don’t mind that but I don’t think that specific HPU/Duke matchup is that big of a thing if you have to spend a lot of time on permutations when there’s other aspects to the bracket they want to spend a lot more time on and you’ve got a down the road opponentZ

I mean heck a long time ago in 2004 Hobart got an at larger on another streak including beating Cornell the very last game of the reg season, after the PL final even, and sent them to Ithaca the very next week for round 1. It’s about as consistent as seeing Cuse and Rutgers get in over Del which you acknowledged was more based on how they function that ideals.
See Martin, Malcolm
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:34 am Could have done:

High Point to Maryland
Vermont to Notre Dame (at Denver)
Drexel to UVA
Bryant to Duke (at UNC)

That not only avoids rematches but it also saves you a flight compared to the current setup as Drexel would not have to fly to Virginia. I'm sure there are other combos that work logistically and maintain bracket integrity.
If they really wanted to reduce travel, the NCAA should have dropped DEN as a tourney site this year, and promised them the tourney host next year. Instead, could've used NYC, Philly, or even B'More. Flying a bunch of teams to Colorado makes little sense.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 am To me one of the biggest blunders was giving Duke a rematch with a team they already beat by 20 goals this season. I understand that geography came into play but it wouldn't have been too hard to avoid a first-round rematch. Duke will almost certainly win no matter who they play but giving them a High Point team they disemboweled in March doesn't seem fun for anybody.
I agree, though HPU comes in with some momentum and confidence. I concur that the committee did a poor job with the matchups and see the proximity part as somewhat lazy but that's why I'm not on the committee I guess...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

camskidamski wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 am To me one of the biggest blunders was giving Duke a rematch with a team they already beat by 20 goals this season. I understand that geography came into play but it wouldn't have been too hard to avoid a first-round rematch. Duke will almost certainly win no matter who they play but giving them a High Point team they disemboweled in March doesn't seem fun for anybody.
I agree, though HPU comes in with some momentum and confidence. I concur that the committee did a poor job with the matchups and see the proximity part as somewhat lazy but that's why I'm not on the committee I guess...
high point has turned around a result (7 goal loss) with richmond, has experience playing acc teams and not just this year, and fo and goalie play has been streaky.
i doubt they'll cut down dramatically on their turnovers, but for a 2 seed matchup? i don't give them a great chance to win, but a better one than the normal 2 seed walkover to make it a game.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Big Dog wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 am If they really wanted to reduce travel, the NCAA should have dropped DEN as a tourney site this year, and promised them the tourney host next year. Instead, could've used NYC, Philly, or even B'More. Flying a bunch of teams to Colorado makes little sense.
This is somewhat true, but Notre Dame would have had to fly anyway, (and so would Denver if they weren't hosting) so really, you are only flying two extra teams to Colorado. Those teams will likely fly commercial, so the cost is perhaps $30,000 per flying team instead of $60,000 with a charter.

The benefits of spreading the bids are that Denver gets a reward for being top 8 instead of flying east again as they all year, and Notre Dame hosts a semifinal this year, so you reward western teams for bidding and growing the game beyond the east coast. There's value in that...
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

How can geography come into play when 6 flights will be required in the first round?!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”